Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kiba

[P4A] News & Gameplay Discussion

How are the voice options? Can you pick character's voice languages individually or is it just All English or All Japanese?

Edit: Oh, I see in the screenshot, looks like it's all one or the other.

I'm sure it's probably hard to get an impression right now, but any idea on the netcode? I'm assuming it's roughly the same thing as BB?

The only reason MvC3 did that was because most of Capcom's characters are either Japanese or were originally voiced in Japan and sound better in their respective languages, with a few exceptions. It's a good idea, but it's not something I'd expect a game based on a JRPG to do.

Here's hoping for better online play.

Hi guys, I was able to go to the Atlus offices, and they allowed me and some friends of mine to spend a few hours testing things. Here are our findings:

Wakeup Options

-You cannot wake up backdash, there is a small window where you simply won't backdash at all. This is similar to BB's cant-backdash-immediately on landing introduced in CS1 onwards. You can still use roll, B+D, wakeup super, etc just fine.

-There is no manual quick getup. The only ground option is to neutral tech or wait for your character to automatically quick getup.

-The quick getup animation is cancelable into ANYTHING, including blocking. So you can't punish this at all, you either hit them while theyre knocked down, or you let them get back up.

Counter Hit Properties

-CH with normals, throws, and specials adds 10% more damage to the first attack, but it's not consistently so. It seems that some multi hitting attacks (such as yukiko's 5C or mitsuru's ground throw) do get 10% bonus damage on all hits, while others (such as Kanji's command throw) do not. only the first hit of kanji's command throw (where he tosses you to the wall and does 250ish damage) gets the 10% bonus.

-CH with supers add 20% more damage. Similar inconsistencies found as above.

-CH with throw adds more untech time

-Fatals follow the same rules for damage bonus. Forgot to test things regarding wallstick/bounce and fatals

Jumping, Air Options

-You can not block for the first 5 or so frames once you are airborne. This makes 5As good for anti-chicken block. Double jumps do not suffer this penalty.

-You regain all your air options (air dashes, double jumps) after you air normal block, air instant block, air ukemi, or break air throws

-You can hold the button to air ukemi asap. This means you can stop piano-ing buttons during opponents combos :)

-Like GG, you can not Superjump > double jump. You can only air dash after a super jump. (unless you regain your air options as described above

Short Hop

-Short hop appears to have Foot attribute invul on Frame 1.

-You can not jump or air dash during short hop, even if you RC an attack.

-You can not block during short hop at all.

-Short hop has landing recovery.

-forgot to test if throw invul in Frame 1

Command Interpreter

-like BB, you can input things during super freeze and they execute immediately afterwards

-No negative edging of specials

-We could not tell if there was a hold-button-to-repeat-input thing like BB or if you could input dashes early like BB. It's pretty hard to test given that we aren't familiar with character's combos or frame data.

-You need to input 22 to do 22 motions. Mikey (the soCal carl player) described it to me that carls use some special 32 input to summon nirvana during combos, but that doesn't seem to be an option ehre. In either case, I don't understand it well enough to explain it any better haha. Ask a carl player what he's talking about!

Other stuff

-mashing 4A will not give you the auto combo. Your character will simply do 5A and not cancel into anything. Mashing 6A will do the auto combo. Exception: Mitsuru can mash 4A for the auto combo (likely so she can charge a drill).

-the super armor on A+B attacks will not guard against super attacks

-Minimum Damage on supers appears to be 30% for most, but iirc we found a few that were 20%

-Damage scaling will push damage of things down to 0, just like BB

-some persona attacks will auto correct to attack in the direction of the opponent, even if you jump and air turn to face away from the opponent such as Teddie's j.C.

-Teddie can hold down the item throw button to throw 2 items at once.

-Teddie's persona wind up animation for item throwing has a hitbox haha. hits multiple times

-No super cancel on whiff

-No TRM

-the last normal of an auto combo (5AAA for most chars) gives you 12 or 13 meter and refil a part of your burst gauge (1/8th?)

-forgot to test how long SP gauge cooldown lasts.

I apologize if any of this info turns out to be incorrect. We came in with a list of questions about the engine and we tried to test them the best we could.

Thanks a bunch for the new info shtkn. You acquired and found some really interesting stuff from testing the game out. :)

What, no invite shtkn? :v:

J/k, that was a good read, especially the part where you can't block in the first 5 frames after a jump. That's obviously going to change how much people will attempt to jump out after a combo or gap in a blockstring. :)

Thank god for tighter pressure and strong oki for the whole cast. I love BB, and it's gotten better in this regard since the first game, but sometimes I really wish they get rid of wakeup roll or make it more vulnerable.

Regarding no super cancel on whiff, can't Mitsuru's reversal be cancelled into super on whiff? Or only on block? I thought I saw this in a video before and remember it was one of the major complaints about her, but I could be mistaken.

"Throw Reject Miss", when you try to break a throw before the exclamation point actually appears. It looks like P4U won't punish you for not reacting to a throw, but you can't "purple throw" chars in block/hitstun in P4U like you can in BB (afaik?).

What's TRM? Haven't touched BB in so long.

trm stands for dumb shit.

zeromus is right

everything looks legit on the list. were short hops made specifically for the paralyze ailment?

Ohh yeah throw reject miss...lol. Man, this game...so much focus in the fundamentals! It's just so fine-tuned :').

There are still gold bursts, you just can't start a combo off them (but you get max meter like GG). WAKE UP GOLD BURST probably won't be very good in this game if that's what you meant lol.

I hope BB3 takes on the "One More Burst" concept, instead of now where you can use a Gold Burst to extend your combo but only after certain moves and usually only after an unintuitive "jump cancel cancel".

So I've heard unfortunate things about the online being laggy. That true or just some Mud-slinging?

The 360 is having issues online. PS3 is perfectly fine.

The 360 is having issues online. PS3 is perfectly fine.

Oh thank god I pre-ordered the ps3 version lol. By "perfectly fine" you mean like BB's netplay?

I still fear that it'll all get worse when US gets it. :v:

Oh thank god I pre-ordered the ps3 version lol. By "perfectly fine" you mean like BB's netplay?

I still fear that it'll all get worse when US gets it. :v:

I forget, does preordering get you any goodies? Wondering if I should, seems like P4U might sellout at the gamestop here if I don't.

I forget, does preordering get you any goodies? Wondering if I should, seems like P4U might sellout at the gamestop here if I don't.

Yes it gets you music CDs.

Wait, on second glance it could just be the case for the soundtrack. :v: I guess we'll find out when the game is released lol.