Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spirit Juice

Sol vs Zappa

Matchup Statistics:

Openers:

Okizeme:

Punishes:

Counters:

Anti airing:

Zoning:

Their game plan:

Strategy:

Char specific details:

-- Member Submitted Info Section (if valid).

Ah, this one is a crazy match. To me, the best thing to is to be defensive, especially when he is trying to get Raoh, which is throughout the ENTIRE match! :gonk: When he does the attack where he throws ghosts at you, block that. Once you get hit, random projectiles are thrown in from both sides. If Raoh doesn't kill you, then this will. :v: Refrain from doing a lot of blockstrings, and don't end them in Bandit Revolver/Bringer or Gun Flame. This will give Zappa time to react and get closer to summoning Raoh. When he has Raoh, be sure to Faultless Defense, especially with Raoh's ODs. They give you loads of block damage. And they have range that goes far. Best thing for offense is to not use GF when it's possible for him to jump, and take him down with VV and normals when possible. When hit by a ghost, you want to hit him as soon as possible, or you'll suffer horribly. :eng101: Best thing is to stay in the ground, as Zappa can get you when in the air, but you can VV to stop that. And watch out when he tries to put you in a dust attack, and be careful when psych bursting in defense. It's good to keep track of your tension throughout this, making Tyrant Rave better to use than Dragon Install, as when you are knocked down, you lose the effect, and either way you lose all your tension. Tension is best used for Tyrant Rave, FD and FRC in this match. That's all I can say for this one.

Yeah Wild Throw seems especially good here. As for punishes, you can punish the Sword's 236S, H (sword stab > pull back move) IB or not, (but IB makes it hella easier) with a CH 6H (first hit) > GV but you usually have to dash forward a little before doing 6H. And the CH 6H (first hit) combos into GV on level 3 stun recover so its pretty much guaranteed.

I actually had some problems with this lately, and have asked some other zappa players i know. So some of this is what I speculate from playing Shogun17, zappa in minnesota,

and Ukyo Tachibana's advice. There is a ton of stuff to say about zappa since its a different game for a different spirit so bear with me. Also since there is so much to cover, this may be a bit incomplete, but this is my understanding.

Matchup Statistics: 5.5 - 4.5 in Sol's favor or some say 6 - 4 in Sol's favor. I think it's really not that bad depending on what spirit zappa has.

Openers: 5S, 2D, or just block since a # of zappa's i have played seem to like to summon in the beginning if you like to stick stuff out.

Okizeme: Command grab will beat out most of what zappa can wakeup into, and if zappa tries to summon, you can command grab him (if they have less then half tension). DP -> RC will also snuff out anything zappa throws out.

Other options I use are, GF if they are lower than 1/2 tension, otherwise, super safe j.S, or GF -> FRC -> jump if you have the tension to do it. zappa can super through gunflame, and even if you do block it, you can't really punish it. GF -> FRC -> jump, straight up, or d.GF -> FRC over them usually lets me avoid things completely and i don't have to guess either. Zappa also gets some invulnerability if he wakesup with a summon on chance, so to avoid random bad stuff happening, both options help out.

Punishes:you get a free 5S -> 5H and gain the offense if you block a summon. depends on how close, otherwise if you are close enough you can get a free command grab. i often get pushed back a lot from blocking a summon. zappa has a good backdash, so a lot of the time when zappa has a summon blocked, i usually see zappa's backdash to try to compensate for their mess up. so throwing out GF to anticipate this can prevent them from doing something other than block, or else 5S -> 2S, and try to use the anxiety of compensating for a mistake to land a mixup.

if you block the 236S follow-up, you can do mostly whatever you want to zappa.

Counters: Sword is really annoying for me. Mainly because zappa has some range on his sword. Grand viper is pretty risky, but its useful, and if you are blocking and spacing right, throw isn't really a threat to you at that range, so you could save up for tension. d.GF -> FRC also helps a lot to compensate for the difference in range.

Anti airing:

I never had any problems 5K'ing a lot of zappa's tools. No really ridiculous jump-ins, minus raoh stuff.

Zoning:

Their game plan:

With ghost and sword, it just feels like they are trying to annoy you. Actually, I was talking about this briefly with a friend while getting a burger and as he straight out said, "Zappa has a lot of tools to annoy you, and if he does, he is pretty much winning."

With dog, zappa just wants to catch you. Whenever I see anyone get caught by dog, they usually get killed right then. It is a lot better now than like #reload, since dog pushes back. It is good to understand dogs patterns, and options, for when there are holes, but for the most part, once your caught, your options are pretty restricted. Having DP is good and all to get out, but it can be expected from the zappa player. Dog absorbs one hit when it is active, isn't and then you get hit by a free summon, which is no good.

With Raoh, it feels like zappa just wants to get you to do something brash, like run in and get hit, or bait a jump, anything that leads to damage.

Strategy:

Ghost spaces where sol really can't do a whole lot. Zappa can run away and throw crap at you. Playing a good patient defensive game until you get in range. Any amount of ground you can close in the match can help.

When Zappa has dog, I usually just try to not ever get caught. If I can, I will kill dog or poke zappa, and my goal is one or the other, but focusing on one too much makes u lose sight of the situation, since both can cover each other. I do throw out gunflames from a distance to prevent dog from running in, but zappa can counter by letting dog take the hit, and running through the gunflame to punish sol for it. The strategy is not guaranteed, but it can prevent dog from advancing. I usually try to predict when zappa might try to advance with dog, and FRC-ing the gunflame, then playing it as if it were just sol and zappa on their own.

Against sword, 2D can go under a number of his attacks, but sword seems to be able to keep sol out of range to slide in with 2D. At close range, sol does fine against sword, but the main problem I have with sword is that zappa doesn't have to get into that range. GF -> FRC to open up offensive options, if you can space it right, then you can advance if zappa is forced into a position where he has to retreat, or block GF. GV will go under sword, but it can be expected if you do it too often. Sword feels the most annoying to deal with against sol.

With Raoh, I recommend just killing time until Raoh runs out. Raoh can do massive damage, but his mixup game isn't too hard to see. 5D is a slow overhead, and if he runs in, you have to guess between hit or throw. GV can go under his projectile, but not when it is aimed downward. The game turns into a 50/50 guessing game in that case, and it is a lot worse for sol if he gets hit. It is not a good idea to attack Raoh, and DP can be great if he is in range to counter some of his attacks, but Raoh does not have to get in range, and messing up is a lot worse for sol.

random additions: vs sword if you predict him to go into his 236S (sword rush) you should be able to grand viper under it. mixups to look out for are sword crossups using jH, and his 6H overhead into his hcb swipe. vs raoh 2D should be safe from raoh's DP so you may get some mileage off that if he's using it as an interrupt or as a wakeup move. As long as you can block his 5D with some consistency, and have meter for FD, there's no good reason for you to get hit by raoh. if your back is right against the corner he will not be able to combo off his throw, so in a weird way you are actually safer there than a lot of other positions. do not forget to air FD to block his projectile in the air, as this is a common, fatal error for players not used to fighting raoh often

When it comes to Raoh, Zappa players are damn anxious to kill, expecting you to jump on the defensive. RUSH THAT SH!T, sounds reckless and dumb but think about it, Abuse GV to close in on a ZAPPA start up frame, for some reason ZAPPA players for they have legs and fall for well timed GVs. It is not a good idea to attack i admit, but keeping him from attacking and using the predictability that comes from that time limit on raoh making them urging to land one hit can work to your advantage.

GV is a gimmic vs raoh

it can catch some zappa's at first out of orb summon, or super, but any with match-up experience vs sol or those that can use raoh patiently its a different game. Raoh has a 5H that will beat it and on counter hit can lead to darkness anthem loop. roah's 5S will trade which actually isn't so bad at this point, but really not what you should be aiming for. And if he throws the orb low it'll eat GV so =/.

and a response to tiamat from way back when

random additions:

vs sword

if you predict him to go into his 236S (sword rush) you should be able to grand viper under it. mixups to look out for are sword crossups using jH, and his 6H overhead into his hcb swipe.

sword's 236S will actually trade with GV (i dont know why) on anytime but the latter half of animation from 236S. The trade isn't in your favor so be careful.

Hello =] new to Posting, after watching you all talk for like....6 months I can finally post :D, hooray for privileges!

Some pointers from a Zappa player: Never jump in! Zappa's 6P beats even j.S in nearly every situation I can think of (even IAD j.S gets stuffed hard). Getting into the air is a bad idea against Zappa, his anti-air is top notch, unless he's in the air himself. His air-to-air is garbage, and sol has a lot of good options that will beat out anything other than Raou and maybe certain sword situations. If you get into the air first, prepare to get air throw punished. Zappa lacks a proper wakeup option, with the sole exception of super (or, with raou, Edguy, but if you knock down a zappa with Raou you should know this already and bait it). His summon will sometimes come out as wakeup if he tries it, but command grab beats it out every time-- Summon is very weak to throws, especially when it's just thrown out randomly, so bait it and punish it every time. Seriously, abuse your throws. Zappa has limited options to defend from grabs (in all modes except Raou and Dog, his j.D has throw invul. His backdash and jumping are his only other universal options, his sword's DP has throw invul and that's basically all he's got). Gunflame only with tension. There are some weird things zappa can do to mess with gunflame, like toss a ghost and frc to run through and punish, or, in some situations, can even do a running 5K and get around it. His super beats it out but if you FRC and super jump/IB you can get a free meaty punish. Don't underestimate the validity of Grand Viper. In this matchup, it's a great move because Zappa does not want to get into the air, yet it's basically the best option to avoid GV. If you throw it out at confusing times, you'll often mix Zappa up as it's a relatively quick and annoying move. One hit from GV can mean big damage on Zappa, and will beat out a lot of his moves, if not all of them, so if used wisely he'll be in trouble. Careful, if he blocks it he can get some really free punishes, so use with tension if necessary. 5K will almost always whiff on Zappa. He's too short for it to hit when he's running, or he'll just 6P under it and ruin your day. Never use it, even as anti-air (If the zappa is in the air he probably is coming down with the sword or Raou, or is doing a pressure string with the dog. The correct answer to all of these is DP that shit and teach him a zappa should never get in the air). 5S, 2S, 2D are all good moves against Zappa. 5S will stuff his 5K, and 2S and 2D will stuff his 6P. 2D can go under Edguy, but if the zappa's worth his salt he won't throw them out at times you can do that. Keep in mind 2D won't hit, but it's a good way to avoid the move for free punishes. Gunflame is still a good move, but don't get predictable/spammy with it. Throw out feint gunflame for tension and mindgames, Zappa's will react often poorly to this (Zappa's whole thing is mindgames, so he'll try to figure out if you're gonna feint next time or not-- just doing it once is enough to spook most). DP is your godsend move-- if Zappa's standing right on top of you on oki, NEVER try for a throw. 100% of the time he'll through out j.D or backdash just as you try for a throw to get a free punish. ALWAYS DP on wakeup. Preferably with tension mind you, or simply block. Throwing on wakeup will not end well for you. He can 6P under Tyrant rave, 5S, 5HS, 6HS (if he's close enough), 5K, 5P and probably 2P, 5D, and Fafnir. He can 5K over pretty much everything else. f.S will stuff Grand Viper, so do that shit as deep as you can. 6P beats ALL AIR MOVES. I can't stress that enough, there's nothing that will save you from it.