Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spirit Juice

Sol vs Axl

Matchup Statistics:

Openers:

Okizeme:

Punishes:

Counters:

Anti airing:

Zoning:

Their game plan:

Strategy:

Char specific details:

-- Member Submitted Info Section (if valid).

2. ???>VV!

This is Axl:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfII_YDoUDQ Sorry Shoto( I really like the song!) and DW. It had to be done. This shows you Axl's strats. Study or die.

-Faultless defense kills your pressure AND his. So if you find yourself being pressured.. FD!

-Axl has more range than Sol(obviously).

-If case you didn't know Axl's chains are part of his hitbox so you can VV 5P and j.S and 2P.

-His 3P is VV bait. Especially if he uses it for oki.

-Fear his damage output. Axl is at least just as strong as Sol if not stronger. That means he too has damaging combos that can take half life.

-Always, ALWAYS believe Axl is charging. ALL THE TIME. I don't care if you are a FULL SCREEN away he IS charging. He jumps in... by the time you can even think the word "jump" he is CHARGING.

-What is he charging? Rensengeki. What's that? Axl's 3-hit projectile. What's the big deal? Rensengeki does 3 HITS. That stuffs every move you have on the ground. So no Gunflame. Unless you can FRC it AND on reaction block rensengeki don't do it. Rensengeki will KILL Gunflame and you'll get hit. Is that all? No. Axl can FRC Rensengeki and go into a big damaging combo(for me I fear Axl's damage more than his range).

-If you block a 5P or 2P be very careful. As before believe Axl is ALWAYS charging(I don't care if they tell you they aren't they are). That means if you block his 5P/2P and begin to move Axl will have his rensengeki ready for you.

-Axl's unblockable... looks like some blue orb. A common reflex to this is to jump up/foward. Axl can feint his unblockable. Think of it akin to Gunflame feint but with far more chaotic results if you fall for it. Wait to see if it moves foward. If it moves foward IAD in to punish. Remember: make sure it moves foward cuz if you react too early a combo might just be waiting for you. If he feints it, remember: he is charging! ALWAYS. No matter what. Like Slayer buffering DoT. It's that serious.

-Axl's 5P/2P/j.S all have a vacuum effect that pulls you in. VV can beat them.

-TK Axl Bomber can be beaten with either VV or 5K. I'll opt for 5K more since you can get a Sidewinder combo in without using tension. Remember: Axl Bomber is a lvl.6 move like Sol's Fafnir. That puts you in a lot of blockstun.

I know I'm forgetting a few things. I'll do some practicing and post up later.

-Axl's unblockable... looks like some blue orb. A common reflex to this is to jump up/foward. Axl can feint his unblockable. Think of it akin to Gunflame feint but with far more chaotic results if you fall for it. Wait to see if it moves foward. If it moves foward IAD in to punish. Remember: make sure it moves foward cuz if you react too early a combo might just be waiting for you. If he feints it, remember: He is 6King you into 50%-60% damage combo shitshitithurtsohgodwhydoesn'titstop No matter what. Like Slayer buffering DoT. It's that serious.

fixt4u

are you claiming everything axl has beats out VV, or has a way to fight it?

Ignore that. It was nothing to be taken seriously at all. Besides Axl can beat/punish VV with his counter or Rensengeki. Whereas Sol can beat some of Axl's pokes with VV.

VV beats resengeki pretty solidly. counters u have to know more specifically what is coming. don't think it is something to really rely on, since you can put urself a lot more susceptible to other things like command throw. block beats out VV best.

Hmm..really? I was never able to beat Rensengeki so I thought it was able to beat VV since its a 3 hit projectile whereas VV only does 2 hits. I was able to beat Axl's 5P with Fafnir but that's very unlikey to happen in a real match seeing as how A) It can only be done up close and B) No Axl uses 5P at close range. Also Grand Viper can beat 2P at midrange. Go figure. Also teching against Axl... could be a horrible idea. If you tech its best to FD or VV his 6K. 6K can lead straight to his Axl bomber loop. 6K is Axl's main AA of choice for its range and combo/damage potential.

I was able to beat Axl's 5P with Fafnir but that's very unlikey to happen in a real match seeing as how A) It can only be done up close and B) No Axl uses 5P at close range.

and you can't throw out fefnir as often as 5P to guess when he is going to 5P.

Also Grand Viper can beat 2P at midrange. Go figure.

GV goes under a lot of axl's stuff, but if i remember correctly resengeki snuffs grand viper. so do 3P and 2H. its okay if you feel your opponent isn't looking to try and counter grand viper and keeps throwin out stuff like 2P and 5P, and other moves that just go over GV, but its not your go-to move.

Also teching against Axl... could be a horrible idea. If you tech its best to FD or VV his 6K. 6K can lead straight to his Axl bomber loop.

VV in hopes you catch 6K in the air (if you are teching) seems like a lot more risk for your reward. to land it, you have to know what they are doing. that sounds as practical as just DP-ing whenever you tech to counter airthrows. why not just tech and FD? axl still has to recover from his move, and sol doesn't have moves to reach him.

6K is Axl's main AA of choice for its range and combo/damage potential.

2S and 6P seem a lot better against sol. beating out most of sol's moves when he jumps in, especially when its much more guaranteed if you see sol airdash, or dash jump in. 6K and 5P are great if u see them randomly jumping, but move of choice seems a bit strong. whiffing a 6K or 5P gives sol more room to move in, and any extra space sol has to work with is good for him, bad for axl.

from my understanding, sol can play this a lil like how shoto's play against dhalsim, since at the right ranges, S VV can catch axl's hand, and gives him the opportunity to move in on axl, where he wants to be. also at long range, if sol misses a DP, axl can't punish him really hard for it.

I'mna probably write a bit more on this after the next tourney I go to, but some things you should keep in mind: 1. To the people saying that VV beats out Rensen, you are correct, but there's no reason to do Rensen that close. Likewise, beating out pokes with VV isn't as good an idea as going for a cleanhit GV, which goes under more easily and nets you more damage. 2. Don't try to react to the rashousen feint. If you see a rashousen coming, you either have to guess, or jump and faultless, which is safer but won't always net you the punish you can get from an IAD. A good Axl will try to build some guardbar and then use setups that put you in a lot of blockstun before trying a rashousen, so if you guess wrong and don't FD, you could take a lot more than 60% damage. 3. I can't stress enough how good tick wild throws are in this matchup. You get a decent amount of damage, and especially if the Axl is trying to FD you out, there's not a lot he can do about it, having no particularly fast/safe/invincible moves to throw out and a 4F jump startup. 4. 6K and 6P are actually very awkward and situational as AA. What you should really be watching out for are 2S, 5P, and j.K. I'll even throw out the occasional Benten, 5H, Housou, or TK FB, but in general, approaching from the air isn't the smartest idea against the strongest AA character in the game.

Your f.S stuffs anything he throws at the start of the match. However, if Axl knows your going to do this, you just gave him a good 20-40% of your life bar. :vbang:

3. I can't stress enough how good tick wild throws are in this matchup. You get a decent amount of damage, and especially if the Axl is trying to FD you out, there's not a lot he can do about it, having no particularly fast/safe/invincible moves to throw out and a 4F jump startup.

I've noticed you mention a few times that Axl's slow jump results in him being easier to grab, which technically isn't the case! All jumps are unthrowable from frame 1 of jump startup, so you can always just hold up to escape tick throws. (If this wasn't the case, Robo-Ky would be extremely screwed without 1fj)

However you're not considered off the ground until your jump startup is over, which is the main reason the 4F jump startup is a problem. That extra frame gives Sol all the more time to 5K you on your way up on a baited jump, if you don't 1fj.