Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Renvalt

New to BlazBlue, FGs, these forums, PSN, and.... well, just about everything modern to gaming

Nobody picked up the game and instantly clicked with it. Nobody. Took my weeks to nail basic jump cancels (Pad) and stuff. But after a week or 2. Something click and BB becomes free.

Keep taking it like a man and it will pay off.

Nobody picked up the game and instantly clicked with it. Nobody. Took my weeks to nail basic jump cancels (Pad) and stuff. But after a week or 2. Something click and BB becomes free.

Keep taking it like a man and it will pay off.

I _STILL_ screw up jump cancel combos sometimes. I just suck at them because I have so many years of -holding- the joystick upwards during a jump. -_-

It's... an input issue with me. Specifically, DP motions are hard enough to do off-hand (doesn't mean I don't try to grind them out), and there's also the issue of chaining two quarter circle moves together.

I set out to remedy the latter, as I knew it'd just make mastering everything ELSE much harder. How I decided to do that was this: I came up with a combo of 5C>214A>236B>6C (with Hakumen). It's not foolproof, and I've no intention of using it outside of practice, but it helps me learn where in a certain special move I can chain. Fun fact: I actually got a 5-hit, 2735 red combo by doing this.

I also developed a variant on that when Howling taught me a way to make the 236B come out easier after the 214A. The way he taught me was instead of just returning to neutral afterward, I immediately do 41236 after the 214A lands. I accidentally hit C during one of my reps, and discovered that Zantetsu uses the same amount of Maga, but has more damage when done a certain way.

Thus, I developed: 5C>214A>41236C>2C. Both combos were red, and I think the latter reached 3k in damage. Now granted, I'm not good enough with this to try it on a real opponent, but it's THERE in case anyone didn't think on it.

At any rate, those Dustloop combos look nightmarishingly hard to pull off. There's gotta be a trick to it, but what?

Also, does it seem... strange.... to you that I would watch two other players play and.... erm... well... wonder what the hell they're doing? During my KOF days (KOF98/02) I was told to watch match videos. Well, I'm running into the same problem here that I did THERE - I'm gawking going "wtf" while trying to figure out what I'm supposed to learn. It's like I'm naught but a spectator at a boxing match, just standing dumbstruck and in awe. Is that..... normal, for newbs to do?

Are you on stick or pad?

Regardless, for DPs you always want to make sure you're decidedly in the corner of the input when you press the button. On stick, slam it into the corner of the gate and hold it there. On pad just make sure you've got full contact on both directions. The input is Z-shaped - if you draw it correctly, the input WILL come out. Turning on Inputs in training mode will help you see where you're messing up.

Also, with regards to you getting angry but swallowing it for the sake of pride... honestly, you shouldn't be getting angry, at all. You're learning, and there will be people better than you. A lot better. And they will destroy you. Some of them will even troll you. You can get mad, but if you don't direct that anger towards improvement, then it's just wasted energy. Better to just remain calm and objective. It's easier to see what you're missing and really judge your gameplay when you're not emotional about it.

For now it'd probably be best to focus on training and single player, get your inputs up to snuff before you tackle versus again.

I understand I'm supposed to have my fundamentals down. But really, if I *have* to do this, it won't be fun sitting at a blank clay dummy (Hakumen) just trying to master my inputs. That robs the fun out of why I even GOT into this genre in the first place right away.

In short: I don't play FGs to play alone, I play them for the fact they're MEANT to be played with others.

Besides, I can't really show anyone ELSE my own training vids or replays, so you virtually have no way to verify if I'm lying to you or not.

That's fine. I don't really use training mode except to learn new combos. Just play with other people and try to learn as you go. Pay attention to recurring mistakes, or moves that you get hit by often, and learn how to correct that.

If only BlazBlue netplay had maintenance times on their servers like most MMOs I see around the net do....

I could actually consider using that time to master my inputs.... OR I could go jam with Accent Core at Chrome's house. Two equally profitable ventures....

If only BlazBlue netplay had maintenance times on their servers like most MMOs I see around the net do....

Is it REALLY that hard to "warm up" with ten minutes of practice before you jump into the online fray?

No one is suggesting that you "grind out" this stuff for hours at a stretch, but ten minutes of input practice when you feel like playing will result in a marked improvement.

Think of it as your warmup stretches.

I understand I'm supposed to have my fundamentals down. But really, if I *have* to do this, it won't be fun sitting at a blank clay dummy (Hakumen) just trying to master my inputs. That robs the fun out of why I even GOT into this genre in the first place right away.

My mistake, I didn't realize getting your ass handed to you because you can't actually do your special moves was so much fun.

Seriously, practice.

The other thing about hakumen is that he's extremely difficult to play to a high degree. Most characters, when they land a hit, generally have only two or three things to consider with their followup combo. Hakumen adds a new dimension to it with his combos relying so heavily on how much meter he has available. A random hit with no magmata to hand won't lead to a lot of damage, but with 8 available that same hit might allow you to utterly wreck your opponent, and as a good hakumen player, you need to know the optimal combos for both situations, and all of those inbetween. I'm not saying this to put you off, only to say that you shouldn't beat yourself up that you don't know much, because there's a lot to learn. And if you can master at least some of it, you're probably better than quite a few of us other players who play simpler characters to learn.

But yeah, the thing about fighting games is that anything you can't do yet will feel impossible. Yet when you start knowing it and using it in battle, you'll look back and wonder why you ever found it hard.

It seems that people in the section are really melodramatic as of late. It's hard to give specific advice when you ignore the very core principle of every FG in history.

Practice.

Can't do something? Practice it. It's the No.1 undisputed piece of advice I can ever give, yet when we say it, it get's ignored around 99% of the time. They are not idle words, going into training mode and repeating the input will work. It's worked since SF2 and it still works now. It takes about 10 minutes every time you boot up. Do a few BNB's, Press buttons, get the feel. It's not difficult. In 3 months you'll look back and cringe.

/SemiRant

Is it REALLY that hard to "warm up" with ten minutes of practice before you jump into the online fray?

No one is suggesting that you "grind out" this stuff for hours at a stretch, but ten minutes of input practice when you feel like playing will result in a marked improvement.

Think of it as your warmup stretches.

The way you guys were talking, it SOUNDED as if you wanted me to grind this shit out for hours on end before I even set FOOT in netplay. I apologize if I misunderstood.

When you put it the way you just did, it sounds a lot more bearable.

The way you guys were talking, it SOUNDED as if you wanted me to grind this shit out for hours on end before I even set FOOT in netplay. I apologize if I misunderstood.

When you put it the way you just did, it sounds a lot more bearable.

Grinding for hours can actually be counter productive. It's like over training in sports. Another random training tip that I got from my old band director is that when practiceing always end with something you really enjoy. It's helpful because it you feel better afterward. Like I always ended practice by bringing in my least faveorite characters and turning teching off. Then I combo to my hearts content.

So I'm having some issues with the Hell's Fang inputs. No seriously, I kid you not - 25% of the time the damned pad doesn't even like me. Okay, well not 25% of the time, but I'm having issues doing this 100% of the time; especially after stuff like Throws and such.

I... don't know how to react, or how to play anymore. I mean, what's the deal if I can't even master the use of the Throw>214B>214D>623D>236C>214D input that Challenge 5 is quite well known for? I really don't understand why I can only use two separate inputs at a time, and why harder, more complex chains require me to leave myself open?

I just don't get this at all. I feel sluggish, heavy, weighed down even. Especially when I lose, it's like someone applied 20 pounds of liquid weight onto my chest, and it just FEELS AWFUL! It feels bad when I lose, man - especially when I lose in a fight where I had no chance at all.

Oh believe me, I am practicing. But I get varied accounts of "how long" to practice. Some say 10 minutes, some say hours on end - it's the confusion that makes it so damn stressful. I realize NOT practicing, or practicing too little will create more stress when I can't have the combos in my muscle memory. On the other hand, if I practice too long, I will become bored and lonely. Where do I draw the line, honestly?

I wish I could show you guys, but those who've fought me treat it as if it's no big deal, when to me it is the very thing that keeps others from saying "Just quit, man. These types of games aren't for you." If these types of games aren't for me, then competition - and by that right, life, are not for me.

I'm not satisfied with how things are right now, but yet I'm either trying too hard or not enough. Which is it with you guys?!

I think you're overthinking this.

If you want to improve at anything (fighting games or whatever), you obviously need to practice. That's pretty much a given. However, there's no right or wrong answer on how much you should be practicing. Everyone learns at their own pace. You say that ten minutes is not long enough to get anything down, but practicing for hours isn't helping either. Then you need to find something in-between that works for you. Try practicing without looking constantly checking the clock. When you start to feel bored, just put the game away. Any practice is better than no practice, as long as you're doing something productive.

Also, explore the options in training mode, there's almost always an answer for everything. You said that you were having trouble with inputs. Turn on input display, so you can see what you're doing wrong. Practice the motion until you get it right. Once you can do the input, then consistency will follow the more you do it.

Baby steps, one thing at a time. Don't worry about winning or losing at this point, worry about improving.

Practice for however long it takes, or for however long you can be bothered. We can't tell you exactly what to do, you needto tailor it to yourself. For example.

I hate playing games in silence. So I join an XBL party with a few people and I talk, a lot. About things that keep me entertained. I don't get bored and I have a laugh. Sometimes I add beer to the equation and things become even easier. Using this I'm sure one rainy wednesday I clocked about 6+ Hours in training mode completing Mu's entire combo thread. By the end of that I went into ranked and made the world look free, practice makes you godlike. But you need to be specific to your needs.

If you feel like not training enough would impact your performance. Put some music on, grab a beer/coke/water/juice or some eats. Make it casual and talk to some friends, go on Facebook, check twitter. Y'know?

Make it personal.

Well, not training enough obviously would mean I would be uncertain of my performance in the netplay world - especially since that's where I make all my gamer friends. There's only one around here who isn't from *there*, per se, but the fact remains we DID meet online. There's a shortage of gamers in my neck of the woods - specifically in the Eugene, OR/Springfield, OR area. I don't own, nor could even afford a car, let alone frequent bus trips to other cities.

So netplay is where I get my social fix amongst gamers - there's no built-in forum for gamers apart from maybe PlayStation Home, but I *lack* in the games department, and I'm quite sure nobody here uses that stuff. My point is that without someone to "enjoy" my efforts with, it feels like, well, wasted effort. I tried using Ragna, and I suffer from the same issues with him as I do with Hakumen, or pretty much everyone.

But if I practice too much, I start to get lonely and bored fast. I feel like a machine, and I want to think, feel, and act like a human being.

You guys've had to listen to me rant on about this crap - everyone's had to. So be honest with me - do you delight in making this a psychology thread? I'm gonna report this thread to be closed right now if you don't. Because honestly, the last thing I need is drama up in here.

I'm not exactly looking for a quick path to success, I'm just looking for what you guys deem "acceptable progress", a pace that you guys accept. After all, there is no netplay for me if you guys think I'm not worth the effort to play against.

I'm not exactly looking for a quick path to success, I'm just looking for what you guys deem "acceptable progress", a pace that you guys accept. After all, there is no netplay for me if you guys think I'm not worth the effort to play against.

Look; This is getting ridiculous. The only one who can decide what is "acceptable progress" for you is YOU. Same thing for how much practice time you "should" put in. That's all you, too. Are you satisfied with your rate of improvement? If not, then you probably need to practice more. If so, then you are probably practicing the right amount. Most of us here have never even seen you play, so how in holy heck are we supposed to say "Yeah, you're progressing just fine"? Especially in the face of your nonstop whining about how bad it feels?

Why the heck do you need "our" acceptance of YOUR rate of progress? Everyone learns at different speeds. Everyone has different aptitudes and backgrounds. There is NO universal "acceptable" rate of progress, unless you have some clearly defined goal like "I want to place in the top 8 at <insert tournament here>." which, clearly, you do not have. Therefore, the ONLY "acceptable" rate is the one where -you- can look back at your old replays and go, "Yeah, I'm better than that now."

Get over your need for "our" acceptance.

man, i can clock hours in training mode but i get bored when i play online haha

In competitive communities you are often only valued for your success and what you bring to your team. I can totally understand what this guy is getting at. If you aren't performing at an acceptable level you are just not going to be accepted as a good community member unless you provide a really useful service. You are otherwise a burden to your team, to the community, and a waste of better players' time.

So, if you aren't making good enough progress or winning enough, I suggest you invest in some equipment and provide a service to the community. Otherwise, you sink or swim by success, and that means you need to get wins in.

No one likes a loser.

So umm...don't talk to anyone until you are winning under the radar a lot.

Netplay is like getting into cold water. You just have to dive in; without playing online against people you aren't going to get on a level where you'll be able to challenge everyone anyway. So you need to get in there and just play. Forget about being "acceptable," everyone will play you if you're around, nobody cares who you are as long as they get to play someone.

In competitive communities you are often only valued for your success and what you bring to your team. I can totally understand what this guy is getting at. If you aren't performing at an acceptable level you are just not going to be accepted as a good community member unless you provide a really useful service. You are otherwise a burden to your team, to the community, and a waste of better players' time.

So, if you aren't making good enough progress or winning enough, I suggest you invest in some equipment and provide a service to the community. Otherwise, you sink or swim by success, and that means you need to get wins in.

No one likes a loser.

So umm...don't talk to anyone until you are winning under the radar a lot.

youre retarded. truly motivated players are great to have around, but you wouldnt know right???

people will play you if you are around! Dont worry about being "acceptable" or any of that. Star-demon just likes to be pessimistic.