WolfCrimson

Netplay Connection Improvement Guide

When it comes to tech/internet... :psyduck:

Is Linksys the superior in this case? Just wondering for future reference. I have no idea =/

When it comes to tech/internet... :psyduck:

Is Linksys the superior in this case? Just wondering for future reference. I have no idea =/

I've used Linksys all my life with no problems, a lot of people use them, especially with Comcast. I like the configuration page of this router that's for sure. In the end all that really matters is that it works lol. In general it's your ISP that's the most deciding factor.

Well it would appear both of us use comcast.

i used to have less ping, 33-34mbs for download speed and around 7 upload speed almost 3-4 days ago. Is there anything that causes it to drop? I usually test these past midnight (where no one else is using the internet but me). Anything to help inform a confused person.

Well it would appear both of us use comcast.

i used to have less ping, 33-34mbs for download speed and around 7 upload speed almost 3-4 days ago. Is there anything that causes it to drop? I usually test these past midnight (where no one else is using the internet but me). Anything to help inform a confused person.

Well, it's changing constantly depending on the traffic in your area. You should expect deviations from the amount you usually get, especially during prime time. Have to remember the Internet is fucking massive so even random events in far-away places can sometimes affect your conn. Doing a traceroute is always entertaining (let's you see where your packets "hop" to from router to router until they actually get to their destination)

There are so many things that are really outside your control that can be detrimental to your conn, such as a bad connector somewhere (I had a super bad connector when I first moved in and my conn kept dropping, had to call Comcast technician to fix it). So long as your speeds stay acceptable there's no need for concern, honestly. What is your advertised bandwidth on your internet plan?

Edited by Ctrlaltwtf

Well, it's changing constantly depending on the traffic in your area. You should expect deviations from the amount you usually get, especially during prime time. Have to remember the Internet is fucking massive so even random events in far-away places can sometimes affect your conn. Doing a traceroute is always entertaining (let's you see where your packets "hop" to from router to router until they actually get to their destination)

There are so many things that are really outside your control that can be detrimental to your conn, such as a bad connector somewhere (I had a super bad connector when I first moved in and my conn kept dropping, had to call Comcast technician to fix it). So long as your speeds stay acceptable there's no need for concern, honestly. What is your advertised bandwidth on your internet plan?

I'm usually playing at night so it makes me wonder why it just started to decrease in quality. Though, i guess there's a lot of more things i don't know than i thought.

I'm not sure, but i'm pretty sure my family is on the $69.99 xfinity double play. I have no idea how much that allows.

Another thing you can try if your connection seems cranky, is just run a ping to a reliable site for a while, and see if you get packet loss. For example:

ping -t www.google.com

Pinging www.google.com [173.194.75.106] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 173.194.75.106: bytes=32 time=23ms TTL=47

Reply from 173.194.75.106: bytes=32 time=24ms TTL=47

Ping statistics for 173.194.75.106:

Packets: Sent = 6, Received = 6, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 23ms, Maximum = 24ms, Average = 23ms

Control-C

---

You'll want to let it run a lot longer than that - an hour or two or whatever - but the important bit, really, is the Lost percent; If you have, honestly, any packet loss at all, you'll want to reach out to your ISP and say "hey, what the hell?" - I had this at my past place where there was, literally, some sort of issue with the wiring on my STREET which was causing all kinds of bad connection stuff. It took a few goes with my ISP to get them to finally send a repair guy who cared and knew what he was doing, but once we got one, he poked around and said, "Oh yeah. Look at that. Your signal is garbage even at the street. Lemme just... ohhhhh. Well, let's fix that then." and things were a lot better afterwards.

QoS stuff isn't, really, that important unless you are competing with other traffic on your internet connection - my understanding is that all that it really does is ensure that traffic from console gets "top priority" and doesn't wait behind someone else in the house watching Hulu or something. Still, it doesn't hurt to set it up. I actually just did that last night on my Dlink router. No idea if it made any difference, but sure didn't hurt.

QoS stuff isn't, really, that important unless you are competing with other traffic on your internet connection - my understanding is that all that it really does is ensure that traffic from console gets "top priority" and doesn't wait behind someone else in the house watching Hulu or something. Still, it doesn't hurt to set it up. I actually just did that last night on my Dlink router. No idea if it made any difference, but sure didn't hurt.

Probably the #1 reason people lag online is because their Mom/Sister is streaming Twilight on Netflix.

It's just one of those things that's a smart idea, even if it won't help outright with conn quality (nothing will except your ISP). DMZ is a great way to increase connectivity, but it won't do jack for improving your conn either.

I tried doing both guides for port forwarding on PS3 but I'm still getting NAT Type 3.

I'm assuming that means Strict? Try DMZ and then try resetting your router. NAT (Network Address Translation) is basically a problem with how ornery your router is being with accepting packets and sending them onto the proper devices. Sometimes resetting the router makes it go away. When you play BB (or online at all) you aren't actually connecting your consoles. You're really just connecting your routers (and to a greater degree, your modems) and then it becomes the responsibility of the router to get the packets to where they need to go. This is why your Local IP addresses are almost always the same; because they only affect your own network, not the one you actually use on the Internet.

Edited by Ctrlaltwtf

The 2nd guide already shows you hot to set DMZ and I already did that. I've also done reset my router a million times already.

look for an option somewhere that says something along the lines of "Block Anonymous Internet Requests" and try disabling it. It may help but unfortunately this NAT problem may simply be a problem with your router.

NAT isn't a "thing" that you set on your router, it's more like a test result from your connections. That's why it's the PS3 telling you that NAT has a problem because the PS3 is saying "based on how well I could connect to the internet, I rate the NAT on this network at level 3 (the 360 says "Strict" I believe)"

You can think of it as the PS3 saying "I can connect to the Internet, but I can't do all the things I wish I could." This can result in being unable to connect to certain players or unable to use voice chat etc.

Edited by Ctrlaltwtf

I've already tried that too. Didn't work either. Is it maybe something to do with the security? I think this might have happened when Dad changed the internet to have some kind of security.

I've already tried that too. Didn't work either. Is it maybe something to do with the security? I think this might have happened when Dad changed the internet to have some kind of security.

Security can affect it sure, do you have any idea what he did precisely?

Security can affect it sure, do you have any idea what he did precisely?

I don't have all the details but I know before having it, we didn't really have an internet security and didn't have a password to get online. But now we have WPA-Personal TKIP as our security and with a password. It's also needed to get into the router settings.

Does this mean you're on wireless?

Yes. Don't bother telling me to go wired because there's no way my parents will drill another hole through the floor and even then my ps3 and the router are like on the opposite sides of the house.

Yes. Don't bother telling me to go wired because there's no way my parents will drill another hole through the floor and even then my ps3 and the router are like on the opposite sides of the house.

Well when I had to go wired at opposite ends of a mobile home we used little hooks in the ceiling.

Apart from that though, there's really nothing I can do for you. :8/:

Okay so I connected my PS3 to my AT&T Uverse cable box via ethernet cable and my PS3 reads it as a Wired Connection so I guess I'm ready to give online a try again, but is it the same as connecting it to an actual modem? Just curious.

I iz back again. Ok, so I'm at my friend's house with my PS3 and his connection keeps giving me a Type 3 NAT which is preventing us from playing online, any tips?

I iz back again. Ok, so I'm at my friend's house with my PS3 and his connection keeps giving me a Type 3 NAT which is preventing us from playing online, any tips?

You'll have to open ports on the router (for the PS3) or just put the PS3 into DMZ mode. It's fairly simple to do really. No matter what you do however, it will probably just go to Type 2 NAT since it is going through a router (I'm assuming). If you are directly connected to the internet, that is the only time you'll be able to get Type 1 NAT (that I know of).

Quick google search to save you some trouble:

http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-Network-General/How-to-put-your-PS3-into-a-DMZ/td-p/10655314

Hope it helps.

I connected my PS3 to a AT&T U-Verse box for wired internet. But I still can't seem to increase online play connectivity. (I can only seem to play against people with no Internet connection restrictions...) What should I Do?

I connected my PS3 to a AT&T U-Verse box for wired internet. But I still can't seem to increase online play connectivity. (I can only seem to play against people with no Internet connection restrictions...) What should I Do?

Follow the port forwarding/DMZ instructions for the PS3 in the first post; This may require some figuring out on your part, but the functionality pretty much HAS to be available to you in some form.

Okay, now I have the PS3's Ip Address set to Port Foward, and I still can't get into a room with any restrictions what so ever...

Anyone got any ideas...

EDIT: It's not port fowarding, whenever I put in the IP address and set it to portforward, it switches the IP address to another device! This is really pissing me off!

Edited by Wild Candy

Okay, now I have the PS3's Ip Address set to Port Foward, and I still can't get into a room with any restrictions what so ever...

Anyone got any ideas...

EDIT: It's not port fowarding, whenever I put in the IP address and set it to portforward, it switches the IP address to another device! This is really pissing me off!

You need to assign the PS3 a static IP so that that address doesn't jump around; Exclude an IP from your DNS range, and use the PS3's network settings to assign that IP to the console.

You need to assign the PS3 a static IP so that that address doesn't jump around; Exclude an IP from your DNS range, and use the PS3's network settings to assign that IP to the console.

That's what I did...