Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Agni

How can I prevent myself from "blanking out"?

Always. Someone. Better.

You can say stuff like that and make up reasons to say you're bad compared to others, or you can spend that same amount of time looking for reasons to get better. That's all there is to it. There is no secret method to getting better except to just give it your all. I swear if you say "Well I am! It's not working Q_Q poor me!" Then obviously you aren't. The second you say something isn't working is where you messed up. If it's not working, then you got analyze what just happened and make a better decision next time.

That's most of how FGs work anyways. Lots and lots of choices. Probably gonna make the wrong ones in the beginning and you learn from it. When you start to understand the game more then your reactions to situations will be much better (both in speed and the actual choice itself) and you will notice you're more confident in your gameplay. You need to play to understand rather than focusing on wins/losses.

No more beating yourself up and making excuses. I'm sure you get tired of these walls of texts anyways right?

Okay, yeah, I'm way better than I used to be. But I'm nowhere near as good as I want to be. I'm nothing compared to those guys like...this. I think that was the second day Cake's actually played Extend, and look at him. I couldn't hope to do that shit in a million years.

I TRY but it's like...shit man, I dunno if this is the genre for me. I've tried and tried to get better but nothing works. Always. Someone. Better.

This is the kind of mindset that sets yourself back, you know why I know? Because I was there. I always wanted to be better than I am; in fact, everyone does. This takes time, no one becomes a killer in fighting games overnight it takes months, even years before you can get to a certain level of play. If you're doing what you say you are, then you may be progressing in skills w/o even knowing it if you are playing the same people, wanting to get better is a drive and a motivation, it's nothing you can obtain with a night of training.

Don't rush what takes time to develop, get in what you can, learn from your mistakes, hit up training mode and that will make you stronger. In the words of a Champion:

"I hated every minute of training, but I said 'Don't Quit. Suffer now, and live the rest of your life as a champion." ~ Muhammad Ali.

Losing is NOT bad at all, finding someone better is NOT bad at all. Why? Because when you find someone better it'll just give you all you need to get better, having a role model is great. Getting mad is good to a certain extent because you know you want to be great, nothing is ever set in stone. I could go on to lecture but everyone basically covered it.

Just do you. Whatever is comfortable with you do it.

Okay, yeah, I'm way better than I used to be. But I'm nowhere near as good as I want to be. I'm nothing compared to those guys like...this. I think that was the second day Cake's actually played Extend, and look at him. I couldn't hope to do that shit in a million years.

I TRY but it's like...shit man, I dunno if this is the genre for me. I've tried and tried to get better but nothing works. Always. Someone. Better.

If that's Cake as in the Tao player Cake, you do realize that he's been playing since CT right? Extend would be his 4th BB game. It took 4 games to get there.

second day playing extend but i've been playing since CT

don't think so much about people better than you, just worry about improving. if i worried about my skill level in relation to japanese players i'd probably get depressed and quit

That feel when people actually watch our videos :'3

Dude, just practice. It'll take a very long time. There will always be matches you will lose, no matter how good you are. The most important thing to take out of it is why you lost, and to learn something. All in all, if you practice diligently, you WILL get better. But it will take time and you may not realize you're improving. You can't rush the process and sometimes it can be overwhelming and disheartening. But you definitely will keep improving as long as you try. The only way to fail is by giving up.

That's quite a tanget. I don't know if it is actually like this for anyone else, but I Still have blocks whenever I learn anything new. Every little change requires me to conciously do it once in a real match otherwise I just forget it exists no matter how much training mode I do.

That's the only advice I have on getting it done in a real match. Tell yourself to do it the first time and make your hands consciously do it. Then make it a habit. I really can't make any changes without doing this. I'm not great at execution I guess.

I actually have this exact same thing. Unless I do it in a match once, I cannot get used to it. Training mode is useless for that.