Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spirit Juice

Sol vs Millia

Matchup Statistics:

Openers:

Okizeme:

Punishes:

Counters:

Anti airing:

Zoning:

Their game plan:

Strategy:

Char specific details:

-- Member Submitted Info Section (if valid).

her damage is low, but that speed makes her persistent, i cant even lock her down. the only thing i know that has some effect at keeping her still is a RT, and i cant pull that out all the time. her combo's are long and she is clever, whats the best approach to lock her down and treat her like a abused house wife that just forgot to cook dinner?

I find that 5K works excellent in close quarters, a random BB works at long range, but try to mix it up, lest they just assume you'll BB and counter appropriately. Overall, once you get in and start your pressure strings, as long as you can keep them up you should be fine. Oki is pretty important on this one, because if you let her get up, she has many tricks to catch you with your pants down. At least, that's my personal experience.

Care to explain?

yeah, i dont know if a j.p would be too effective but i guess i could try, i know one thing for sure, this girl takes riot stomps like a champ.

Care to explain?

Plain beats out or clashes with her air normals, it's virtually your best anti-air option in this matchup. 2S is also a good ground-to-ground normal against her.

Millia dances all around Sol. If she's eating anything other than the occasional VV, something is seriously wrong. If she's in the air, it's best that you take flight too, but j.p isn't really going to get anything done vs any decent Millia.

If she's eating anything other than the occasional VV, something is seriously wrong. If she's in the air, it's best that you take flight too, but j.p isn't really going to get anything done vs any decent Millia.

ah, i got to play against millia a good amount this weekend at Frosty Faustings.

don't really agree with this. if she isn't eating something outside of the occasional VV, than sol should never win against millia. j.H and j.P are very strong in the air. j.P -> DP -> KD is very solid against just catching her. i think the main issues is catching her then. also, generally her air game is just much better, generalizing and saying when she is in the air, sol should go into the air is not necessarily the best idea. it really depends on at what range. at close range when sol has the offensive, his air attacks on her are very strong.

though, i think in this matchup, sol should really try to stay on the ground more than he should be in the air. in the ground-to-air game, 5K beats out a lot of her normals, and you really just need those single hits into sidewinder loop to pretty much win the round. sidewinder loop hurts. though, it takes a lot of good reading on when u can 5K her, since i have played millia's who stab sol in the eye with hairpin. he can't do very much with a hairpin in his eye.

in the air-to-ground game, i dont think anything of sol's beats out her 2H. even j.H trades more against her than i feel beats it, and when it trades, millia gets her air combo into damage -> KD. sol gets nothing.

against run away characters and spacing, sol has to be patient and land those single hits into damage. run away characters will have to come to him eventually, so keep ur defense up, and take advantage of the fact that his mid-ranged game is very strong.

when DP's land, it should be a DP -> RC. either to just get-'er-off, or else to scare her from trying mixups when u have 1/2 tension. because DP -> RC -> sidewinder loop -> KD is lots of damage into mixup. other than that, i personally dont want to be very risky with how i DP against people. ideally i think sol should by IB -> DP-ing against characters, DP -> RC-ing, or else DP-ing when people airdash in. outside of that, they shouldn't really DP. i m kind of at fault for contradicting my statement because i still guess a % of the time.

millia is mobile, i dont know why you would want to guess-pray-and-DP-ing against her when she is running all over the place. especially when she is usually only close to you to do mix-ups. it is like trying to swat a bee with chopsticks. even if you hit it, u wont necessarily kill it, and you are more likely to get stun than actually hit it.

its important to make your hits count. millia can't afford to mess up at all.

don't really agree with this. if she isn't eating something outside of the occasional VV, than sol should never win against millia. j.H and j.P are very strong in the air. j.P -> DP -> KD is very solid against just catching her. i think the main issues is catching her then. also, generally her air game is just much better, generalizing and saying when she is in the air, sol should go into the air is not necessarily the best idea. it really depends on at what range. at close range when sol has the offensive, his air attacks on her are very strong.

Dunno why you think j.p is good at all against her. I play this matchup on a daily basis. At most it nets you a 20% combo into kd that you really won't be getting that often. If Millia is airborne she's coming down with either a pin, j.k, or a long range j.d. The right spacing eats j.p most of the time. J.k and pin = free combo into a corner and j.d also nets a knockdown. I mean is she supposed to be jumping around and not blocking or something, I don't get why anyone would eat that. Even iad pin shuts that down. In general Millia at close range in the air isn't really good against anyone if she's really low, she eats a lot of shit if people jump at her, so at a close range it may be okay to j.p, but I wouldn't count on anyone being dumb enough to put themselves in that position. Anybody with decent spacing and Millia playing experience won't eat that except from Ky or some shit.

Being airborne while MI is airborne is good because it's harder for her to turn stuff that isn't a counter hit into a combo, it's harder to adjust to a character that decided to jump and block pin air to air, there are times when you can get a free grab just from blocking pin air to air, and at a long range it's a little harder to aim pin imo. Also if you're above her while air to air it's even better (if you jumped after she's already taken flight or been in flight) because pin becomes useless, j.p and j.s are aimed down, j.k and j.d won't work as well either, and Sol's j.h is good in general.

J.h is amazing air to air I will admit. That shit eats pin for free on startup and is amazingly hard to grab, I don't remember the last time i was able to beat it. If you ever get her into a position where she has to tech, just mash on j.h imo, she can tech and throw out pin if she wants but it won't even fucking come out. Though if you do get retarded with it a random air fb disc will eat you alive.

As for Sol on the offensive. You say air attacks are good at a close range. Idk what you mean when you say it but 2H eats his j.h for free and trades in her favor. It also beats bandit revolver. 6p shits on everything else. If she gets greedy with the 6p AA, just bait it. The recovery is really slow and you'll pretty much get a 40 percent combo at least. Also if you're jumping around with j.h or you iad with it and end up on the opposite side of her, she gets a free 5p into combo out of it. She also has roll that gets her out of stuff for free and she has fb disc that she can set and return the game to neutral or her favor.

good shit

I agree 100 percent with the rest of your post.

Some stuff I wanna add though.

FB disc. If it's out and you're down in the corner, you got 50 percent tension. Don't take a chance with VV. It goes through it completely if you connect, but if you don't and your rc it you're still back to blocking. Go for Grand Viper instead. It goes under it and puts her into a position where she has to start blocking your pressure. It also catches her if she decides to backdash and 6k to bait your VV. I don't remember what happens with badmoon vs GV though.

If she's ending strings with h disc and wants to get pretty and rush you because you're still blocking, just 2D her. If FB disc is ever dropped when you're jumping in and you end up doing an empty jump but not too close to where she can grab you, you just go for command grab. Same thing goes for if she sets a fb disc at neutral and you're rushing her down. Just go for keep going and wild throw before it's active.

Don't do anything dumb and mash out normals just because you have them. Maybe 2s but that's it. Empty gunflame is also no good. MI gets in for free if you don't RC it. Occasionally you can get free jump outs of H disc oki just because you have a dp.

If you score a kd it's not really too good of an idea to go for Sol's AD oki because I think Millia can just roll under it. She also rolls past BB and BR (though she should be using 2H vs BR). Sol's dust is pretty garbage, you miss it close range and MI has 50 percent tension, it's 5s > 5h > into Emerald Rain overdrive.

Midscreen oki mixups like iad over and back and roll also bait wakeup VV. Sol's 5k is really gay and will beat pin startup at close range. Usually I'll just fd on the way down or something, I'd rather take my chances getting air thrown than eating 5k into sidewinder loop. If you block tk badmoon, go for a command grab, the MI player already knows she's at a frame disadvantage.

If you play a patient SO vs MI you won't really have too much of a problem. She still gets to dance around and play as safe as she wants to because it's so hard for Sol to catch her and keep the pressure on, but at the same time you won't be giving her too many chances to screw you off. You can take a few chances obviously, just don't be dumb about it.

That's it for now.

ok im in the middle of trying out you guys advice, and like kurum said earlier, millia's air game against sol is too strong, and the only combo i know that keeps me safe when its ground to ground is 5s>5h.s, it does good damage and keeps me out of her poking range, and the gv...i really dont use gv that much but in this match its a necessity, it eats her ground to ground game easily, its tricky for me to 5k her but when i do i make her pay with a br combo, it can yield out almost as much as a sw loop but i wont waste tension...im gonna keep trying tomorrow, getting sleepy.. p.s: what does DP mean..i know its noobish but, i dont get it.

Sol V Millia Sol's Openers 5H - on counter hit nets you airdash into SW loop if she's not ducking, unfortunately the only time this will happen is if she tried to do H disk, maybe hair car, or 6H...sol's 5H won't pay off very much here 5S - Will trade with millia's pokes and generally recovers fast enough to not be punished...BUT, both 5H and 5S will lose to a millia that rolls at the start If a Millia runs in on you you can 5K or 2S, but in this match-up I'm not very happy with this range and I'll generally either jump forward or backwards to get in a better position, at least I feel thats the best choice. At a neutral stance, close range your competing with nothing but kicks and punches in my opinion, both characters have quick pokes into their BnB's and its really fairly even, I'd say sol can take it here because his 5K is so good and he has VV to fall back on. Anything beyond closest range though is Millia's. Her mid/long range pokes will beat yours unless yours come out first, her 5K, 6P, 2P, 5S (f), 5H, 2D are all better than yours at this range. Your 2D will beat hers, but you won't catch that very often unless she starts getting really habitual. Either approach behind a fog of tension (scare tactics with VV RC, or a gunflame FRC) or go from above or below. If Millia is in the air, there are only 2 safe places, above her in the air, or directly below her on the ground. If there's any angles involved her j.H can beat you in the air and her j.K/pin can beat you grounded. I like going air to air with millia not because I think its advantageous for sol, i just don't want to get pinned into blocking a mix-up. That's my whole goal. Once her pin is gone you can actually compete midrange in the air. j.K/j.D are the go-to moves for range, your j.S will lose to all her pokes, but if the range is long enough you may score a nice juicy j.D CH. if you get close on her, j.H j.H j.H, abuse it as much as you can without getting thrown on landing. I see j.P as nothing more than a way to cover your ass and hope it clashes to put you in a better position. 5K serves as a better anti air, still loses to pin, but so does j.P, and both will put you into combo. If she's on the ground, you're at a disadvantage, minus 5K, she's got faster~longer pokes. You can use 5S here to good effect, but if she guesses you will she can punish by airdashing/rolling past it. Her backdash is the bane of my existence, its fast enough to punish almost any move you use. If you ever can get her to block a gunflame, go nuts, but good luck trying to pin her down. Its easy to get frustrated if you get knocked back a few times, and it becomes really easy to get randomed out by a 6H or 2D that reaches a lot further than you were expecting, especially if you're just expecting her to jump around and away. Just because she's a fairy, doesn't mean she can't go head to head. Millia's anti-airs > Sol Millia's 5P at max range beats any...ANY...any...ANY aerial move sol has, will clash with VV, and beat out anything else. her 6P beat's j.S, j.K, BR, BB, RS, and will beat j.H at range and clash when close, beat j.P when close and clash at range. Millia's 2H beats my aerial of choice, j.H...this hurts pretty bad, if you're above millia she gets this for free if the move makes it to its active frames, which isn't hard to do. This will hit you even if you get behind her, there's no aiming involved. Millia's Roll > self explanotory really, will go through your air/high attacks, I don't know how widely this is used, but it can really screw up your oki, or just random moments where you feel like you might have actually forced her to block something, if you catch it fast enough, be ready to throw/throw break Millia in the air, if you're not in the line of pin, anti air with 5K, easy as that, if you're in the way of pin, you're gonna lose, not only to pin, but her j.S and j.K can do the job sometimes to. Oki - if she gets backdash happy, opt out of wildthrow, start chasing her down with 5K. Some jump in oki will be stifled by a rolling millia, again, if you catch it fast enough, you're not put at a disadvantage here, be ready to throw/throw break. She can't do much once she's actually in blockstun so go nuts if you can. Wake-up - You and the millia are gonna have some head games for the rsst of your life. It's damn hard to be certain if you can wake up VV against Millia, hell, sometimes it doesn't look like even the millia knows she'll be able to block. But the safest option here is to just watch her feet. When her feet leave the ground, block high, Her mix-up is good, but the more I play it, the better I can see it. Bad moon and 6K are not INSTANT and can be blocked on reaction most of the time if you're paying attention. Its more her tick throw setups and hair car > FRC > j.K that scares me. There's not much you can do about those options except be on your A game :) Now I go on and on about how she's got the edge, and its true, she runs faster, pokes better, zones, spaces, dodges better than sol...but she can't turn a 5K anti air into 60% quite the same way...No matter how long the match goes on, you'll have your chance. I'll be the first to admit I don't play as careful as you should, in this match-up, its almost too frustrating to try, but I don't think its necessarily wrong to take chances, its not about being careful, its about being patient. Make sure its the right time to do what you're gonna do, Millia isn't eddie/testament, she's not covering 90% of the screen at all times, she just feels that way. YOUR GAMEPLAN: hop around...srsly get her to use her pin, get in 5k range, get her to block something, whatever it takes. Don't stand still or you'll just wind up in block stun > mixup, don't rush her down until you've succeeded in getting one of the previously mentioned occurances to happen. HER GAMEPLAN: hop around...she's gonna try to get you to block anything which is a lot easier than the other way around (fantasizes about sol with hair pin) because of the pin and the speed of her jumps. Don't get frustrated if you eat a few mix-ups and don't get greedy with VV's, the damage off being punished isn't too bad, but its not negligible. The match is won by the person that that thinks the most moves ahead. Whenever you attack ask yourself "if this whiffs, am I gonna be screwed" because theres some stuff that she can wiggle out of that I didn't know was possible...or it can be won by a sol who gets a lucky random counter hit :eng101:

Some surprise VV here and there should help in this match. Millia likes to stike unconventionally, and surprise VV hurts this type of character badly.

block pin

the goal should be to avoid it entirely, if you're decent, she'll try to counterhit you with pin, if you're good, she'll get you to block it so she can do a real mix-up