Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spirit Juice

Sol vs Eddie

Matchup Statistics:

Openers:

Okizeme:

Punishes:

Counters:

Anti airing:

Zoning:

Their game plan:

Strategy:

Char specific details:

-- Member Submitted Info Section (if valid).

i m surprised that nobody is interested in talking about this matchup. matchup thread has been pretty dead lately, and don't really want to see the sol thread get inactive. i try not to block anything that lets eddie get his offensive on me. course blocking is the lesser of 2 evils (the other being flat out hit), but if sol gets his offense on eddie, eddie can die right there. if i throw out GF -> FRC with lil eddie out, i try to do it so that i m too far for lil eddie to hit me, but eddie has to back off if he doesnt want lil eddie hit. i also try to keep in spaces where a drill cant outright hit me. if GF is out on the screen after i FRC it (with lil eddie out), i treat the game as if i didn't have anything else out on the screen. it forces restriction on how eddie and lil eddie can act, which gives me much more free reign over the screen than if i didn't have anything else on the screen. if lil eddie isn't on the screen, i m a lot more aggressive, since it feels like sol has the upperhand then, and the whole goal i am aiming for is getting the offensive advantage, not to do any immediate damage. damage comes a lot easier when u get the offense, and vice versa for when eddie gets ontop of you. amorphous will miss if you are right next to him, he has no DP, his backdash isn't anything particularly special, and he doesnt have any really fast moves up close. so sol's offensive game is all about snuffing out the options he does have. 2D will go under his dead angle. 5K to beat out his jumps. GF -> FRC for mixups, and to generally beat out most of the things he can throw out. Even normal GF up close can be hard for eddie to deal with. it is -3 on block, and sol has fast attacks he can throw out, also that -3 is if GF is blocked immediately, since sol gets more positive frames as GF is blocked later, and poking a pillar of fire is no good any how. thing to keep in mind bout throwing on an effective offensive game is not to throw it out too quickly. otherwise you can't see what your opponent is trying to do, and u also can't give them space to mess up. after you see what your opponent is trying to do, you can come up with a better approach to how to beat them.

Playing against Eddie is about smart defense. Knowing just the right moment to VV. Knowing when to FD, IB, etc. 1f jump and reversals are very important. Just learning to block is probably the most important thing about the matchup. His defense is pretty weak, but he has some good pokes and a fairly strong 6p. His j.k is godly so be careful of that.

Playing against ______ is about smart defense. Knowing just the right moment to VV. Knowing when to FD, IB, etc. 1f jump and reversals are very important. Just learning to block is probably the most important thing about the matchup.

isn't all that pretty important for just about any matchup?

isn't all that pretty important for just about any matchup?

yeh, but its particularly important in the eddie matchup because being able to block,reversal, and generally deal with his pressure could (for example) mean the difference between ib>vv or blocking and staying in his ridiculously good rushdown/pressure game. and as it was said before eddie is awful at gettin out of pressure so nullify lil eddie and start gf frc,frame advantage traps,and tick throw pressure asap

saying something is "necessary" and "more necessary" is redundant. if you want to play the game effectively, u should have blocking skills equal to how u play against eddie in any matchup. if you block well and its effective against eddie, then blocking just as well against any other character makes your game even more effective. some characters have more weight when they land hits, but i dont think it makes it any less necessary to have good blocking skills. "you dont need to block as well against _____ " is not a very good mindset to have, it just opens you to getting hit.

that is true. i think I was being to broad in this analysis. so lets talk specifics as far as defending. ib'ing the last hit of K. lil eddie and vv'ing with tension of course seems very practical. ib'ing drills should also become staple in order to stay out of block stun as much as possible and to ib>vv when u see him run in after frc drill every now and then with 50% tension. this is true in other matchups as nives said but, learn to IB>VV or die. i just say this from experience in playin a good eddie.

Are there any ways to deal with Eddie's 2P interrupt mash other than VV? Example: I try j.S run in WT I get 2P mashed. If I try a closed string he just option selects FD and if I try 6P or anything alike I still eat the 2P. A comparable situation also occurs with Sol's 2P setup.

if you expect a 2P, sol's 2D will trade in your favor generally, beyond that it really just means you have to opt away from wild throw in favor of frame traps until he's afraid of poking again. simple shit like 2P...2P...2K...2D generally fits the bill, with the ...'s being slight delays, 2P 2P very slight run, 2D > GF FRC, rinse repeat with slight variations, just to teach them to sit still, if you can do a longer blockstring with gunflame pressure before it it'll get them antsy and more likely to eat the frame traps, but they'll prolly have to get tripped 2-3 times before they really think about stopping, just .02 from my experiences

something of note, if you know they're not really reacting and just pushing stuff in any gap, you can do 2P > gunflame for a free counterhit sometimes, and even if they block it you can 5S afterward without FRC'ing to keep em blocking usually.