Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EmptySkyForm

Afraid of Victory?

Hmm... Osuna mentioned probabilities -- that over a sample size of matches you'll have an average performance (whether this is 40 or 80% win rate).

In competitive stuff, this is very true. Some wins/losses are due to plain luck, and others to plain skill. What really matters is not winning, but getting to a point where an average performance nets you >50% win rate.

I also mentioned in an earlier, much-maligned thread of mine the importance of the "competitive edge". As in, "what is it that will net you positive expectancy over the long run?" No one can answer that, it is something you develop as your skill grows and you find your niche/style.

I'll note that I've noticed one style seems to dominate, and that's "aggressive and unpredictable". Plenty of styles seem to work, though I've noted a passive approach has a net negative expectancy in the long run. Whatever other style you choose is yours and can win. You just have to develop it.

Passive play does net a negative expectancy. I do play extremely passively and that nets me about a 40% ratio. Granted I don't always play too often and I've got less than 300 matches on my belt for ranked

but passive play does work with experience (i'm probably a good example since i'm called a turtle often by a few players, and l expect to win with this playstyle). successful passive play can demonstrate a good knowledge of the game. whether this play is due to the player or due to the matchup, not pressing buttons is unpredictable within itself. l would say, those who have the most understanding of the game and this includes training time (in other words, the most 'dedicated') will, naturally, prevail.

This sounds like some masochists psychology antics. You need Jesus to win that's all. Don't be predictable, know your player and strategy. Lastly, play to learn.

I hate losing matches. That's the honest truth. I used to get angry and frustrated with myself for losing matches (at some point I still do) but then I realize that losing them is going to make me better eventually. I used to ragequit at times too because I was so angry at not detecting a tactic/responding to certain things in time. But losing is the natural part of getting better at a game.

You have to crawl before you can walk.

This is something I'm ashamed to admit but it made me feel better just getting it out in the open.

but passive play does work with experience (i'm probably a good example since i'm called a turtle often by a few players, and l expect to win with this playstyle). successful passive play can demonstrate a good knowledge of the game. whether this play is due to the player or due to the matchup, not pressing buttons is unpredictable within itself. l would say, those who have the most understanding of the game and this includes training time (in other words, the most 'dedicated') will, naturally, prevail.

Turtling does not have to be passive. If you have very good space control, then they'll have a hard time getting in and you can go for the kill once they've become disconcerted that they can't get in a hit or that your defence is hard to crack.

I should specify that it's best to be proactive. You can have a defensive style while still being very proactive. Passive play is merely letting the other guy take over whenever he wants to. In FG parlance, he's not respecting you.

So yeah, any style works so long as you are proactive. Setting the pace and controlling the match is all that matters.

There's good turtling and bad turtling.

Bad turtling is just sitting there and doing nothing while the opponent gets free reign to do whatever they want.

Good turtling is the opponent wanting to get in your space but not being able to because you're good at keeping them out.

I've gotten to the point where I don't even think of it as turtling anymore. It's just good neutral game. And in those cases, you eventually get the advantage and want to press it, so it's not really turtling.

OP, I had that problem too. Just tell yourself, "Self, fuck you, you're awesome. Be awesome." If you convince yourself that you're awesome, you'll feel awesome - even if you're a useless piece of shit.

As everyone in the entire thread has said, it doesn't matter how well you do. All that matters is how you perceive yourself, and that's something you have the power to change.

OP, I had that problem too. Just tell yourself, "Self, fuck you, you're awesome. Be awesome." If you convince yourself that you're awesome, you'll feel awesome - even if you're a useless piece of shit.

As everyone in the entire thread has said, it doesn't matter how well you do. All that matters is how you perceive yourself, and that's something you have the power to change.

This is true. Every time I play against other people in reality they tell me how good I am (some people even fear my Double/Relius a little). I guess there has to be truth to those comments, no just says them for the heck of it. I just need to learn to believe/accept things like those compliments, and to learn that it is just a game.

How, then, do you look at a constant stream of losses - where the matchup is quite in your opponents favor - in a positive limelight and STILL somehow manage to keep your sanity? I can literally feel the pain of MY losses, it's like someone's stamping their foot on my back, trying to make me kneel in humiliation.

I know I shouldn't be feeling any sort of heavy levels of emotions when I lose, but I've literally tried all I know to suppress and get through sessions without feeling any sort of emotional overload, and I've just.... well, failed miserably. I hide it in order to not be seen as a emo child - because from what I've seen, nobody likes it when you whine and go all "drama queen" on people. Hell, I should just be saying "Good games" where applicable, right? That's really what people expect to hear.

But when I'm losing non-stop, and my combo patterns are getting wrecked because the stress of my situation forces my muscle memory to unravel and vanish, then what do you suppose I do when I've exhausted all my mental self-therapy options that other "shitty ass therapists" have suggested?

Always be on the hunt for what has to change to do better and then remember that there's a transitional stage where if it is something new you have to get your body to recognize it. When Tiger Woods improves his swing he goes through a series of bad showings in competitions while he's mastering his new swing.

Just Know that your results are normal for the situation and you can change them, because it is true. I don't even have to look for successes in a match as long as I think about what to work on or the work in progress I have to do to win. I'm too focused on everything that happens to be bothered usually. If I have trouble performing I actually do some breathing/blood flow exercises. This is usually to undo food related grogginess though so I don't know how it'd work for emotional turmoil, but it clears my head.

I also have trigger phases that keep me from going bad places after losses and some for nerves before a match. After some losses I say "I'll get you next time inspector gadget, next tiiiime" and shake my fist.

At the start of a match I used to say "Hey look over there", but then sometimes someone would look even though both of my hands on the controller when I say it, so I'm doing it with different timing now. Just tiny rituals to bring me in.

Of course I'm playing with my goddamn pride on the line! Winning means more friends, which means more consistent opportunities to keep my skills sharp.

And believe me, I say "good game", but that's only because I'm forcing myself to be a good sport. Were I to say what I truly wanted to say, I'd be throwing racist name calling all over the place. But y'know, I have a conscience, and that conscience tells me to be nice, even if my emotions don't want me to be.

Again, you think I like being angry when I lose?

One thing's for sure, though - I must like the game enough to keep coming back, I doubt I'll ever trade it in. Perhaps I'm that much of a masochist to keep beating myself up in hopes that a certain PART of me leaves my friggin body, or at least starts obeying me.

Of course I'm playing with my goddamn pride on the line! Winning means more friends, which means more consistent opportunities to keep my skills sharp.

And believe me, I say "good game", but that's only because I'm forcing myself to be a good sport. Were I to say what I truly wanted to say, I'd be throwing racist name calling all over the place. But y'know, I have a conscience, and that conscience tells me to be nice, even if my emotions don't want me to be.

One thing's for sure, though - I must like the game enough to keep coming back, I doubt I'll ever trade it in. Perhaps I'm that much of a masochist to keep beating myself up in hopes that a certain PART of me leaves my friggin body, or at least starts obeying me.

There is no pride on the line, I've realized that. Losing does not hurt unless you let it and winning does not mean you'll get more friends (people actually grow to dislike people who never lose). At the end of the day its just a game, meant to be enjoyed. If you get so irked and angry, then either cool your mind down or stop playing. Once it stops being a game it starts being a chore.

It isn't like you can't make friends without winning. It is actually pretty easy since that stuff is more about communication than anything else. As long as you are proactive keeping your skills sharp and finding people to play isn't much trouble. I don't like to say good games often myself unless it was a particularly good game, which isn't often.

Winning doesn't actually Do anything unless you're at a tournament or hate waiting for you turn and are in a big room.

The advice given to you, by many of us, was a little more elaborate and specific than "Don't get angry". We tell you facts about win rates and such to help give you perspective too, we know it's hard to change, but if you didn't think you could you wouldn't have asked right? I really recommend you give them a try. They are pretty legit.

You could also do very high level personal training to pump up your win rate, but if you ever stop losing altogether it is because you gave up.

Of course I'm playing with my goddamn pride on the line! Winning means more friends, which means...

I wish I won so I could be popular...

Out of all of the people I know who play Guilty Gear consistently against me I'm easily the worst player. I'm new to the game in comparison to people who have played the series for years, but I enjoy the game enough to not let something like that even begin to get to me.

I lose almost all of the time at casuals, but everyone is so friendly with me because I'm a good sport and have a willingness to learn without beating myself up over losses during casual games.

There is no pride on the line, I've realized that. Losing does not hurt unless you let it and winning does not mean you'll get more friends (people actually grow to dislike people who never lose). At the end of the day its just a game, meant to be enjoyed. If you get so irked and angry, then either cool your mind down or stop playing. Once it stops being a game it starts being a chore.

^This...^

...and basically anything Osuna's posted.

Wow. No. Completely wrong. Idiotic, even.

Not being a douchebag is what gets you friends.

Either start accepting your losses with humility, or accept that this game isn't for you.

There's gotta be something in it for you, there'd be no reason to continue otherwise.

This is so far removed from how actual improvement works that it's kind of sickening.

Take a break, re-evaluate your life and your attitude. You've been given plenty of advice and this thread is just going in a circle. If you actually want help, show that you're willing to do something with what you've been given.

@Katz - The difference is that you HAVE people you can meet in the flesh. I've only got one, and while he may not have BlazBlue, at the very least he's got a game I enjoy playing. The problem is that he has a life (as well as I), and we can't, y'know, spend 7 days a week gaming.

@Circulous - And thus why I dislike my anger: those three sentences were all so jumbled as I tried to calm down (or got even angrier, I forget which it was), that I couldn't tell which of them was truly me speaking, and not my anger.

But if you want me to quit gaming, you're basically asking me to get rid of the only pleasure activity I know that sustains my will to live - if I give that up, I'll pretty much either A)Beat the shit out of anyone I see (even the cops; no, ESPECIALLY the cops), or B)jump off the nearest bridge.

In other words, my life's so fucked up that I don't consider myself as having anything worth living for, other than gaming. There, that's your answer.

What kind of crazy shit is this? I don't usually swear on these forums, but this is ridiculous. You know what means more friends? Being a good sport. Being able to laugh at your losses and learn from them and say "Damn, buddy. That was some mean mixup there. I don't even know what to do about that! Good games!" _THAT_ will get you more friends. Winning? Winning means nothing. Winning with the wrong attitude will just piss people off at you. Winning and being able to say "Wow! Good game! I really thought you had me there at the end!" and mean it will get you more friends, but the winning has nothing to do with it.

Also, check your LIFE for reasons that you are getting so pissy at a video game. I raged at a bunch of losses yesterday because I wasn't playing to my potential, but that wasn't why I was pissy. I was pissy because it was like 85 degrees, and I'd forgotten to eat lunch, which explains both why I was sucking more than usual (nothing turns my performance to crap like my body suddenly realizing it is out of calories) AND why I was getting extra surly. I put the game down, took a shower and got something to eat. Not saying this is precisely your issue, but odds are, if the game is pissing you off, something else is wrong. Maybe something large.

Winning is all that matters.

When you get your PSR high enough, bitches start swarming you at parties, no questions asked. If you can't win at Blazblue, you'll have nothing to impress the girls with.

But if you want me to quit gaming, you're basically asking me to get rid of the only pleasure activity I know that sustains my will to live - if I give that up, I'll pretty much either A)Beat the shit out of anyone I see (even the cops; no, ESPECIALLY the cops), or B)jump off the nearest bridge.

dude what the fuck

please see a professional, no one on the internet is qualified to help you with that

mAc is right, as he is about everything. There is literally a direct correlation between your rank on PSN and the number of women who are attracted to you. I think someone at Michigan State did a formal study on this recently, there was a thread about it but I don't remember where it was. Anyone have the link?

I'm not entirely sure if Ren is even being serious. I get the sense we are being led on.

Either way, only your attitude can get you friends and make the game enjoyable. Not winning.

Contribootin'.

I have a rather poor mind set on how I play, and I've come to realize this through the incessant clamoring of the people I bitch to, yet I still seem to get angry at myself for losing, and almost as angry for winning. I know exactly why this is; I've thought about it for a quite a while. (Anecdotes, whoo!) I personally don't think I'm good at the game, and I've received mild confirmations of that from certain people I've played with, yet I still always seem to go against people like Haven or Tsuuna knowing that my chances of winning are rather grim. I go, play, lose, and depending on my mood from the day I'm either salty or laughing. If I rage, it's for 20 minutes tops, and then I'm basically cool. But I still continue playing, even after raging like a motherfucker. I do this because I want to be a "professional" player. I want to go to EVO, and NCI, and ECT, and all the other acronomial tournaments. The reason I feel like I'm bad at this game is because I compare myself to the people I want to be with and become, no matter how many times people say that I have improved, I don't believe them. That could also be coupled with my extreme modesty.

I think I may have lost my train of thought there. Anyways, I end up beating myself up hardcore for not being like the pros, for the reason that I am not as good as they are. I end up asking myself, "Why aren't I that good? Why am I playing like this and not like that?" Now, obviously it's not just something I can flip a switch on. But I can never see the progress I make when I play to become that good, it never appears to be visible to me. Now, I like visible progress, so that makes it kind of upsetting when I play against better players and still end up losing.

Not entirely sure what the summation of this post would be, but I thought I could share my position on this subject. I would love to hear any comment or advice any of you may have.

Contribootin'.

I have a rather poor mind set on how I play, and I've come to realize this through the incessant clamoring of the people I bitch to, yet I still seem to get angry at myself for losing, and almost as angry for winning. I know exactly why this is; I've thought about it for a quite a while. (Anecdotes, whoo!) I personally don't think I'm good at the game, and I've received mild confirmations of that from certain people I've played with, yet I still always seem to go against people like Haven or Tsuuna knowing that my chances of winning are rather grim. I go, play, lose, and depending on my mood from the day I'm either salty or laughing. If I rage, it's for 20 minutes tops, and then I'm basically cool. But I still continue playing, even after raging like a motherfucker. I do this because I want to be a "professional" player. I want to go to EVO, and NCI, and ECT, and all the other acronomial tournaments. The reason I feel like I'm bad at this game is because I compare myself to the people I want to be with and become, no matter how many times people say that I have improved, I don't believe them. That could also be coupled with my extreme modesty.

I think I may have lost my train of thought there. Anyways, I end up beating myself up hardcore for not being like the pros, for the reason that I am not as good as they are. I end up asking myself, "Why aren't I that good? Why am I playing like this and not like that?" Now, obviously it's not just something I can flip a switch on. But I can never see the progress I make when I play to become that good, it never appears to be visible to me. Now, I like visible progress, so that makes it kind of upsetting when I play against better players and still end up losing.

Not entirely sure what the summation of this post would be, but I thought I could share my position on this subject. I would love to hear any comment or advice any of you may have.

I feel the same way often. I try to use it to push me forward. "Why aren't I that good, what could they possibly be doing that I'm not." I try to see why they're good and get what I can from them. "It looks they know when to use move x over move y, I should start thinking more about when to use what poke at neutral". Figure out what separates you from them and then practice, be it in the lab learning execution or out getting match up expirenece.