Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EmptySkyForm

Afraid of Victory?

Okay, Lord Pwnge hit it right on the money. Well, at least one of the reasons why I play FGs, anyways. Also, I'd like to apologize for my previous words and actions - I meant none of them.

To be brutally honest, I do enjoy playing the game (emphasis on playing), but I do have this backmind worry that players will leave if I'm on a constant loss streak. It happened with the games on GGPO, and I do worry it'll happen here. But if I COULD play for endless amounts (meaning I had the stamina and the mental endurance to do so), I would.

A)Either people leave when they realize they're dealing with a complete scrub.

B)I tend to burn out, but not for reasons of being pissy at losing - I just happen to get an urge to do something else.

Those two are usually what happen, at least from what I notice when I'm thinking with a clear head (Path B always happens when I'm with other human beings in the flesh).

But yeah, if I could just, y'know, dick around and be friendly and casual, I'd do that.

I don't think anyone will be mad at all if you keep losing. As long as you take something from every few fights nobody will mind. We all go through the phase.

Also. You're being a bit of a drama queen. I've never seen someone this far gone about a game. Have you genuinely considered proper help? It sounds like your issues are much more deep set.

Seriously. See someone. :v:

I don't think anyone will be mad at all if you keep losing. As long as you take something from every few fights nobody will mind. We all go through the phase.

Also. You're being a bit of a drama queen. I've never seen someone this far gone about a game. Have you genuinely considered proper help? It sounds like your issues are much more deep set.

Seriously. See someone. :v:

I have. They told me the same thing they've been telling me since I was 6 (I'm 24 now) - stop playing video games and do something beneficial to society (what that "something beneficial" is, I dunno yet).

Now, I would just like to add something here - generally when I'm doing randoms, the stress of losing is a lot more prevalent and sometimes stays that way. But if I'm just, say, screwin' around, and chatting and having a gay ol' time with my opponents, then it's not so bad. I kinda need that verbal communication from the other side that they're having fun too (and not the sarcastic, dickish kind of verbal confirmation).

In other words, I don't need you telling me how I must play BlazBlue - that's for me to do. You can give me tips and such on gameplay, but don't go DEMANDING I follow it, just let me take the advice or not.

Also, about the EVO/NWM shtick I did earlier, I'd like to follow up on that: The reason I whined so much about that particular issue is I've never been to one of those kinds of events. So that was a mere jealous rage at everyone else who CAN go, and who WILL be going to NWM this year. I just found out about it - it's not like I could scrape $150+ for the ability to get over to be there. I'd rather invest that money in a high quality stick.

That way, if and WHEN I decide to go to a NWM or EVO gathering, I won't look like the uninitiated tourist - besides, I'd want to at least take part in one of the comps, not caring how far I got but rather that I did it. And of course, since I don't know what control types are the majority over there, I'd rather go in with a loud boom as the door went down (okay, okay, I'm exaggerating and being a bit overdramatic, sue me and feed me to the snarfkins).

Long story short: I at least want to "appear" to others like I'm taking my interest in this game seriously. But at the same time, I want to have fun doing it. My question is: How do you gain the balance between the two, and still not mess up being who you are as a person? I'm constantly asking anyone possible, even myself as I play, well, amongst myself.

Note: The use of "appear" is largely in the eye of the beholder. Take it as you see fit.

When did I demand you do anything? I gave frank advice.

Honestly, it sounds like your waiting for someone to say what you want to hear. You have to just be real with yourself for a second and have a few breaths. You're interested in the game. Great. What else do you need to prove? there isn't some secret ranking system where you're judged on how fanatical you are, it's all just casual at this level. Most people on DL won't see much of a difference between you and anyone else. You're the same as anyone else.

You don't need to try and be accepted. Going to NWM or EVO is a feat in itself. The fact you paid money to play fighting games, something you enjoy speaks volumes by itself. I would KILL to be able to make EVO or another major. I wouldn't even get out of pools but I don't give a damn, you're part of the community and you have fun, that's just the bottom line.

To answer your final question: You need to be genuinely interested in the game. If you yourself are truly interested, people will just know by your behaviour, what you post ect. There isn't a special trick, you have to just "Be". Secondly, Do whatever you want, I can't tell you how to have fun...Just play the game?

And if that doesn't work then you should consider the fact that this game just genuinely isn't for you. Try something else and see.

When did I demand you do anything? I gave frank advice.

I wasn't referring to you or anyone else here. I was being more generalized, with a slight lean towards those who've done that to me in the past. But you wouldn't know that, nor would I expect you to. So I apologize for being vague in the worst way possible.

Honestly, it sounds like your waiting for someone to say what you want to hear. You have to just be real with yourself for a second and have a few breaths. You're interested in the game. Great. What else do you need to prove? there isn't some secret ranking system where you're judged on how fanatical you are, it's all just casual at this level. Most people on DL won't see much of a difference between you and anyone else. You're the same as anyone else.

Got a point on this one. I just have to avoid the pricks, right? Thank god I now know this particular community has the fewest I've seen out of any community - and when you deal with Nexon/GGPO's community, I doubt you could get any worse than those guys.

You don't need to try and be accepted. Going to NWM or EVO is a feat in itself. The fact you paid money to play fighting games, something you enjoy speaks volumes by itself. I would KILL to be able to make EVO or another major. I wouldn't even get out of pools but I don't give a damn, you're part of the community and you have fun, that's just the bottom line.

You and I think alike, bro. And I share your sentiment.

To answer your final question: You need to be genuinely interested in the game. If you yourself are truly interested, people will just know by your behaviour, what you post ect. There isn't a special trick, you have to just "Be". Secondly, Do whatever you want, I can't tell you how to have fun...Just play the game?

I guess. I just seem to somehow be "judged" from time to time, although honestly I've had a harder time telling when it's TRULY happening. I've lost the ability to read social cues, so it's like, if I'm doing something right, I'm not aware of it. My indecisiveness makes it really hard to focus on a character for a very long period of time - hell, the only reason I like Haku and Jin are because they wield katanas. And I just happen to be the biggest katana freak in existence (at least, AFAIK) - been obsessed with them since I was 5.

And if that doesn't work then you should consider the fact that this game just genuinely isn't for you. Try something else and see.

I don't like it when people suggest me to quit. If I want to quit, I'll do so on my own pressure, not someone else's advice.

Replies in bold. Please note I mean no harm, I just have a hard time typing/talking when under emotional curtain fire from a certain part of me. So, don't take anything that looks like those past shenanigans seriously in the future, okay? Odds are, if you notice and pretend it's just me screwing around, odds are I'll get the hint and stop (if I don't do so before you figure it out).

Ask anyone in the UK thread how many characters I've decided to "Main" I've gone through everyone at least twice before settling down.

Anyway. The FG has thousands of dickheads and pricks. You'll run into them all the time. Fortunately, DL doesn't have many so Y'know. You're in the right place.

People will accept you at face value, everyone is different and everyone adds diversity. Thats what people love and it's thing thing that's kept this scene ticking for decades. You're wondering how to be accepted when you've already done it.

"Welcome Home" I guess.

Cheesee.

I have. They told me the same thing they've been telling me since I was 6 (I'm 24 now) - stop playing video games and do something beneficial to society (what that "something beneficial" is, I dunno yet).

Volunteer somewhere. Walk dogs. Plant trees. Clean a park. Pick up litter. Work at a soup kitchen. Work with kids. Google "volunteer". The options here are endless, and almost all of them will give you sort of sense of well being or at least perspective. Give it some serious thought, since people keep telling you.

Cheesee.

Cheese, you say?! It better be Mozarella! That's the only kind of cheese worth eating IMHO.

@Airk - When they say "contribute to society" usually the first thing to flash across my mind is "an honest, paying job so you can fund the world war machine make a living like any other person.

In other words, they've told me to focus on a career. Which I have (or have plans to pursue), but it's a career that involves video gaming. I mean, if my mom can have a career in that, why can't I?

Furthermore, it's not one I'm essentially good at. I tried to take the ZUN/Ishiwatari route, but failed dismally. I'm not beneath taking help on that, but everyone's tried to gouge me for money I don't have, or have outright said they may ditch the project. This of course hampers my self esteem in regards to creating game ideas (I'm good at fusion of different elements - one of the perks of being in love with gaming as I am).

I'm working on the whole "volunteer" deal, but.... let's just say there are some "issues" that need dealing with before I can confidently walk in and start.

EDIT - Also, I'd like to apologize to the OP for stealing their thread. Please have some complimentary cat neck on the house.

Cheese, you say?! It better be Mozarella! That's the only kind of cheese worth eating IMHO.

In other words, they've told me to focus on a career. Which I have (or have plans to pursue), but it's a career that involves video gaming. I mean, if my mom can have a career in that, why can't I?

Furthermore, it's not one I'm essentially good at. I tried to take the Ishiwatari route, but failed dismally. I'm not beneath taking help on that, but everyone's tried to gouge me for money I don't have, or have outright said they may ditch the project. This of course hampers my self esteem in regards to creating game ideas (I'm good at fusion of different elements - one of the perks of being in love with gaming as I am).

Take it from someone who's had a little expirence in the business, it's expensive to make any kind of game. Art is especially expensive, but hey, you need it. Also, mozarella isn't on cheesecake, hence it's not worth eating.

Take it from someone who's had a little experience in the business, it's expensive to make any kind of game. Art is especially expensive, but hey, you need it. Also, mozzarella isn't on cheesecake, hence it's not worth eating.

Says the one who can't stand Sicilian awesomeness. And besides, I don't eat cheesecake anyways - I eat pizza, and what kind of screwy rodent eats their pizza without mozzarella cheese?

And hey, if my mom can do it, so can I. My mom ain't exactly aiming for our niche, though, so maybe that's what makes it easier for her - she doesn't have to appeal to a high expectations group.

Stop derailing.

Yeah, I was gonna say, if the OP was done here, I'd rather decide to give them their post back, as I'm done with my issue.

Any who, I'm still alive here and kicking.

As for the issue, it gets a tiny bit better. But getting beaten many times in a row causes all of those old feelings to rise once again. I feel like I'm hitting a wall (maybe or maybe not, I can't tell). I get the notion that I am not good enough, that I'm just a run of the mill kind of person (nothing unique or skillful). To cite a certain example: when ever I play Double in Skullgirls and get my butt handed to me, I get stuck in a slump. I don't want to be one of those average folks, but one of those who have true skill and mastery over a character. I don't want to mastery everyone in any game, or even to be number one (but its a nice side goal to aim for). Just hearing stuff like "your Double is scary" or "That's one of the best one's I've fought", anything along those lines would make me feel better. Its because I would know that I have gained mastery/strong skill with a character I like. But every match I fight online that I lose just knocks me down a few pegs each time, making me doubt my character and skill.

Any who, I'm still alive here and kicking.

As for the issue, it gets a tiny bit better. But getting beaten many times in a row causes all of those old feelings to rise once again. I feel like I'm hitting a wall (maybe or maybe not, I can't tell). I get the notion that I am not good enough, that I'm just a run of the mill kind of person (nothing unique or skillful). To cite a certain example: when ever I play Double in Skullgirls and get my butt handed to me, I get stuck in a slump. I don't want to be one of those average folks, but one of those who have true skill and mastery over a character. I don't want to mastery everyone in any game, or even to be number one (but its a nice side goal to aim for). Just hearing stuff like "your Double is scary" or "That's one of the best one's I've fought", anything along those lines would make me feel better. Its because I would know that I have gained mastery/strong skill with a character I like. But every match I fight online that I lose just knocks me down a few pegs each time, making me doubt my character and skill.

its kind of silly to assume that you deserve to be "something special" without really putting in the time and work for it. Produce those results yourself, lmao. Its not gonna just happen overnight, improvement takes some losses.

You ARE a run of the mill person until you make yourself more. But so what.

I hate losing matches. That's the honest truth. I used to get angry and frustrated with myself for losing matches (at some point I still do) but then I realize that losing them is going to make me better eventually. I used to ragequit at times too because I was so angry at not detecting a tactic/responding to certain things in time. But losing is the natural part of getting better at a game.

You have to crawl before you can walk.

This is something I'm ashamed to admit but it made me feel better just getting it out in the open.

I'd replace "better" with "more mature". I've met some excellent players who have the worst and most demeaning behaviour when they play online

its kind of silly to assume that you deserve to be "something special" without really putting in the time and work for it. Produce those results yourself, lmao. Its not gonna just happen overnight, improvement takes some losses.

I blame anime.

I feel the same as the OP but only when I'm playing StarCraft 2. It's just so much of a mental stress and whenever I win it feels like luck, whenever I lose I feel I can't play sh*t. I'd never experienced that with a fighter but it should be similar...

Indeed it does take a huge mental exercise to get over it, but it is - on the end of the day - pretty silly. I always start ANYTHING thinking I'm the worst person at it EVER (what with asian people existing and all). Then you just have "UP" to climb. It's when you start to win consistently that your ego puts itself at where it should be, and only then you should start worrying about it.

As far as people arguing about winning = fun, I'll share something: I usually play BB with a few people that are much better than me. I try to do well to be able to keep playing with them (sorta like what Renvalt was talking about) and I usually do ok. There was one match, however, that I didn't do anything right at all; Pressed buttons during pressure and got countered like hell. I played so horribly the opponent pretty much lost it, and whiffed an okizeme for no reason while I mash-teched. I GETB'd him and won the match afterwards. I just felt horrible about that, I was honestly ashamed with myself, would be much better if I played well and lost it. That's what "being afraid to win" should be about.

@Katz - The difference is that you HAVE people you can meet in the flesh. I've only got one, and while he may not have BlazBlue, at the very least he's got a game I enjoy playing. The problem is that he has a life (as well as I), and we can't, y'know, spend 7 days a week gaming.

But if you want me to quit gaming, you're basically asking me to get rid of the only pleasure activity I know that sustains my will to live...

In other words, my life's so fucked up that I don't consider myself as having anything worth living for, other than gaming. There, that's your answer.

I'm sorry, what the bloody fuck did I just miss?

"i have a life, can't play games" ~> "games are the only thing that gives me my will to live"

Well, timewise, you get out of it what you put in. So if you're going to say you don't have enough time to play, what do you expect.

Some people are just naturally skilled at certain things. Other people have to work for it. Both types can be equally amazing. Anyone can be good at anything, as long as they have heart and determination. It looks like you don't believe in yourself. Start believing in yourself, and anything is possible. If no one tells you you're awesome, tell yourself. Why are other people's opinions more valuable than yours? Other people are dumbasses.

http://www.ted.com/talks/caroline_casey_looking_past_limits.html

Some people are just naturally skilled at certain things. Other people have to work for it. Both types can be equally amazing. Anyone can be good at anything, as long as they have heart and determination. It looks like you don't believe in yourself. Start believing in yourself, and anything is possible. If no one tells you you're awesome, tell yourself. Why are other people's opinions more valuable than yours? Other people are dumbasses.

http://www.ted.com/talks/caroline_casey_looking_past_limits.html

This

i wish I could sig this whole post.