Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spirit Juice

Sol vs Potemkin

Matchup Statistics:

Openers:

Okizeme:

Punishes:

Counters:

Anti airing:

Zoning:

Their game plan:

Strategy:

Char specific details:

-- Member Submitted Info Section (if valid).

This fight is straight nonsense. He may be slow but damn he is overpowered. A imporatnt fatcor in this fight is your reaction time. Why? -Pot buster setups Seriously..EVERYTHING leads to Potemkin Buster. I don't care if FAB came and told you what doesn't lead to Potemkin Buster he is lying! Always expect a Pot Buster. G. Blood can tell you that's not true. I don't care. Always believe a Pot Buster can happen. He blocks you? Pot Buster. You block him? Pot buster. Jump in? Pot Buster. Your only tool against it is 2P. -HammerFall can be punished on block. 2K>5HS>Grand Viper or if you can't do that go for a KD with Bandit Revolver which with meter RC into Sidewinder combos. -FB Judge Gauntlet and Hammer Fall can be thrown. -Potemkin can't use 6HS against Sol unless it's a meaty leaving you only option a reversal VV. -Grand Viper beats his backdash and Hammerfall. -Don't use Gunflame unless you FRC it. Between the flick and Slidehead...you get the picture. -You CANNOT beat Potemkin's pokes upclose. ASW thought it would be a FANTASTIC idea to give Potemkin's (certain)normals insane high priority(thank you ASW for that). Your only options are A)Block or B) VV... and your reaction timing with VV is extremely hard. -If you ever jump in you better be able to pull of a VV easy to stuff his AA attacks. -You IAD in... if he tries to AA you VV. -Bandit Bringer/Revolver equal DEATH. Only use Revolver in combos NOT a block string. Why? Potemkin Buster. I don't care if the Pot you play can't do it, BELIEVE he can. -You're gonna have to try to bait him. -Nearly all your normals lose to Potemkin Buster, 2P is the only thing that can stop that. Damn Potemkins..... As if they even have something to complain about in this fight. I swear this fight is like 6-4 Pot's favor.

A few general tips against Potemkin: - Do more lows in your blockstrings (for example j.S,2k,2d // 2p/5k,2k,2h) to prevent mashing busters, backdashes, jumps and similar stuff while they're expecting Wild Throw - Frame traps with 6P usually don't work against Potemkin, cause they won't rely as much on 5p/2p - Be careful not to GF FRC too close (for example j.S,2p xx GF FRC -- you can eat a buster between) - When you GF FRC after a blockstring, it's good to jump and press j.p so you can beat Potemkin if he does 236P. If he doesn't, just do a late j.S/j.H after j.P recovers. - Train to do 214K vs Slidehead and VV vs 6h on reaction (if you can't already) - BB and Revolver should not be blocked up close, otherwise a Buster is guaranteed Ok, this all for now. Gotta go.

Yeah, riot stamp is usually no good, even questionable in the corner, but it's worked well agaisnt slidehead in my experience too. Timing on that is pretty important though, late riot stamp, especially if it's distant can get punished.

That's why you have VV to hit him before he reaches the FRC point... And well what Potemkin player actually does 6HS FRC in the first place?

Raekwon does. 2HS FRC too! POT BUSTAHHHHHHHH :vbang: Anyways, I don't think the match is that bad, it just takes experience to know how to stay safe from Pot Buster. Plus you can do some lulz combos on him. The FRC point is pretty early too, so it's only really a mindgame thing for pot buster. Saying just VV doesn't really work as the 6HS is really meaty. So unless you're a reversal god, I'd stick with IB'ing it.

he reach frc point before the actual attack got out, u can hit him if u're upclose where he has better option to Pot Buster u on mid screen pot 6hs -> sol retaliate with vv -> pot frc it and conect it with Judge gauntlet :v: it's safer to GV his 6hs IMO at least i wouldn't whiff and can RC it if he block :vbang: anyway Sol should use all his option on this match =/

IMO, the safest thing to do against 6H is to just IB or block it. If Pot does Slidehead after it just do Riot Stomp. Easy! The only thing to watch out for is 6H -> FRC, Pot Buster, but that's more of a mind game than anything.

Hmmm... If one learns to IB Pot's 6HS... should learning to SB it come next? Since SB reduces blockstun to 2F and Sol needs to get in. I know SB isn't easy but there are certain things that should be SBed.

You can't SB on wake up.

See, I think I can explain this one. You can Instant Block on wakeup. Slashback and Instant Block are fundamentally different, however. Try tapping back. Nothing happens, right? Now try back+S+H. You get that yellow Slashback ring, right? You see, instant blocking is just: If you tap back and block an attack within X frames of that, you get an Instant Block. Slashbacking, however, puts you in a Slashback state for two frames. Instant blocking modifies normal blocking, and only checks when you tapped back. You don't have to be in control of your character (Say on wakeup) to Instant Block. However, you cannot Slashback when you are not in control, as it is an active move, not just a state check when you block. Now how does this apply to reversal Slashbacking? I would think that the one frame buffer for reversals does not apply to Slashbacks, so rather than a two frame window as for most reversals, it would be one frame. This would seem to allow you to Slashback on wakeup. However, if there is even one frame of startup on the Slashback, or it's as simple as a few frames after getting up that you can't activate Slashback, then you couldn't. I'll bet it's the same number of frames as your wakeup throw invincibility.

See, I think I can explain this one. You can Instant Block on wakeup. Slashback and Instant Block are fundamentally different, however. Try tapping back. Nothing happens, right? Now try back+S+H. You get that yellow Slashback ring, right? You see, instant blocking is just: If you tap back and block an attack within X frames of that, you get an Instant Block. Slashbacking, however, puts you in a Slashback state for two frames. Instant blocking modifies normal blocking, and only checks when you tapped back. You don't have to be in control of your character (Say on wakeup) to Instant Block. However, you cannot Slashback when you are not in control, as it is an active move, not just a state check when you block. Now how does this apply to reversal Slashbacking? I would think that the one frame buffer for reversals does not apply to Slashbacks, so rather than a two frame window as for most reversals, it would be one frame. This would seem to allow you to Slashback on wakeup. However, if there is even one frame of startup on the Slashback, or it's as simple as a few frames after getting up that you can't activate Slashback, then you couldn't. I'll bet it's the same number of frames as your wakeup throw invincibility.

Arc systems made it so that it is literally impossible to slashback for about 10 frames on wakeup to prevent the gayness known as 3S wakeup parry. you should be grateful that it cannot be done. there's a reason you can't find it happen in any video

Well of course that's entirely situational, but what I meant was, what moves of Sol's BEAT out Potebuster.

Of course I'm not expecting much if anything since not much CAN beat it.

As Nives listed VV.

And 2P. VV can work if you can recognize Pot buster setups...which you need to be able to unless you want to eat a lot of damage easy.

I tend not to try other pokes since when I use Order-Sol vs Potemkin I get Pot Bustered out of EVERY ground normal save for 2P and 6K...

A funny thing about Potemkin is if his j.D hits you, you can CH hit him after.

Grand Viper can be Pot Bustered(Wild Throw can beat Grand Viper too) but the window is when Sol is at the pullback/crouching animation.

this isn't that complicated. you just have to know your throw invincible moves, which for sol is only his ground VV I'm pretty sure so you can backdash, jump, or VV to escape/beat pot buster for sure. you can try fast moves like 2P and 5K BUT there's always that chance you'll get grabbed cause they don't have throw invulnerably Safest option is probably to backdash when you think he'll pot buster. he can hurt you for backdash but not too horrible, you'll eat a 2D or something if you guess wrong. jumping is more hazardous because he might heat knuckle or some other good anti-air. VV is obviously very hazardous (unless you can RC) but also most rewarding

Just to say there is acctauly a situation where the game will allow you to reversal parry. So its not actually 100% all the time you can never do it. As a matter of fact I have even seen someone parry as a reversal while dizzy. How that happend though, I have no idea.