Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spirit Juice

Sol vs Slayer

Matchup Statistics:

Openers:

Okizeme:

Punishes:

Counters:

Anti airing:

Zoning:

Their game plan:

Strategy:

Char specific details:

-- Member Submitted Info Section (if valid).

Mmm, any info against the little vampire? I have problems dealing with teleport cancel and his dandy step follow ups. It´s pretty hard to setup a command throw, since they can scape with the teleport cancel and smash you right in the face for a nice combo. Also, i found almost imposible to hit Slayer from the air, his s.P / 6+P / 2+S beats pretty much everythin from any angle. I try to poke being as sabe as posibble with a far S / 2+S, then react to Slayer moves. It doesn´t seem to work very well tough. :psyduck: So, any tips?

I have a good amount of experience in this match up so here are some tips. I'll probably do a full write up soon. As far as dandy step, you can GV this on reaction most of the time. If he gets tricky with FRC > 2H just stop doing it, but most of the time it will work. It is indeed hard to command throw if they are good at backdashing or hitting 2p. In this case it's best to go with some frame traps and be unpredictable in your mixup. Bait throws with 6P, do your normal tick throw setups but follow with a c.s or 2.d, or 6p to punish their reaction. 6HS can also catch them off guard when they back dash. As far as coming from the air, any obvious jump in will lose to Slayer. As you said, his 5p, 6p, and 2s beat pretty much everything Sol has. This match is about whoever lands the first big hit and keeping on the pressure if possible.

Run in uppercut. I'm not joking. Slayer wins this fight if you try to be methodical and safe the entire way through. He has better pokes, he can stuff a lot of your go-to options on reaction in neutral situations, he can take safe guesses and confirm his followups from there. There's a fairly vague area around the edge of Slayer's 2H range where he can pretty safely react to whatever Sol tries to do. However, his typical response to Sol running in at that range is to stick out a poke- not enough time to react to anything but the running in, and he's worried about run up grab (not so much about run up poke, but his poke will probably win anyhow). Generally a safe thing to do- but you can VV it. Doesn't really matter which poke he chooses, invul > priority. Granted, you don't want to just run in and VV for the entire match. What you really want to do is run in Wild Throw or some frame trap. Run in FD brake, see what he tends to do, decide if you are going to VV more often or not. Yes, sometimes it won't pay off and you'll eat a combo. In fact you will probably take more damage than you would have directly done to him if he baits it. But you need to change the dynamic of the match away from Slayer going through his flowchart. He normally thinks "at this range, I will do one of these moves and look for the other guy to run into it." Make him think "I want to do this move but what if he VVs me?" Once you're up close, Slayer is just another character without an uppercut for you to go to town against. If Slayer knocks you down, he has to worry about an uppercut. If you knock Slayer down, you have to worry about...? Backdash? Reversal BDC 1F jump?

Heh well, that is what my friends and I call "sticking with the plan." The plan being the Daigo Sol Badguy mind game. VV or command throw. It works wonders. I'll probably do a full write up about it some day, seeing as it works in EVERY match up.

Well you can run in sweep or something as well... run up VV just has a much more forgiving range to it, and doesn't get stomped over. Really, you just want Slayer to freeze enough for you to run in and do your normal up-close frame trap/grab/mixup/whatever game, and assuming it's a neutral situation where Slayer isn't spamming Dandy Steps or other easy-to-counter stuff, run up VV is at least a guess for Slayer, whereas most of your other stuff at midrange is stuff he can react to. You can also run, FD brake right outside his 2H range, and then look for him to stick something out so you can either whiff punish, or throw a Gunflame if he whiffed something fairly big (2H) but you're not confident that you can score a CH into damage. But every Sol player is going to do running VV at some point anyhow, so you might as well get a feel for where it's most likely to work, and likely to work better than something safer.

I came up with VV vs. WT a while ago, and I had no idea Daigo used it. :8/: I thought it was really scrubby myself. Wouldn't jump back block beat it every time? If he was going for VV, you block it and slaughter him. If he was going for WT, well, he can't throw you because you're in the air. The risk/reward seems subpar, but it could put fear into your opponent, which might make it worth it.

I've never been a fan of run up VV/WT 2-way "mixup" but I do think that VVing in certain spots creates opportunities for run in WT. If it was all about countering VV/WT mixup then yeah jump back FD or just FD jump and hold FD would work great, but most of the time Sol isn't running in mashing 623, right?

Yes, running VV really works. Slayer's pokes are quite strong, yet most of it really can't be used recklessly. So when Slayer starts to abuse his pokes (which is what most Slayer users are tempted to do so many times), destroy his guts with surprise VV. Fighting Slayer is like fighting a sniper/gunner. Compared to a swordsman, the movement of a sniper is just too fucking stiff. You should strike that weak point.

2K -> 2H is pretty safe for slayer to throw out generally, and also pressure sequences involving 5S -> 5S. so learning to instant block, and then DP-ing those are pretty useful. i dont think u have to instant block them some of the time to still DP them. people who notice you start doing this can perfectly just block in the middle of their sequence, but its a nice thing to have in your game to break up options slayer has and reduce his offensive game by a bit (every little bit helps). i like using GF -> FRC -> block to deal with dandy step, mappa punch, and wakeup super. GV is useful to deal with dandy step and mappa punch, but since slayer can murder you for blocking it, it is probably a better idea to educate yourself on how your opponent likes to use dandy step and mappa punch before you start trying to abuse that. i met a number of slayers who like to do dandy -> FRC -> 2H, so if u do try to punish dandy step, u get stomped (i jest, but seriously you'll get yourself killed). GF -> FRC beats out all those options besides dandy -> FRC -> block, but then you get a chance to throw out your offense once they shrink back and play defensively. i probably say a lot about using GF -> FRC in the way i play, and tension is a luxury, but not that much in accent core. if you don't have tension, try to play safe with 5S pokes, 5H, j.H, and all into you have some to work with. not jumping to unnecessary risks is generally a good thing, otherwise you get very unreliable results. i dont like taking big risks and guesses to what slayer will do since most of the time, slayer can get much better results for landing random hits then sol does.

Mid risk-Huge reward opener:

* n.HS (CH), IAD j.S, j.D, SWCH, j.D, SWCH, 2+HS (change sides), j.HS (1 hit), SWCH, 2+HS, TK SWCH, 2+HS, j.K, j.S, SWCH, BR.

(254 dmg + knockdown + almost 50% meter)

Start the round scaring the hell out of them if they throw out some random stupid move.

However Slayer can punish the n.HS with a Pile Bunker that will give him the iniciative.

It's not gonna work most ot the time against experienced Slayers, but the damage you get makes it worth to try once in a while.

4.5 - 5.5 IMO. Damage and okizeme are pretty similar on both characters, and even with SO having more speed and mobility, he gets totally outmatched by Slayer's pokes at close range.

Slayer can only be dominant from 2H range, but a well spaced CH 5H xx GV can make him pay if he throws it out too much. From close range, Sol can pretty much play his game and Slayer can't really dominate him there.

I kind of feel like it's a little bit in Slayers favor as well. He's just overall a better character with more ways to get big damage than Sol. Certainly not a broken advantage but I feel like it's there.

Personally I'd use 2k->back step VV (forgo the knock down) wait for Burst, BBU, and the like, run forward 2k->WT. What I would like to know is when do you burst? Incredibly tempted to after BBU...

What I would like to know is when do you burst? Incredibly tempted to after BBU...

Well one time I know to burst and he can't avoid it is if during a combo, you see the flash from him doing BBU, that's a safe time to burst. So you can react and burst before the BBU hits.

Personally I'd use 2k->back step VV (forgo the knock down) wait for Burst, BBU, and the like, run forward 2k->WT.

What is back step?

2K backstep VV? I have never heard of this. I'm not insulting you or anything like that but you've had success with this strategy?

The best time to burst Slayer is when he BBU's and you are a little above his head. The burst will whiff and you will land right next to SL for a free WT or whatever you sol players like to do when free damage is in your face.

6P has 1-6 upper body and then 7-23 above the knees invincibility. Active in 18 frames. Sol's 2D has 7 frames of startup, active for 3. More than likely Slayer's 6P is fully active and on the above the knee's (he gets LOW when he does 6P) invincibility frames while Sol is throwing out his sweep which takes 7 frames to go active and 6P is just counter hitting the start-up of sweep. Everyone should know by know that Slayer's 6P is a very angry and non-discriminative shoulder. It doesn't care what kind of move you do as long as it's already active.