Dr. Stormlocke

[GGAC+R] Robo-Ky Changes and Discussion!

so i was practicing the 75% meter throw missile loop corner combo

its actually not that bad

i found it easier to do a neutral jump after the throw frc then j.s missile

if i jumped forward then did j.s missile, the timing was tougher for the 2nd missile because of the wallbounce and my 2nd missile would just fly past them

so i was practicing the 75% meter throw missile loop corner combo

its actually not that bad

i found it easier to do a neutral jump after the throw frc then j.s missile

if i jumped forward then did j.s missile, the timing was tougher for the 2nd missile because of the wallbounce and my 2nd missile would just fly past them

I need to practice and utilize this more often.

I'm going to hopefully get the +R matchup subforum threads going soon. Anyone have any experience on recent matchups they'd like to chime in on? I've been playing against a lot of Testaments. Some of his new/modified normals took some getting used to, along with his warp.

Potemkin is definitely still hard for me, but I don't feel like I've lost the round when I am knocked down now.

Any new strings or setups that have been effective for you guys? I'm a big fan of Punch Spam super juggle vs opponent who is cornered, let them drop, mat, run up TK SRK on their wakeup~whatever. Many rounds have been ended this way.

Also have been doing mid screen command grab, horsie over their body, run up TK SRK on their wakeup.

Still looking for a halfway decent setup with 80% heat Knee Rockets. It's still a round ending Hail Mary at best.

some things ive been using to moderate success

2k steam level 2 frc command throw - damage nerf to command throw made this less of a damage route and more of a mind fuck move though

(corner) punch super, let em drop, backdash, heated 2h, (neutral jump/forward jump/level 3 steam/mat/run up 5p) - gives me a chance to see how they do things on wakeup, so i figure what kind of oki gimmicks might work

midscreen 5s© into 6p x 3 - love the heat gain, been doing it a lot.

i really dont play much different than regular ac. the biggest change to my play is the tk dp mixup (which i really just do whenever, no setup, no nothing, just do it) and the level 3 steam in combos. so strongggg....

i actually haven't played someone since my last set i uploaded..... hopefully i can figure out if what i'm doing works against people when i'm at nec

i got to play against senkei (faust) and netplayed alex g (dizzy) recently

the matchups against those chars are definitely much worse than they were in AC

probably mentioned this way back... but against faust:

the neutral game is much more in his favor.. items are just better and fb door is too fast

faust's 5p got buffed so that's more annoying to deal with, but the rest of his normals are the same... generally they will beat every one of yours

ex pogo's hit box got nerfed or something, so it loses more frequently to j.hs, but can still be used against 2hs or air missiles on reaction

you really don't get much for oki against this char

he can crouch under bazooka and 2p you all the time if its a lvl 2 bazooka and from most ranges and timings for lvl 3 bazooka

also he crouches against 5p so that sucks for roboky as well

his dive kick beats a lot of air normals and pony on the ground

so to sum it up.... you can't outzone him and up close he's better than you

(at the very least you can dp his oki)

dizzy....

this char is better than you

you will lose a lot

the end

the recent tsb had some matches from 3 different robo kys (hard bread, myself, and apollo)

varying skill levels, but most the matches were entertaining and if you are the type to gleam little bits of info, check it out imo maybe?

http://www.twitch.tv/nycfurby/b/482402295 - starts at like 40 minute mark

1 casual match, then the ENTIRE TOURNEY in a marathon. pretty good play and players. fun watch regardless.

Some command grab setups that I've been having luck with, that you guys might want to experiment with:

Midscreen command grab, backdash, Level 3 Horse over their body, command grab. (Command grab is throw invulnerable now, so that's fun.)

Midscreen command grab, backdash, Level 3 Horse over their body, Level 3 SRK/Super. (Fast startup stuffs mash atttempts to beat what they perceive is another command grab attempt. Also stuffs poorly timed throw attempts.)

Midscreen command grab, Level 3 Horse over their body, Level 3 Horse/5d. (By not backdashing after the command grab, and instead crossing over with Level 3 Horse asap, you have more time to setup things on the other side.)

It's important to note that it is possible to get thrown. Also obviously if you need the damage, you are sacrificing the unburstable Punch Spam Super followup. Sometime the above setups really pay off tho.

i'll have to check those out

--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z06FAxzZijA - gaku for the first 3 matches. some neat stuff to look at if you are looking for new ways to approach neutral. does a lot of stuff i wasnt, so dunno if you guys will be in the same boat. almost gets some of the sickest confirms too, black beat or not my hype is r e a l .

i liked the command throw then mash on down

i felt like a lot of the stuff he did was pretty reckless and a lot of that stuff could have gotten him into really unfavorable situations if the other players had also not been mashing

but maybe this is just something roboky has to do now to be able to get in some hits

yea its hard to tell if its 'o man this is what we should do now?' or 'o japan you so silly!'

the 2k to throw punish for riot stomp is surprising.... 6p is free heat and mat. oki and mat > heat and mat? hmm...

yea its hard to tell if its 'o man this is what we should do now?' or 'o japan you so silly!'

the 2k to throw punish for riot stomp is surprising.... 6p is free heat and mat. oki and mat > heat and mat? hmm...

2K is probably easier/saferto do on reaction. Or he's never bothered looking into it. Also, you can try to set up bazooka after throw -> mat. Edited by Kikuichimonji

~_~ that hungry for videos huh? sad times.

happy end of 2013 robots. :D?

Some command grab setups that I've been having luck with, that you guys might want to experiment with:

Midscreen command grab, backdash, Level 3 Horse over their body, command grab. (Command grab is throw invulnerable now, so that's fun.)

Midscreen command grab, backdash, Level 3 Horse over their body, Level 3 SRK/Super. (Fast startup stuffs mash attempts to beat what they perceive is another command grab attempt. Also stuffs poorly timed throw attempts.)

Midscreen command grab, Level 3 Horse over their body, Level 3 Horse/5d. (By not backdashing after the command grab, and instead crossing over with Level 3 Horse asap, you have more time to setup things on the other side.)

It's important to note that it is possible to get thrown. Also obviously if you need the damage, you are sacrificing the unburstable Punch Spam Super followup. Sometime the above setups really pay off tho.

These have really been panning out. I have a few other setups that I alternate with now:

Midscreen'ish command grab (more than 3 hits), backdash, Level 2 horse, land in front of them, command grab.

Midscreen'ish command grab (more than 3 hits), as soon as they land, 2d, immediate Punch Spam super & don't mash Slash, command grab.

--on subsequent attempts, mash Slash for Punch Spam super. This will stuff many attempts at what they think is another command grab.

wouldnt doing the super nerf the meter gain into the ground? the damage got nerfed.... just wondering if you think its worth compared to your earlier mentioned setups

supers don't nerf meter gain rate, so by doing 2d punching super your meter would do something like this... -50% +30-40% so net of -10 to 20%

there has been some weird stuff where sitting on a mat during super freeze gains more meter than you should

i never figured it out

there was a crazy example back in AC when a venom was standing on a mat during a super freeze and got 50% meter from it

i can't remember where the vid was from unfortunately

wow

guess im playing too much bb, that game has meter gain reduction on supers i believe.

noted, the more you know :D?

does nezu even play fg's at all? granted i dont watch bb like gg, but i havent seen him in that in ages either...

years later and i still can't figure out what to do against johnny

i feel like the changes in +R don't actually change the matchup

but i've always felt that johnny had the edge over roboky in AC because of stuff like superior space control, really difficult to escape corner pressure, mash on 2hs whenever you use 2k or pony or any bazooka not lvl 3, and most importantly because of how helpless you are against him at the start of the round

now carrying this over to +R

you don't do as much damage relative to AC and you're only slightly better off because c.s chains into 6p for knockdown, but in exchange you kind of lose pressure when you do that because of how far away they get sent flying.. but better than always whiffing 2s after 2k

the parts of this matchup that i would really like some feedback on the neutral game with <40 meter and the start of the round

heyyy, i started playing robo-ky when AC dropped on PSN and i wanted to know if the actual changes when he goes into 80 heat are documented anywhere. I know there's more hitstun and blockstun(?) on his normals and specials, but Ive never been able to find out how much, which would be nice to know. Especially since it seems to be different on different moves (like heat 5H seems to have infinite untech time on air hit?)

Also I was reading on here that heat c.S > 5D combos in heat on crouching opponents, so I thought that c.S > bazooka should too since that and 5D have the same startup. And it totally does! Not sure why I've never seen anyone do this but you can just loop 5P>c.S>bazooka(lvl 2 or 3) as much as you want. You can even do dash j.S, c.S>bazooka xN with how much hitstun you get. Take them to the corner from anywhere on screen and easily end in robo-dash for knockdown + more meter than you started with. Or you could do 2S (which'll float them really low thanks to gravity scaling) 5H frc >whatever, or 5D >whatever, or WHATEVER you want really. Since you're looping bazooka it maintains your heat pretty perfectly too. In the corner I've only ever been able to get 2 or 3 bazookas to combo, but the real strength is midscreen anyway. The damage is nice too. I dont remember exact numbers per loop, but coast to coast its about 180 on ky.

The obvious limitation is the confirm you need... but that tends to be the limitation on most of RK's cool combos so :p. Its better (and easier) than dash 5P xN at any rate. I feel like its a bit more than just combovid fodder, but its probably been in a combovid, haha.

there was an old combo video in AC that did this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hh0lFmXB5P4&t=368

i had actually forgotten about it until you brought it up, but i think the reason you don't see people do it is because of the difficulty of the initial hit

there aren't that many openers you can use on people that go into c.s along with the fact that you need high heat + high meter before getting the hit

i guess this might be a better combo to punish moves like whiffed volcanic viper which forces crouching state when landing, but its just too situational for most people to remember

also under the same conditions of high heat + meter + open them up in a crouching state, you have much more damaging options if you just burn your meter