Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

entnervt

Testament AC+R Changes

Not sure if I posted in the Testament forums before and I know this is really late to ask this, but with the console update to +R looming, I can't help but wonder. Has Testament changed drastically to the point of being played entirely different (not counting the BL loop) or does he have a lot of the same shenanigans. I really like what I've seen in videos and plan on sticking with him regardless (Just got really into Guilty Gear about 3 years ago with the PSP versions of the game and after messing around with Dizzy, found that he suited my style more, so switched - not a tier thing lol), but I'm just curious.

I wrote down a wall of text but Tapatalk fucked it up.

In short, Testament imo feels very different to AC because of all the changes I summarized in the video. But he's fun to play with, even if I'm having a hard time atm, I'm old and slow learning in fighting games so I've a long way to go. Maybe other players get used to the changes faster and don't feel the same way.

What about the crossup @ 2:07 in this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpvFZHXlHMg&list=FLIsf7WTVsihv9eNvnxhuZhQ

is it a true crossup?

So i got some more time w/ training mode testing this stuff. I couldn't make this setup actually cross up, even if they came out of blockstun, but I could get a true crossup with a similar setup. Basically instead of S beast, then crossup + H beast, I was doing S beast, standing K xx tele+release H beast. If they were just coming out of blockstun (but not still in blockstun of course), it still wouldn't cross up, but if there was enough of a gap (enough so that they could jump out), then it would cross. I think normally to make this work on a normal, front-turned opponent, you have to wait until they come out of the block animation, not just blockstun (not completely sure about this). So far the only legit meaty setup I've found is the one I posted before with the H beast frc. Also if anyone is having trouble with doing H beast frc too fast and getting S beast from phantom inputs, just hold down the buttons for a moment when you do the frc so you don't get negative edge.

Edit - after watching the video again, the reason he gets crossed up there is because he tried to FD, which doesn't offer proximity block protection from crossups. If he had just held d/b he would have blocked it.

Not sure if I posted in the Testament forums before and I know this is really late to ask this, but with the console update to +R looming, I can't help but wonder. Has Testament changed drastically to the point of being played entirely different (not counting the BL loop) or does he have a lot of the same shenanigans. I really like what I've seen in videos and plan on sticking with him regardless (Just got really into Guilty Gear about 3 years ago with the PSP versions of the game and after messing around with Dizzy, found that he suited my style more, so switched - not a tier thing lol), but I'm just curious.

He's fairly different. Close-range game got bopped due to 6K/H Exe nerfs, but mid/long range got better. Honestly if you can play him now, it's not THAT big an adjustment, it took me all of one day to get used to him >_>

So i got some more time w/ training mode testing this stuff. I couldn't make this setup actually cross up, even if they came out of blockstun, but I could get a true crossup with a similar setup. Basically instead of S beast, then crossup + H beast, I was doing S beast, standing K xx tele+release H beast. If they were just coming out of blockstun (but not still in blockstun of course), it still wouldn't cross up, but if there was enough of a gap (enough so that they could jump out), then it would cross. I think normally to make this work on a normal, front-turned opponent, you have to wait until they come out of the block animation, not just blockstun (not completely sure about this). So far the only legit meaty setup I've found is the one I posted before with the H beast frc. Also if anyone is having trouble with doing H beast frc too fast and getting S beast from phantom inputs, just hold down the buttons for a moment when you do the frc so you don't get negative edge.

Edit - after watching the video again, the reason he gets crossed up there is because he tried to FD, which doesn't offer proximity block protection from crossups. If he had just held d/b he would have blocked it.

Keep in mind that crossup protection not only goes away if you choose to FD - it also doesn't apply if you guard high. Like Order Sol's gunblaze, you can use the crossup to condition them to block low even if it doesn't cross up itself, giving you more free reign to throw in 6Ps. Helps stop them from mashing too, ofc :P.

Playing around with it in training mode you CAN get that setup to crossup, without having to throw in the extra 5K, but regardless you must add a certain amount of delay between the teleport and when the beast hits to avoid crossup protection, so it's best to memorize the timing for inputting Teleport and Beast hit (unless you have a gatling ahead of time and are using the auto-release). You can do w/e you want as long as that delay is there, which also always means they can always jump out of it, though again, this is only if you want the actual crossup - you have like 20 ways of stuffing any attempt to randomly jump out of that crap. Also don't forget that you get extra crossup protection during wakeup (I believe), which is why you won't be able to practice the at neutral timing by just doing knockdown H beast into tp release.

I think doing raw crossup H beast after the S beast oki rather than a punch or kick might be better simply because the orthodox setup seems to often be to do KD > S Beast > S bite > H beast > 2K / 2P > c.S > S Beast > H bite. The 2K after S beast followup is airtight, which is nice. So doing other random crap instead of 2K seems legit. I suppose if you wanted to be hella confusing you could do like KD > S Beast > H Beast > 2k > c.S > S Beast > H Beast or something silly, though there are hella gaps lol.

Awesome, thanks for the clarification. I'm really looking forward to cracking it out w/ this char in training mode

The new testament is really fun to play - enough so that I'm really considering making him my primary sub! I might post bnb's later because it seems like no one has actually written out character specific optimal net loops in an accessible place yet. Regardless they'll probably up on my public notes eventually.

Yeah I never really played him much but I kinda became infatuated w/ this version of him really quickly. I'm just doing really simple stuff right now like j.ksh xx 1 hit into curse/oki midscreen and j.ksh xx 1 hit, s xx net, j.pks net, air backdash 1 hit -> key/h xx gravedigger, s xx net, tk bl/oki in the corner. I've only gotten to write down throw combos that give guaranteed curses in any detail. In most vids I see j.ksh xx 1 hit, c.s xx net, delay j.h,d into either 1 hit (lights?) or into net, then 1 hit as they fall into oki. The more I play the character I think real oki will always be the way to go over guaranteed curse unless you're closing out and on a big lead; this character's oki game is too cheap to pass up now

Brett, if you're in Nagoya, we should play online sometime.

I'm going to A-cho again tonight and could use some notes maybe whenever the videos come out. I've been lazy and not really hitting training mode a lot since the game's been out, so I don't have anything new and useful to contribute, and I'm not even really used to the new oki or anything, so I do have some things to work on. Mostly I have a friend over here that always wants to play me online, so...

Anyway, glad to hear you're enjoying Testament, Jason.

I saw that in the original AC thread, 2 of the patterns are wrong (maybe based on a certain version of arcade board ?). It lists the extended patterns 2 and 3 to have 4 extra moves, but it's always 3 extra moves when compared to the Punch version.

Are you absolutely sure about this? I think the way it works, is that while there is a set pattern, the marking lasts for a set amount of time, and the patterns may get cut short depending on whether or not there's time left for the last attack. The only factor I can think of that may change this is distance from opponent during scythe attack. If opponent is far away, it will take up more time for the bird to get there, and there will be less time left on the marking clock when the attack is over. Anyway, I definitely remember the bird may sometimes squeeze in an extra attack in certain cases, but not sure if that is because it often doesn't get to the eighth attack because of extra time for scythe, or because there is an additional ninth attack sometimes.

If you look at the 1st and 4th pattern, (the ones with only 8 attacks listed) you can see that pattern 1 involves 3 scythe attacks, so it will take the most time, and while all other patterns only have 2 scythes, maybe some of the different attacks in the 4th pattern also add up to make it take longer than the 2nd and 3rd pattern, so that there's a slight possibility that a 9th attack will come out sometimes on 2 and 3.

I'll have to retry it with having the scythe lady always hitting the opponent.

Edit:

Tested again. Thanks ! You are absolutely right ! The original place I found the pattern was probably also wrong though as both Patterns 1 and 4 can also have up to 9 attacks ! I had Potemkin jump in the corner to test.

So updated patterns are:

1: L L S F H (L S S F)

2: F S L H H (L S F F)

3: H F L S F (S H L S)

4: S S H F F (L H H S)

Another interesting thing I noticed when testing: you only get the long pattern when the FB Phantom Soul actually hits. If they block it, you get the small pattern instead !

Played a lot against Caer this weekend. Apparently D skull will curse the opponent if it hits a summon. Verified with Dizzy fish and Eddie shadow. In both cases it kills the summon and curses the opponent.