Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lord Knight

P4A at MLG

P4U isn't going to just absorb one scene and have that be it.

It's going to drag out new players, get old players from other scenes, etc.

P4U's scene will be P4U's scene, not another game's. Don't know why people would think anything else, unless they never go off dustloop to another fgc forum

Why can't we just support our games?

Does it have to be one or the other?

I'm supporting both. i was just saying how people some or most people like to forget or just move on to another thing and when people bring it up in the future some of us would go "huh?" or some shit like that

I'm all for supporting both BB and P4U, i REALLY don't want to see BB die out.

for you guys that live in philly/philly area/nj

try to come out to sj. you dont have to enter the tourney, just show up and play some casuals for a day!

Seriously you guys are jumping the gun, MLG is cool and all, but NO FIGHTER NEEDS MLG.

King of Fighters may have "failed" at MLG but it is consistently played at nearly every tournament, especially majors, and sees a good turnout. It has over 1,000 entries at EVO...

P4U is BB's scene, and let's be honest, we haven't exactly been consistent on our main game. Essentially P4U is BB3 and will take the game's spot (in most cases), so if you want to support the game more power to you, I would like to see it live, but we have to do that in steps. This is trying to run before you can even crawl.

Get P4U featured as a major title at EVO (and other majors) is a much more important long term goal, but getting it featured at locals and (offline) ranbats is even more important.

(p.s. MK is a 2D game)

i think you missed the point

the most important thing to me is setting up the stage for this game to appear at big events period

kof13 has 1000 free shirt sales at EVO, im curious to see how many people actually show up to play (though im excited to see it)

and finally, we shouldnt think of p4u's player base as just "bb's scene"

This to the highest caliber.

Over at MayonakaMidnight, almost everyone I've met there is just a huge fan of the SMT series. The rest is basically just people from DL, but I think anyone can tell that we aren't strictly for Blazblue.

Signed it during CEO, I thank Huey for pointing it out to me on stream chat. I will forever remember it as the most intelligent stream chat for a major I'd ever seen.

BBCS2 was my first fighting game, but I stopped playing it when I went to local casual matches and was shown Melty Blood. For what it's worth, everyone in our community is picking up P4U even though we only have a few BB players, so I think that P4U's scene has the potential to get a lot bigger than the current BB scene.

Like a true fanboi I'll only sign when it's GG we're talking about(unless the next iteration sucks, then I'm talking about GGXXAC).

So you have no interest in supporting a game that has the potential to be just as good, if not better, than AC? You're logic continues to astound me, why even bother posting this? Just shut up and don't sign the damn thing if you don't support it.

Ahem, onto the actual point of me breaking my rule of not posting when someone does something dumb on DL. Signed. I feel like I need to make amends for not giving BB a fair shake after CS1. I like many other older players didn't give the game ample time to develop into the great title it is now. It's really unfortunate that BB is essentially a dead game stateside, and rarely do fighting game communities get a second chance to thrive, but that's exactly what we are being given with P4U. This game has the potential to have a huge following here, not just from it's Persona franchise tag, but from the fact that it has all the makings of a great Airdash/Anime/Whatever the fuck you want to call it style 2D fighter. There's room for expansion right now. SFxT was a bust, MK is starting to lose steam, and the only other new titles coming out are 3D games.

I'm more than willing to step up and take my share of the blame and admit i was wrong about BB as a series. I don't think GG vets looking at the game in a poor light for the first year was the only reason for it coming up short here, but I still feel like we all missed out on a chance to put a great game in the spotlight and have a thriving community full of friendly people and great competition. It's almost certainly too late for Blazblue, but P4U might be the second chance we all need to make something good happen as Arc-sys fans.

Keep in mind that Lord-Knight is very correct, signing this petition is only one small step to making good things happen. When the game comes out support it, support your local scene, go to regionals and majors when you can, and most of all keep and open mind and leave the hater mentalities at the door. There's no point in comparing P4U to Blazeblue, Gear, or anything else. It's a new game with a new style, and so far there's no reason to believe it can't be a great competitive game. So yea, consider this my open apology to Blazblue for not doing enough as an arc-sys fan to try and support it.

The reality Klaige, is that we don't want MLG into our community. MLG is full of shooting fans, and generally just the underbelly(trolls) of the gaming community. Fighters in general fill a small niche as it is, let alone 2d fighters. Our community is helpful, cordial, and way more intelligent overall. I've played pretty much every arc systems game to date, and one thing I can tell you is; I have yet to meet a single person outside of fighting fans that even knows what P4a is. It is only when more people as a whole open up to fighters that we as a community grow. Until then, leave the crappy shooter playerbase out of our awesome community.

The reality Klaige, is that we don't want MLG into our community. MLG is full of shooting fans, and generally just the underbelly(trolls) of the gaming community. Fighters in general fill a small niche as it is, let alone 2d fighters. Our community is helpful, cordial, and way more intelligent overall. I've played pretty much every arc systems game to date, and one thing I can tell you is; I have yet to meet a single person outside of fighting fans that even knows what P4a is. It is only when more people as a whole open up to fighters that we as a community grow. Until then, leave the crappy shooter playerbase out of our awesome community.

Look I see your point, I'm not an MLG fan, I was there at Evo2K5 when they all but took over the whole thing and pissed us all off. But it's not about merging FPS fans with 2D fighter fans. It's about getting a game exposure, and that's exactly what MLG can do. Just because there are a few P4 tourneys at MLG a year doesn't mean the game suddenly is going to be overrun with Halo players, it just means we have another avenue to showcase what we all hope is the next great 2D airdash game. You can't think of this as supporting MLG, you need to look at it as using MLG as another platform to help the game (and by extension: it's community) grow.

The idea of different players "tainting" the community is the kind of caustic attitude that will land P4 right in the same spot as BB. Players need to be open to ANYONE gaining an interest in the game. Who cares if FPS players troll it or talk shit about it, when have we ever listened or care about what they have to say anyway? On the other hand being open and welcoming to people will only offer more doors to expand the whole scene. What if there are some FPS or RTS players out there who have a casual interest in 2D fighters but haven't found a game they feel like actually trying. Maybe they are fans of the Persona franchise and give this one a look. I'm not saying it's a definite, or that it's even likely, but we would be very foolish to just omit potential new players because of a perceived stigma about some other gaming community.

In short: Yes MLG has a lot of major cons to it, but this isn't about supporting MLG, it's about supporting P4U. The narrow minded views on other communities are exactly what P4U doesn't want.

Look I see your point, I'm not an MLG fan, I was there at Evo2K5 when they all but took over the whole thing and pissed us all off. But it's not about merging FPS fans with 2D fighter fans. It's about getting a game exposure, and that's exactly what MLG can do. Just because there are a few P4 tourneys at MLG a year doesn't mean the game suddenly is going to be overrun with Halo players, it just means we have another avenue to showcase what we all hope is the next great 2D airdash game. You can't think of this as supporting MLG, you need to look at it as using MLG as another platform to help the game (and by extension: it's community) grow.

The idea of different players "tainting" the community is the kind of caustic attitude that will land P4 right in the same spot as BB. Players need to be open to ANYONE gaining an interest in the game. Who cares if FPS players troll it or talk shit about it, when have we ever listened or care about what they have to say anyway? On the other hand being open and welcoming to people will only offer more doors to expand the whole scene. What if there are some FPS or RTS players out there who have a casual interest in 2D fighters but haven't found a game they feel like actually trying. Maybe they are fans of the Persona franchise and give this one a look. I'm not saying it's a definite, or that it's even likely, but we would be very foolish to just omit potential new players because of a perceived stigma about some other gaming community.

In short: Yes MLG has a lot of major cons to it, but this isn't about supporting MLG, it's about supporting P4U. The narrow minded views on other communities are exactly what P4U doesn't want.

Very well composed argument. I agree that MLG could very well be the stepping stone the community needs to grow more vibrant and strong. However, the problem with such a notion is that fame runs a fine line against infamy, and with a community so stacked against us in the first place, it could inhibit our potential growth as much as it could spread it. I’m more on the fence about it myself, but I do like your perspective towards the matter. Besides the fact that publicity could be what we need, would you accept a trend in its place? Because that could simply be all MLG would do for us.

Very well composed argument. I agree that MLG could very well be the stepping stone the community needs to grow more vibrant and strong. However, the problem with such a notion is that fame runs a fine line against infamy, and with a community so stacked against us in the first place, it could inhibit our potential growth as much as it could spread it. I’m more on the fence about it myself, but I do like your perspective towards the matter. Besides the fact that publicity could be what we need, would you accept a trend in its place? Because that could simply be all MLG would do for us.

I don't think we should view it as a community stacked against the potential players of the game. GG was able to have a strong 6 year run when everyone outside it's core player base "hated the community". The key thing to do, and I know this is difficult, is to tune out and ignore the people who want to bash "anime games". Those are people who have no intention of ever being part of the scene and thus we have no reason to worry about them. All a given player base can do is act respectable, be friendly, and support their game. If other players in other communities want to be douchebags, let them, it's far more productive to spend time and energy on building and promoting the scene for a game you enjoy than it is to try and defend against loudmouths who like to talk shit. This is the same microcosm for MLG, there's no need to get buddy-buddy with the players in other games who think the fighting game community is trash. Instead we can hopefully work with MLG and again, use their rather wide reaching influence on the competitive gaming scene to give P4U more exposure. It's not even about making sure the turnout at MLG specifically is huge, there are plenty of players that will not go to or support MLG no matter what games are there. But the more good press the game gets and the more stream time it gets showing off high level players and an active community can only bode well for the game.

Frankly the best part about supporting this petition is that there is very little risk involved. It could help make P4U grow, but it's unlikely to effect the player base already planning on giving it a look. KoF has done terrible at MLG, but it's scene hasn't diminished because of it. Trying to get a new game to blossom into a solid scene means utilizing every opportunity, and MLG certainly qualifies as a good opportunity for getting the game exposure. If it goes bad, everyone will just blame MLG considering their track record among fighting game players, it's highly unlikely P4U would take the bad press for it.

the only thing wrong with mlg these days is they plan tournaments the same weekend as other majors.

if you hate them because they're all shooter fans, maybe you should like, uh, i dunno, actually give it a shot instead of judging people from the games they play? like. oh man, look at those dumb anime nerds! wow. they smell.

i mean fuck it, everyones already knee deep in esports. cant stop it. it might actually make me some money if i dont play garbage tier.

I never said hate. I know enough shooter fans in real life to know the crowd. You can keep your posts full of vulgarity till you run out of steam. It doesn't make your argument stronger. This isn't about judging people, its about the end result of actually getting into MLG. All i'm saying is, it isn't all some rainbow. A bad outcome is just as likely to happen as a good one.

Fuckin' signed. I love BB, but its numbers are dwindling. P4U has the potential for an extremely large player base for an anime fighting game, and is exactly what the ArcSys community needs to get a second chance at thriving. I want to see the community for it explode.

I just moved to Cali, so Summer Jam is out of the question. NEC... that might be a possibility. I'll try. Especially if P4U somehow makes it into the lineup.

I will do everything in my power to hype this game. I am fully prepared to drive all over the state of California for tournaments and even to nearby states. Not to mention run 12 hour long High Definition streams on Twitch regularly. :v:

MLG schedules stuff a year in advance, but I found it curious that they had events the same weekend as FGC events... so I hope they are working on that now that Arturo is there.

NEC will definitely have P4U in its lineup.