Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SolxBaiken

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: All Star Battle

Sorry for the double-post, but the article is now up on Famitsu website, with lots and lots of system info and screens:

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201209/13020986.html

A not-so-short summary of the system:

- Each character has a Style button that defines how he fights. This is different from the BB Drive in that many characters share similar Styles. For example, Jotaro's Style summons Star Platinum, while Joseph's makes him use the Ripple. Basically, it's the same old Stand button from the old JoJo, just with a more universal name.

- The gauges are health (self-explanatory), guard (depletes while guarding attacks, causing guard crush when it's empty), and Heart Heat (the super gauge). Some characters also have unique gauges over the Heart Heat one: Joseph's makes his consecutive Ripple attacks stronger, like Akihiko's.

- One stock of Heart Heat gauge can be used to perform a "Heart Heat Attack", while two can be used to perform a "Great Heat Attack". For example, Jotaro's HHA is "Oraoraoraora!", his signature flurry of punches, while his GHA is "You pissed me off", which turn the screen into a manga panel and freezes time before delivering even more punches.

- You can perform a Stylish Move: the character strikes one of their poses and dodges the attack completely. It costs some Guard Gauge, but gives you a great chance to counter-attack.

- Taunting the opponent depletes the enemy's Heart Heat gauge, and has some very flashy animations, especially after you win the round.

- The game has chain combos with Weak, Medium and Strong attacks, but there is also the "Easy Beat" option. Just press the Weak attack button with proper timing, and you will perform a combo with a HHA at the end.

- The game's RC mechanic is "Puttsun Cancel". By spending some of the Heart Heat gauge after performing a special move, you can freeze your opponent for a while, either giving you time to continue the combo or making your moves less punishable.

- Tandem Attacks are still in for the characters who have the Stand style. It also still consumes some of the Heart Heat gauge.

- There are stage gimmicks, though it doesn't specify whether you can turn them off or not.

All the newcomers have the Stand style, even Mista.

- Giorno's revealed moves are "Life... Arise..." (he grows a tree and climbs it, probably has unique follow-ups), "The sharp pains... They're hitting me slowly!.." (HHA, a slow-mo punch of Gold Experience) and "Never-Ending End" (GHA, Gold Experience is transformed into Gold Experience Requiem, gaining new abilities).

- Mista got a gauge that shows the amount of bullets he has. His moves are "I'll shoot the hell out of you!" (obviously shoots bullets, zoning the enemy) and "Now I'm serious" (GHA, Mista shoots a bullet that gets redirected by Sex Pistols multiple times).

- Kakyoin's moves are "How about this!" (Hierophant Green unravels into strings), "I shall punish you" (HHA, a combo with Hierophant Green) and "20m Radius Emerald Splash" (GHA, shoots many emeralds all over the screen).

- Polnareff's moves are "Prepare to be skewered!" (many fast stabs with Silver Chariot), "Can't catch me when I take off the armor!" (HHA, removes Silver Chariot's armor, making it faster, but lowering defense) and "Gives you chills, doesn't it?" (GHA, a very fast attack with Silver Chariot's afterimages).

And Matsumaya said that the new Jojo game wasn't a fighting game? :v:

Yeah Japanese developers are weird with how they label their games, much like how Sakurai will deny up and down that Smash Bros. is a fighting game, I think they avoid that because it causes a negative stigma since generally fighting games are viewed as "hard" or "difficult".

But I'm just glad that it wasn't going to end up an action game like Asura's Wrath (my fear when they said "we're not developing a fighter")

I'll say that till I'm blue in the face: "Not a fighting game" is just a bad case of taking a line out of context. Though now it seems like they were just being really modest: they covered all the bases with the system, and it looks more like a proper fighting game than a Naruto variant.

Life Bars: Check

Rounds: Check

Meter System: Check

Yeah guys this is definitely not a fighting game. I'm guessing the Jojo's series is so good it deserves to be labeled under it's own genre. :kitty:

I tought that they were saying something more in the lines that their priority was to make a game that give the best Jojo experience before trying to make a fighting game, at least it was the impression from what was posted on srk.

Apparently, only Joseph can run (and only backwards), the rest of the cast can only dash, Hakumen & Co-style. This is amazing.

Will probably be able to translate this stuff by tomorrow, though there isn't that much to translate other than the move names, and those take a lot of time because I'd like them to match the lines from the manga.

Just don't tell the Prince about it, even changing all the names won't help against him :vbang:

So, there's the TGS stream going on right now, and they pretty much confirmed every single JoJo to be in (except for the part 8 one) by announcing their CVs, along with some other ones.

Jonathan Joestar - Kazuyuki Okitsu

Joseph Joestar - Tomokazu Sugita (!!!)

Wham - Akio Ohtsuka

Jotaro Kujo - Ono Daisuke

Higashikata Josuke - Wataru Hatano

Giorno Giovanna - Daisuke Namikawa

Jolyne Kujo - Sawashiro Miyuki

Johnny Joestar - Kaji Yuuki

Gyro Zeppeli - Shinichiro Miki

Also, the demo that they have on the site only has the first four announced characters.

EDIT: Added the rest of the VAs.

Oh, and here is the new trailer:

Sugita voicing Joeseph.

I think im in love.

I'm totally the opposite haha. I feel like Sugita doesn't fit Joseph at all.

Miki as Gyro, however, is perfect.

There is also some gameplay posted on SRK:

http://shoryuken.com/2012/09/20/jojos-bizarre-adventure-all-star-battle-extended-gameplay-demo-and-updated-trailer-from-tokyo-game-show-2012/

The 30 FPS do show, but doesn't make the gameplay seem any worse. I didn't expect it to be closer to 3D fighters, though.

I see supercancels, juggles, overheads, and some OTGs. cool stuff. I hope with the chain combo system in place that combos don't get too boring (hopefully there's still some of that stand on/off combo goodness from Heritage for the Future).

So much hype!!!!!!I would like/want them to put in the following characters*spoilers for those who didn't the mangas,but plan to watch the anime*(mostly villains),Caesar Zeppelli(just to yell "Yeah! swag bubblebeam" when he attacks),Cars(pretty sure he's going be in it,but I would like to troll with squirrels and Butterflies),Petshop(he shoots icebergs and trolled the crap out of Iggy,one the best fights in part3),Iced(nuff said),Notorious B.I.G(the joke is in the name),one of Dio's other kids,and Weather Report.

Is it just me or does jumping look a bit floaty? I'd like it if they'd make it about as fast as SF4's jump speed, within the 30 FPS limit that they want of course.

But other than that, I'm liking what I'm seeing, but I'm still somewhat on the fence. I'd like to see two decent players going at it to see the system at its played to its potential.

How would "OraOraOra" translate into English I wonder? I can't picture Patrick Seitz doing Jotaro.

If I do, I bust out laughing.