Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DC

[P4A] Chie Satonaka - Gameplay Discussion

Chie is definitely one of the easier characters to get into in this game (I'd argue Labrys was easier, but she's bad so...). IMO, anyone who can at least just do her Oki is decent with the character and can easily start beating people. Her neutral game is a bit odd since it's more about positioning and forcing them to screw up, and less about having great buttons, but once you get it down even that becomes somewhat easy. Combo wise, she doesn't have too many tough combos since most of the time you'll be going into either sweep or confirming into stuff into B Skull Cracker which has an easy link after it; the only thing I think could be hard, and it's hard due to timing not executionally taxing, would be links after A skull cracker, but a little bit in training mode will make those easy too. Chie is super strong and pretty simple, so winning with her shouldn't be too much of a problem once you understand her game, and she's really fun to play too, so I'd say go for it.

Chie is definitely one of the easier characters to get into in this game (I'd argue Labrys was easier, but she's bad so...). IMO, anyone who can at least just do her Oki is decent with the character and can easily start beating people. Her neutral game is a bit odd since it's more about positioning and forcing them to screw up, and less about having great buttons, but once you get it down even that becomes somewhat easy. Combo wise, she doesn't have too many tough combos since most of the time you'll be going into either sweep or confirming into stuff into B Skull Cracker which has an easy link after it; the only thing I think could be hard, and it's hard due to timing not executionally taxing, would be links after A skull cracker, but a little bit in training mode will make those easy too. Chie is super strong and pretty simple, so winning with her shouldn't be too much of a problem once you understand her game, and she's really fun to play too, so I'd say go for it.

Huzzah! So I'll start watching videos to get knowledgeable of her playstyle and start posting some of my videos of me using her so I can get advice and help. :P

If you end up not liking Chie, you might want to give Akihiko a whirl. I find the pad players on my list always gravitate towards him. His combos are about as easy as Chie's and it's hard to keep him out for long because of his uber quick Kill Rush and low jump arc (match-up dependent of course).

If you end up not liking Chie, you might want to give Akihiko a whirl. I find the pad players on my list always gravitate towards him. His combos are about as easy as Chie's and it's hard to keep him out for long because of his uber quick Kill Rush and low jump arc (match-up dependent of course).

I tried him once so I'll check him out again.

Frankly, there's no character in P4 (or any fighting game, but especially P4) that you can't play on pad. Yukiko is the most annoying due to Agi charges, but it's nothing some shoulder bindings can't fix. Don't ever let execution deter you; you only fail when you don't try.

Frankly, there's no character in P4 (or any fighting game, but especially P4) that you can't play on pad. Yukiko is the most annoying due to Agi charges, but it's nothing some shoulder bindings can't fix. Don't ever let execution deter you; you only fail when you don't try.

You're absolutely right. :3

Now I feel more confident.

Finally picking this game up again. One question though.

Is there any frame difference between 5C or 2C? I find it easier to do 236A 236A 5B 2C 236B 236B instead of using the 5C version.

Finally picking this game up again. One question though.

Is there any frame difference between 5C or 2C? I find it easier to do 236A 236A 5B 2C 236B 236B instead of using the 5C version.

No, they're the same move. I do the same thing sometimes.

2C is probably around 2 frames slower than 5C, which would be why you're having an easier time doing 236a~236a 5b 2C 236b compared to doing it with 5C,

I remember running some tests to see if 2C could be used in combos along with 5C and see how it impacts damage/proration and I ultimately decided it should probably never be used in an optimized combo, but I don't remember my reasoning for that, it was a while back. I'll have to investigate it again.

I think some combos will drop with 2C though. Pretty sure Throw OMC 2A 2C yellow combos, as it always does the times I've accidentally done it.

Yeah you're right. Seems like it's more to do with the way 2A chains into crouching moves though, there's more delay than chaining it into standing moves.

@ZomB: that's interesting, did you ever figure out why? The mook never made any differentiation between the startup of 5C and 2C.

Would everyone here be okay if I made a new topic about her pressure strings and options? I feel that hasn't gotten much exposure at all on these forums, and while I'm sure the vets here have most/all her tricks and frame traps padded down, it'd help the new guys and all the Europeans out soon.

Would everyone here be okay if I made a new topic about her pressure strings and options? I feel that hasn't gotten much exposure at all on these forums, and while I'm sure the vets here have most/all her tricks and frame traps padded down, it'd help the new guys and all the Europeans out soon.

Go for it, nobody's going to argue with more information.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post, I did a little searching around and couldn't find the info I was looking for.

How do you do Skullcracker without preceeding it with Rampage? I've seen a few Chies do that in videos. From what I can tell (though I could be wrong) it looks like an SB Skullcracker just after landing, and it probably has something to do with how you can 236AB in the air before landing and get the SB glow without doing Rampage, but I haven't been able to figure it out myself.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post, I did a little searching around and couldn't find the info I was looking for.

How do you do Skullcracker without preceeding it with Rampage? I've seen a few Chies do that in videos. From what I can tell (though I could be wrong) it looks like an SB Skullcracker just after landing, and it probably has something to do with how you can 236AB in the air before landing and get the SB glow without doing Rampage, but I haven't been able to figure it out myself.

236AB right before landing. Do it late enough and you can still have the 236 charged for your 236B or 236AB.

Someone kinda demonstrated to me in person, he had Chie v Chie in training mode. performed a j.B at the skirt height, performed the 236AB before landing like Primiera said, and was able to cancel into the next normal/special afterwards.

You know you've done it currently when Chie is still glowing when she lands

Oh I see, so it's just a low to the ground, quick 236AB ~ AB. Thanks!

My difficulty came from thinking I had to do two 236's, one for the canceled Rampage and another for the Skullcracker, haha. That also made me initially think it required less than 75 SP at the start of the first 236AB, otherwise it would result in a Power Charge lol.

For what it's worth, my success rate with that Skullcracker trick is about 90% if I input another 236, and about 10% if I don't. Do whatever feels most comfortable to you.

I noticed from recent tournament footage that Chie players like Burger McNasty have opted to go for air resets instead of grounded 5D oki. So instead of Sweep > 5DD, it's Sweep > j.C > airdash. The mixup from here is either j.B or airthrow. j.B will counterhit players attempting to tech, and throwing will beat blocking. That's how the commentators explain it anyway.

Is there something about this that makes it superior to the usual ground oki? Maybe it's character-specific?

I noticed from recent tournament footage that Chie players like Burger McNasty have opted to go for air resets instead of grounded 5D oki. So instead of Sweep > 5DD, it's Sweep > j.C > airdash. The mixup from here is either j.B or airthrow. j.B will counterhit players attempting to tech, and throwing will beat blocking. That's how the commentators explain it anyway.

Is there something about this that makes it superior to the usual ground oki? Maybe it's character-specific?

I would strongly advise against this except in the case of Teddie, and even then I'd rather put him in air blockstun at least. Air reset is high risk, mid-ish reward. Oki setup is low risk, but the same reward. That said, you might catch a good player with this once or twice, so up to you if you want to go for the reset. I just wouldn't.

Assuming anything Bobby BurgerMcNasty DsMoove does is smart is a terrible, terrible idea.

I haven't touched this game in about 5 months but I want to again. Is there any cool new stuff I should know about?

I think late air tech blows this setup up, compared to grounded unreactable stuff.