Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DC

[P4A] Chie Satonaka - Gameplay Discussion

My thoughts on Chie... has an insanely tough time getting in to certain characters (ie Mitsuru, Labrys) but once she gets in she becomes an above average character with great oki. Unfortunately, once you're in does not mean that you get to stay in. There are a million defensive options in this game.

IMO there are characters with better oki than Chie with WAY less problems getting in. (Narukami)

I've dropped Chie to sub character status. I play Mitsuru now.

Your not trolling are you? Please tell me you are.

I just got a copy of P4. I never played GG or anything similar im a SF/Marvel guy. And i can tell this is a totally different monster. Does anyone have any idea where i can find some BB stuff for Chie? I tried watching some japanese vids but i cant tell what the hell is going on. Thanks

You can try MayonakaMidnight and the Data thread, etc on here.

There is an Oki tutorial for Chie and a Combo tutorial on Youtube.

Apart from that, there's not much since the game is technically not out yet in the west.

Your not trolling are you? Please tell me you are.

Nope. She's a godlike character and hilariously easy to pick up and play. I wouldn't not recommend playing her or anything.

Do you want me to take over some of the threads for you, since your not playing her that much?

I thought you where like Chie Mod or something.

Good choice of picking Mitsuru though =)

Noel mod actually. I'm still going to play Chie, but I'm focusing on Mits. Only reason I haven't been updating the combo thread is because my computer died, sadly. Tbh aside from the combo thread, nothing else really needs updating.

Yah, this subforum doesn't have any mods yet.

I imagine we probably won't get one for a little bit, since we don't already have one.

Amadeous or LunaKage probably. I'd still do it if I get a new laptop~

Luna already does Chie on MayonakaMidnight, so I wouldn't be surprised.

Amadeous the Jam player? Awesome.

My thoughts on Chie... has an insanely tough time getting in to certain characters (ie Mitsuru, Labrys) but once she gets in she becomes an above average character with great oki. Unfortunately, once you're in does not mean that you get to stay in. There are a million defensive options in this game.

IMO there are characters with better oki than Chie with WAY less problems getting in. (Narukami)

I've dropped Chie to sub character status. I play Mitsuru now.

Wait..... I can understand mitsuru but.... Labrys?

Chie is really fun, it's tough to get in sometimes, but my characters are always like that.

Alright, HUGE noob here. My only fighting game background is Street Fighter related, like HD Remix, 3rd Strike, SSF4, A3, etc. I'm pretty good at using rushdown characters in those game, and I'm advanced enough to know option selects, mix-ups to cover every option, setups, max damage combos, risk vs. reward, stuff like that, so I'm experienced with fighting game tactics in general. That being said, I've never played a game like this, so bear with me here. I wanted to pick up Chie because she looks like my kind of character, an up-close beast who has a lot of mix-ups which lead into more oki upon hitting. I'm pretty much set with using her, even if there are easier characters for this kind of system. I've played a grand total of 5 hours of this game, and because Xbox is EXTREMELY laggy right now I can't really play too much, just a few player matches with other noobies. I have a bunch of questions I'd love if a vet could answer for me about Chie:

1. What's her ideal jump-in? j.B? j.C? I've been using j.A for some reason. What are some good air-to-ground mix-ups? Does Chie jump a lot as a character in general?

2. Anti-airs outside of 2B? For that matter, what should I follow up her 2B (and AB?) with? I've been doing the challenge mode combo, j.B, j.B JC j.B, j.B xx 2BD, which not only does pitiful damage but I can't use it mid-screen sometimes.

3. What's Chie's overall goal when doing a combo? End in sweep xx 5D, or Dragon Kick?

4. BnB hit-confirm is what? A sticky here said A X 3 xx 236A, but it seems bad.

5. What are her high-low mix-ups? The only overhead I think she has outside of AB is her 236A. I don't get how I'm supposed to mix up opponents while they're blocking yet - does she have frame traps?

6. Where should most of her meter go? Any particular special worth powering up?

As an SF player, I can see how you'd wonder how to hit people with Chie

Basically, this mixup is Chie 101:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sf4-gYnCgXM

You should be getting that mixup off every hard knockdown, covered by 5D/2D oki. You can pepper in AoAs, jab whiff low, and anything else you'd like on okizeme, but that airdash mixup is super-important

I'll try to focus on the air dash oki.

In addition to my previous questions, are there any good tricks to know when to cancel her 236A into another 236A? If I mash, I'll Super cancel; what do you guys look for when canceling it? Also, when's the proper time to cancel her throw into a combo? Sometimes they get reset before I can use 2A, other times it's easy as pie.

1. Chie's jB is a good air-to-air. jA is a fast air-to-ground or air-to-air. jC is a slow move that doesn't hit overhead (IIRC).

- 2B > JB > JC > 8D > 2AB > J7 > AD

- 2B > JBB > 8D > 2AB (Side switch)

Both general combos off 2B.

3.Dragon Kick = End with damage. 5D = End with oki. That's how I see it lol, but I've never played Chie in the game before... yet.

4. http://www.dustloop.com/forums/showthread.php?14680-%26%2320096%3B%26%2312373%3B%26%2312435%3B-s-Chie-Combo-Okizeme-Video

This trread contains loads of good combos, check it out.

5.Thread also contains mix-ups/oki.

6. XD

Would love to answer better, but I really have to go now or I will be late for work.

Chie is really fun, it's tough to get in sometimes, but my characters are always like that.

You are not bound to this character archetype.

Wait..... I can understand mitsuru but.... Labrys?

Well obviously not on the same level as Mitsuru.

Eh, let him play who he wants to play. If he likes characters with rushdown and pressure even at the sacrifice of range, let him.

Haven't quite picked up P4U yet but I'm heading out in like 20 minutes to go pick it up, then I'll be grinding all night after work. I played some yesterday at the arcade and got a few hours in, mostly against Circuitous' Kanji. She definitely does feel like Jam from Guilty Gear, never played Noel much in BB so I don't know how she relates to her. I'll be trying to update the forums as much as I can with stuff I discover or complete along with anything people post and I can confirm about her. Hopefully I'll have enough information to do a starter guide before Summer Jam.

Also; MagicalSymphony. If we ever play each other, dibs on Jam palette.

And thanks Dusk.

Congratz on mod ^_^

Also; MagicalSymphony. If we ever play each other, dibs on Jam palette.

Since I'm in UK, I highly doubt it =( (God knows when I get the console release - Though I do get to play Chie on the 22nd)

I'll be UK Jam palette Chie so you can represent the Jam colour in the US =P

But if we do end up playing, I'll refuse to play you unless I'm player 1 so I can steal it :J

Also, after you get some time to play, can you elaborate on how she feels like Jam? Obviously the general design of the characters are similar, but does it really feel like your playing Jam? If you know what I mean.

Also, after you get some time to play, can you elaborate on how she feels like Jam? Obviously the general design of the characters are similar, but does it really feel like your playing Jam? If you know what I mean.

From what I did see, she's got Jam's movement; a very fast run and a short backdash. Her reach and such actually feels a little worse than Jam's, but it's probably just me. Her gameplan seems similar though, get knockdowns and use your oki to drag them to the corner where you get your real damage, and scare the opponent into getting CH where you can take off half their life off.

She also seems really good at controlling jump-ins. 2B moves you forward so you do have to watch that, but 236C/Ryujin is hilarious and has active frames for days. Just don't get obvious with it or let it get blocked haha. Still leads to a good combo on CH though, need to figure out what I can do though.

Also her reversal action is really good I feel. Stops jump-ins for free, really hard to punish since there's nothing to bait. If you want to punish it you have to just delay your attack or grab, it's basically the same way you deal with Jam's parry. Oh and since it's fast and doesn't really commit you to anything at range...use it to enter awakening mode.

Once I get some real training in I can give you a more accurate idea of her. Take this all with a grain of salt right now lol.

Pretty sure her r-action has terrible active frames. Definitely doesn't "stop jump ins for free." Half the time you will swear you time it perfectly and get countered anyway, especially with grabs.

She really feels like an easy Jam ._.

Is her 236236C super invincible on frame 1? Could be like Lambda's Calamity Sword