Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DC

[P4A] Chie Satonaka - Gameplay Discussion

Chie's pretty easy to mash to success in these early hours, haha. She looks like she'll be really fun to grasp the nuances of though.

Re: Chie's reversal aciton: Use it like a parry; both Jam and Makoto have < 10 frames to successfully parry something after the input. You should be using it to stuff obvious jump-ins and braindead pressure or meaty overheads, NOT something you can just mash while you're being comboed or when they're trying to grab you and hope they drop it. Plus Chie's has an advantage over Makoto or Jam where you can just hold back while countering and block anything they mistime to punish a parry. It's not a DP, don't use it like one.

Thanks, that's really helped my decision on whether to play Chie or Mitsuru.

Good luck on your training.

I'm not saying it's a DP, nor is it a particularly terrible counter, but I don't think it's as free as you say it is.

And it most definitely has quite a bit recovery, so holding back won't keep you safe. Play against a Chie and it's really not that hard to bait and time your punishment correctly, as long as you know your character.

Yeah, let me make it clear, I'm definitely not saying just mash it as hard as you can every time, that would be very bad and get you beat up. I'm saying it's definitely not as bad as you say it is though, because it's still very threatening.

How is Chie supposed to get in? I feel like more than half of other characters can keep her out and out-reach her, primarily the top half of the characters. What Chie specific stuff can I do to not get poked out or zoned out? Should I be using her j.D to force an entry? 214214+D works well for a free mix-up, at the cost of 50 SP.

Hopefully I'll have enough information to do a starter guide before Summer Jam.

Reckon it'd be good to make a visual starter guide for Youtube? I have the equipment, just not the game lol.

If someone out there wants to attempt one, be my guest. I only have SD recording equipment, so anything I do will look like ass :V

How is Chie supposed to get in? I feel like more than half of other characters can keep her out and out-reach her, primarily the top half of the characters. What Chie specific stuff can I do to not get poked out or zoned out? Should I be using her j.D to force an entry? 214214+D works well for a free mix-up, at the cost of 50 SP.

It's literally just a waiting game. You'll have to be observant, look for patterns you can recognise in someone's playstyle. Wait for them to make mistakes, and use that chance to get in. I don't think there is anything i could specifically advise regarding getting in, Chie is just that sort of character.

If you get close enough, and you feel your opponent is going to mash buttons, then you can attempt to get a 5C counter hit in. The hitstun for a 5C counter hit looks quite big, so that would give you enough time to follow up with 5A..possibly 5B, depending on the range that you are at.

You'll have to grind a lot of waiting and being patient.

I'll be more then happy to when the game comes out over here somewhere between August 31st - September 7th.

Something I just discovered in training mode: If you're having trouble with CH j.B land 5B 236B 236B, do CH j.B land 2B TK 236B 236B, it's MUCH easier. Not sure on how the damage is yet though, if someone can test that I'd appreciate it.

Combo is

ch j.b land 5b 236b 236b micro dash 5c dash cancel 5a 5c j.b jc j.b 236c

versus

ch j.b land 2b 2369b 236b micro dash 5c dash cancel 5a 5c j.b jc j.b 236c

I haven't tested past the micro dash yet though, so the combo might just drop outright, but I don't see a reason for it to.

Edit: whoops, there IS a catch, if you catch them with the j.B too low you won't have time to 2B. So watch that.

Just do the damn 5b, 2b will move you forward and might be impossible if the j.B is too close.

The game has advanced inputs like BB, use them!

(It's still tight though lol)

I'm super-shitty at connecting the 236B>236B after 236a>236a>5b>5c in the corner combo.

I know the oki video says to delay 5C, and it helps, but it's still really inconsistent for me. Anyone else notice any tricks to doing it?

There was discussion of this over in the combo thread too. Try delaying the first 236B too. Once you get the timing down it becomes really easy, I probably did it about 5 tries in a row once I got it once. Just keep at it, you can do it.

The game has advanced inputs like BB, use them!

(It's still tight though lol)

OMG ARE YOU SERIOUS

*Tries it*

YAAAY

Now I need a tutor buddy who kicks butt with Chie to practice with

You should be inputting black spot during skull cracker, not after. Makes it way easier. Pretty sure that's what Ama meant though.

I think my worst day one moment was when my friend picked Yosuke

And I suddenly realized Agneyastra could not save me in that matchup

I'm super-shitty at connecting the 236B>236B after 236a>236a>5b>5c in the corner combo.

I know the oki video says to delay 5C, and it helps, but it's still really inconsistent for me. Anyone else notice any tricks to doing it?

I'm having the same problem... I like to think every beginner Chie does, lol. Oh well it's only day 1, it'll sink in eventually.

I'm having the same problem... I like to think every beginner Chie does, lol. Oh well it's only day 1, it'll sink in eventually.

One trick you can do is to use 2C instead of 5C. The combo is functionally exactly the same, however, adding the input gives you a natural delay and it lets you roll easily into the 236B (which needs to be delayed as well). This improved my success rate a lot, but mileage may vary.

Basically the way I end up doing it is: 5B > 2(pause) > C > (pause) > 36B

If someone wants to hit me up on skype to start helping me bang out the matchup forums, I'd really appreciate it. Skype is Amadeous4446; if you need to add me as a contact be sure to say you're from Dustloop or something so I know you're not a bot. Thanks.

I'm not exactly experienced, so I don't think I'd be much help; however, I'd love to sit in on the matchup discussion, if it's okay.

Also, question: how exactly do you get people to block as Chie? I understand that her oki game is the main idea, and if you don't hit them during oki, you kinda screwed up, but this game has a really limited gatling table, so I'm unsure of how to get people used to sitting there and blocking my pressure.