Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shinsyn

[P4A] Yu Narukami - Gameplay Discussion

I was playing Yu and my older brother was playing Akihiko and he got the knockdown and approached with standing light in the conner and I messed up and did a standing light on wake-up but to our surprise it won out. So we know that should never work so what is the deal here.

I was playing Yu and my older brother was playing Akihiko and he got the knockdown and approached with standing light in the conner and I messed up and did a standing light on wake-up but to our surprise it won out. So we know that should never work so what is the deal here.
He probably did the 5A too late.

Sorry for all the questions but after watching this ( http://youtu.be/kCp8xuuVsmE ) I don't know what Yu or Chie have over Yosuke. He has both of their setups but better, and he has more mix-ups and speed. He has a little less damage but unavoidable resets. I'm really just been stuck because I am (and Everyone else is) doing well with Yu and like him but people keep saying he will drop off and this seems to prove it.

He mistimed his meaty, nothing more, nothing less

Sorry for all the questions but after watching this ( http://youtu.be/kCp8xuuVsmE ) I don't know what Yu or Chie have over Yosuke. He has both of their setups but better, and he has more mix-ups and speed. He has a little less damage but unavoidable resets. I'm really just been stuck because I am (and Everyone else is) doing well with Yu and like him but people keep saying he will drop off and this seems to prove it.

They have much more health than Yosuke (8300). Yu has much better oki than Yosuke (or Chie). Izanagi oki is hands down the best in the game because it can't be late teched, whereas Chie and Yosuke's sweep into oki can be. Yu has much stronger normals than Yosuke, 5B and 2B are in a class of their own apart from Mitsuru's A moves, while Yosuke relies on his speed in order to get in and make his normals effective. Yu's combos also all end in knockdown, whereas Yosuke usually has to reset back to neutral. Ziocar is a ridiculously good move that Yu has as well, it beats many moves and leads into big damage with meter.

I bet you can avoid the resets by teching up or jumping/air dashing before the 2B.

That video has a lot of good shit, but Yu has a good neutral game, more life than Yosuke, I think better average damage than Yosuke (although that fatal combo is nasty), and I'm gonna mention 5B again because it's super annoying for the opponent to deal with.

I mean if you want to play Yosuke play Yosuke. But I don't think Yu is bad.

Just my opinion.

To me they're equals.. not one stronger not one weaker..

Yu has good neutral game, good life, nice range, best oki, mixups like hell and dp's.. Though lots of punishable frames, easily zoned and sometimes slow startups,

While Yosuke has quick game, good air combos, zones well with kunai, confusing mixups and easy executions.. Though terrible when in status ailments, Weak at pressures and low HP.

And I disagree, Yu has more mix-ups trust me..

So I had a really dumb idea recently. The problem with j.2A to j.D is that your frame advantage is really low, right? So a meaty 5A will barely stop a jump, etcetera. Well, if you feel like calling them on being squirmy, you can probably just uppercut them on their wakeup. Then Izanagi will come down and make you safe, and probably blockstring off of it. This might be a good way to make j.d oki more solid. You can probably combo from it too, I will test this later.

so... that narukami wiki is feeling pretty lonely guys...

Agreed, I don't mind helping out with it if needed.

So I have been reading all these posts here and have been watching videos of Yu play, and I went into the game online having a general idea of knowing what to do. I have a decent win rate, but I still feel I dont understand exactly what I am supposed to be doing. I am doing Yu 5D oki when I do manage a knockdown, and have been punishing B+D's and other stuff, but I dont understand how the neutral game works, or how to start pressure or "get in" in general. I have a background in Street Fighter IV if that means anything. I am starting to think its because I'm not used to the "anime" genre just yet. Any tips would be appreciated guys!

How do you approach in general? Usually when I do approach I walk and air 214A/B that is something you want to avoid. While it sometimes on players who are charging moves i.e. Mitsuru, good players will IB your move and punish heavily especially if you gamble using 214B for a FC/CH. Yu has an air dash, use it. Are you doing IAD A+C to air turn and cross up the opponent when you oki? Do so to add to your oki game. You have the basics from what I can read and that is wonderful! You sir have done what I am hoping to one day accomplish so don't worry you're already well on your way to see progress. "Getting in" varies on the character so hit up the match up thread! Feel free to add your knowledge and help everyone out. Do you have trouble with someone? A good tip is to download your opponent learn their pattern to expand your damager potential.

If you feel yourself lacking in some aspect, a tip I received from good players is to use YouTube and upload your gameplays. Finding a way to do so will help the better players here tell you specific tips you might find very helpful. Watch the videos posted in the video to see what other players do, noted players to watch here are Shinsyn, Kikuichimonji, Darkpath and VR-Raiden. They have been very helpful to me and are very knowledgeable about the character.

pressure is not something narukami excels at, alot of your pressure will be reliant on 5a and 2a as he doesnt really have many pressure reset tools and most of them are really slow like j.2a and 236d

what he excels in is spacing with his normals, his reach is *cough* almost on par with mitsuru but he can end majority of his combos in sweep>5d oki which is easily one of the scariest setups in the game

from my experience he also does a pretty good job at fishing for card break punishes with 5c and 2c since j.b and 5b are pretty godlike in terms of reach

Also try reading through character ranges like how you space mid way on kanji, zone chie and akihiko, assault yosuke and bait in for naoto. it's more detailed in matchup threads..

If you're an SF player you'll find it hard on how punishing your counters are, but you'll get over it after some time on casuals

sorry for the double post..

eh j.c not so much....all you do is hang in air for a while and can cancel into j.d or dive on block and the lower hitbox is kinda shitty

Air assaults can be easily negated by j.C most of the time and eats some persona cards if lucky, very useful on zoning.

So I have been reading all these posts here and have been watching videos of Yu play, and I went into the game online having a general idea of knowing what to do. I have a decent win rate, but I still feel I dont understand exactly what I am supposed to be doing. I am doing Yu 5D oki when I do manage a knockdown, and have been punishing B+D's and other stuff, but I dont understand how the neutral game works, or how to start pressure or "get in" in general. I have a background in Street Fighter IV if that means anything. I am starting to think its because I'm not used to the "anime" genre just yet. Any tips would be appreciated guys!

I was in the same boat. I didn't get it. I'm kinda new to the genre as well. The thing that helped me the most was thinking of Yu like Sagat. I figured this might help you seeing as you come from the Street Fighter background like myself. Have a strong ground game. Throw a fireball at the safe (almost full screen) distance. Use that to bait jumps and punish accordingly. When they try and advance on the ground make them respect your awesome ground normals. Think Sagat. That helped me understand the neutral game a lot. Hope it helps you as well.

I find it decent for stuffing iads but thats about it =/

That's pretty much it, or you can use it to delay your fall. It works to an extent but you put yourself at risk of someone 2B'ing you if they catch you doing it too low.

Does his air throw allow for Oki setups afterward or does the opponent recover too fast?

The oki isn't great but if you didn't already use an air dash/double jump, you can do a low airdash towards them as they tech to sorta high-low mixup/apply pressure.

Does his air throw allow for Oki setups afterward or does the opponent recover too fast?

It can setup for a j.D after an air throw but I won't recommend it since it's too slow and mix-ups are limited..