Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chazmobile

[P4A] Yosuke Gameplay Discussion

Whether he meant j.2C or not it can still be done without Sukukaja.

My bad on saying it was on the wiki. I thought I had read it there the other day. It's in one of the threads, here, then, and should be transferred to the wiki soon to prevent me from looking like a jerk the next time someone brings it up, haha.

I don't think we are talking about the same thing. I am referring to j.2C cancelling into dash spring and tentarafoo on hit or block. Not cancelling the startup into moonsault or kunai.

I don't think we are talking about the same thing. I am referring to j.2C cancelling into dash spring and tentarafoo on hit or block. Not cancelling the startup into moonsault or kunai.

Yeah. He posted two bits of information. The first was j.C being able to cancel into Moonsault/Kunai in Sukukaja, though Yosuke doesn't need Sukukaja to do this. The second one was j.2C/Transform Ripper/Mirage Slash canceling into dash spring or Tentarafoo, to which I mistakenly said it was on the wiki.

Yosuke's notations are confusing since its the same motion, with all his cancel states.

On the topic of J.C, that normal is simply amazing. I was watching JP matches and realised that they throw it out quite a bit at neutral. I've started to incorporate it a lot more into my own game now and it seems to working just brilliantly.

It's actually one piece of information, because I meant j.2C, and I was referring to it cancelling into dash spring/tentarafoo the whole time. I already know you can cancel j.2C startup. Also, what I meant by my second sentence was that j.2C can red beat combo into tentarafoo C.

My bad. I mispoke. Then I didn't spell it out.

The fact that Yosuke just jumps higher than everyone else makes that hitbox and active frames really valuable.

It can also clash with many anti airs with ease as well.

The only tricky part of using it is that it takes a while to comes out especially compared to all of Yosuke's other lighting fast normals.

Just don't get too reckless with it and get your persona broken but then again, unlike some characters, Yosuke can cope just fine with his Persona.

Another tidbit is that it doesn't hit high, so people can block low on it. Not a big deal, but worth noting.

It's still not Aigis J.C-tier though. Fuck that normal so hard.

Regardless it's awesome, his douchey little grin makes it even better :3

Can anyone give me a video of reference maybe? I've seen quite a few Yosuke matches in the Video thread but maybe I've never seen anyone use hit J.C effectively.

I actually saw this already in the gliding thread haha. Ah well maybe someday I'll see what's good about it. I guess you make a good point about the fact that he's behind Jiraiya a bit, that was the only perk I was really ever using it for.

Guys guys guys. I just had a revelation.

Yosuke's normals are jump cancelable on hit, and in Suku mode on block.

*stare...*

"Duh, Milln. We know about that."

Yeah, but are you USING IT? I feel like I just leveled up like five times. Why do we need to end every single combo? Dash Spring A to Kunai as a combo ender generally only deals 700 damage. Personally, i'm going to go for the reset. Especially since we can confuse opponent both in-game with Tenta and mentally with Yosuke's movement options. Example: Say you fudge a 5A, 5C and stick a 5B in there for 5A, 5B, 5C, 2C and drop it there, jump cancel into whatever. Instant air dash glide to their side, the other side, tiger knee moonsault, super jump j.2C... whatever you want. I know I sound like a lunatic suggesting this sort of thing as not finishing your plate, but I think I just clicked again with Yosuke and it's definitely how i'm going to play him. ESPECIALLY in Sukukaja mode where Tentarafoo becomes a crazy asset. Blocking becomes really difficult all of a sudden. You can even iAD and EX Moonsault the moment you cross the opponent up for a reversed high attack.

I was just so excited at this, I had to come tell my Brosukes. If you don't agree with not finishing some of your combos, don't pay me any mind, but I'm going to play like this and i'll let you all know how it works.

Guys guys guys. I just had a revelation.

from a hit-confirmed 2A I've been toying with this as an option. 2A 5A 5B 5C 2C IAD will put you at perfect distance for followup combo with either j.B, j.C or glide 2A. I haven't completely tried messing with distance yet and trying for cross-overs, fake cross-overs and tentarafoo. I'll also have to check opponent options as maybe jump will render all of this moot

tested

2A, 5B, 5C, 2C, IAD

side switch C will cross up, beaten by jump (will whiff completely, won't cross up)

side switch B will cross up, and whiff on jump

doing B immediately will stay on same side, stuffing jump attempts

glide j.A will catch jump, 5A will combo from ground or air hit might be counter safe due to distance?

glide 2A is jumpable unless I'm fucking up

IAD B delay 2B did

IAD B, 2C is pretty cool, B is same side, 2C is VERY hard to see cross up low...obviously jumps ruin this as they get nipped out of air by B and 2C goes under

IAD B , delay D was pretty cool

over all seems most usefull were

IAD glide A

IAD B, A

IAD B 2C for a wtf moment

IAD side switch C if they're really pinned down

When catching an opponent in a throw, you could OMC>dash up>combo. However, using Throw>OMC>Tentarafoo is viable as well. This technique creates a tick grab with a very small window to escape. Bursting seems to be the only consistent option to get out. Using 236C yosuke will be caught by opponents burst. Instead use 236D only Jiraiya will be caught by the burst. Useful bait to end a round with.

When catching an opponent in a throw, you could OMC>dash up>combo. However, using Throw>OMC>Tentarafoo is viable as well. This technique creates a tick grab with a very small window to escape. Bursting seems to be the only consistent option to get out. Using 236C yosuke will be caught by opponents burst. Instead use 236D only Jiraiya will be caught by the burst. Useful bait to end a round with.

Honestly I think it's better to go for the follow-up combo. It's a good 2.5k and puts you in a good position to chase their tech. On the other hand, using Tentarafoo will mean that you are sacrificing 50 meter for something that may be escapable, does far less damage and the confusion status is not a reward that warrants the meter use. The fact that Tentarafoo D means that the burst misses Yosuke would be a good idea but I doubt Yosuke himself will be able to punish the burst accordingly seeing as he is still recovering from Tentarafoo.

I'll be sure to check this out in more depth though once I get another hands on with the game.

snip

After learning how to glide consistently, I also much prefer to to do IAD glide after 5C>2C on standing opponents rather than 236A> Kunai.

Though you sacrifice a bit of damage in the process, you are put in a much more favourable position that results in a very nasty mix-up opportunity. You have:

IAD glide J.A, this hits overhead and forms the first part of the mix-up. It also leads into pretty good damage if you are able to hitconfirm it correctly. But, if you continuously use it it becomes rather easy to react to. In which case you use it alongside....

IAD glide>land>2A, this is the low part and is very hard to react to when combined with J.A. This is due to the J.A hitting at around the opponent's thigh/knee level, so a frame or two more delay and that overhead turns into a very fast low.

IAD glide>land>throw, another mix-up option that is also very hard to react to when you're using the other two in tandem. Though this gives the lowest reward meterless, it does poison them and place you in a good position to run back in and continue pressure as per usual. With 50 SP you can OMC it for a decent damage combo.

The best part about these options after JCable normals is that you are able to block while gliding. This means that if you feel the opponent's fingers are getting itchy after trying to block you every time, you can easily bait their R-Action for a juicy 2C FC punish. (I need to test this on Akihiko and Yu' R-Action seeing as the first hit is air-unblockable.)

Honestly I think it's better to go for the follow-up combo. It's a good 2.5k and puts you in a good position to chase their tech. On the other hand, using Tentarafoo will mean that you are sacrificing 50 meter for something that may be escapable, does far less damage and the confusion status is not a reward that warrants the meter use. The fact that Tentarafoo D means that the burst misses Yosuke would be a good idea but I doubt Yosuke himself will be able to punish the burst accordingly seeing as he is still recovering from Tentarafoo.

I'll be sure to check this out in more depth though once I get another hands on with the game.

Yes going for the combo after Throw>OMC is the better choice. Using 236D after throw is almost strictly a round ender when the opponent has little life and a burst available to them. Also when the opponent does burst, Yosuke can follow up with a combo(236B, 236A~Ax2, J236D) since it's a blue burst. If your enemy can gold burst, Tentarafoo was late.

Yes going for the combo after Throw>OMC is the better choice. Using 236D after throw is almost strictly a round ender when the opponent has little life and a burst available to them. Also when the opponent does burst, Yosuke can follow up with a combo(236B, 236A~Ax2, J236D) since it's a blue burst. If your enemy can gold burst, Tentarafoo was late.

Ah I see, so Yosuke recovers fast enough from 236D to punish the blue burst with 236B? That's really good to know dude, thanks.

I played today with buddy, and i'm still a newbie on fighting games (FPSs most of the time the last 5 years :P), but i think a got something useful (i dont know if you already know it):

In air combos the normal ender after J.2B is J.236D, but because of my lack of experience, i just did a J.D, and it was like a "air-oki" ender, allowing me to fall quicker and get closer.

My doubt is that if it would be "delayed" or just as quick as posible. I did it many times: some times he blocked it, so I get closer, other times he didn't so he got 800 damage in the air (something that a kunai ender wouldn't do).

So, do you think is good, or am I missing something?

Work on the next exhibition video is coming along nicely and I have a good idea in the other tools I want to focus on in this one along with some new combos I haven't seen around.

Anything you guys would like to see or would like to see a more in-depth coverage of?

Work on the next exhibition video is coming along nicely and I have a good idea in the other tools I want to focus on in this one along with some new combos I haven't seen around.

Anything you guys would like to see or would like to see a more in-depth coverage of?

For the newbies like maybe some BnBs, for the most of the situations, explaining what to do in such situation. Is better to know solid, safe and short combos than "kicking ass" combos that are just used for fun in training mode.

For the newbies like maybe some BnBs, for the most of the situations, explaining what to do in such situation. Is better to know solid, safe and short combos than "kicking ass" combos that are just used for fun in training mode.

This video covers most of the beginner combos you should know in my book.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqG3eVM8zJ4&feature=youtu.be

I'm trying not to reiterate things already shown in other videos unless it's really, really important. Especially combos.

I've made an attempt to dumb down some of the tougher combos while keeping most of the damage + benefits of doing the combo in certain cases though.

This video covers most of the beginner combos you should know in my book.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqG3eVM8zJ4&feature=youtu.be

I'm trying not to reiterate things already shown in other videos unless it's really, really important. Especially combos.

I've made an attempt to dumb down some of the tougher combos while keeping most of the damage + benefits of doing the combo in certain cases though.

Thank you :D

For the newbies, they can look at a combo thread for the BnB's. That's what it's there for. Learning how to hit-confirm with a character should be a personal responsibility. If anything, just showing us more tech with different air options and oki set-ups should be fine.

Oh, and uhhh, hi everybody. I want to learn Yosuke because he doesn't afraid of anything (besides gay stuff, of course).