Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chazmobile

[P4A] Yosuke Gameplay Discussion

Anything you guys would like to see or would like to see a more in-depth coverage of?

I'd like to see the slight invul on Moonsaults addressed (a few examples of moves you can invul through), and maybe some emphasis on Yosuke's air options when airdashing in/following up off 236A/B. Also, I've seen people OMC Yosuke's air throw prematurely before he deals 2 hits/poisons (which still seems to have full untech time on CH), and I'm wondering if anyone has come up with a useful application for it?

Oh, and uhhh, hi everybody. I want to learn Yosuke because he doesn't afraid of anything (besides gay stuff, of course).

Lotta familiars wanting in on the brosuke fun lately..

I don't blame them.

It's probably outside the scope of what you're looking to do, but potentially a couple notes or tips for each matchup wouldn't hurt

That might be the kind of thing that would be deserving of a whole different set of its own videos though.

Work on the next exhibition video is coming along nicely and I have a good idea in the other tools I want to focus on in this one along with some new combos I haven't seen around.

Anything you guys would like to see or would like to see a more in-depth coverage of?

some setups, oki, char specific stuff, properties on moves, etc. Less combos, more usable stuff.

Wait, IS there a finished list on properties and frames of his attacks available yet? I haven't been really keeping tabs on here lately..

A finished list of move properties, no, but a work in progress is on the dust loop persona 4 arena wiki.

I've come up with some resets of all natures: good, scary, ghetto, and scummy. All tested on others for their unpredictableness. I'm on my phone right now, so I can't post up adequately, (i even got called a scumbag for one and i just laughed) but I'll post when I get back home.

Found some combos, too.

@j.D instead of D Kunai guy: you can typically do Kunai and jump up and do a j.D anyway since they are high up in the air. It's not necessary to drop the extra damage.

A finished list of move properties, no, but a work in progress is on the dust loop persona 4 arena wiki.

I've come up with some resets of all natures: good, scary, ghetto, and scummy. All tested on others for their unpredictableness. I'm on my phone right now, so I can't post up adequately, (i even got called a scumbag for one and i just laughed) but I'll post when I get back home.

Found some combos, too.

@j.D instead of D Kunai guy: you can typically do Kunai and jump up and do a j.D anyway since they are high up in the air. It's not necessary to drop the extra damage.

That's only possible with J.236AB Kunai, because of the falling recovery.

douchebag setup:

236C/D xx Sukukaja, 66, 2A, 222CD

Panic ailment ends just before IK hits them. Not at all practical. It's just something to troll with.

Not practical but can be silly on someone who may know the setup a bit.

I can just imagine they hold forward and panic runs out JUST before it hits, then.....you know rest.

EX TABLE FLIPS

That's only possible with J.236AB Kunai, because of the falling recovery.

No, I mean when you land and recover from either Kunai version, you have the option jump up and send Jiraiya out depending on their tech. You have more than enough time.

douchebag setup:

236C/D xx Sukujaka, 66, 2A, 222CD

Panic ailment ends just before IK hits them. Not at all practical. It's just something to troll with.

Luh-May-Yo. I'm going to troll with this. How did I not think of this.

In addition to the jump cancel iAD stuff that was already noted, you can j.B or Air-Turn j.B. That in itself is very ambigious. You can land on the other side and you can 5A or 5C. As another option, you can Moonsault(with your desired amount of delay from the j.B) and catch them with a Moonsault combo or do a hella low Moonsault, recover, and get an air combo with 5A. Also from the iAD you can forgo the air normal to j.2C, which will happen immediately as you cross to the other side. Additionally you can say F the instant Air Dash in the first place and just tiger knee a moonsault for either a normal or super jump version.

Tentarafoo scumbaggery:

You know how 5A, 5B, 5C, 2C, 236B doesn't combo? Now it's a reset if they hold away from you expecting your combo to end after Confusion wears off.

Everything like that applies.

Sometimes you can simply scare your opponent into blocking (even the correct direction, who cares) because of how you handle them while they're confused and you can drop a combo to Tentarfoo them again. Unless they're expecting it, they won't be able to react in time so they take 700 and Confuse is renewed.

This -doesn't work- if your opponent gets caught by j.2C and blatant Moonsaults in the first place, but when they're confused, you can just start pecking at them with raw Moonsaults and j.2C's. Obviously this is character dependent so you don't get DP'd or something similar, but that's why you can cancel Moonsault or Mirage Slash into Kunai in the first place, and why you have two different versions of Moonsault. And why Mirage Slash becomes special cancellable while in Sukukaja.

Jokes like that work both on and offline, I find.

I don't have time right now, but i'll make a post about Dash Spring and its intricacies tomorrow. It's a very interesting move with lots of interesting points about it. I suggest it goes into a Yosuke vid at some time.

Lol thats sounds great man, i'm looking forward to hearing it. Need to troll with those Tentarafoo tricks next time I play this game.

Ultimate pointless scumbag setup to catch a back insta-tech only.

For reference, Moonsault-Slash(236A~A), Moonsault-Slash(236A~A), Kunai(236D), Garudyne(236236C) does 3098

If you catch them with a Moonsault high enough to where you don't think another moonsault will connect, you can One More Cancel the Moonsault, air jump forward and air throw on your way down. If done right, you'll air throw for 1400(Moonsault) + 1300 damage + Poison(throw) = 2700 + approximately 4.8% of their health if poison runs its course. Takes some timing and isn't worth it, but man do I feel like a giant troll when I do it.

Edit: Works anywhere you would put a Moonsault, like 236B Dash Spring combos. Holy crap it just got a lot less pointless and i'm using this and laughing every single time I do it.

Disclaimer: Will only work maybe once a tournament.

Dash Spring Double Post

DASH SPRING.

Is weird.

There is a lot going on with this move and it's difficult to explain, so stay with me, here. We're going to explain everything with One More Cancels.

yo403_08.png

This is the first hitbox. It does 500 damage and enough hitstun for the second hit to happen, but there's actually two more places that you can OMC in addition to that initial hit.

If you OMC on the first point, you are on the ground and if you're holding a direction you can begin a run, using the handy OMC Cancel buffer mechanic.

If you OMC on the second point, you are in the air and can do air actions like jump, but if you do nothing you fall straight down. It's not likely to get this spot unless it's an accident.

If you OMC on the third point, you are in the air hopping toward them and can do air actions. Here, they actually recover before you land, but don't tell anybody.

Hit number 2 is where the difference between A Run and B Run differ. This hitbox is just a checking device to make sure that there's still something there for this hitbox to connect with.

yo403_13.png

A Run(And EX non counter) keeps them standing, and B ground bounces.

If you One More at this point, you immediately drop to the floor, slide back a long distance that is not Run OMC-able(holding a direction will only walk) since he's technically in the air when you cancel and the opponent gets a large amount of both block and hitstun that you can combo off of. B Dash Spring holds Yosuke here for a pretty long time here, because of the hitstop is so forceful.

yo403_14.pngyo403_15.png

These next two points are interesting. They determine the height of your backflip. If you OMC the first point, you'll get the highest air trajectory and you're able to combo into an air normal off of A Dash Spring. j.B or j.A for B Dash Spring. If you One More Cancel during the flip, your vertical height is compromised and, depending on when you did it, you won't have time to j.C, j.B, and can only j.A or 5A to combo.

And that's Dash Spring. It has a lot of potential for letting you do WHATEVER THE F YOU WANT so I recommend Yosuke players look into it. The mixup/reset potential is astounding.

But you have to OMC it, and any reset you do isn't going to do much. Might as well spend the meter on garudyne. Yosuke base damage on non-CH is pretty shitty. I mean, sure, this can have its uses, but it sounds hella gimmicky, especially consider everyone has an R-Action.

But you have to OMC it, and any reset you do isn't going to do much. Might as well spend the meter on garudyne. Yosuke base damage on non-CH is pretty shitty. I mean, sure, this can have its uses, but it sounds hella gimmicky, especially consider everyone has an R-Action.

If you're talking about the Dash Spring post, i'm mainly extolling the virtues of doing this versus a -blocking- opponent, but admittedly wasn't very clear on this. I wanted other players to use their creative juices to come up with their own ideas on how to use it since I think that coming up with something on your own lets you understand a tactic or combo a better than simply being told what to do. On Block, OMC-ing Dash Spring to whatever you feel will work is more likely to open up your opponent than anything else at that point or even prior in your in block string. If you save the meter, then you might not get the chance to Garudyne at all. I'm also not saying use it every time. It's a trick and needs to be used cleverly.

Although, even on hit I believe that Garudyne vs. an unpredictable OMC on an A Dash Spring (because B Dash Spring combos are worth more to me than a reset attempt) or other moves is definitely a toss up on which one I would rather use. Depends on how I feel about my opponent, life totals, meter left, bursts left, and so on.

Someone pressing B+D is not a reason to forgo using a setup. If it were, we might as well just not hold our controllers or sticks in the first place because we're just going to get DP'd out. Heck, we even want them to use the reversal. That's the most favorable thing that a Yosuke can ask for. Bait it and enjoy a Fatal Counter combo.

Corner oki setup

It's a variation on the regular sweep 5D setup. You do sweep 5D8/9D late j.B or land 2A(I know there is no 8/9D I just wrote it like that because you need to jump as soon as you recover from 5D as well as input 5DD immediately). Also hold 4 the whole time your in the air.

If they tech and block 5DD will make your j.B or land 2A airtight.

If they tech immediately after the sweep and dp you will block it in the air. Akihiko and Shadow Labyrs' dps will whiff if you jump forward. Yu's dp will also whiff if you jump forward, but you have to use j.A against him. Kanji's dp will hit you if you press j.A/B. Teddie's dp will hit you.

If they delay tech 5DD will whiff but you will safe jump the following dps:

Labyrs

Mitsuru

Aigis

Yukiko

Yu

Akihiko

Shadow Labyrs

Other dps:

Naoto: You can jump cancel and block it.

Elizabeth:Throw break, dp, or avoid it.

Chie:The first hit somehow becomes low when doing this setup so block low.

Kanji, Teddie and Yosuke will beat you.

If the opponent doesn't tech the 5DD will hit them and you can land and followup with j.AA etc.

Another corner oki setup building on the above:

Sweep 5D and then tiger knee a Moonsault. Since Moonsault crescent slash crosses up in the corner, you can 5DD and catch them blocking the opposite way. If you crescent slash first(in the air), 5DD will be the cross up attack and launch them.

Them being in the corner makes it really ambiguous. Haven't tested it against DPs or anything, yet.

Another corner oki setup building on the above:

Sweep 5D and then tiger knee a Moonsault. Since Moonsault crescent slash crosses up in the corner, you can 5DD and catch them blocking the opposite way. If you crescent slash first(in the air), 5DD will be the cross up attack and launch them.

Them being in the corner makes it really ambiguous. Haven't tested it against DPs or anything, yet.

If I recall you lose to every dp except Naoto and Elizabeth. You clash with Labyrs and Shadow Labyrs. You either clash or lose to Kanji depending on timing. Chie will return to neutral. Teddie beats every 5D setup which I forgot to post above, but I think something weird happens with this setup.

so... anyone want to help with teh wiki? i noticed that the fast fall/gliding technique isn't mentioned in there (and that's pretty darn important).

I found out EX dash spring an go through most of labrys' persona attacks. I dont think it will full work on her gears special though.

I found out EX dash spring an go through most of labrys' persona attacks. I dont think it will full work on her gears special though.

It'll work, but the gears will linger, and you'll both get counterhit.

Does anyone prefer to not shuriken toss after an A dash spring? What kind of frame scenario are you in if you just land?

A precarious one. I prefer to A Moonsault away and D Kunai if I see my opponent move.

Tentarafoo scumbag mixups work perfectly. The opponent is too focused on blocking, than on reacting to Jiraiya resetting their confusion. I got four Tentarafoo enders(to both blocks and hits, I didn't care.) in a row against many people today at a local gathering.

Jump cancelling iAD air turn j.B also works pretty well. Did that multiple times and only got punished for it when I screwed up, only had it blocked once.

B Dash Spring, A Moonsault, A Moonsault, OMC jump forward air throw to catch back tech also worked the one time I tried it.

5DD with Moonsault shenanigans in the corner also work just fine.

Pretty much all of the tech and gimmicks we've been coming up with in this thread have been successful as long as you don't overuse them and can play it off well. I am pleased and happy this is so.

Also had something weird happen. I rolled though an Akihiko Furious Action. The first hit caught the startup frames of the roll, but the second hit missed and I was on the other side and was able to punish. trollface, I guess.