Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Urichinan

[P4A] Shadow Labrys - Gameplay Discussion

Playing her, you have to keep using D to help Asterios live.

Sometimes, you forget to keep him guarding and he breaks and you're just playing punching bag for your opponent at times.

Might be a silly question, but can you input specials for Asterios while he's guarding, or do you have to let go off D before doing the special? (Basically a case of, does he have to be in his neutral state to use a special or not)

Persona 4 will be my first fighting game that is not Capcom. So can someone explain what her not having air tight block strings really means?

Does mean she will have a harder time hit confirming? Or she has to use her Persona to make her offense safe? Or what..

It means that there is large gaps in her pressure to escape. You have to use her Persona to keep the mixup going and to keep her safe. She actually hitconfirms very well.

Might be a silly question, but can you input specials for Asterios while he's guarding, or do you have to let go off D before doing the special? (Basically a case of, does he have to be in his neutral state to use a special or not)

I'm not sure, but I would assume that you could. Since you can buffer an attack out of a normal guard.

I've actually read that you can hold 5D to maintain guard without having to reinput it, so that's potentially good to know if it's indeed true.

What exactly do you mean? That seems like it would be obvious, unless you mean you can perform an attack with asterios while still holding guard and he will automatically go back into guard state after the attack?

Persona 4 will be my first fighting game that is not Capcom. So can someone explain what her not having air tight block strings really means?

Does mean she will have a harder time hit confirming? Or she has to use her Persona to make her offense safe? Or what..

It basically just means you have to worry about baiting reversals more. However, normal reversals dont lead into damage without meter in this, so often the risk reward is heavily in your favor, and slab's persona helps her bait them a lot.

What exactly do you mean? That seems like it would be obvious, unless you mean you can perform an attack with asterios while still holding guard and he will automatically go back into guard state after the attack?

Say I'm holding 5D, and then input 236C. Would Asterosis go straight into flame of hades out of his blocking animation, or would the game require me to let go of D first so he returns to a neutral state, before he can do flame of hades.

What I'm saying is wouldn't have to know or register when the blocking animation ends, it's not like if you hold 5B you'll perpetually swing the axe.

So wait, is the blocking animation constant or is it a set amount of time and you have to perpetually re-press the button to make him guard again?

Also, rephrasing the former question about buffering moves while defending. So, is it that Asterios can function a way similar to how Nirvana does in that you can input a special (while holding D) and then let go of guard and it'll come out? so like 5[D] > 236C > 5]D[ > 236C comes out? Or do you have to re-input after releasing his guard?

Just rephrasing so I understand better. I'm confusing myself haha.

Obviously without having the game none of us knows. But from what I understand you hold down 5/2D and he'll block until you are either hit or the button is released. Doing 5[D] > 236C > 5]D[ > 236C Activates shouldn't work. But you could more than likely release D while inputting 236C and have it come out.

You can hold D and input 236C. Asterios will get out of block and do the special, after the special is over he'll go back into block if you kept D holded.

You can hold D and input 236C. Asterios will get out of block and do the special, after the special is over he'll go back into block if you kept D holded.

Oh yes, that's nice. thanks for the information Kurushii.

Incase none of you saw it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gpzm4hqK-J0&lc

It shows off a lot of other new oki options. I particularly like the Flames of Hades setups towards the end.

Thanks~ That clears up exactly what I wanted to know, and its a lot simpler than "Nirvana" style inputs.

Exactly how I wanted it. Thanks Kurushii~

Tried my hands on this game. Loving this character so far, so I'm probably gonna stick to her as my main (with Mitsuru as my sub :3)

Few things I found that were interesting:

-Asterios's 5C has armor against close-quarter attacks , from start to finish (well, except for the first 4 or 5 frames, maybe). Even her recovery has armor. Those who aren't used to this will try to break S. Labrys's persona before it could land a hit, but ended up eating a fat punch. I found this to be quite humorous, but this makes her oki game that much scarier. I think Asterios also has some armor during his 236C attack, but I'm not exactly sure about its properties.

-Her left-and-right mixup game is almost nonexistent after her 5AAA>214A combo. But her aerial combo into a j.214A brings her close enough to the opponent to grant her the option of a crossup.

(EDIT: I was wrong. Her 236 C oki should be slow enough for you to run up to the opponent and roll to the other side for a crossup.)

-Her 236236C super is burst-safe. Not very useful info, but I thought this was pretty funny.

Not really practicable though :(

Tried every timing possible, it's nearly impossible to connect. The IK has like 1 active frame or something :x

From what i can tell with the little experience i have, she deals pretty weak damages when not in awakening mode. She has great okizeme each time her persona lands a hit.

Her 5A is a great punisher as it's a 4f and hit fairly far. In awakening it opens on a 5k combo (midscreen and corner)

You'll want to find counter hits on 5A or 5B to open good combos. 5A CH > 2B link and launch. As well as 5B FC > 2B.

She's hard to play, her persona takes every blow possible and breaks easily. Fortunatly she can defend herself when the persona is broken, but she's useless without it.

Her 2B is bad, like real bad. It's slow, doesn't hit really high. Doesn't prevent cross ups.

You can cover every unsafe move with a persona attack at the same time, as she can move her persona at every moment except during your opponent pressings or combos.

Thanks, this'll come in handy when we start doing more thorough testing. I'm not going to add it to the guide or wiki, since we don't know if it's all correct, but it's a good start.

I'm going to be updating the video thread Wednesday when I'm back in TN guys, I had to go with my parents to WV and I didn't have access to a computer fast enough to do it.

We've only got a few hours left until we've got Persona in our hands, so get hype!

Woo~ Back from the persona 4 release party.

I'm pretty sure all of Asterius' moves have guardpoint if not from the start then from very early. However, with the exception of 8C, blocking makes him stop moving.

There was a tourney at the event (36 entrants), managed to get top 8 with my day 1 shadow lab; I think I was the only day 1 player in top 8, but if I wasn't none one else made it past that point for sure. Never dropped a match all day against any other day 1 players...

I'm totally sold on this character, lol. She's so FUN. But, she has issues getting out of pressure, it feels... It feel like there's so little you can do, you can't even reversal DP super cancel to safety like a bunch of other characters can 'cause Titanomachia can't seem to be used if Asterius is still offscreen. And her DP also has very little vertical range... But, it does punish a lot of stuff from a surprising distance. Feels like Anji's S Fuujin. It's kinda a bad reversal, but it punishes a lot of things.

---

Also, what's up? I haven't really posted here before, but I'm mega hype for this character. She's like Carl, minus everything I hated about playing Carl, and in a game that's actually fun, lol.

SNIP

I don't know what you are using but your values are way off. Your SP Gain values should be more defined doing the move multiple times then dividing by the number of times done. 5A for instance is a ~2.7% SP Gain. Your frame data is way off the mark. Don't know what capture card and software you are using but it's no where near accurate. Her 5A is ~7f, 2A ~7f, 5B ~15f, 2B ~25f. Her throw is 5f like the rest of the cast. I'm going to take a wild guess that you are recording at 29.97 fps. If you are going to assist in frame data you need to be doing it at 60.00 fps. :3

Edit:

I don't want all her blockstrings to safe. I guess what im asking is does she have one move that is +1 or even 0 on block?

Well it can't be that bad if there 3 Shadow labrys in SBO.

Elizabeth is pretty strong. More than likely stronger then Shadow Labrys and there is only one that qualified for SBO. She has low damage and really good mix up. She could be bad compared to most of the cast but 3 being at SBO doesnt mean that she is a good character. Tbh I dont think she is all that great, shes better then normal Labrys imo but normal Labrys has better damage. And I doubt she has any normals that are plus, its just safe.

I'm sure this isn't exactly big new but the main thing I noticed is that there's a huge amount of situations where you can make it a really bad idea for the opponent to try to do much of anything about your pressure, even with weak day 1 pressure (and quite clearly holding up at higher levels). Pretty much universally you can get more from baiting a DP than they can get from DPing you, and when Asterius enters the picture, yeah. Basically what it means is that you don't get the normal pet character "wow my pressure is completely free" bs that makes some characters so good, but she has more than enough to work to make her offense really scary. But yes, no normals that are plus on block.

Edit: secondarily, IAD j.B crossups are very easy to time and get you quite a bit.