Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Urichinan

[P4A] Shadow Labrys - Gameplay Discussion

Thoughts on opening up a round with DP + Asterius cover? I've seen it done a few times

Ive done this quite a bit lol. I find that start of the match is not the place for it though. If the opponent is near the corner I'll do 5C DP. If they don't know the match up they usually eat CH 5C then you can go for easy corner combo. If they know the match up though this tactic doesn't really work.

Aigis players that like to start a round with 2B into orgia get a rude awakening when they thought that the bullets would stop an approach, add laser or 2C and you can convert to a combo or start your pressure.

Same thing to note in Akihiko players that try to break your persona with C moves, reaction DP when Ceasar shows up to protect Asterius and likely get the CH wall bounce.

Relax, take it easy~

I don't mind seeing material of Shabrys, even if recycled or stolen as you say, just because they give me more ideas to adapt it in my gameplay.

I've been working like crazy lately (crunch time on a project = 12 hour days + 1.5 hour unpaid mandatory breaks + 1.5 hour commute = no videogames and less sleep. I'm actually posting this during my dinner break at work), so I haven't been playing in the last few weeks, but I'd be all over this given the time. Looking for new stuff is what I love to do most.

I actually thought a bit about Slayer jump canceling his dashes into specials the other day and wanted to see if Slab could do something similar with her IK stance, since it seems to screen freeze and leave her with time to do stuff (Like you can safely 2AB > IK at the cost of good oki). If you could FC 2B > 8222AB, you'd probably have enough time to keep the combo going, which means you can corner push > OMB > IK. It'd be nice having an IK setup out of a poke without prior commitment, even if it's still situational (having OMB and 100%).

While I haven't played with her much, I feel like her IK stuff is going to be stupidly good. I can't fathom why they'd let her combo into it. It really seems like something that wouldn't be intentional. Can any other character combo into IK? I'm constantly wanting to see what I can catch people out of with IK. Does CH j.BB have untechable wallbounce, or just extra stun? I forget. More importantly, if we can find a consistent set-up for the IK throw that doesn't require OMB or Awakening, that frees up using Gold Burst to go for silly IK wins in 3 seconds like May can do with her ****ing 6P > stun.

As for recycled material... I used to get annoyed a bit too, but not everyone enjoys trying to figure things out. With a game this accessible, we're going to have many people in the community that want to watch what other people have done and practice that, as if that will set them apart, or even because they don't really care to be "that good". If a second and third person re post the same content, at least they're sharing the knowledge with more people that might not have seen the original posting, though it's definitely stupid if someone doesn't do any research ahead of time and posts the 100th instance of "new technique Slab can break your guard by hitting high/low". By this point, yeah, it's stupid that more people haven't been looking, but maybe there are people out there that know and just don't say anything. I saw a lot of that in the Smash community, back when I cared about that game. From a competitive perspective I disagree with doing that, but from a "I want the prize money" perspective, I understand it.

So... it's a glitch/bug, and not an exploit of stuff that even scrubs would consider legitimate?

Something rogue mentioned awhile ago gave me a cool idea, gets about 6.7k really easily off of ch 5B with 150%. I'll make a video when my setup isn't being taken up by these people near me, lol...

Edit many hours later: Well, here.

rogue previously showed off the BI A to laser thing, but the version I saw had spacing issues holding it back. These three variants easily cover (almost?) all potential spacing between them.

And here's something else cool! This combo is a very simple way to get the 8C 214B do-i-or-do-i-not-cross-under setup, which I particularly like. It's cool enough on its own but it's expecially good for "More setups = more power" Shabrys. The combo at the end is just something I think is snazzy, crossing under before using j.214B so the buffalo hammer hits them in the opposite direction you start running, building enough distance for 214214B to connect.

What's the general consensus on 214C+D usage? I've been playing with using it for oki in crossup 5C combos (5C 2B jB dj jA j214B 214C+D as you start falling). Jump over the opponent with jB as soon as you recover (delay the jB a bit to tag crouchers). Depending on how you time things, you get three results here if the opponent takes the setup:

jB hits first: gives you a nice float and allows you to pickup after landing from jB with rejump, jB dj jA j214A; 1.8~1.9k, or 2.5k with 236236C finisher. If you're positioned so that the opponent's close to the corner after the bounce (with you outside of the corner), you can do rejump jBB jump forward j214B~5C (5C hits) 214214A for 3.3k.

jB hits simultaneously with Hammer: you get 3 hits (Hammer, jB, earthquake from Hammer) + knockdown for 2.1k

Hammer hits first: you get jack, really; jB ruins the bounce so that all you can follow up with is like...5AA; gets about 2k with just Hammer+jB.

jB hitting first is obviously the most ideal of those. If you just go for a cross up/they block jB and eat the Hammer, the damage goes up by a fair chunk; just as an example, the corner combo ends up doing just under 4k.

The greatest flaw here is that there's a small gap since you want the Hammer to be delayed to coincide with a jB. But if your opponent starts trying to escape early, you can input Hammer early enough to make it meaty. You should also be able to block anything that can be jump blocked if your opponent starts pushing buttons, and Hammer won't get stuffed by anything short of a super.

Sorry if I'm reinventing the wheel here; just picked up SLabrys a week ago and have been experimenting with her many options. I don't think I remember seeing this in any of the videos I've seen though.

214 CD is really good in the corner on knockdown and is used personally in these two situations:

1) An opponent that doesn't respect wakeup and likes to dp or press buttons. Simply empty jump and block just outside of throw range, if they press buttons, they get hammered. If they try to throw you, it'll whiff and they get hammered. If they jump, they will get 2B'd and put back into knockdown. If they evasive action, they'll get thrown. If they do super, you can block...or do BI A if awakened to punish it.

2) An opponent that does respect your oki and tries to block or react to you. If they won't (or don't have a suitable) do anything you can do the unblockable setup back into knockdown. If they try to evasive action, throw. If they will dp your jump, double jump to bait it.

Its a really strong oki since once its out people will be very cautious since unless they super or hit you it will finish and the EX ground bounces so it can become good damage into knockdown.

Not relevant to gameplay

<snip>

But relevant to my heart

Saving because it's obviously relevant to all our hearts. <3

214A is actually -7. It's still safe on block against most people due to it stepping back, but critically it's not safe against Mitsuru.

I have to give a shout-out to that Adelheid tech you showed with the 8C 214B mixup.

I was in the Xanadu monthly this weekend and used that mixup as a reset mid Tetrichondria, effectively of a 2B FC I did two variations...one with only 50 meter and another for 150, the 50 meter reset pretty much was 4.5 or 5K since a raw 5C into the finisher didn't scale to its minimum 1050 damage...The other off the reset went 5C into BI A...Finisher...into a second Tetrichondria (no inputs).

Until people learn more about this character this might be worth looking into further since you can decide whether or not they'll end up behind you. The best part is though is pretty much no dp will stop Asterius so you can just block and if they try a dp they'll get hit by 5C or get hit by the finisher regardless.

Of course to be honest I did it spur of the moment in tournament but people had no clue how they ended up behind S.Lab of wakeup and ate the 5C...but since it worked and is a powerful reset even with only 50 meter I'm going to work it into my game some more.

is the video thread updated and/or is there an updated list of top slab players somewhere? l dunno which lab to play and usually the vid threads are starving for more videos.

is the video thread updated and/or is there an updated list of top slab players somewhere? l dunno which lab to play and usually the vid threads are starving for more videos.

Well since u play elizabeth i recommend you play Shadow labrys just since she is good against zoners and isnt too terrible against the rest of the cast.

Regular labrys isnt that bad but you will have a more uphill battle and she doesnt have a good match-up at all. i play both lab since i have the same issue

I think the vid thread names 3 slabrys players who are really good. the vids are a few months old i think though.

@tectaleastside thanks. l wasn't really looking for MU coverage, just appeal, although i'll probably go with slab XD.

Not to mention you're also a Rachel player, so I bet you'd enjoy the oki set-ups a ton.

truuuuue....

I found out today that Shadow Labrys can actually combo off her Guard Cancel using 2C. Lol

You get almost no damage from it, but it's nice to be able to do.

6A+B > 2C > j.B > dj.A > j.214A > Oki does around 700 damage. I'm trying to see if she can do Titan after it, I highly doubt it's possible though.

The best thing about this is that it lets you preform her oki setups after a GA.

Not sure if this has been noted, but was testing a few things with a friend, and Slab can't chain any two moves together safely without the possibility of getting dp'ed. And if the first hit of g.axe is instant blocked, Teddie (and i assume everyone else) can punish the second hit with a dp. Suppose that isn't so bad though, considering how many holes Asterius can fill...

I found out today that Shadow Labrys can actually combo off her Guard Cancel using 2C. Lol

You get almost no damage from it, but it's nice to be able to do.

6A+B > 2C > j.B > dj.A > j.214A > Oki does around 700 damage. I'm trying to see if she can do Titan after it, I highly doubt it's possible though.

The best thing about this is that it lets you preform her oki setups after a GA.

You can set up Titanomachia, but afaik you can't actually combo into the actual super itself off GC starter (unless you use OMB, then you can do whatever). But even with OMB, the proration and hitstun is so bad, the best you could really do is OMB > raw Titanomachia super. If you try to combo into 5C > Titan your opponent will tech before the Tiatanomachia super (the ender I mean) hits. But yeah, GC's into 2C have been used for a while now. :x

Oh hey, it's 7th Fonon

I'm always afraid of getting baited when guard cancelling. I never want to go for it unless I have 100% for OMC outside of matchup-specific situations. Just feels like it's usually not worth taking the unnecessary risk.