Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Skye

[P4A] Akihiko Gameplay Discussion

Finally got around to uploading all of my personal Akihiko notes on Google Docs. Haven't really played in a while, but hopefully this helps somebody. Warning: my own notes so it might be hard to read, unorganized, etc. created before frame data came out, so the specific frame data might be off too.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/14UxlY4laQb90btFA-UPcoLw-hrPerB5cy3HooaYs2-E/edit?usp=sharing

That's a great read, thank you.

43 mins of online Kubo stuff from February for all you dweebs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfSTXD1CKW4&t=36m40s
Here is some more as well. Pay careful attention to this Akihiko's blockstrings...He makes good use of C weave and duck to continue pressure, cancelled from the big frame advantage of 5B (1 hit).

I also suggest y'all to subscribe to BanchouJP and MrTSUTAYA, as they upload P4A stuff that no other channel has.

Bout 3k from a 5b > j.b loop, probably up to 4/5k with meter.

That's what I get.

You mean his 214a/b?

Start up is basically instant, but the countering isn't active until the 4th frame on. Will activate if it catches anything except lows, throws and unblockables(?).

EX version catches lows.

The differing versions on differ in active frames, they all become active on frame 4.

Parry does indeed counter unblockables which is gdlk.

And posted this a while ago with no response so here it is again! Is there any reason the wiki doesn't have this extra info that was released pre-mook?http://www.dustloop.com/forums/showthread.php?14480-P4A-Akihiko-Combo-Gameplay-Discussion-Thread/page7&p=1378162&viewfull=1#post1378162

It's all accurate and kind of important stuff, like 5B being a level 5 attack but having different hitstun values for both hits, and the cancel-able frames for Weave/Duck.

Lmfao thanks guys. Also, what's the blockstun of 5B(1st hit)? Is it just the same block stun for all hits but different hit stun for each hit? Reason why I'm asking is because I was wondering which has the bigger frame hole between these block strings:

5B(1 hit) > C Duck

and

5B(2 hit) > C Duck.

I'll be sure to fit the data in when I can.

Since 5B is a level 5 attack it fits under the standard 18F block-stun for both hits. However the attack level does not apply to the hit-stun, which is 22F/18F respectively. So both options are actually equivalent in terms of the frame gap. And when you add A Hook after Duck which is cancellable at its 10th frame, you get a 5F frame-trap :eng101: (even though it still loses to 5F normals, throws, and Mitsuru's sweep :()

And thanks Skye!

Yo, Moke is a beast! I never knew you could let go of 5D after holding it, and still have it run as long as you would by just pressing 5D. Thought holding 5D was useless, guess not LOL. Holy shit, he does IAD j.5B loops to swag out!

I'm curious. What are some character specific block strings that Akihiko can sway or duck during to avoid a mix up & how actually do I parry after Thanatos does his burst?

In the most practical uses, only really Narumaki and Liz. And calling Narukami's practical is kind of stretching it, you can Duck/Weave any blockstring into 5C as long as you IB the hit prior to 5C, aside from any RC'd blockstrings with an attack level of 4+. This is nice but using it in a match is pretty hard, at least from the times I've been trying to incorporate it. I've been having some luck with D Duck through 2C when you IB stuff > 2C but I haven't tested that fully.

And for Liz it's pretty common stuff, Duck/Weave through 5B/j.B. So in her blockstrings any gatling into 5B can be Duck/Weaved, but for 5AA > 5B you must IB 5AA. With her 2B > j.B it should be free every time imo, but I still have yet to utilize it properly. You can simply 2B her if you're close enough but at the correct spacing it whiffs, so when she does 2B > j.B you can Duck/Weave. The OS against Thanatos mix up is A > Parry. If it doesn't 2C you break it with A and if it does you get Parry afterwards then you Hook > Weave/Duck, though it isn't exactly the strongest OS because it gets blown up by RC, A, and sweep. Also if it doesn't 2C and you A > Parry, your recovery can be punished. At farther spacing where Liz can't sweep to punish Duck/Weave it's not bad but is still susceptible to RC > 5C etc.

In the most practical uses, only really Narumaki and Liz. And calling Narukami's practical is kind of stretching it, you can Duck/Weave any blockstring into 5C as long as you IB the hit prior to 5C, aside from any RC'd blockstrings with an attack level of 4+. This is nice but using it in a match is pretty hard, at least from the times I've been trying to incorporate it. I've been having some luck with D Duck through 2C when you IB stuff > 2C but I haven't tested that fully.

And for Liz it's pretty common stuff, Duck/Weave through 5B/j.B. So in her blockstrings any gatling into 5B can be Duck/Weaved, but for 5AA > 5B you must IB 5AA. With her 2B > j.B it should be free every time imo, but I still have yet to utilize it properly. You can simply 2B her if you're close enough but at the correct spacing it whiffs, so when she does 2B > j.B you can Duck/Weave. The OS against Thanatos mix up is A > Parry. If it doesn't 2C you break it with A and if it does you get Parry afterwards then you Hook > Weave/Duck, though it isn't exactly the strongest OS because it gets blown up by RC, A, and sweep. Also if it doesn't 2C and you A > Parry, your recovery can be punished. At farther spacing where Liz can't sweep to punish Duck/Weave it's not bad but is still susceptible to RC > 5C etc.

Thank you, overlord Alpha. With this knowledge I can make the Liz/Yu match up a little easier on myself. I can't believe I never thought of ducking j.B. I feel so foolish...

Akihiko can duck under all of Narukami's standing normals, including 5a, but except 5d. lol

5c > 2c is a 2 frame gap, so you have to IB it to Duck under it.

Hey everyone, new to the P4 scene, but really enjoying the game. Hoping to learn a whole bunch from everyone. Also Akihiko is amazing.

5C > 2C is actually a 3F gap, so you get 1 extra frame to react! :v:

Anyways thanks Skye, I got around to testing it and you can actually C Duck without IB. However you cannot Weave because the hurtbox isn't low enough to avoid 2C; it does work at max range but since C Duck works at any spacing there's no reason to use it. The same reason also applies to D Duck because his hurtbox doesn't become low enough before 2C hits. On IB both C/D Duck works.

Max j.B loop is usually 1 to 2 without fatal counter. You can do 4 with a counter 2B anti-air. Generally, you want to do it once you hit the peak of Akihiko's jump, and you want the opponent to be high enough in the air. When you do a fatal counter, you can go a bit beyond the peak of Aki's jump to make things easier.

I'd need some specifics though...which specific combo is hard for you? There are so many scenarios where you have to decide whether the j.5B loop will work or not, so, you have to get a feel with a bunch of combo situations.

Thanks for the reply.

I'll go for something simple for now.

5B > B Kill Rush > B+D > 5B > j.B > 5B > j.B > 5AA > 2A+B > A Kill Rush.

Or is there an easier setup to practice the loop?

That is very hard if not impossible due to 5b's SMP.

Try it off of CH 5c dash cancel.

5b > j.b > 5b > j.b > 5aa > 2a+b > 236a => 6d => 6a