Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A.X.I.S.

[P4A] Kanji Tatsumi Q&A Thread

But it is a complete gimmick. There's no way to mix it up. It is not something you can condition because of that. Every time they are hit it is a misplay, and we shouldn't hand out gimmicks that are beatable on reaction as if they are good advice.

It beats jumps and if they try to duck too late it grabs them, the reason why it works for me is because people are standing up to block the chair and even then I sometimes let it rip, now when they start DPing it I just have to stop doing it.

It's a ok gimmick but I am the only one that likes to just abuse it.

This may be a noobish question but, I am having a bit of trouble with one of Kanji's most basic combos. Usually the combo can be like:

5AA>5B>2B...etc. or 236AB>5AA>5B>2B...etc. and so on and so forth.

What I have trouble is connecting literally anything to 2B. I realize it's a slow attack but it always gets blocked. Now, I'm not sure if this is because I normally use Yosuke as my main and his attacks are obviously a lot faster and input needs to be a lot quicker than most characters, so maybe the change from him to Kanji could be a result? But it just seems that the timing for linking a move into Kanji's 2B is very strict. I've tried for at least a good hour different methods and varying speeds upon when to attempt and execute the move but it never connects and it gets blocked.

So, sorry if this is very noobish, but I literally just picked up the game yesterday. I appreciate the help, if any is given.

It beats jumps and if they try to duck too late it grabs them, the reason why it works for me is because people are standing up to block the chair and even then I sometimes let it rip, now when they start DPing it I just have to stop doing it.

It's a ok gimmick but I am the only one that likes to just abuse it.

That's called a misplay. There's no reason to stand block a chair. Heck there's no reason not to DP when you see someone do a chair dive on reaction. It is slow and vulnerable.

And while this is one of those many cute things that works because people don't know what they are doing yet, it does not constitute good advice.

@other people Kanji's 2B is Terrible. It is crazy slow and the hitbox would be good in any game besides this, because a lot of characters have great normals. In grounded combos 5B>2B only works on crouching and only if you cancel it really fast. In the air they need to be high enough to not touch the ground before 2B hits and you still have to cancel super fast.

@Osuna

I got thrown out of the middle of a 2b by Yu, blew my mind. The chair covers a pretty large range visually on screen at least and this guy just walks up to me during it and grabs me out of it. I've been throwing it out for predictable jump ins just to practice the counter hit combo I spent time learning.

- What OMB combos do you guys usually end up using or find most useful? Are they best for making non FC combos damaging or are they still good in FC combos? I'm gonna learn a few tomorrow(Day 3 of Kanji). I still need to practice a few FC combos but I feel like there are times when I hit combos that I could kill but only have lets say, 50 meter which seems to only add a few hundred damage if you cancel and ender into a 2c 2b 236c 236a followup for example.

- When someone is rolling on wakeup what are good ways to catch this? I know command grabbing as a meaty on wakeup can catch it during its initial frames but is it possible to punish without them being able to DP from it after they roll through you? For instance if I do a 5A for oki to catch jumps and apply pressure but he rolls and my 5A whiffs do I have enough time to recover from the move to punish the roll legitimately or do I need to bait the roll entirely? I feel like once they roll through I have a hard time catching them from jumping away.

That's called a misplay. There's no reason to stand block a chair. Heck there's no reason not to DP when you see someone do a chair dive on reaction. It is slow and vulnerable.

And while this is one of those many cute things that works because people don't know what they are doing yet, it does not constitute good advice.

@other people Kanji's 2B is Terrible. It is crazy slow and the hitbox would be good in any game besides this, because a lot of characters have great normals. In grounded combos 5B>2B only works on crouching and only if you cancel it really fast. In the air they need to be high enough to not touch the ground before 2B hits and you still have to cancel super fast.

1. If your opponent was trying to jump or short hop during a block string its a free catch, sadly it's more of a yomi thing.

It's still nice to put the idea of you being able to do that in your opponents head. (You can just 5AA to catch a jump out.)

2. I never gave it out as advice I just said why I do it, hell I wouldn't suggest it to anyone, just do what makes you feel right.

3. I could have swore 5B>2B works on fatal.

FC 2C>5B>2B works.

I admit I am not used to using Kanji's 2B yet so I usually R-action jump in's.

I am trying to get used to 2B by using it and getting blown up for it.

1. If your opponent was trying to jump or short hop during a block string its a free catch, sadly it's more of a yomi thing.

It's still nice to put the idea of you being able to do that in your opponents head. (You can just 5AA to catch a jump out.)

2. I never gave it out as advice I just said why I do it, hell I wouldn't suggest it to anyone, just do what makes you feel right.

3. I could have swore 5B>2B works on fatal.

FC 2C>5B>2B works.

I admit I am not used to using Kanji's 2B yet so I usually R-action jump in's.

I am trying to get used to 2B by using it and getting blown up for it.

Fatal of course works as a matter of math, I didn't mean to imply anything by not saying so.

I don't think talking about why you do it was particularly relevant to the discussion since we were talking about a specific situation and whether or not it constitutes advice. You contribution could be very misleading in that context.

As a fellow person trying to get used to anti airing properly, 236C is a lot faster. If it would work (as in not totally whiff) definitely try doing 236C over 2B which is so slow that you have to commit to a full swing Very early and risk getting wrecked by the many many air options people get.

I don't think doing what makes you feel right is the kind of thing you tell someone who asks how to improve their play.

EDIT: Though I have had some success with 2B versus some airdashes and similar situations with more limited air options for the opponent. The damage we can get off of CH 2B is at least pretty nice.

So I generally take it that, ideally, you shouldn't combo into 2B, but rather use 2B as either an anti-air or go from 2B>236C/D as I've seen in videos. I remember that even one of the challenges has you go 236AB>5AA>2B... and so on. I just don't find that doing it is useful since the strict timing may be a risk.

So I generally take it that, ideally, you shouldn't combo into 2B, but rather use 2B as either an anti-air or go from 2B>236C/D as I've seen in videos. I remember that even one of the challenges has you go 236AB>5AA>2B... and so on. I just don't find that doing it is useful since the strict timing may be a risk.
Most of your better combo options will involve comboing into 2B. It's not really that hard to do, though 2B is really really slow.

This game has buffer time and in a combo you have the advantage of knowing in advance when you're going to have to press the button. Also on crouching, like in the example combo you brought up, getting to 5B>2B is extra damage and sp worth taking.

With further practice I realized that certain moves forces the opponent into a crouching state where you can continue the combo with 2B, like 236AB. What I was trying to do was 5AA>2B on a standing opponent which doesn't really work for me. Watching tutorials has helped me immensely and I can finally combo into 2B and continue from there. Like 236AB>5AA>5B>2B>236C>236A/B and whatever else there is.

I was confused with 5AA>2B with a standing opponent as "strict timing" but I guess certain moves don't necessarily connect as easily as others. Also, yes, 2B IS very slow.

So @Circuitous, I wasn't being lazy, I just wasn't combo'ing right. :sweatdrop:

And thanks @Osuna for your help as well. I'll definitely keep in mind your advice.

I was confused with 5AA>2B with a standing opponent as "strict timing" but I guess certain moves don't necessarily connect as easily as others. Also, yes, 2B IS very slow.

5AA>2B only works on crouching opponents, unfortunately.

I was wondering how to properly time the delayed 236B at the end of combo's. Whenever I try it I seem to eat a full combo after the cruel attack. :(

But, whenever I see someone else do it they seem to get a lot better pressure.

Am I doing something wrong? or is this a guess of sorts?

I was wondering how to properly time the delayed 236B at the end of combo's. Whenever I try it I seem to eat a full combo after the cruel attack. :(

But, whenever I see someone else do it they seem to get a lot better pressure.

Am I doing something wrong? or is this a guess of sorts?

Is the cruel attack not connecting at all? Or does it connect but do you eat the full combo once your opponent recovers ?

ProudDisciple on XBL and PSN

www.youtube.com/user/ProudDisciple

Is there an actual point in not doing the cruel attack follow up mid screen and doing the walk back lightening instead? You can't command grab from lightening and I feel that the high low mixup isn't as scary as the grab/5aa/block mixup.

Actually, if you time it right you can commandgrab immediately after the 4th lightning hit and it catches a lot of people by surprise. Its tight, but you can do it, cuz they can't be in blockstun and stuff. The lightning just keeps them from doing some kind of scrubby shit, like wake up dp/super whatever and forces them to block and take the mix-up. I personally don't use it too often but it is legit.

Is there an actual point in not doing the cruel attack follow up mid screen and doing the walk back lightening instead? You can't command grab from lightening and I feel that the high low mixup isn't as scary as the grab/5aa/block mixup.

Its part of the mixup. Ill sometimes delay cruel attack to make it whiff and command grab/anti air grab depending on their tendencies. As far as lightning sometimes ill try and use it to space my 5C properly or run up and do nothing to bait them.

ProudDisciple on XBL and PSN

www.youtube.com/user/ProudDisciple

It isn't as scary but it can be a Lot safer and resets the mix up if you're successful. It would be a lot better if Kanji could do a half decent combo off of lows, but we need to wait for the 4th game to get that.

I don't know if anyone else has done this by accident, but I found a way to run backwards. I was messing around with the air-turn into a backwards leaping j.214a/b. I noticed that after I landed from the j.214a/b I could begin to do his forward run animation while running away from the opponent. My question is, is this some kind of silly glitch or is there some use to it? It reminds me of valkenhayn's backwards run in wolf form in the way it looks. Does this incur a negative penalty if you run away from them for too long or because you're technically doing a forward run does it not count as turtling up? I'm heading out of my house soon or I would check myself.

I don't know if anyone else has done this by accident, but I found a way to run backwards. I was messing around with the air-turn into a backwards leaping j.214a/b. I noticed that after I landed from the j.214a/b I could begin to do his forward run animation while running away from the opponent. My question is, is this some kind of silly glitch or is there some use to it? It reminds me of valkenhayn's backwards run in wolf form in the way it looks. Does this incur a negative penalty if you run away from them for too long or because you're technically doing a forward run does it not count as turtling up? I'm heading out of my house soon or I would check myself.
I can't test right now, but anything you do immediately after a whiffed k.214a/b/ab will be facing whatever direction you dived in, so be careful what you do after crossing someone up so that it doesn't get you in trouble.

It's pretty much guess work from my experience.

You do have enough time to go for non CH since you don't press 5C immediately on CH.

I've been using kanji for a while now and recently started yearning for my advanced tech. I already know how to play his matchups, use his combos, and basic grab gimmicks. Now could anyone just tell me about some resets, tech traps etc.?