Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A.X.I.S.

[P4A] Kanji Tatsumi Critique Thread "You are not doing it right!"

Main_Header_Critique_Thread.png

Thread made for critiquing each other.

Enjoy talking about how good or bad we play.

1. Learn combos, go into the combo thread and hit practice mode...really hard.

You didn't bait teddy'ys R-action.

Never R-action teddy's ever never ever, you lose health and you don't get a punish, worse if he didn't press buttons you lose.

Don't use j.214A/B the way you do, you either use it to get away or to surprise jump someone, never to herpaderp unless it's EX.

Next up you never punished his wake up mash with command grab.

Did you even do challenge mode?

1. Learn combos, go into the combo thread and hit practice mode...really hard.

You didn't bait teddy'ys R-action.

Never R-action teddy's ever never ever, you lose health and you don't get a punish, worse if he didn't press buttons you lose.

Don't use j.214A/B the way you do, you either use it to get away or to surprise jump someone, never to herpaderp unless it's EX.

Next up you never punished his wake up mash with command grab.

Did you even do challenge mode?

Uh yeah I did do challenge mode rofl. Anyways I just kept doing these kinda things cause I always come out on top when i'm doing it. But do you have any videos of you I can see?

No videos yet, we could have recorded but we didn't, I also don't play ranked.

I play player rooms on occasion but Kanji mirrors are zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Here's a live stream I was in earlier. The match in question starts at 5:46:30. Any advice would help, thanks!

http://www.twitch.tv/peacefuljay/b/328186979

Now obviously I screwed up badly on that Instant Kill attempt at the end of round 3, I basically killed myself lol. Also after watching it again I noticed that I tried too much to connect with the furious action there in round 2. Also, is it wise to go for that command grab right when they get up sometimes? Finally, what is a reliable way to combo into his 2B? Most of the time I bash it out anyway after an A or two but whenever it connects it's more often because it caught them off guard then it is because it was an actual combo. Thanks for the help and any advice you can offer to help me better my game!

Here's a live stream I was in earlier. The match in question starts at 5:46:30. Any advice would help, thanks!

Now obviously I screwed up badly on that Instant Kill attempt at the end of round 3, I basically killed myself lol. Also after watching it again I noticed that I tried too much to connect with the furious action there in round 2. Also, is it wise to go for that command grab right when they get up sometimes? Finally, what is a reliable way to combo into his 2B? Most of the time I bash it out anyway after an A or two but whenever it connects it's more often because it caught them off guard then it is because it was an actual combo. Thanks for the help and any advice you can offer to help me better my game!

Before you ever consider a command grab, you need to know how they react on wake up. If they mash on wake up, use the D version of the command grab (I never use the quick command grab, unless I hit someone with 5B). If they DP, you can time 5C to get Fatal Counter (harder against some characters, you can figure out the proper timing by going into training mode). You have to read your opponent during the match to get a better idea. Bad players DP, decent players will use 5A or 2A, and better players use a combination of both, quick escape, and throw on wake up.

As for 2B, I was throwing it out like crazy in the beginning, but I only use it during FC combos now. I found it to be a bad habit to use it randomly during a match.

That's my 2 cents anyway. A.X.I.S. is more qualified to answer most of this stuff than I am, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Before I start I want to say this: I named this thread purposely to because I know I will see a lot of week 1 play.

I love you guys so I am not mad.

First off you didn't really do anything to keep yourself at risk.

You didn't check the Lab for the jumping when you had meter, you didn't punish R action with 5C.

You ate unnecessary hits and worse you wasted all your meter on a failed instant kill.

I know it's week one but if your going in on this game then learn some basic combos.

Before I start I want to say this: I named this thread purposely to because I know I will see a lot of week 1 play.

I love you guys so I am not mad.

First off you didn't really do anything to keep yourself at risk.

You didn't check the Lab for the jumping when you had meter, you didn't punish R action with 5C.

You ate unnecessary hits and worse you wasted all your meter on a failed instant kill.

I know it's week one but if your going in on this game then learn some basic combos.

how about a small "noob guide" for new players that start with kanji.

basic BnB / Punish Combos in particular against all Reversals, how to approach in general and deal with zoning, not to abuse j 214C etc

I actually am considering that since I can't translate the jp guide, I know someone is planning on doing it.

I was gonna put it in a PDF and just post it but I guess I can leave it on the forums.

Thanks for the advice, I've never played a grappler before and making the transition from largely rushdown characters like Bang and Yosuke is a little hard. I honestly have no idea what I was thinking with that Instant Kill attempt. I guess because I was in a live stream I felt like showing off lol. Honestly, I'm surprised the match was as close as it was. I suppose I owe that to Kanji's insane damage output.

Thanks for the advice, I've never played a grappler before and making the transition from largely rushdown characters like Bang and Yosuke is a little hard. I honestly have no idea what I was thinking with that Instant Kill attempt. I guess because I was in a live stream I felt like showing off lol. Honestly, I'm surprised the match was as close as it was. I suppose I owe that to Kanji's insane damage output.

I done some dumb things when I started playing P4A for the first time. Since your learning Kanji, do your best to keep you bad habits to a minimum. I've played in over 100 matches, and i'm still doing stupid things (Like trying IK's, or spamming j.214A/B) but its not nearly as often as before. That's due to Training mode and online experience.

Since newer players are showing their gameplay, my scrubby ass should show some of mine.

Kanji Mirror match! So hype!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trZ1_V1y4P0

D command grab beats super, It's a shame he didn't know that.

Beating a absolutely horrible Chie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DW0U6UURp4Y

This video is just showing the FC combo I use. It's very simple to do, and does respectable damage. I'm still working on my other FC combos in training mode, having trouble with the execution.

My match against Akihiko

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqTQ9rU7E7M

I lost to the same guy twice before this match. He was the first Akihiko that I played that knew he had a C attack he could use. The first round was a mirror of my previous matches with this guy, throwing out 5C when he was too close and eating one too many j.C and 5.C shots from Caesar. Lets just say I was fortunate that I won, but I need to check out some stuff with Aki in training mode.

My match against Yukiko

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_sXBMJb7r8

I lost to this guy in a previous match, due to the Super-Fire Break into another super. This time around, I had enough meter to punish him with j.214SB.

Edit: I just realized I could have punished her with j.C to get FC (around the 30 second mark). I opted for j.214SB instead.

In all of these matches, you'll see that I don't follow up a command grab with anything. I'm still having problems getting Cruel Attack to come out. Its probably a timing issue.

Let me know if there is anything I need to work on.

hey guys, i'm having trouble doing standing A, A, down B, i see alot of japanese players do it but i can't seem to connect down B, did the patch nerfed it

hey guys, i'm having trouble doing standing A, A, down B, i see alot of japanese players do it but i can't seem to connect down B, did the patch nerfed it

That combo only works on a crouching opponent.

http://youtu.be/Hhmii6U_eBA

Here's a Kanji mirror. I'm in white. I forget who said it, but they were right: Kanji mirror match is ZZZzzzzZZZZ...

What I gather from watching this video:

I'll do the same thing over and over again until you prove to me that it won't work.

I don't use C effectively enough.

I'm overconfident throwing out 214214C (I prob should have gotten countered at the end).

I need to use better combos.

I assume 5B is safe oki - no idea if it is. I've been getting punished by Yu & Mitsu's B+D, so I hit it early to try to bait it.

I have to hit confirm 5B on counters (to use -CH 5B>2B>236C>236A/B instead of 5B>214C all the time)

Any other tips? I have a vs Teddy match online too. It was the first time I ever faced Teddy...

This thread is exactly what I've been looking! Been uploading some p4a vids for the last week or so and would appreciate some feedback. Here's the most recent couple of player matches I've got vs a chie player. I eventually adapt and do a lot better by the end of the video.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tcJB-ocrMV8

ProudDisciple on XBL and PSN

Some of your decisions at neutral are a little wild (random AoA?). You need to confirm better off of your hits, and stop panicking and throwing out wild DPs/214214Cs. The biggest thing that stood out to me though is that after you got knockdown, you played scared and didn't put Chie into RPS. You can't do that with Kanji and expect to succeed.

This match was awful. In the 2nd round, it was clear that he was fishing for j.214Bs, I would have just chilled and waited for the CH 2B. That wakeup 214D you did was a risky decision, the only thing it will beat is 5A/5B and command throw, but wakeup DP does that too. If he had done walk up DP instead, he would have beaten your 214D.

The Kanji mirror isn't boring, it's just stupid. It's just RPS from both sides aside from mid-range neutral game.

Some of your decisions at neutral are a little wild (random AoA?). You need to confirm better off of your hits, and stop panicking and throwing out wild DPs/214214Cs. The biggest thing that stood out to me though is that after you got knockdown, you played scared and didn't put Chie into RPS. You can't do that with Kanji and expect to succeed.

I assume those AoAs were to test its range or try and catch chie coming in. My confirms leave a lot to be desired I will agree. I'm sorry what's RPS?

I assume those AoAs were to test its range or try and catch chie coming in. My confirms leave a lot to be desired I will agree. I'm sorry what's RPS?

RPS = Rock/Paper/Scissors. Once Kanji (or any good grappler) knocks you down, they force you to guess what you're going to do next in order to escape it.

I don't recommend using AoA to confront a Chie approach.

Thanks for the info! Do you think I somewhat improved on my decisions over the course of the games or do you feel he got sloopy?

I felt that your decision making was getting better, however, I also feel that the Chie player was giving you way too much respect. I'm also not sure how well the Chie player knew the match-up, Chie can just do double DP on wakeup to beat 214D. Also, the chair super is unsafe without an OMC, which Chie didn't punish. You were playing less scared later though, which is good.

Here is a video of my kanji vs akihiko, these scrubby tactics worked up to B rank but now I'm just getting bodied & dropped rank. Since this recording I've hit the lab and learned a few practical combos. I've only been playing a couple days, but I wanted to know what I can do to punish this akihiko rushdown. I usually play alittle better then this but he already beat me a few times & my nerves were shot. Any advice would be appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRyMKNVq90I

Here is a video of my kanji vs akihiko, these scrubby tactics worked up to B rank but now I'm just getting bodied & dropped rank. Since this recording I've hit the lab and learned a few practical combos. I've only been playing a couple days, but I wanted to know what I can do to punish this akihiko rushdown. I usually play alittle better then this but he already beat me a few times & my nerves were shot. Any advice would be appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRyMKNVq90I

Its not really about punishing Akihiko rushdown its more, you're doing unsafe things in neutral and getting hit for it, mashing in hitstun and getting reset for it. You need to improve your neutral and when he gets in just be content to block until you can actually punish Akihikos rushdown. After kill rush you can do a lot to beat out any form of mix-up Akihiko has except sweep which will just make it tight and you just get knocked down, but if he wants damage he has to do something fancy. Both R-Action and 214~D beat out pretty much all of his mix-up options so he really can't pressure you. Also, in neutral you can A~C under Akihikos 5C/J.5C and get a free punish. The match-up is 6-4 Kanjis favor because he has to get close to you and the risk reward is always in your favor whether you're pressuring him or he's pressuring you.