Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A.X.I.S.

[P4A] Kanji Tatsumi Critique Thread "You are not doing it right!"

That is the most respectful Kanji mirror I have ever seen.

Edit: Finish your combos, learn your combos.

I can't really judge you when its a mirror.

Same for your friend.

That is the most respectful Kanji mirror I have ever seen.

Edit: Finish your combos, learn your combos.

Haha ya. I was purposely dropping them at the points when Gabe's been known to burst. OMC > run up 5A > Block lol.

I just wanted to finally put some footage here, even if it's a mirror. Maybe next time I'll play Kanji all the way through.

EDIT: I did 5AA > j.A > j.B > dj.A > j.214B expecting him to back tech. It's such a shame that stuff like that doesn't really work in higher level play.

Here's a set I had in Grand Finals for a local ranbat. Keep in mind that Kanji is my sub now and this is a mirror match. I would have played Mitsuru (like a jerk, whatever) but since I was in winners, I figured "eh, why not".

I baited too many bursts, which I know is a bad thing. Gabe denied me the satisfaction, which is all I really wanted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cK2gegUpI80

I'm the blue one and the blonde dude

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=cK2gegUpI80#t=474s baiting a burst, yeah, but if you omc there you can space the 2b to be burst safe (i -THINK-) and you can also go for j.214b for an unburst followup if you're quick. aside from that, yea, not much to say because of mirror lol.

5B more during pressure into mixup, instead of 5AAA pressure. It is also good for neutral since it outranges all of Yosuke's ground normals. However, do not challenge him in the air or when he is up close to you. Yosuke has an exceptional 5A and 2A.

I see that he does 2A > 5B a lot, but backs off half the time. If he does back off, use it to your advantage and get out of the corner. You can challenge his 5A > 5B, 5A > 5B by using 214C after the 5B, but not so much that it becomes predictable. Seeing how he is backing off sometimes, looks like he is aware of it though.

EX Gotcha may fair better than the D version as well since the Yosuke player due to the longer range and Persona invul.

Block and punish those teleports. Guaranteed just as long as he doesn't have meter. it seems he uses it to bait your antiair from the looks of it. Just chill for a second and see if he teleports, you do not want to be antiairing Yosuke too much anyways.

And just generally be patient. Don't panic. Kanji can take quite a few hits from Yosuke.

EX Gotcha may fair better than the D version as well since the Yosuke player due to the longer range and Persona invul.

I'll watch the video in a second and give my help as well, but already pre-empting, don't use -either- 236D or 236CD vs yosuke. Any yosuke who actually knows the matchup knows how to dodge the move. Yosuke has far too many tools to outright ignore it for it to be useful.

edit: Sorry for getting back to this so late. FIrst off, like TSK said, to blow up 5A 5B dashin 5A, just 214C that shite. it has 3f of invuln specifically for blowing up pressure like that. Just remember though, you aren't doing it to punish him so much as remind him he's not allowed to do it, so don't look for it too hard unless he doesn't learn.

When using your lightning, try and use it to catch him where they're landing or in yosuke's case, try to make the kunai whiff (jump over them, etc) and then call j.d to catch his landing animation-only applies at certain spacings, of course.

After 214214C fullscreen (You did it corner to corner at 1:13) you can do a superjump forward --> j.214B or do 5D almost immediately to lock them down meaty and get a safe 5a for ticks.

If you land a CH 2b like you did around 2:40ish, you have two options I'd like to recommend - max damage (bad hit confirm) 2B CH delay 5C 236B 2A 5B 2B 236C 236A (4k damage) or do 2B 5B (good hit confirm, less damage) 5AA j.a j.b double jump j.a j.b j.214B. The bonus of this is, if they land before your 2b hits or they block it, the 5B will leave you at -1 instead of -asdkguasdb. hooray!

3:45 - Good hit confirm into good damage, but with Yosuke's health it would have been better to try and end it a little early to keep him out of awakening, away from that extra meter/defense/health. Omitting the second 236B and instead going into 236C would have likely done the job, though I'm not sure if you could have done 5AA 236C at the end instead and omitted ex chair to do the same thing. Keeping them right outside of awakening is great because you'll absolutely murder them the next time you touch them. Despite that... good reads on taking the round nice and quick afterwards lol.

4:40 - Two optiosn to get that air confirm - 5C 236B and hope for the best, which will let you do something like 2a 2b 236b 2a 2b 236C easily enough, or delay your 2C after 5C, and wait for them to bounce low enough for the hand to swipe them towards you and continue with 5b 2b 236B. Combo should be on the wiki.

4:49 - Always watch for your j.bs to get a ground CH - if you're close, run up 5AA etc, if you're far, just be ready to dash sweep, which you tried to do albeit a bit late afterwards. Don't go for j.214b, since it'll only combo on standing CHs.

Immediately after that, btw, try to tech closer to the ground or get a ground tech. Doing that will prevent you from getting airgrabbed or 2b reset righ toff the ground.

5:00, you get a grab punishing his teleport - You can take a step back and set up lightning oki instead, it'll hit him meaty so you can safely run in without worrying about him mashing, and you can time the Ds to make it a true blockstring until you can hit 'em with 5a for mixup.

and then stuff i wasn't paying as much attention but i didnt' see anything too big. also you can do 236C iad j.b as a safejump instead of the chair! try it out.

Oops at the huge typo lol!

"EX Gotcha may fair better than the D version as well, due to the longer range and Persona invul. It will do well here since the Yosuke player seems very jumpy"

ft5 with a local Narukami:

http://youtu.be/mKxSvuPNoMM

I would appreciate any advice given.

I'm just going in this assuming you two have never played each other before/don't know each other's habits, etc.

First off, pick eng kanji. Narukami matchup is way harder if you don't have troy baker watching your back.

ACTUAL first off, it's risky and whatnot, but once a narukami gets in on you with 5A/2A microdash pressure going for tick grabs, you should go for 214C to discourage him from going for that shit - even without IB, thanks to the invuln frames it'll usually beat his stuff pretty cleanly. Same with chie, though IB really helps out vs her. Good defense despite that, I wouldn't have gotten the throw tech lol. He never really baited retaliation from you by backing off, so honestly goign for a DP or preferably a 214C would have really helped you out in this match.

On his knockdowns, i'd like to see you get some IBs out of the 5D, should at least get +3 meter for every time you get knocked down. Helps you come back if you take a good chunk of damage from the blender, every bit helps.

Alright, so, one of the biggest reasons you're losing these matches is because you aren't playing the neutral very well and not answering his options well either-utilizing 5C so much needs to stop. It's a 25F startup normal, you risk losing a card, and your options on block aren't very good. He disrespects it very well in this MU and he's winning for it. From the looks of it, he relies on bulldogging in as hard as he can with 5B and j.b-well, here's one little secret the pro narukamis don't want you to know (in order to lose weight. etc): http://www.dustloop.com/guides/p4arena/hitbox/Narukami/5B.html see that frame before the active ones where he has his arm stuck out? You can CH that arm really hard. You can utilize your own 5B's 5 active frames and good CH to counterpoke his rush in 5Bs, and if you autopilot into 5B 5C 2B 236C you'll be able to snag a nice 2.6k with a safe jump knockdown, or go for 236B~j.214b for supercancel opportunities. Trust me, it works, it makes narukamis change how they play the neutral a lot lol. Dealing with j.b can be harder, whenever you're at the spacing where IAD j.b is strong you'll just have to watch for it and either defend, or be ballsy with 214D/2b CH, depending on how you're feeling. Once you get him to be more careful with his pokes, you'll be able to either try playing the ground game or start utilizing Kanji's obnoxious air movement to get in on him and pressure-I'll detail his air angles/etc later.

small, less useful note-if your opponent doesn't know how to properly counterpressure after blocking a 236A (he went for a 2A), be sure to abuse and punish that shit-If narukami goes for 5A, you're in trouble and have to defend, but since he was going for his 7f 2a, just 214C that shit until he learns how to deal with -3 on block lol. Not a long term useful note/strategy, but if people don't know the MU, run your game hard on them for it.

Another big note on this match up to the 10 min point, you get at least 5 hit confirms you don't really get to run on, particularly 5AA and 5AA5Bs. Getting that nice, quick knockdown lets you run your game and every time you land it you have the potential to completely steal the match, so being able to get that knockdown is essential! Secondly, you acutally dropped a 5AA 5B in the corner-that is -REALLY- unfortunate. Getting that confirm can net you a 5AA 5B sweep OMC (iad j.b optional) 5C 2B 236C 5AA 236C knockdown for around 3.5k with chair ender, less if you want the safejump. You can really make your 5A/214C mixup scary in the corner if you go for that big damage lol. You were also going for 5AA 2B a lot when you did get confirms-That combo only works on crouching, so be careful to confirm that! I think you lost at least 2 confirms because of it, which like i said, can end up changing the match pretty well in your favor every time you get that knockdown. :CC

Okay, dealing with corner pressure-I saw you suffer quite a bit trying to escape the corner, getting punished on rolls and a few other things. Lemme give a quick lesson here, visualize this in your head-Narukami knocks you down or you get out of his 5DD oki, he backs off a little bit, and he's out of your immediate effective range, either at sweep distance or a little bit further back. This is the spacing you rolled at and got CH'd, for the record. This is a pretty standard spacing for most fighting games, especially p4a and kof-right at the range where people might get desperate and try to roll out towards the opponent thinking they're going to immediately do something. A lot of people just go to this spacing and WAIT, because reacting to whatever option you go for if you're scared in the corner is very, very easy here, especially with Narukami able to microdash 5B you at any time. Considering how he ran his corner blockstrings, I would have suggested just waiting until he thought he'd catch your mash or similar-The instant you think he's going to give you a moment to breath, you can either try to change the situation by smartly poking at him (dash up sweep OMC j.b, run up grab, C+D cornerswap, etc) which are all a fair bit risky, or you can go for a superjump up and out of the corner-based on how you do it (using air turn backdash and using superjump forward/neutral/backwards depending) you can either try for just getting raw distance out of the corner, or try to land directly behind him and reverse the situation, coming down with a j.b or j.c depending on how antsy you think he is. You can also just delay your airdash after superjumping to change where he thinks you'll land, so you might be able to land at a spacing where he can't immediately pressure you, and go back into the neutral game rather than having your back to the wall. Experiment around a little bit! It's actually REALLY annoying to deal with kanji's superjumps out of the corner if you're smart.

For that matter, you should look at your own corner pressure game similarly-One time you had the perfect opportunity to turn the game around, had him knocked down in the corner, and you ended up going for... jump forward, double jump back, land and random 214214C ;; Kanji has quite a few options to be really really obnoxious in the corner, especially because 5AA after 5B will almost always be able to catch jumpers withotu having to microdash after to make it tight. Considering how antsy he's been with blocking and the lack of DPs i've seen, i would have gone in hardcore with the ticks to get him a little patient then just started grabbing him and resetting him in the corner like a mofo lol.

4:40 pressure - I'd like to see you do something a bit different throughout this big string-You have a LOT of meter going for you. Going for a DP can go in your favor potentially since you have enough to cancel into either supergrab if you catch his persona, or 236236A for a hard knockdown, or you could do 236236a reversal and OMC it for 5k damage or OMC it on block for a tick attempt if things didn't work out and he blocked it. Regardless, he's not respecting your options at all, so you need to give him a reason to.

For that matter, you should also make him respect getting HIT by your DP more - every time i've seen you land a DP on him, he's immediately teched and mashed to get an easy way out of paralysis. Knowing that he's going to go for that sort of option, you should do something to make him think twice about it - Hitting a normal straight out of DP so you can stuff the startup, setting up 214D, etc etc.

around 9:10ish? you get him in a pretty good string of 5C/2C/etc pressure, and end up throwing it away for a 236B~j.214b - Especially with 100% meter, I would have liked to see a lot of different options. Considering the fact he doesn't seem to be too on point with his defense and he's not trying to dodge your grabs, either just doing dash up C+D after a 2C or feinting a 5/2c into that would have reversed the situation pretty well for you into sweep --> chair. Next confirm would have done a lot of damage as well, with 100 meter.

(I'll check the later 10 min of the video later. some of the info I gave is a little out of order because of how i noted it in my post, sorry lol. You know where to find me to ask questions, go ahead!)

aisight wanted more critique

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8KpO-M1umY

i can already tell you you need to be a shithead and roll/mash grab during some of his pressure already. guy relies on 2b any time his pressure goes wrong/he needs to put you back into blockstun constantly at really bad ranges lol. Especially if they get caught by DP, tech back --> 2b is an easy way to get rid of paralysis vs most kanjis. 1:34, around 3:15ish, 6:12ish

also around 1:35, supergrabbing out of pressure won't work in your favor generally, neither will CAing out of block stun for that matter since boost high profiles our sweep.

1:58ish, you get a good lightning confirm on his 2b - rather than going for the reset you could have gotten a clean 5AA 5B 236C safejump off the crouch confirm. Probably could have caught him DPing in your pressure after as well, since he was eager to get out of orgia.

Soon after that, you start getting caught by his jump up j.cs constantly-You gotta tech carefully and use your air options to avoid that, every aigis i know goes for it ww.

around 3:05, note - I really dont' like using 5C in this matchup, except for explicit things. when you're at that sweet spot range where you're at the top of 5c and they like to 2b, you can just 5C that shit on a guess and you can get a nice FC into 236AB for 5.4-5.7k. Similarly, lightning can work, but it depends on the spacing/situation. Definitely worth watching for, but outside of that, they get counterhit too easily. When you ARE worried about that big ass j.c approach, if they're coming in high enough, you need to go for 2B, and if they're doing the low to the ground poke, go for 5B to CH them, get a hard knockdown and start your game.

3:23 - he was at half orgia and maybe even paralyzed? i don't remember 100%. going for the 5B 2C was a baad idea there, he was definitely going to mash something to get out and ensure he got his orgia meter to a comfortable level.

In general, you seem to be taking to the air a bit too much - aigis can control that space REALLY WELL with 2b, and there's no way in hell kanji is going to get over it with a well timed airdash or else. usually you're gonna get CH'd or blocking in the air, letting her setup as she pleases. You could try watching the YMST/pika set on jpbanchou's channel-YMST is REALLY careful when he goes into the air, usually doing neutral jumps and reading when pika is moving, rather than trying to approach recklessly or etc. not only will 2B make your day worse if you get caught in the air, if you're airblocking that big floaty j.c of hers, it puts you into her pressure really well.

I really don't like the wakeup DPs either - I dont' know if he adjusts later in the set, but it's a bad option VS aigis unless she's going for j.b crossups. j.c can safejump meaty kanji without even letting you take a card, and she can set up safe meaties with 5B as well, though a lot of aigises are kinda bad at it.

good blocking around 5:15 - he was really overextending on his orgia meter usage though, so it was clear he was going to go into something to deactivate before he overheats. I would have been mashing 5A or sweep towards the end of that to ch and knock him down cleanly, unless he went for 5b/5c into activate, then 236236a to hit inbetween the 5b and 5c. in general, btw? lot of aigses use 5B 5C activate/deactivate as it's her normal with the most hit/blockstun, but there's a 1f gap between 5b and 5c-if you CAN, try to get a 214214c or 236236a through that. it's tough though, i wouldn't without practice.

also, random j.214AB from the air? nasdfsakga. not worth the risk vs Aigis, she can easily be waiting to 2b or sweep that sort of thing on reaction ;;

that'll be it for now! looong video and i need to practice/eat myself today. <.<

Thanks! Still trying to work 5C out of my game, and yeah I love the air too much. I guess Touhou fighters taught me that the ground is lava or something.

Thanks! Still trying to work 5C out of my game, and yeah I love the air too much. I guess Touhou fighters taught me that the ground is lava or something.

it's part of kanji's design, he's suppose to utilize being some sort of flying shitlord machine in the air with j.b and j.c until he can either get a clean confirm or get people to play the ground game a little bit more. imo anyway. flying around using awkward angles and obnoxious normals is super important, just not all the time~