Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shinsyn

[P4A] Yu Narukami - Beginner Thread / Q&A

Main_Header_Q&A_Thread.png

Ask and you Shall Receive!

Not sure how a reset works? Can't get a grasp on those Combos? Have any questions related to Yu in P4U? This is the place to ask and have your questions answered.

so he has reach and it seems like he has some punishable moves so is he's like a vergil type character?

so he has reach and it seems like he has some punishable moves so is he's like a vergil type character?

Yes and no. As both character have tools to deal with just about every situation possible, Yu's abilities are ranged to be Good to Slightly Below Average (he does not excell in any particular subject), while Vergil's tools are all strong or better. The build is similar since they're both concidered Rush Down and frame trap heavy characters but the execution is MUCH easier with Vergil than Yu.

If you had to compare him to some character in marvel I guess it'd be Vergil, but the games are so completely different it's hardly worth the comparison. He seems all around solid, no significant weaknesses. Good normals and pretty damn good looking oki/mix-up capabilities with 5D.

Yes and no. As both character have tools to deal with just about every situation possible, Yu's abilities are ranged to be Good to Slightly Below Average (he does not excell in any particular subject), while Vergil's tools are all strong or better. The build is similar since they're both concidered Rush Down and frame trap heavy characters but the execution is MUCH easier with Vergil than Yu.

From the 3 to 4 hours of playing the game, I greatly disagree with your statement. I feel he has the most solid oki *probably the best atm* that everybody in the game has to respect, and all of his normals are also really good. His Dragon Punch has the best vertical range, can be used in the air, and also has a pretty good horizontal hitbox. I haven't learned the ONE MORE BURST combos yet, but everything else seemed just as easy if not easier than Vergil in UMVC3. Also, Narukami's pressure seems to be pretty good between watching videos and playing him myself.

Well, you did play the game so your word is much more trustwothy than mine. He appears to be solid but has his limits from what I've seen in videos but if his normals are as good as you say they are, then that's great and changes a lot. I'll leave the Q&A to Huey since you actually played the game out of everyone here, you have the most knowledge ATM so share more of your knowledge!

BTW, congrats on winning BB @ EVO

Well, you did play the game so your word is much more trustwothy than mine. He appears to be solid but has his limits from what I've seen in videos but if his normals are as good as you say they are, then that's great and changes a lot. I'll leave the Q&A to Huey since you actually played the game out of everyone here, you have the most knowledge ATM so share more of your knowledge!

BTW, congrats on winning BB @ EVO

Thanks... Do you know what his oki is?

From what I've seen, his oki options come from these moves (correct me if I'm wrong, since you are aware of them)

2A: Hits low and should hit grounded opponents

5D: Izanagi charges at you with his spear on the ground, its slow but it picks the opponent up and you can follow up with 5DD

2D: Essentially does the same thing as 5D and can also be followed up with 5DD

236A+B(Swift Strike): On air hit it bounces the opponent off the ground for a possible follow up (not sure if that would count as Oki though).

214C+D(Raging Lion): That would be Yu and Izanagi's electric slide (no pun intended), and that's appears to be one of your fastest Oki options that can lead to follow ups.

As I said before, I could be wrong about this info (I've been wrong before and owned up to it) and I'm glad you cleared that foul up of mine earlier. I haven't touched the game so I wouldn't exactly know being a player that prefers hands-on training so that's why I was asking you to inform us here.

Please, note the errors in my post so that I am also aware of what oki options he has. I would really appreciate it since I've decided to playing him when the game is released.

It's something like

knockdown > (they tech and block) 5D > j.B > start mix up

knockdown > (the don't tech and get hit) 5D > j.B > 5DD > 2A+B knockdown > 5D > repeat

I think it works for 2 reps at least? And after that you use j.2A or something. The guy in the 15 on 15 matches does some of it.

Yeah, VR has it, except I think you can confim the tech before the j.B so you can do just 5D>jump into airdash / low mixup.

Added VR's explanation of Yu's Oki in the Combo thread. Thanks.

Ah ok. So does j.2A force tech? And does it give time to start 5D oki again? If not I guess you can cancel to j.D for oki from there, though I dunno how strong that is.

When you do the j.2A you'll have the 5DD to hit them with when they tech to make them block.

If you're talking about raw j.2A when you don't have the 5DD backed up, then I'm not sure. Jiyuna said oki off of it wasn't that great and you can go into j.D, but I don't want to say anything definite until I get my hands on the game.

you can do just 5D>jump into airdash / low mixup.

its me or is this a less effective mixup in this game than in BB :( ?

It seems that you can't air dash as low to the ground as you can in BB

This looks like "the oki" we've been talking about, except the end is slightly different.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrgwrfsyizQ&t=3m39s

He's doing j.B > 5DD > j.2A for the ender. But I like the sound of what you said better Mash, where you do the 5DD as they tech, cuz then you'd be able to safely bait reversals. I guess here you could do that stab with Izanagi after the tech? (don't know the command) I wonder if you have to do the 5DD between the j.B and j.2A for it to combo? Or if he could've just done j.2A on it's own? Need training mode :I:

I'm pretty sure he's doing that to maximize damage from the oki since the other guy refuses to tech.

Ah ok. So does j.2A force tech? And does it give time to start 5D oki again? If not I guess you can cancel to j.D for oki from there, though I dunno how strong that is.

Sorry if this is too late of a response.

j.2A does not force tech but it causes a knockdown and they can only neutral tech in that situation. The interesting thing is you can do 214A (OTG) to see if they tech and then 2B them if they do because 214A puts them in the air. As you said, you can cancel into j.D but the oki game you get off of j.D isn't as good as 5D. There's a bunch of interesting things you can do off of j.D in those situations (maybe unblockables or really hard to block situations) but it really depends if the opponent is reversal happy or not. If Narukami gets hit while Izanagi is waiting to come down then it cancels Izanagi and you lose a Persona primer. I'm not sure if Izanagi gets cancelled out of j.D if Narukami blocks something like Shadow Labrys.

Update to the previous info.

j.D does not hit as an overhead so no unblockable setups. It might be deceiving to new people but they can essentially down back you until you give them a reason to block high. Izanagi will not cancel his action if you block something from your opponent only if you get hit.

In general, anytime your persona is out on the screen and you get hit the Persona will disappear and you lose a Persona primer. This kind of makes Narukami susceptible to Persona breaks a lot since his Persona is out for a long time during 5D, j.D, 5C, 2C, 236C/D and 214C/D. I really don't like the fireball because Izanagi is out far too long and any hit causes you to lose a primer and in terms of space control it's not that great. 214C/D is unsafe on block and Izanagi is out long enough that if you get punished you lose a primer. All other Persona normals also keeps Izanagi out for a long time.

Since his gatling table is limited, I feel hesitant in his pressure strings. 5C, 2C back dash cancel keeps you safe but leaves Izanagi exposed. You can't leave yourself on 5B though because you're at frame disadvantage and it's not jump cancelable on block. Naturally you have to end in 5C then IAD back but doing this too much can get you punished same goes for jcing IAD back 2B. 2B, 5C, 5B is doable but again leaving yourself at 5B is bad. 2A, 5A is good but you can't reverse gatling and the frame advantage on these moves is minor that if you try frame trapping or don't properly gatling into 2B or 5B mash BD or super can beat you.

It's something I have to play around with and get use to finding optimal strings but it seems like you're always unsafe unless you're doing 2A or 5A.

ur main pressure if you want to keep Izanagi safe has to be 2B,5B and the 5DD. after the second D (he'll go away in seconds) to 5DD you should come in with both 2B, 5B after that you can go into 5B (again) or 5C into 214D (does more damage). thats just one way to keep him safe

Isn't j.D too slow and not really useful for pressures, though I find it useful on corners with 2A pressure..

Q> which is better to follow up on 214C to OMC.. 5B? or 2B?