Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shinsyn

[P4A] Yu Narukami - Beginner Thread / Q&A

I found a better way to practice the combo. Set the dummy to crouching, block everything, disable block switching. Record the dummy with a 5A and hold it down (so it can tech the knockdown) then hold back for approximately 260 seconds. If you do 2A, 2A, 2B (2 hits), 5B, 2AB, 5D then go for the fuzzy guard setup the the dj.A portion comes at the 260 second mark so the dummy will switch to crouch blocking without the ability to switch to high block. The record timing may vary between characters but this was done with Yu vs Yu.

When I get sweep KD I just jump around and roll my face on the buttons, hope 5DD covers my ass then when the string ends in - frames I press B+D to reset pressure. Usually works great.

But I think the fuzzy setup is good too.

i just do the combo separately from the actual setup (block switching off, block everything just watch for jA to get blocked), and i land it a lot for the most part :v

you can practice the combo on standing yu with just straight up rising jA~

I have been playing Yu since release and doing well but I think he might start to become predictable and get worse.Coming from Ragna I really like Yu and his pressure so I just am making sure he isn't a first month gimmicky character.

I have been playing Yu since release and doing well but I think he might start to become predictable and get worse.Coming from Ragna I really like Yu and his pressure so I just am making sure he isn't a first month gimmicky character.

no, his mixup isnt going to change much but at the end of the day its still strong

Ragna never had oki that not only forced people to block, but also gave him several options with which to mix-up the opponent, and all of them would lead to a confirm that would either

A. Lead to big damage in the corner/with meter

B. Lead into the oki set-up again

The predictability will all depend on the player and how they use those options. Think about it: with 5D oki, he can cross-up, safe jump, empty jump mix-up, air dash mix-up, tick throw, and if done correctly, he'll be safe while doing any of these. Izanagi will keep them honest.

So just learn your options and mix it up, and it'll open your opponents up.

Protagonist/shoto chars are the opposite of gimmicky. Ragna/Yu by design will always be good, since they are well balanced and have all the fundamental tools to compete. Even without the 5D oki Yu would still be decent, he has great pokes, decent damage and one of the better DPs in the game. Ryu low forward/fireball/shoryu has been predictable for 20+ years now, still works great. :v:

I will say that a lot of the canned 5D oki is blockable on reaction especially if you're used to the flowchart but there's still silly stuff like fuzzy j.A to open people up.

Protagonist/shoto chars are the opposite of gimmicky. Ragna/Yu by design will always be good, since they are well balanced and have all the fundamental tools to compete. Even without the 5D oki Yu would still be decent, he has great pokes, decent damage and one of the better DPs in the game. Ryu low forward/fireball/shoryu has been predictable for 20+ years now, still works great. :v:

I will say that a lot of the canned 5D oki is blockable on reaction especially if you're used to the flowchart but there's still silly stuff like fuzzy j.A to open people up.

Actually, the only thing Ragna has that can be considered a shoto move would be the Inferno Divider. Dead Spike isn't a projectile and the only way players can use Hell's Fang safely is into combos.

Question.. Which is a better follow-up for 214B>5B.. 2B? or 5C? by better I mean damage wise and combo follow-up wise

Question.. Which is a better follow-up for 214B>5B.. 2B? or 5C? by better I mean damage wise and combo follow-up wise
If you can do 5C -> TK j.214AB that will do more damage and let you get more loops.

2B is easier and lifts the opponent more, 5B does slightly more damage and can help you set up AAA by putting the opponent lower. If you do 5B, you have to hit them really high.

5B can combo from farther away, sometimes allowing you to continue a combo when you aren't quite to the corner.

2B is more consistent.

If you can do 5C -> TK j.214AB that will do more damage and let you get more loops.

2B is easier and lifts the opponent more, 5B does slightly more damage and can help you set up AAA by putting the opponent lower. If you do 5B, you have to hit them really high.

5B can combo from farther away, sometimes allowing you to continue a combo when you aren't quite to the corner.

2B is more consistent.

thanks man.. more question though

does the j.214AB loop works only when the enemy is FC'ed by 214B? cause in my case the training dummy and my friend(also a dummy lol) techs out after j.214AB if not FC'ed any tips on how to continue the loop?

and also after the d.5B>2B after raging lion B connects offer anymore combos than j.BB>(JC)j.B>j.C>j.214AorB.. like a setup for an oki for example

What's the closest thing to frame data on the internet for Yu?

me

/rimshot

whats up

I don't actually TK the j.214AB, I do the jump forwards and immediately do it.

You can't just do raw 5C -> j.214AB unless you hit them very high up with the j.c (by doing it early).

After 214B you can almost certainly do dash 2B/5B 5C j.214AB 2B j.c 214B 2B j.c 214A AAA. Can't test now. Honestly how the heck do you land a 214B if it's not a counter-hit (and therefore a fatal). But yeah that combo won't gain you meter from the AAA obviously.

5C 214AB only works at the beginning of the combo as well, from my testing you are basically limited to two 214AB's in a non-fatal combo (and you don't want to do them at all in a fatal combo because you can do j.214B). It's not worth doing at the end of a combo anyway, it's to extend combos and avoid j.c.

What's the closest thing to frame data on the internet for Yu?
The dustloop wiki has frame data for his 5A, 2A, and AoA. I hear tell that his j.BD is 4 frames.

Outside the Wiki, have any guides developed yet? In regards to move properties and placement, strats etc? Not really sure what my general approach with this character should be.

Hey guys, new to DustLoop and Arksys kind of games. Is there a way to make Yu's j.B cross up? I've seen japanese Yu players dash over an opponents head and when they cross them up they could do something similar to a cross-up j.B. Any tips?

Hey guys, new to DustLoop and Arksys kind of games. Is there a way to make Yu's j.B cross up? I've seen japanese Yu players dash over an opponents head and when they cross them up they could do something similar to a cross-up j.B. Any tips?
Hit A+C in the air, it makes you turn the opposite way.

What's the use of j.D (Izanagi floating mid-air and doing a diving spear lunge)?

It's not really useful.. though I use it after an air grab.. it secures your enemy to not crouch but be sure to keep the pressure after that

@kiku: tried that non fatal double 5C > 214AB it's not that good for a 50 heat req combo and enemy heat gain gives lot.. and sometimes I land 214B on 5D okis cause the 5DD follow up ensures safety on my punishable frames but I don't do it unless the enemy is low on health

It's not really useful.. though I use it after an air grab.. it secures your enemy to not crouch but be sure to keep the pressure after that

What? j.D is not an overhead.

@kiku: tried that non fatal double 5C > 214AB it's not that good for a 50 heat req combo and enemy heat gain gives lot..

It's an alternative to the simple meterless 2B j.c loops and if you're going to end in a super it does much better damage.

and sometimes I land 214B on 5D okis cause the 5DD follow up ensures safety on my punishable frames but I don't do it unless the enemy is low on health
214B is so obviously an overhead and so slow that it's not worth doing against a decent opponent offline. I would rather do 214A in basically every situation. Even if they block, with 5DD you can blockstring from it.

Off 2AB to 5D I think j.b is the best way to start a mixup anyway.

214B is so obviously an overhead and so slow that it's not worth doing against a decent opponent offline. I would rather do 214A in basically every situation. Even if they block, with 5DD you can blockstring from it.

Off 2AB to 5D I think j.b is the best way to start a mixup anyway.

I agree j.B is probably the best mix-up on his oki, it can even be j.d A+C to make another mixup.. it's probably the best mix-up he has even on non oki pressures.. I just use the 214B when I feel confident lol :keke: