Sign in to follow this  
Jourdal

[P4A] Mitsuru Kirijo Gameplay Discussion

Yes, since I'm maining Mitsuru and Aigis, I will also make combo videos and such. I'm actually better at making combos than playing the game, interestingly enough, if you've seen my work in the Lambda combo thread. Though, it could be awhile before the optimal combos come to light. Once the frame data is up, I'll probably have a better grasp on things though.

Like you said, video clips would be a great way to show optimal combos that should be much easier for a beginner to follow.

Man, that'd be a real bitch if I were to do that with the Jin combo thread. Wait no, it would take me hella longer with the Plat combo thread lol. You really just have to teach them the building blocks to said combos because really, most combos are just slight variations of the same combo.

Challenge Mode in BB doesn't even teach you what the building blocks are to said combos. In the other hand, if the subject doesn't even know about DL, then that's pretty much all they have. Challenge Mode in Marvel and KoF XIII actually do use either optimal BnBs or slightly crappier variations of them. I hope that Persona's Challenge Mode is anywhere as useful as KoF XIII's, for the newbies' sake.

All you have to do is record them all in a video, and create time links to the corresponding combos. Update it occasionally. Not that bad, and easier to manage if done from the start.

I remember attempting the challenge mode with makoto in BB....yeah I was like this is wayyy confusing and complicated...I couldnt figure the input timimg at all.

The thing about that is that optimal combos are subject to change. I know I've revised and updated every combo in both of my threads at least 3 times. If I were to do that, then I would probably wait a couple of months until I fully understand the mechanics behind said characters combo structure and see what the Japanese have to offer. Then try to make a video but by then it would probably be too late. Just like now it's probably too late to release a Jin tutorial series of videos lol.

also what game could I play to maybe prepare for this game? I was never spectacular at mvc3 but its hard to get it outta my head. SF has to many damn buttons. XD

also what game could I play to maybe prepare for this game? I was never spectacular at mvc3 but its hard to get it outta my head. SF has to many damn buttons. XD

Maybe Jojo's but the curve for game so high. I don't really think there's any one game to get ready. Games that come to mind is bb,mb,kof, and jojos.

BB is the only thing I can think of, since it's what I currently play. Plus BB and P4U have the same dev so the mechanics are roughly the same.

On the topic of optimal combos, yes it usually takes while before better ones come to light. Once people have explored with mechanics and things like that those optimal combos continuously change, which makes it quite a challenge and also very fun to do. Best thing is to just do them as soon as possible and follow up months later with new things you've learned and build up on that.

You don't necessarily need to do every combo. My definition of optimal is a high-damage combo that can be achieved from 50/50, so all block starters would be a no-go, something like that. Has to be usable in an actual fight and also you should be able to tone it down to make it easier to do at the expense of damage. A lot Lambda's combos are like that.

Combos in general are pieces of a whole. Sometimes Challenge Mode has those pieces, for instance, the only usable Challenge Mode combo I've seen was Lambda's air ender and even that was sub-optimal under certain circumstances. As said before, I hope ASW does a better job with Challenge Mode in P4U, if only to help the newer players.

BlazBlue and KoF are definitely the closest.

The thing about that is that optimal combos are subject to change. I know I've revised and updated every combo in both of my threads at least 3 times. If I were to do that, then I would probably wait a couple of months until I fully understand the mechanics behind said characters combo structure and see what the Japanese have to offer. Then try to make a video but by then it would probably be too late. Just like now it's probably too late to release a Jin tutorial series of videos lol.

As long as I keep the original editing files, I can insert or delete combos as needed to the tutorial. It's rather simple. And while yes, the most optimal combos probably won't come out for a while, not getting started with this in the very beginning means it never happening. Like the Jin tutorial. :P That's borderline useless at this point... many people are dropping BB entirely, and I waited so long for it that most of the shit that will be covered in it I went off and learned on my own.

On the topic of optimal combos, yes it usually takes while before better ones come to light. Once people have explored with mechanics and things like that those optimal combos continuously change, which makes it quite a challenge and also very fun to do. Best thing is to just do them as soon as possible and follow up months later with new things you've learned and build up on that.

Pretty much this.

I just read a lot about checking optimal combo threads and visual aid. I'd much rather spend hours in the lab and find shit out myself maybe that's just me. I feel we go out of our way to hold peoples hands a bit too much and it's sort of pointless imo.

Editing for clarity so people don't jump down my throat. I guess this is the age where STSFN is kinda dead (heh). The idea behind all this tends to be that beginners will shy away because it's too hard. But information is generally always there are easy to read....extra visual aid isn't necessary imo. All you need to do is understand how "5B,6A" etc works and the rest should really be up to you. They keep making games easier yet the spoon feeding is becoming more and more elaborate. The other issue with this (and challenge mode) is that they teach you combos. Stuff like neutral,spacing is generally overlooked (or doesn't get the attention it deserves) etc gets overshadowed by the focus on combos.

Come to think of it, i've only looked up one combo in the Jin combo thread...

Tl;dr I think personal lab time>>>>spoon feeding.

Edited by Jourdal

I've had many a time where I'm like "How the fuck does this connect?" and visual aides would have been really helpful when I was starting out.

Personal lab time is always good, but you gotta remember there are those who have never played FGs before... that's especially going to happen with this game.

Come to think of it, i've only looked up one combo in the Jin combo thread...

lol, that's kinda why I stopped working on the Platinum combo thread. I highly doubt that people would memorize all of that shit. In the other hand, it did help me keep tabs on the optimal combos as I really didn't memorize all of those up until now. Most of those are combos I came up with, the Japanese and some other people from DL helped me build the foundation behind some of those though. Hitting the lab is not something that most people have the time and energy for. I for one, love finding shit on my own once the foundation for combos has been built.

Well, the truth of it, I never looked up combos for Lambda I just contribute to the combo thread with combos I happened across. But not everyone is the same I suppose. It really is bad they don't emphasize spacing, neutral, etc more though. Because combos tend to be useless if you don't know how or when to use them. At least they tell you it exists (I think) in the tutorial mode.

At the end of the day though, it's more or less the player discovering these things on their own. That's what really makes fighting games great.

@Moy, i actually see why you did it lol, working on the mitsuru threads (particularly the combo thread) here helped me learn quite a bit about the character and how she works. I think everyone can put in an hour of lab time at the very least..if they're serious i mean. I too like tweaking stuff based on pre existing foundation, i do pretty weird combos in generally though. I ad lib like crazy haha.

@achedsphinx, Yeah..those are the important things, thats why players with bad execution can do well, but players with good execution and lack of the other stuff will get bodied.

lol, that's kinda why I stopped working on the Platinum combo thread. I highly doubt that people would memorize all of that shit. In the other hand, it did help me keep tabs on the optimal combos as I really didn't memorize all of those up until now. Most of those are combos I came up with, the Japanese and some other people from DL helped me build the foundation behind some of those though. Hitting the lab is not something that most people have the time and energy for. I for one, love finding shit on my own once the foundation for combos has been built.

I actually like finding shit on my own too, but every time I found something cool with Jin there was already it or something better listed in the combo thread. :v:

Tl;dr I think personal lab time>>>>spoon feeding.

There's alot of things that have yet to be discovered in P4U too.Games that are new experiences require people to go to the lab. If you spoon feed the players, then it kills the element of discovering anything. I will go to combo thread and check the info. Most of time it's useless in a week or two after people start experimentation with the info.

Tee hee, i has power now. J/k, anyway yeah.....it's no fun having everything laid out for me. I also kind of wish people would save some tech in secret and you see it bust out in a real match or a tournament, this is a different age though, the minute people discover something it goes on YT and (eventually) SRK front page lol.

Tee hee, i has power now. J/k, anyway yeah.....it's no fun having everything laid out for me. I also kind of wish people would save some tech in secret and you see it bust out in a real match or a tournament, this is a different age though, the minute people discover something it goes on YT and (eventually) SRK front page lol.

Believe me that if I ever find secret tech I'm using it to style on NY.

I generally keep one or two things to myself for a while if I find them. Especially if it's a dirty reset or something gimmicky of the sort. I haven't come across too much of the sort though.

Lol Mash hush that shit up, nigga you free at video games.

Good stuff on Misturu mod Jourdal keep them videos nice and updated for my mid day boredom.

<3 you better.

BRIOOOO

I generally keep one or two things to myself for a while if I find them. Especially if it's a dirty reset or something gimmicky of the sort. I haven't come across too much of the sort though.

Jin had so many people playing him...anything you thought of was typically done like a month before you did :(

Lol Mash hush that shit up, nigga you free at video games.

Good stuff on Misturu mod Jourdal keep them videos nice and updated for my mid day boredom.

Will do sir, thanks !

11 Mitsuru's representing Tougeki. Think it's a good indication of how she's represented when consoles hit? 11 is the highest btw.

Maybe,I'm not sure how popular she is up here. The forums were pretty dead before the nuking, I feel Naoto and Liz will be super popular stateside.

Yea I dont know what's gonna be the most popular. For the Florida scene at first was a lot of players interested in Titsuru, now it's very mixed with people even looking at Teddie which scares me. So many appealing characters I think almost everyone is having that identity crisis before the game hits.

I'm sort of on that identy crisis lvl, i mean i kno im going to be playing mitsuru, but i also want to play chie and shadow labrys. As for combos tho i personally just look for like the 2 best per situation combos, when i first got BB i was rly into trying to make up combos. Then i found DL and ur channel Jourdal; and just started stealing combos from there. After gettin all the combos per situation down i just try to work on setups and applying good pressure/ not failing to block an overhead and getting crossed up etc.

Does anybody know how to do the "fake" sweep? Like the normal sweep is 2A+B but in videos you'll see her use the sweep movement but the attack won't come out. How would I do that? Is it 2A+B and hold the buttons?

Sign in to follow this