Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NickExtreme1

[P4A] Labrys - Gameplay Discussion

I'm back from my trip. I feel so behind on everything, haha. Any interesting stuff happen in the last month with Labrys?

hello every one, i think i may be picking this charater as my main after fiddling with her shadow version. It seems this one a little more of my time with her. I couldn't handle the puppeteer version for her, this one seems bit more lenient with her personal. This one seems more aggressive but i plan to turtle bit more with her. how her nuetral game? im sure shadow version is better but prefer this labrys stright forwardness.

havent played, as it just came out, and not in america

but i would advise dont turtle with labrys.

if shes doing nothing, her axe meter slowly drifts towards level 3, while keeping pressure on will build it. most of her combos that are decent/good need level 4 or 5 axe, so its in your interest to keep momentum. something to keep in mind is all

havent played, as it just came out, and not in america

but i would advise dont turtle with labrys.

if shes doing nothing, her axe meter slowly drifts towards level 3, while keeping pressure on will build it. most of her combos that are decent/good need level 4 or 5 axe, so its in your interest to keep momentum. something to keep in mind is all

while i do us term turtle, i don't mean it in the excessive sense. I just play a passive agressive Game pokes, but I will make sure to keep her axe power in mind

you dont really have time to play passive, axe meter runs out quite quickly

to the guy talking about 2B after tsurugi im pretty sure if you try to blockstring into an air unblock move it wont be air unblockable

no guard breaking mid air?

that blows :(

maybe its different for non gatling (tested with 5A 2B with yu)? day -13 experiences, i could be wrong

while i do us term turtle, i don't mean it in the excessive sense. I just play a passive agressive Game pokes, but I will make sure to keep her axe power in mind

While you should maintain pressure, it is completely viable to also take a defensive approach. Labrys's punish game is amazing if you can instant block. Just use a little meter to push yourself from green axe to red axe off 25 meter 5A/2A whiff/unsafe punish and go nuts.

to the guy talking about 2B after tsurugi im pretty sure if you try to blockstring into an air unblock move it wont be air unblockable

Correct. If your opponent is in blockstun, air unblockable moves (ie. Yu 2b, Lab 2b, etc) lose their unblockable property.

While you should maintain pressure, it is completely viable to also take a defensive approach. Labrys's punish game is amazing if you can instant block. Just use a little meter to push yourself from green axe to red axe off 25 meter 5A/2A whiff/unsafe punish and go nuts.

Exactly. I'm use to Instant blocking thru attack strings, and once I have Sp meter advantage is when play agressive.

not_lunaris@# I haven't notice my level being down and what little offense i manage to do keep the level 2-4 which is fine to me.

Correct. If your opponent is in blockstun, air unblockable moves (ie. Yu 2b, Lab 2b, etc) lose their unblockable property.

but couldnt you just "link" 2b after they are done blocking tsurugi (or as shadow labrys, if they get caught in that air flame thing)

They have a certain frame window after being in blockstun in the air that normally air unblockable attacks are in fact blockable in order to prevent people getting caught in the air with a multi-hit super (I.E. Naoto Hamaon has multiple hits. If they start chicken blocking it, she could just walk up, 2B and instantly win. Thankfully this mechanic prevents that.)

If they start chicken blocking it, she could just walk up, 2B and instantly win. Thankfully this mechanic prevents that.)

i dunno, sounds like a happy punish for chicken blocking/being too jumpy to me :P

I mean, there are other ways to get around chicken blocking. That and the fact that you can't block for... 8 frames? IRRC right after jumping. But because there are moves that lock the opponent blocking in the air, having a mechanic that gave you a free combo from that would be too strong. Can you imagine Shadow Labrys? Red fire into her 2B all day. I mean heck, even Chie's persona attacks lock people down for a good second or so; more than enough to get in and 2B "air unblockable" them. Just my 2 cents about it.

I mean, there are other ways to get around chicken blocking. That and the fact that you can't block for... 8 frames? IRRC right after jumping. But because there are moves that lock the opponent blocking in the air, having a mechanic that gave you a free combo from that would be too strong. Can you imagine Shadow Labrys? Red fire into her 2B all day. I mean heck, even Chie's persona attacks lock people down for a good second or so; more than enough to get in and 2B "air unblockable" them. Just my 2 cents about it.

That would be a fair price for catching someone in the air/chickenblocking IMO. It isn't like this game has marvel mixup or something. Unless s-labrys's fire actually puts opponents in the air even if they haven't jumped, in which i see your point.

Could anyone confirm whether Brutal Impact eats all your axe gauge or not for me? Does the A version not use any and the B version consume all of it? I was initially under the impression that it didn't eat any axe gauge, but I've started rounds with grey axe multiple times, now, after ending the previous round with BI and non-grey gauge. I'm somewhat confused. I may just be remembering things wrongly. 2GB and some other folks pointed out to me that written info states that it eats no gauge, as well.

Also, I need more angles on that figure before I can decide if it may be worth buying or not, haha.

For anyone who cares heres a video solution for her Challenge 30:

Could anyone confirm whether Brutal Impact eats all your axe gauge or not for me? Does the A version not use any and the B version consume all of it? I was initially under the impression that it didn't eat any axe gauge, but I've started rounds with grey axe multiple times, now, after ending the previous round with BI and non-grey gauge. I'm somewhat confused. I may just be remembering things wrongly. 2GB and some other folks pointed out to me that written info states that it eats no gauge, as well.

Also, I need more angles on that figure before I can decide if it may be worth buying or not, haha.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't eat up your gauge, thats what makes those Brutal Impact setups worth anything because you can overkill to end the round without wasting your Axe Gauge.

The pros & cons of Labrys, taken from Brokentier's simple character guide for Persona 4 Arena.

Labrys

Pros:

+ Good range on normals

+ Capable of dealing high damage if conditions are met

Cons:

- Slow mobility and attacks

- Very little oki abilitiy outside of Persona attacks

- Has to constantly keep pressure or else damage capabilities go down

- Overall not very damaging unless Axe status is Yellow or Red

Goal:

Pressure the opponent from close range to level up your Axe status. Then use your Persona to pressure them further on wakeup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_34HYy2aBY

Labrys uses non-stop pressure to level up Axe status to Red, using her Persona for oki on wakeup.

High level players to look out for:

Tomo

Source: http://www.brokentier.com/blogs/news/6324820-persona-4-arena-simple-character-guide

That's a reasonable list. I'd add that her options when under pressure aren't very strong, as well.

Also, I can now confirm that Brutal Impact B drains all axe meter.

So if BI-B drains the meter, which ends up being worth it usually? BI or the other super?

I mean I will probably wanna stick to BI-A combos if it keeps the meter... I wanna keep her normal footsies game threatening as shit, but just wondering.

So if BI-B drains the meter, which ends up being worth it usually? BI or the other super?

I mean I will probably wanna stick to BI-A combos if it keeps the meter... I wanna keep her normal footsies game threatening as shit, but just wondering.

There's virtually no reason to use BI-B, other than to troll. It takes so long to come out, can be rolled through on reaction, drains all axe gauge, and is incredibly punishable after the whiff. The only vaguely legit use of it I can think of is to waste a couple seconds at the end of a round/match for time out.

BI-A does more damage than Moujuu-A, I think, but they also take slightly more meter. Your call on using it.