Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NickExtreme1

[P4A] Labrys - Gameplay Discussion

Haha I bascially burn it in all the ways you all mentioned put together.

1. Obviously to end a match, but also to end a round if it's very close.

2. If I Have red axe and I can put some real fear into them by doing an easy 6000 damage or something combo.

3. I really enjoy using it on characters like Yosuke, Liz, Naoto, just to destroy a huge chunk of health.

4. I definitely use it to finish off characters before they go into awakening, or at least do as much damage into awakening as possible.

5. I'll use it if I feel like I won't be able to keep the red axe vs certain characters.

It's important to remember that your axe will recover to level 3 on it's own without even having to attack/whiff. Also that your axe will never drop below level 3 without using Moujuu-D or Brutal Impact-B. And just to make sure everyone is aware, whiffing theoretically can get you to red axe. I remember someone mistakingly saying somewhere that it only gets you to level 3 but it is possible. It takes a long time and is 1000% impractical but whiffing can save your red axe so it may be worth knowing.

Edit: Woo, just achieved S rank ^^

I burn the Axe if I can get the kill during that round or so I can get the most damage out of it before they hit awakening. In most matches I play against better players I don't end up having Red Axe at the end anyway and I'm fighting to just keep it at yellow so I don't see the harm in burning it now and work on refilling it quickly to green/yellow from there.

Also that your axe will never drop below level 3 without using Moujuu-D or Brutal Impact-B.

Edit: Woo, just achieved S rank ^^

Or getting hit by the other guy. xD

Grats on the S rank. :)

Or getting hit by the other guy. xD

Grats on the S rank. :)

Thanks :D I also just hit 16th highest PSR at 725 with Labrys on Xbox, so at least the imput I contribute won't just seem like me talking out my ass haha.

Edit: 15th

Edit2: 14th at 729

side note

in training i found out something

get hit by mitsuru ice wall super (the one that freezes and you need to waggle out of) and dont waggle

you can get hit by it at green, not take any more damage, but go from green to blue while in the ice.

just a fun fact

===========

and a gimmick i found. looking for input if people just arent reacting right or of its something to have in your belt

combo into 214x ender for knockdown, 22a (hold down a), BD, let them block the BD then release a to cover your recovery.

-if you super armor something, you didnt get hit, so you dont lose the 22a, you might get hit after you release the a, but you will release it, they get caught and you get advantage for dash 5a combo at minimum

-not sure what happens if they try to roll. bd might hit them, releasing a early might work, they might just roll

-throw doesnt work, since its BD and throw immune

-should tag jump outs by catching with the a for a combo

-if you release a late enough, should cover the recovery of your BD so your safe(ish?)

the few times ive done the gimmick, i have been mitsuru reversal ice wall super, yu cross slash, kanji wakeup throw, and kanji dp

if someone knows the flaw to this gimmick, or tests this to not work as it has been the few times i did it in a match, let me know ^^

That gimmick's hilarious. I'm pretty sure rolls will beat up IF you are too close (aka they roll past you, otherwise you CH DP them for free).

Also, I think that if you hold the DP, they can just upback or some nonsense...although they do have to go around the spike to punish. Maybe once they know the gimmick they'll just super you after blocking? Stuff like that.

Edit: It's great to catch people just mashing though, especially towards the end of a round when you have gears or such.

They should definitely be able to roll that, but it's a pretty funny setup anyway. Their reversal, roll, backdash at far range, and maybe superjump would all win. Still good to know.

My policy on gimmicks is as long as it works once, it's done its job.

roll is the big concern

reversal you would eat with your dp's armor, and the chain hits them after. it doesnt go away.

they shouldnt be far enough to backdash and not get tagged if you do it after say... 5aaaa, or anything into a close 214x

superjump is a maybe. im gonna test this when i get a chance and tell you guys all the options it fully beats.

if it ends up only 1 option is really viable, our oki could get really silly. you cancel the 22a into dp so late they cant react to your dp then decide to roll. so it could be a 22a-throw to beat roll.

ideas will be had. ill report back, maybe later tonight.

They can time their reversal to beat our DP though unless the 22A somehow prevents that. I've seen multiple characters (Mitsuru, Kanji, S.Labrys, Labrys) beat our DP on reaction with their own. Don't know how viable it is to do so in this case. Would need to test it at casuals this week.

I feel like your setup would be more viable off of sweep rather than 214x. Might check later.

the thing is if you time the 22a to hit, even if they hit you, they get caught and you get the advantage. that and you can hold the dp and a, so its all on your terms. its their wakeup, so they gotta take 1 guess. like i said ill get back to you guys on it

I'm also going to assume you combo into 214A+B for the special cancel property? Otherwise, I don't see how you're not just getting poked out of the sword summon after 214x.

I'm also going to assume you combo into 214A+B for the special cancel property? Otherwise, I don't see how you're not just getting poked out of the sword summon.

I'm going to have to vouch on this. 214A/B has a lot of recovery and anybody who knows this and sees you throwing out chain will mash you to hell on their wakeup.

After the SB Guillotine or off of sweep, though, it's a pretty reasonable setup.

- loses to roll, almost any type of jump, certain wakeup dps (Mitsuru, Teddie, etc.), wakeup supers.

- can be made gapless between DP and Sword, so it's completely safe if they block the DP, even if they IB both the DP and the Sword.

- after SB Guillotine, can be made into a meaty DP (beats rolls and jumps), but it's so obvious that people will probably just late tech or reversal/reversal super. It won't super armor as long, either, since it's meaty, so it will just straight-up lose to some DPs.

yea the 214ab, sorry for mistyping. also off sweep, and off throw but thats riskier. very rollable. ><

this is what i get for winging gimmicks mid match and not taking notes. ^^

Not really legit off of throw, you're still in counterhit state when the opponent finishes teching. Any character can poke out of it.

Any example of a combo that's unstable with D super? I've yet to have a drop I don't just consider a failure in timing on my part, so I'm pretty curious about this.

I could easily be wrong (And can't bring up anything off the top of my head that isn't anecdotal) but there were times that TOTALLY FELT LIKE I DIDN'T DO D SUPER TOO LATE OR SOMETHING I SWEAR lol. It most frequently happens with random a2a or 2B AA confirms, which are where things like variable height etc feel like they can screw it up. Sorry I can't give anything concrete though :/

Also I got drunk and bored and read back on the thread a bit, I know the 22x oki thing is a bit old but off like 2As into 2A+B xx 22A, dash 2A should be meaty if done properly even with green axe. Tested it a while back and I explicitly remember not being able to roll out of that on wakeup compared to immediate 2A+B after 22A. Granted if that 2A hits then the rest of your combo does pretty sad damage, but gotta take what you can get.

I could easily be wrong (And can't bring up anything off the top of my head that isn't anecdotal) but there were times that TOTALLY FELT LIKE I DIDN'T DO D SUPER TOO LATE OR SOMETHING I SWEAR lol. It most frequently happens with random a2a or 2B AA confirms, which are where things like variable height etc feel like they can screw it up. Sorry I can't give anything concrete though :/

Also I got drunk and bored and read back on the thread a bit, I know the 22x oki thing is a bit old but off like 2As into 2A+B xx 22A, dash 2A should be meaty if done properly even with green axe. Tested it a while back and I explicitly remember not being able to roll out of that on wakeup compared to immediate 2A+B after 22A. Granted if that 2A hits then the rest of your combo does pretty sad damage, but gotta take what you can get.

Yeah, someone else pointed out that you could meaty with 5A/2A. Definitely good to know. Not sure why I thought otherwise. :D

As far as the D super dropping goes, just be as tight on the timing as possible, I guess. You could always try to be the god of Labrys and learn to 100% combo the C super, lol. Phase out that D super!

Fuck yeah shitty C super burst to shit to D super combos! For D super at this point I just try to stick to what I'm sure will work, and if I don't know for sure I just let it go lol.

P.S. Shoutouts to Iora for the DP + 22A tech, having another way to make people not mash dee pee is always nice.

I'm curious what sort of block strings people are using. From the reading I've done, most of the time phrases like "apply pressure" or "once you land a hit you've been fishing for..." and the like, but are there any optimal blockstrings Labrys can more or less rely on?

I regularly reference the combo thread for what to do once I've confirmed a hit, but do y'all have any advice on getting to that state faster/safer?

for me anyway, its mostly stagger pressure, or poking with high reward 'mixup' like 1 hit 214x, 2a xn into AoA, iad j.b, throw, and 22x series at a safe spacing.

if im in their face, its 2a or 5a (5a xn or 5a5b) staggers. 2a is easy confirm into sweep into oki, 5a is confirm into sweep, small combo for axe meter, big combo for damage if im at red or something

but basically if they are really patient and really safe, its hard to peel em open. but the axe normals do chip, and build you gauge on block, so its a wash i guess?

i find it to be less of you getting the hit, as its more of you punishing their mistake then riding the momentum.

i find it to be less of you getting the hit, as its more of you punishing their mistake then riding the momentum.

It's mostly this. If the other player is patient enough, Labrys' mixup can be blocked with relative ease unless she burns 50 meter or has her opponent cornered (and even then, 50 meter helps her mixup a lot).

It's mostly this. If the other player is patient enough, Labrys' mixup can be blocked with relative ease unless she burns 50 meter or has her opponent cornered (and even then, 50 meter helps her mixup a lot).

level 1 trick with 50 meter for mixup being whatever into 214a, rc the first hit, then go into...

2a, to get sweep and oki

throw, because the OMC icon is covering a ton of your shit

AoA, for that double high mixup

roll, if your opponent shows that he will dp to the OMC happening, not the move you are doing

Those were all really helpful answers! I've mostly been looking for openings and poking from there, but that doesn't always help while I have them blocking. A lot of the above suggestions look like they'll be pretty simple to begin working into my pressure game. Thanks a lot, y'all =D <3

That's part of the reason I like Labrys-- Her pressure is very basic, and it's hard to disrespect her because of basic staggers and her range. You don't have too many fancy ways to mix them up, especially without meter, or cover DPs without just a clean read, so you just slowly chip them with your normals and wait for them to mess up or get impatient.