Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NickExtreme1

[P4A] Labrys - Gameplay Discussion

So, I've finally had time to play this game some.

You guys may remember me from BB, I'm pretty sure i will wind up with Labrys, she's the most fun character by a long shot.

Oh get this viper player out of here

You can't mash ex siesmo in this game :3

Oh get this viper player out of here

You can't mash ex siesmo in this game :3

You clearly don't know which game I came from.

Are there any options Labrys has that shuts down both rolling and DPing off of sweep/guillotine enders? Stuff like sweep -> jump over late j.B beats most DPs but it doesn't seem to catch rolls, unless I'm just waiting too long or need to airturn.

have you tried jump back late j.a/j.c?

would air block dps, might catch rolls on recovery. but its 100% a call out move. just a thought

Goddamnit Toan, this is your fault. Now I'm testing out Labrys. Soon they'll be a growing Labrys army. \o-o/

I'm kidding. Hi guys.

You clearly don't know which game I came from.

I know im jus kidding but its cool your playing labrys. Your gonna have to get used to having a garbage reversal tho so have fun with that.

oy been off the grind a few days.

need to get back on it.

any cool vids recently? its hard to find worthwhile labby vods.

I wasn't really feeling Naoto or Aigis, so I started messing around in training mode with Labrys and lost track of time. I think I've found a new main. I'm already at that point where I'm watching her combo videos during breaks and filtering out what I want to use. Things I like about Labrys:

1) Red axe D super makes me chuckle

2) j.b hitbox = ambiguous crossups for days

3) Spikes remind me of F-Akiha flame pillars in mbaa so the whole "22a + hold any button to release" felt really natural to me

And most importantly, her accent is so endearing I can't help but smile. Ponytail, red eyes, seifuku-wearing seito kaichou, tragic past, humongous weapon, overly trusting and naive - it all checks out as vital components for the perfect robot girl. Atlus/Arcsys may be getting a little too good at this. They got me good, that's for sure.

I wasn't really feeling Naoto or Aigis, so I started messing around in training mode with Labrys and lost track of time. I think I've found a new main. I'm already at that point where I'm watching her combo videos during breaks and filtering out what I want to use. Things I like about Labrys:

1) Red axe D super makes me chuckle

2) j.b hitbox = ambiguous crossups for days

3) Spikes remind me of F-Akiha flame pillars in mbaa so the whole "22a + hold any button to release" felt really natural to me

And most importantly, her accent is so endearing I can't help but smile. Ponytail, red eyes, seifuku-wearing seito kaichou, tragic past, humongous weapon, overly trusting and naive - it all checks out as vital components for the perfect robot girl. Atlus/Arcsys may be getting a little too good at this. They got me good, that's for sure.

Yep, that's how I got to learning her too since yesterday. Bounced from Aigis to Elizabeth. Felt they were too hard so I tried Shadow Labrys. Started doing okay but wasn't feeling her. Switched to Yukiko. Liked her zoning but felt she wasn't a strong main. Tried Labrys, haven't look back since yesterday.

It's fun. A nice change of pace from Lambda and Dizzy. Sort of reminds me of my Fiona's neutral game in AH3.

That probably didn't help you at all

Nope.

I think you'll need to put it in terms of star wars and Legos.

It just feels like jB is all she can do sometimes.

Nope.

I think you'll need to put it in terms of star wars and Legos.

It just feels like jB is all she can do sometimes.

Have you tried using spikes? They are nice. You're gonna to pretty much have to fight your way in. Drop a spike, move forward, see what the opponent is doing, do the smart thing to counter what they are doing, rinse and repeat until you are in.

Labrys doesn't really have a go to ground move for neutral like Mitsuru or Yu so we have to make the best use of our A moves, 2B and sweep to get the knockdown.

And 236A/B > 6 > A seems to be plus on block, but only stops characters like Labrys and Yukiko from mashing. Characters like Chie and Akihiko can jab out before we can do anything after it. But its an option to get in quickly I guess.

Oh right there that sweep thing. That can be useful too haha

Labrys's rocket punch is :psyduck:'s on whiff so...I would hardly say this is useful in neutral. It's good in pressure though.

And 236A/B > 6 > A seems to be plus on block, but only stops characters like Labrys and Yukiko from mashing. Characters like Chie and Akihiko can jab out before we can do anything after it. But its an option to get in quickly I guess.

based on my netplay experiences, the idea seems to be that you DP after this move for BIG PLAYS.

But her neutral game seems fairly lacking. I've taken to double jumping around a lot, pressing jB, and sometimes using j214A to bait and punish 2B. A lot of it seems to just be waiting for the right opportunity to get in.

Her neutral game largely relies on defensive spacing and trying to find a chance to approach without getting stuffed. When that opportunity arises, you go in and start pressuring as hard as you can, hah.

Every tool has uses in certain matchups, but her only universally used neutral tools are j.B, 5A, 2A, and 2B. The rest, including 22x and 5C, are more character specific. Doesn't make them any less important, though.

Don't forget air throw and ground throw are pretty gdlk, by the by, especially near the corners.

Her neutral game in 4 phrases.

1: Patience.

2: Defensive until you get momentum.

3: Do your best to never let momentum go if you get it.

4: Don't do dumb autopiloty shit too often.

Her normals are big, so you can throw them out and make your opponent think about their approach, but so much of her shit can be punished on a call-out/fast reaction that you need to be careful. Despite her obnoxious j.b, her neutral is honestly better on the ground, because j.b can get stuffed a lot easier because of AA normals.

Basically, if you play stupid, you'll probably have a bad time vs most the cast. Play smart, play patient, and take opportunities given to you. You'll do fine.

TL:DR = Pretend its Chun Li in SF4. Best comparsion honestly to how you might want to play her in neutral.

Chun can afford the patience because the other character has to respect her normals.

I just don't feel 5A gets us that much respect.

Once you land that sweep though, things improve a lot.

Use neutral jump j.B and stuff to keep people from approaching haphazardly. It'll get you at least a bit of respect. 5A isn't good for getting your opponent to respect your spacing. 22x/5C/5D can be useful, too, but only if you have them a bit respectful already, or they'll just run in and smack you.

22x/5C/5D can be useful, too, but only if you have them a bit respectful already, or they'll just run in and smack you.

This soooooo much.

5A isn't good for getting your opponent to respect your spacing.

From my experiences 5A just makes people annoyed...esp when they get hit by it. I have yet to fight someone that really "respects" it per se

Chun can afford the patience because the other character has to respect her normals.

I just don't feel 5A gets us that much respect.

Once you land that sweep though, things improve a lot.

labrys 5B, j.b, and 2B command some respect. 5A doesnt. its a good jab, but its not that solid. if your go to neutral is 5A, try to mix in the other normals more often.

2B is a good Anti-air.

But as a general neutral tool, both 2B and 5B are way to slow on startup and recovery for me to feel comfortable with. Are they useless, no, but I just don't think they are that good for anything in neutral, and that's a part of why you don't see many of the japanese Labrys' using them that often.