Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NickExtreme1

[P4A] Labrys - Gameplay Discussion

I play a bunch of characters very competently in SFxT, but everyone decided they hate that game for some dumb reason.

Last I checked, "it's a bad game" isn't exactly a dumb reason.

Anyway, I'm gonna do some testing with Labrys' 214214C/D later today. I used it against a Narukami player who tried to reversal it with Cross Slash, but lost out. I don't know if it's because Labrys' invuln lasts longer than it seems or if Cross Slash's just doesn't last until the active frames (although I am fairly certain it's the latter) and it's probably not worth much, but it's made me curious to see if anything besides IK beats it.

inb4 Tari beats me to it.

tari's da god, he will beat you to it regardless

Tari is based Labrys tech god. I'll test it out and come back with my findings, only for him to have already posted that he found out twice as much as I did.

"it's a bad game" isn't a reason though it's just something people started repeating. Most people don't even know why they are saying its a bad game.

Also, the gear super has a ton of invul frames, but also the gears are a projectile. So there is a chance that cross slash is part projectile, but I doubt it.

"it's a bad game" isn't a reason though it's just something people started repeating. Most people don't even know why they are saying its a bad game.

Yes. Just because a game is "bad" or "stupid" or "broken" does not mean you should not play it. I personally don't like SFxT not because I think it's "bad", but because I don't have fun when I play it. I think that's the key that people miss when they dismiss a game (especially one they have never played personally).

That would be funny if cross slash did have projectile property, but that would mean Yukiko can DP through it or Mojuu will eat it

All right, just got done with each character.

214214C/D will beat:

Narukami - Cross Slash

Chie - Agneyastra

Yukiko - Agidyne

Kanji - Both supers

Teddie - Missile super [Also, although it won't beat his Awakening super, you recover early enough to avoid it]

Naoto - Raid~Critical Shot (her Hazama-esque super)

Mitsuru - Both pre-Awakening supers

Aigis - 214214C/D (her Awakening super; the one where she shoots a spear upwards)

Labrys - BI [The super armor will protect her for the whole super, but you can easily jump or roll it before the attack actually comes out, leaving her open to punish]

Shadow Labrys - 236236A/B (the one where Asterius punches the screen) and BI

Elizabeth - Memento Mori

Almost everything else trades with it. Labrys' own 236236C/D, however, will beat it and if both Labrys players use 214214C/D, the first one who used it will be at a disadvantage. Aegis' shield charge will go right through it and land her behind Labrys, allowing her to punish it. Naoto's 236236A, of course, raises her high enough off the ground and far enough to punish. Yukiko will get hit during Maragidyne, but Labrys will still find herself on the other side of the screen and teching after Yukiko does.

Guuuuuuys my first XBL online ranbat finished, and a few of our labrys brethren entered.

I'll post a link to the archives when i have one, if you wanna see me, icecoldcombo, or tecta1eastside. i think we all hit the stream at least once

results: http://challonge.com/dlxblpersona1

it was fun. tecta is great, and ice shoulda went further than he did imo.

Least favorite matchups: Yosuke/Chie/Yu

Favorite matchups: Kanji/Liz/Mitsuru

Yosuke is annoying because his B+D is waaaaay too good; with Chie and Yu it's basically get knocked down > get thrown in block string prison > lose.

Kanji is really fun since there's a lot of risk taking on both sides with very painful punishment. Liz is fun since it feels like figuring out a puzzle. Mitsuru is fun since it has that "uphill battle" feel; it's really satisfying to win knowing that you clearly outplayed her since her tools and options are better than Labrys' in pretty much every category.

For me, SFxT is a bad game because its hitboxes are awful. Super inaccurate hitboxes are a big pet peeve of mine in FGs, and I predicted they'd be kinda jacked up since it's made by Ono and the SF4 team (a game which had arguably the worst hitboxes in popular FG history).

My friend bought it day one, went into training mode, and did Sagat's s.MP on a crouching Poison. Even though his fist cleared her head by a good two feet, it still connected. After seeing my suspicions confirmed, I thought, "Yep, I'm good."

only thing i have to say on sfxt is

1: char love for hwoarang. i played him solo, and fuck my partner, i think i used like... sagat for easy 400 dmg combos lol

2: it was bad design all over the place, lets take cammy jab for example

3 frame normal, +7 on fucking block

THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT

there is no 3 frame normal that's +7 on block, it just doesn't exist. And that jab thing was week one crap that everyone overreacted to. But this is beside the point. Hitboxes are silly though. To be fair, MvC3, SF4, P4 are all games with pants on head stupid hitboxes.

Anyways regarding super punishment.

It's really hard for me to come up with a situation where stuffing a super with 214214D would be the ideal choice.

thats what the frame data they published said, but that could be inaccurate, their guides are fucking notorious for that shit lol, but like you said, beside the point - it was a reasonably fun game, just wish it was more solid across the board. juggle mechanic, hitboxes, frame data, damage output, combo scaling, just everything was a little off to me

and i read the 214214c/d test as two things

1: your doing nothing during super flash, what does 214214c/d beat

2: you did 214214c/d, what supers punish it done on the super flash

not sure which, but if its #1, its useful to know.

For what it's worth I don't think Yosuke can do much about just running up and doing 214214D. It's been very useful in that matchup. Kinda like a makeshift meatball super.

Cammy's jab is +4 on block. Always has been, but she doesn't have anything else really to hurt you with, so it's a minor point in the matchup. I really don't mind that people don't like it, but the "bad game" thing gets on my nerves. Especially when 99% of the people who say it don't know what they are talking about.

if yosuke doesnt BLOCK 214214c/d, he can ex run thru it and murder you for free.

might be able to do on reaction, dunno when it gets its projectile invul.

if yosuke doesnt BLOCK 214214c/d, he can ex run thru it and murder you for free.

might be able to do on reaction, dunno when it gets its projectile invul.

He won't get the projectile invul until he actually dashes, so at the very least, whatever projectile's right in his face is gonna land.

Asides, if he does any dash whatsoever against 214214C/D, you both get counterhit.

weird

he ran at me, i did 214214c, he jumped back, it whiffed, he did ex run, ran thru 214214c, CH me for a 3k combo to kill me

never did a 214214c i thought might whiff since.

wonder why that happened then. o.O

weird

he ran at me, i did 214214c, he jumped back, it whiffed, he did ex run, ran thru 214214c, CH me for a 3k combo to kill me

never did a 214214c i thought might whiff since.

wonder why that happened then. o.O

Everytime I tested it out, Yosuke was always counter along with Labrys because the gears lingered.

Did the Yosuke that ran through your gears do a Persona Break?

Timing probably.

Ill take a trade with gears any day. With 100 heat and maybe a burst stocked, that's loads of damage.

maybe it was near the tail end of gears then, so it wasnt active, cant recall if it broke my persona

if it happens again ill save replay and let you know exactly why

If Yosuke's at neutral during the superflash, he can just backdash if you do a far wheel super, or roll if you do a near wheel super. Or, you know, just jump.

As far as EX Kill Rush goes, he can do it late during the wheel super and persona break Labrys. He'll trade with one hit of the wheel at worst, but his normals are all faster than Labrys', so he wins on that trade anyway.

i was like 'the fuck happened to our combo thread!'

its still in the archives for reference, whew!

should we discuss non-optimal/swag/more difficult combo(and combo theory) in the intro combo thread, in the general, or make a new one? figure tari/setsuna/setari tag team have a plan for this ^^

lemme know ^^

You can still discuss it in the Intro Combo Thread, theres going to be an "Advanced Combo Thread" in the works (by Tari) soon mainly consisting of various Red Axe combos.

Well if its for intro players, i think it might be a better idea to not cluster it with shit that new players shouldnt be trying/shouldnt be worrying about/garbage swag combos that are for funsies only

thats all i was thinking