Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RadRed

[P4A] Teddie - Gameplay Discussion

@jacope. puppet teddie is really good when you're paralyzed. if you're playing against narukami, you can do run up puppet teddie (a-version) and it'll actually beat out his dp. if you use the b-version you get to hear a lolzy scream whether you hit them or not. another reset you can try with the circus teddie is to do your basic 2b j.a j.236a j.236236c, but then not hit them with the explosion of the missile, activate circus teddie before they hit the ground and even good players will tech into circus teddie every time. i won a tourney match with this reset actually ;P

@sowl. teddie's jump in is pretty strong with j.b/j.a but if you're obvious he's really easy to anti-air because he's a floaty character. if you vary up your movement with jump forward airdash backward with only occasional airdashes forward, you will most likely be anti-aired less often

Another question about the general gameplay: should I try and keep the item that can be used for setups instead of throwing it away and cycling for some item that's better (a barrel, meteors, etc)? I'm watching that latest video from the video thread, and it has some stuff that I never expected to work, like landing your opponent on a Muscle Drink. So, if I do get a Muscle Drink, will I regret it if I toss it away for nothing?

To follow up on my point about reversals, I just noticed that 22A+B allows you to move. This can be very good, I'm gonna try it next time.

So how are you guys opening people up? It feels like all the opponent has to do is press downback and throwtech every now and again. Mind you the pressure is amazing, its the mix-up that's throwing me for a loop.

@SoWL

Its really up to playstyle. Like I'll generally throw out the brahman and soda as quickly as possible and try to hang onto the ice because its so useful if I do confirm a hit.

Also I don't think 22A+B is worth the meter imo. Might be worth looking into though if it gives some sort of invuln(either throw/normal) as you can land a poke really fast as he inflates.

If they are holding down back, tick throw them and combo off of it. Make them think twice.

So how are you guys opening people up? It feels like all the opponent has to do is press downback and throwtech every now and again. Mind you the pressure is amazing, its the mix-up that's throwing me for a loop.

Teddie has very very little high low mix up. So make use of j.A and j.B, rolls, air turn around, and item setups for really ambiguous cross ups (and I guess AoA too). j.A generally you don't even have to try to make it cross up... just airdash at them and do it. I also do falling j.A a lot because it'll sometimes cross them up and sometimes not. It's pretty strong.

I'm assuming you guys can't watch vids on Nico, then you'd see the usefulness of 22A+B for opening people who downback all day...I'll try and transcribe the stuff from the vid, but I'm going to a session later. Maybe if Fubar sees it he can do it if he wants.

hmm i watched the vid with the 22ab oki setups but i dont really understand. they iad turn jd charge item throw.... does charged item throw hit them? why cant they just uppercut or something

Sent from my SGH-T999V using Tapatalk 2

hmm i watched the vid with the 22ab oki setups but i dont really understand. they iad turn jd charge item throw.... does charged item throw hit them? why cant they just uppercut or something

Sent from my SGH-T999V using Tapatalk 2

They can uppercut, the item throw does not hit. The point is to mix the opponent up with Kintoki-Douji still being out while using the invulnerability and movement of 22A+B. You can even see at one point in the video Yu does his DP and breaks Kintoki only to get Fatal Countered by 2C during his recovery.

Neat never noticed that the item twirl actually had a hitbox.

Yeah, that's why the enemy would still be in block stun while you hold D. Sorry for not explaining that in my last post.

That is quite dirty... Thanks for the look HardBread. I've known the wind-up to item throw has a hitbox but not multiple hits lol...

This is really weird. I've seen more Teddie players in ~1/2 hour of Big Two #40 than I did in ~8 hours worth of various Cali tournaments.

I play Faust and Arakune, can I into Kuma?

You may bear-dance with us. You'll ease right into Kuma as a Faust player; he's a bit simpler but I think you'll enjoy the items not being random.

Researched the startup on Teddie's moves using that method in the general discussion section.

5A- 5

2A- 5

j.A- 7

5B- 12

2B- 9

j.B- 8

236A- 8

236B- 21

236AB- 18

214A- 14

214B - 24

214AB- 27

236C- 13

236D- 14

236CD- 25

Feel free to do it yourself to check it out, I may not be right (I hope not) on some of these.

edit: this is all wrong, ignore this post :>

Didn't bother checking the rest of it, but 5A is definitely 7 frames of startup. The move starts on frame one and goes active on frame 7, hence 7 frames of startup. The numbers we have for 5A/2A on the wiki are actually from Arcadia, by the by, so unless they're outdated, they should be accurate. I believe most of the 5A/2A info has been double-checked by other players, as well.

Didn't bother checking the rest of it, but 5A is definitely 7 frames of startup. The move starts on frame one and goes active on frame 7, hence 7 frames of startup. The numbers we have for 5A/2A on the wiki are actually from Arcadia, by the by, so unless they're outdated, they should be accurate. I believe most of the 5A/2A info has been double-checked by other players, as well.

I tried it again after this post.

My recording has it so that the first frame of startup starts on the 2nd frame (of the recording) and it makes contact on the 8th, that's 6 frames where the move doesn't hit. Do you count the first frame that the move becomes active as startup? If so then you're right it is 7 frames.

I'll be doing this over again (unless someone else wants to) to get hopefully more accurate results. It's probably just one frame off on everything except 5A.

I tried it again after this post.

My recording has it so that the first frame of startup starts on the 2nd frame (of the recording) and it makes contact on the 8th, that's 6 frames where the move doesn't hit. Do you count the first frame that the move becomes active as startup? If so then you're right it is 7 frames.

I'll be doing this over again (unless someone else wants to) to get hopefully more accurate results.

Yes, startup is counted from the first frame of the move up to and including the first active frame.

I love that 22A/B/AB doesn't get hit by at least Yu's DP.

I would assume it's the same for all actual DP furious actions.

It seems like 22A has faster startup than 22B. Was this general knowledge?