Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RadRed

[P4A] Teddie - Gameplay Discussion

I don't know how much you guys have been fiddling with the Dry Ice unblockable reset in the corner yourselves, but I have been a lot in the time that I was away with no internet access. I'm about 95% sure it works every character except Kanji.

The hitbox on Kintoki-Douji's item throw animation actually hits Kanji instead of whiffing which causes him to tech before anything else can be done. It's unfortunate considering he has the most life in the game, but alas.

What are you even supposed to do against pressure? Maybe it's because I don't have a lot of experience but it feels like he doesn't have many defense options other than his DP, and his Puppeteddie can only really dodge moves if you do them preemptively.

Block, instant block and punish unsafe stuff, Teddie Decoy, Guard Cancel Attack with 50 SP.

That's it really.

Evasive action is good, but I don't really trust it since you can be grabbed out of it. Especially not against Kanji.

Since it's dead here, I figure I should post some information in case it's relevant. In that particular combo video, the dry ice unblockable reset is actually very legit and will kill someone if that someone has the misfortune to be caught in it without a burst. :v:

I talked with Spark about it and he did some testing. Apparently, when you're hit by the AoA, you're put in a weird sort of stun where you can only choose to block or not block. Except you're raged so the only option is to die (or burst at the beginning of the reset to save yourself). It's superior to prior dry ice resets because once they're raged, you have to freeze them and then hit them with the AoA. And, depending on the character they can possibly avoid the ice, DP/roll, or burst. However, in that version you combo into the AoA and it uncombos by itself. So whoever gets hit by it is pretty much screwed.

So yeah. If you ever want to completely ruin someone's day, this setup is highly recommended.

i think this specific reset only works on a 5a or 5b counter starter though (or j.c/5c ...aka really good starters)?? they seem to tech the dry ice too early on a 2a or grab starter so all i can get is a regular aoa, instead of the second hit of the aoa being the reset.

has spark ... or anyone for that matter... been able to get this specific reset (2nd hit of aoa reset) off grab/2a?

also, are we SURE that you can't dp or super it?

Since the proration on the dry ice is so bad, it would make sense for it to not work on 2A or throw. However, in those situations it would work like a normal dry ice + rage AoA reset, just a bit easier since they should be already frozen. In that case, you just do the AoA wait for it to uncombo and then the follow up.

And yes, very sure. You should try it out in training mode. Once hit by an AoA you're in a state where you can only choose to block or not block. However, if you're raged then blocking isn't an option. The only options are burst or die.

Just starting to learn Teddie; I'm really bad with combos. Can anyone give me any tips on getting 5.C->2B->SJ.C to connect near the corner? Can't seem to get the SJ.C to combo. I can do it off the 5B, but I'd like to learn the optimal combo...

any help would be appreciated.

2 questions. They are probably dumb, but this thread is pretty dead anyway so I figure I might as well ask.

1. When should I be using 2C? Teddies FC 2C combos are pretty dope, but I'm having a hard time knowing when to throw it out. I sometimes do 5B->5C->2C with a small delay between 5C and 2C to catch people trying to punish the 5C, but it only feels like a good idea every once and a while.

2. What should I do after a successful B+D counter? For some reason I am terrible at capitalizing off of this situation, and often feel like everything is risky even though they are the one that is raged.

Obviously I need some game sense that will only coming from more experience, but right now I feel like I'm thinking about these situations incorrectly and would love a few ideas to get my brain going.

P.S. - Is it common knowledge yet that Teddie's counter gets him out of Chie's and Yu's standard okizeme game for basically free? They seem to have no way to punish, even if they don't get hit directly. You can essentially just watch for the persona to start its attack and counter it on reaction to avoid the incoming mixup.

It really depends. Like for example, if Yu's a retard and you block his DP, you can 2C him while he's in the air. You shouldn't 2C him while he's near the ground since you can possibly get hit by Ziodyne. Also, if people are above you and pressing buttons in general, it's not a bad idea... especially in situations where they airtech and are either fear or raged.

As for B+D, it depends. You can do whatever you want. Just don't get too over anxious to hit them just because they're raged because you're more likely to put yourself in a bad situaion. Since they're raged, you can hit them whenever you feel like it and it's they who have to be defensive. Take this time to throw more items, scare them with Teddie Vision, or wait for them to hit a button and 5B them, or you can even be super mean and throw Tomahawk at them.

And yes, it is kind of well known that Teddie is a jerk.

2 questions.

P.S. - Is it common knowledge yet that Teddie's counter gets him out of Chie's and Yu's standard okizeme game for basically free? They seem to have no way to punish, even if they don't get hit directly. You can essentially just watch for the persona to start its attack and counter it on reaction to avoid the incoming mixup.

against yu yes...but chie can bait it pretty easily by sending out the persona intentionally early and have its hits end right as you wake up to bait your dp out. be careful against chie

also, after the dp you really arent at that much at an advantage. in fact mitsuru can still 5a you afterward even on hit. if your dp doesn't hit them directly, then you must block afterward if they are close to you because you have recovery and they don't. remember that if they try to attack you while you're invulnerable (shaking your finger at them hehehe), you can punish the recovery of their whiffed move

Obviously the thing that you should do after B+D is another B+D :v:

Obviously the thing that you should do after B+D is another B+D :v:

honestly,.......i do it sometimes......

and so does souji...so it must be legit ;)

oh, and ps. 2c is obviously his best punishing move, but i do a lot of 2c gimmicks, and if you work at it you'll find some good ones. two examples: 1) if yosuke is abusing his little dive over your head, 2c him! ;) 2) if chie is mashing dp, you can do something like 2a 2c or 5aa 2c and you'll get a FC (2a 2c actually won a tournament match for me against a solid player)

Where the Teddies at? Dave you ever netplay? Should let me watch you or something. Just picked up the game and Teddie, but having a difficult time.

;_; Probably doesn't help I keep wanting him to be like Rachel.

all the rachels picked up elizabeth. the only thing teddie has that reminds me of rachel is floatiness and terrible reversal options

are we still friends on psn? i don't remember seeing u online for a while...u could just add me or whatever. i'll inv you if i'm in a room, but most of the socal ppl are offline at this point, especially for this game. i actually had to wipe the dust off my stick yesterday it had been so long since i played. :/

i don't remember seeing u online for a while...

I was off my PS3 for 2 months, and just got back and have the game. My difficulty comes in playing neutral with Teddie and his lack of high/low. Friend mains Aigis and Im just getting all kinds of ass whooped.

Any help from other Teddie mains would be awesome too. This place seems, sadly, kind of barren.

Huh. I play Teddie because he reminds me a lot of Rachel. 5B is a better 6B. 2B works a lot like 6A. And he has multiple things that can work as a pumpkin (though not as good except for a few items). And yeah, he is kind of floaty and you trade the instant overhead + wind tech for unblockables, good jump ins, and not cat chair. But... a lot of the idea is the same. You play between rush down and zoning depending on the match up and you go for knockdown into throw something at them.