Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RadRed

[P4A] Teddie - Q&A Thread

aqhFk.png

Questions about Teddie? Ask them here and myself or others will answer them to the best of our ability. Don't be shy now.

Is it safe to say that one should play Teddie as you would Platinum?

The item setups are stupid, I believe I saw Souji(?) play Teddie and had that shock set up after launching the missile at the opponent.

The short answer is no, like Biscuits said. The only similarities between Platinum and Teddie are that they use items. Nothing else really. The way each characters' item system works is entirely different also.

Platinum's items are randomly generated between a set of six. That's ignoring the powered up versions she gets from Miracle Jeanne which would bring the count up to 12. Teddie has 13 different items that are in a set sequential order that go back to the first after the last item is thrown. The way you use them is plenty different too, but that would take a while to explain and would be better suited to a real Platinum player.

2A/5A starters (2A for close range, 5A a little further away). 5B is your best friend for far poking/CH fishing especially if your opponent is closer to the corner. 2B is great for anti-air and can be jc'd. 2C for fatal, if it whiffs and your opponent is in the air do 2B, if they block that jc it. Kuma is about confirming hits to get either a missile combo or safe item throw; oki strength varies depending on what item you can throw, short hop A is really good for pressure if you space it correctly. Watch match vids, most of the good Kumas play similar for the most part.

Thanks will keep this in mind once I get the game

By any chance you....or anyone else know how the ailments work during combos?

The only one's I can see being used in combo are the frozen status and rage, should be obvious how those work.

Just remember what Item is coming next and if it causes an ailment keep that in mind and work it into your combo or strat. For ice just be close enough to continue your combo; for Rage your next move is unblockable, so keep that in mind.

Teddie's strongest ailments are Rage (muscle drink and SB Puppeteddie) and Fear (B Puppeteddie). But, he can make use of Shock (the lightning item), Freeze (dry ice item), and Confusion (meteors). He has access to Poison too (Puppeteddie A and Mystery Food X), but I'm not really sure why you'd go for that when Fear and Rage are way better. From what I know... status ailments don't add to damage besides Poison (though the damage taken off from Poison seems not worth it) and Fear for Fatal Counter opportunity or unless you have a good setup where you can Rage yourself and combo right after (while Raged, you inflict more damage but can't block). There are some combos that actually allow you to give the opponent both Fear and Rage for maximum sadness.

I've got a question, why the hell is this character named Teddie? I find it odd that this character is the ONLY character who had his name altered for a US release. This characters name is clearly Kuma(which is just Japanese for Bear). Like I could understand Berry or something but Teddy makes no freakin sense at all. Did they think Bear or Kuma wasn't cute enough or something stupid like that?

I've got a question, why the hell is this character named Teddie? I find it odd that this character is the ONLY character who had his name altered for a US release. This characters name is clearly Kuma(which is just Japanese for Bear). Like I could understand Berry or something but Teddy makes no freakin sense at all. Did they think Bear or Kuma wasn't cute enough or something stupid like that?

Teddie as in teddy bear?

Pretty much this.

The character's design was based off of a stuffed animal and/or teddy bear in the first place so it's kind of a "Why not?" more than anything else.

Pretty much this.

The character's design was based off of a stuffed animal and/or teddy bear in the first place so it's kind of a "Why not?" more than anything else.

I'm not a Persona fan at all I just happened to do some research on the game and found this out and was very confused. Is he really based on a Teddie bear? I guess I didn't catch that part of the story when I was reading up on him. All I know is his name is Kuma and every time he says something he constantly adds Kuma randomly in his sentences. Still think if you are gonna make an attempt at turning Kuma into an American name Berry would be a far better choice but whatever.

I got a question. Challenge 27 proving to be weird to me. when I get to the first jump A then Jump b, I can't do the second jump A. I'm not sure why, I press forward when I do B but then just bounces and that's it. Am I missing something here?

Edit: Forget what i said I retract my statement. i notice he had to fall a little before the next jump B....which is weird. In his falling arc, when you do jump B he won't bounce i guess?

You don't do j.A chain into j.B you have to link j.B after j.A. So that after you do j.B you can do j.A. Since you can only gatling j.A > j.B or j.B > j.A, but not j.A > j.B > j.A.

I've been having trouble getting the same j.a after j.b. On the next challenge I can't get the missle to connect from the tv. It's 236 c then 236236 d

On the next challenge I can't get the missle to connect from the tv. It's 236 c then 236236 d

Actually in the challenge it's 236D into C missile. In order to get it to hit you have to hold the button and detonate the missile manually (timing is right when the missile gets in front of the opponent.).

I know that this is not the match up thread but, how are you guys currently dealing with Chie and Akihiko? Im currently having a ton of trouble with both of them and have became my most hated match ups.

Pretty simple question here. I notice most air combos seem to end with j.b instead of 235 a or b. is their any reason for this? It does less damage and it seems like your opponent recovers faster so they can negate pressure easier. Am I missing something here?

I believe one of the reasons would be because they end the combo with j.b so they can use j.d for item oki. Granted, this isn't always the case, but it's one of the main reason teddie players do j.b.

Pretty simple question here. I notice most air combos seem to end with j.b instead of 235 a or b. is their any reason for this? It does less damage and it seems like your opponent recovers faster so they can negate pressure easier. Am I missing something here?

It all really depends on what you want for oki and you best positioning or what you really value more. If you get a combo and your corned you can end the combo short and end it with 236 and not b to get out of the corner and put the opponent there. It all depends on what item you have next and where you wanna be on oki.

Q1: Does this character sub-forum have a moderator?

Q2: Does anyone with actual skillz at the game have any inclination to start matchup discussion threads?