Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RadRed

[P4A] Teddie - Q&A Thread

It does, but not really sure where he went to. I don't really feel like I have enough experience to do match up or offense/defensive write ups (which is why those sections of the Teddie wiki are blank for now- and by the way if anyone wants to fill them out, feel free to do so), but I wouldn't mind setting them up. If anything, I'm at least pretty okay at organizing information.

I got a question. Challenge 27 proving to be weird to me. when I get to the first jump A then Jump b, I can't do the second jump A. I'm not sure why, I press forward when I do B but then just bounces and that's it. Am I missing something here?

Edit: Forget what i said I retract my statement. i notice he had to fall a little before the next jump B....which is weird. In his falling arc, when you do jump B he won't bounce i guess?

This challenge is easy after u get the trick to it.

Just jump and press jA abit slower then press jB jA.

I got stuck on 29 for like 2 hrs....

How many times in a given match should I throw out an object? I notice I don't throw items out regularly...

Personally, I say throw as much items as you can. However, for certain items that you know will help you change the tide of the fight, or if you want to be cautious of using the next item in his cycle because it's the "one you need", do it whenever the situation seems the most favorable. Teddie's item game is (mostly) situational, be sure to remember and capitalize on that fact alone.

Q1: Does this character sub-forum have a moderator?

It does, but not really sure where he went to.

It does? I don't see one anywhere. I hope you aren't talking about me. I just try and help out as much as I can.

Lately I've been busy with work and the lack of internet access has left me unable to post frequently. I have been playing the game tho'. I got some new combos to put up as well as a lot of other stuff to do to make up for lost time.

Q2: Does anyone with actual skillz at the game have any inclination to start matchup discussion threads?

I hardly believe I qualify, but I could try.

Should I ever use 5C and Puppeteddie outside of combos? Both feel a bit clunky and inferior to 5B.

And what is Teddie's best way of approaching zoners like Yukiko and Naoto? For now, I usually go for the usual jump-ins, sometimes mixing it up with lucky BD catches and SP TV sets. Is there anything else? Should I stop using something I do?

Should I ever use 5C and Puppeteddie outside of combos? Both feel a bit clunky and inferior to 5B.

And what is Teddie's best way of approaching zoners like Yukiko and Naoto? For now, I usually go for the usual jump-ins, sometimes mixing it up with lucky BD catches and SP TV sets. Is there anything else? Should I stop using something I do?

You should. Both of those moves have their uses outside combos as well.

As for what to do against zoners, that's generally the same gameplan I run, along with using items. So I can't really say much for this question.

I played a Yosuke player just now and j.C hit him a lot. It's good against people who like to randomly airdash, but if they mash, you can take persona hits like crazy.

What are some true blockstrings with Kuma other than AA (no delay) 5B?

I thought AA 5B 2AB was one, but I got mashed on by a kanji... it didn't end well...

I don't consider 5C and jC to be the same moves, actually. The reason I didn't mention jC is that I do recognize its air-to-air potential. However, 5C doesn't seem to be as useful, hence my question.

After reading the wiki, I can see some uses for Puppeteddie at neutral, even if it's similar to a simple 5B after a backdash. I wish you could choose whether to backdash or not, since the attack's great range is severely reduced by that.

5c is good after 5b in a block string to bait mashing. (Can follow up with 2c to hit their jump or mash after too)

Puppeteddie is really useful when u're paralyzed.

As for 5b, i might be misinterpreting ur problem, but sometimes i cancel it into 22a just in case it counter hits I can still run forward relatively quickly while not immediately dash cancelling forward which can be unsafe on block

I have no problems with 5B, I love it, perhaps even too much. The rest of your post is great, I gonna try that against our Kanji.

5C helps with ground based item positioning since you can cancel it into 5D or 2D and the item will be thrown from that position. Also if you have Dry Ice next in the sequence you can confirm any 5C, 2C or j.C into a combo even when it's not on counter hit. Gotta love Dry Ice.

Just some things to keep in mind.

Once it's completely active i think Teddie's C moves are pretty good. Just make sure you have the correct spacing and they can be used to your advantage.

Does Teddie have any problematic match ups, and if so why?

I'm not sure if he has any bad matchups, but personally, I dislike fighting Yousuke: his speed and movement options let him get in on Teddie more easily than any other character. If the Yousuke player can do the fastfall technique very fast, then imo it's very hard to keep him out. Also, his 2B prevents Teddie from using IADs in pressure strings: it always wins. (It's possible to bait this with a normal jump, though.) Lastly, he's one of the 3 characters that can't be safe-jumped.

Chie can also be difficult but she's slower, she can't always use her oki setup, and she can be safe-jumped, so even though she's higher tier I'm not sure if she's a harder matchup than Yousuke.

I don't have a lot of experience against Mitsuru or Aigis but I imagine they'll be two of his harder matchups for the same reasons they're good against everyone else: 5A and Orgia. Well, maybe not so much Aigis 'cause when Teddie is at 5B range, she can't enter Orgia, she can't use the Persona shield, and she can't use 2B (easy to punish with roll).

I don't know if Teddie has a good answer to Mitsuru's 5A and her pressure when he's cornered. At most ranges she can snipe Teddie's Persona with 5D whenever he throws an item. I think 22B has a lot of untapped potential in that matchup since afaict it ducks under most/all of Mitsuru's attacks except 2A and 2A+B (and iirc Psyken hit it with AoA somehow). In particular, it avoids throws, 5B, 5, and instant overhead j.B.

Chie is one of the easiest matchups. She has no way to get passed j.c, 5b, and 2b. And if for some reason she does, she still can't do her oki game because Teddie's dp gets him out for free. And when she finally gets meteors, Teddie can dp those too. It sucks for chie.

Japan says mitsuru is bad against Teddie but I would say it's at least 6-4 mitsuru (especially if u watch the p4u player v p3u player sets) Teddie has some good mitsuru specific things (bearscrew is an awesome dp punish cuz it's immune to a bufudyne follow up and 22a is good but is not as effective as,say, akihiko's weave....) but he has few to no options when he gets cornered and her 5d kills persona, as bill said.

Aigis is also tough but I doubt it's worse than 5.5 in aigis favor. Teddie's dp, j.a, and j.c are pretty decent against her but her persona makes it difficult for teddie to get since Teddie's items and large hit box normals all tend to activate aigis's persona

Yosuke is just not a good character. Teddie's j.b automatically baits his dp. Yosuke also has a hard time dealing with j.a. those two things make it in Teddie's favor.

Basically Teddie has good or even matchups with the whole cast except aigis/mitsuru. Teddie is a chie killing machine, and also is very good against labrys, s. labrys, and yukiko.

Hey guys, just a couple quick questions. I was wondering how viable this setup would be in an actual match. After doing a basic corner combo starter, after you 2B, you do a quick 1-2 hits of j.A followed by a j.B. You then would double jump, air turn and come down with a falling j.A. Not sure if this is a safe jump, but the falling j.A does allow you to gatling into j.C>j.D into 22B crossup stuff.

What is the optimal ender to do with meter in the corner, they all seem to have their downfalls. Not sure if I'm mistiming the missile explosions but they always seem to be able to air tech when I try to do air turn>j.D crossups or Puppetteddie B fear enders, or how prevalent SB puppetteddie enders were.

Also can someone give me the notations on comboing missiles into circus bear midscreen and corner, for the life of me I can't figure it out >_< thanks again!

Yes. The setup you mentioned is viable. Something very similar to that is actually used for corner crossups, but you can also use it mid screen.

For the B Puppeteddie into Tomahawk explosion, you have to let go of the missile just before B Puppeteddie hits. If the missile explosion hits last, you'll get knock down. If the Puppeteddie hits last, they'll air tech. This is generally easier if you do D Tomahawk as low to the ground as possible... and to get this kind of positioning, after hitting them with 5B 5C, you delay the 2B so you hit them lower. You don't have to delay it by a lot, but delaying it does help.

For Missile Explosion into Circus Bear, that generally depends. A lot of the times it will be something like Air Tomahawk [C] > D Circus Bear > ]C[. I might be wrong, but off the top of my head, I only remember being able to combo into C Circus Bear if you have the Smart Bomb available.

Hey guys I was just wondering what determines the side when teddie uses the circus bear super? Lost a couple of games online to that

edit: nvm found it lol

the point of the vanish ball is supposed to be for blind mixup, but honestly, it does almost as much harm as good, so i try to throw it out after a round is finished or in spots where it won't really do anything. however, if i'm going to use it for blind mixup, i tend to try to do invisible throws.

ps. "spots where it won't do anything" especially like throw it off the screen after 5c during a corner combo, which sets you up for yellow missile, which is a strong item summong during your next block string.

pss. @kmac the j.a after j.b air-turn "can" be a safe jump from the right spacing. however, if you're gonna do it from a height where you can j.c after it, then typically it won't be a safe-jump