Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RadRed

[P4A] Teddie - Q&A Thread

I've seen some videos of combos you can pull off when you've given your opponent fear, but are there any useful tactics (not combos) that Teddy can use when the opponent has fear?

Hey guys,

I'm having trouble when I get my opponent into the corner. The only real high/low "game" I feel like I can play is AoA and 2A's, but AoA feels too slow to be worthwhile in that context. Likewise, grabs feel far too obvious and they always get teched. I generally just AAA j.C 5B and throw in some 2A's hoping to get them in the bnb corner combo, but it feels pretty ugly and I'm sure I'd get punished badly by half decent players. I feel like Teddy has to have good pressure/block strings but I haven't been able to find a lot of info on them. Would anyone here be willing to share some corner pressure strategies?

teddie's entire mixup revolves around grabs and making the other person press buttons. if someone is always teching your grabs, you should run toward them and backstep for a full 5a punish. i guarantee if they are teching all your grabs they will get blown up by run forward -> backstep -> 5a.

I'm having far more trouble with Akihiko than I feel like I should be having... If I jump, his 2B punches through my j5A 110% of the time, and my j5B 99.99% of the time. If I stay on the ground, his 5A/2A out speed all regular attacks and out reach my 2A which feels like the only comparable speed attack I have. His Dash-punch punishes all my 5Ds and usually beats out my 5Bs. I can't really find any info on Akihiko vs Teddie so I have to assume it's not that bad and I'm just missing something? Would appreciate any advice!

if you're getting anti-aired by akihiko, or any character for that matter, you're probably not making good enough use of j.d to delay your fall and bait anti-airs. do j.d right when they would anti-air, their anti-air will whiff, and then you can j.a to punish their whiffed anti-air.

if akihiko is doing kill rush at you (the running punch attack) randomly midscreen, keep jumping and summoning items at a height that his kill rush won't hit you. when you become really familiar with the spacing of his kill rush, you can start to punish him properly when he whiffs it. in general, you should be running away and throwing items at all times in this matchup.

a good general strategy for zoning is to super jump, summon item, air turn (A+C in the air), bait the anti-air if they're trying to rush you down with air backdash so you fall quickly and still punish their whiffed anti-air with j.a.

I'm having a problem with Teddie's No 27 challenge. Specifically I'm having trouble getting the j B into the j A high in the air. I keep spiking my opponent to the ground with no opportunity for another j A. Any suggestions? I've seen this same input pattern in Teddie's AoA followups so it seem potentially useful.

(Disclaimer: I don't remember challenge 27.)

I suggest learning the AoA follow-up first. It's simple, and once you can do it, challenge 27 whatever it is should be a lot easier to figure out. Also, I can be useful this way. :P

After doing AoA and the Fatal Counter C-launch, do the following:

- hold up asap after pressing C

- press j.A early while you're still below them

- wait until j.A finishes

- wait a little bit more

- j.B j.A (2 hits) double-jump j.A (4 hits)

- end with j.B j.D or j.236A and/or a super

You've got to link j.B after j.A finishes, but you've also got to time everything before that so that you use j.B while Teddie is falling and while the opponent is higher than him.

I'm new, so i don't really have much of an idea of what i'm doing, but teddie's fun anyway. First question, in the corner should my combo enders be missile and 214b/ab when possible?

well, if you decide to use your meter on a missile super, then yea, puppeteddie is the best way to end a combo. it ends in knockdown + oki anyway.

however, in many situations, you can do 5b after the puppeteddie, and sometimes 236d after the j.214b puppeteddie, which will allow them to air tech. i use this ender often when i have yellow missile or barrel.

don't forget that if you have 125 meter, you can end in j.214ab and do tk 236236c for unblockable missile oki ;P

Thanks, my questioned was more what other alternatives, if any, would you take should you decide to not spend meter? I'm guessing it depends on what item you have coming up for unblockables or setups or w/e.

i would say in terms of using missile, it's usually a good idea to use your meter unless you're putting them barely INTO awakening. in other words, it's good to leave them just outside of awakening and save the super for killing them.

i have multiple setups for every item (setups when meter is used and when it is not used, as well as different setups for players of different styles), so if you have questions about specific items, i can be more helpful.

however, the most important item to have setups for i think is the rage can. if you have the rage can as your next item, here is what you can do:

With missile super: end your combo in d-missile super. no puppeteddie. make sure you're right next to the missile when it explodes and throw the rage can immediately after it explodes. they will tech directly into the rage.

Without missile super: end your combo either by neutral jumping then j.a j.b j.d. this will make them tech into rage, and you can iad after j.d and do j.b j.a 5a 2b sj.b free combo...after the sj.b you can do j.c and they should still be in rage for a j.c reset

IF you have lightning, you can still do rage resets in the corner. put them in block stun into lightning block stun in the same way they would tech into the rage drink. then while the lightning is shocking them, throw the rage drink and continue attacking them. if done properly the entire set of attacks will be a gapless block string into rage.

that's the gist of rage setups i think

thanks brkrdave, very helpful and i'll definitely have more questions further down the line. Just need to get the basics with the character and the game itself down first, but i like to know my best options for any given situation.

the fun thing about teddie is there really is no "best" combo for any given situation because the items can be used however you choose to use them. these setups i just mentioned are obviously not completely fool proof and players can get out of them, but they put you in a strong position to do damage.

you'd be amazed how many players get hit by the rage drink midscreen because they didn't know it was my next item. simple 5aa 2b sj.a j.b (hold forward) j.d then falling j.a + block string into rage drink. however, i wouldn't necessarily do exactly that on lord knight for example because he plays teddie and probably knows to dp on wakeup to avoid getting pushed into the drink, so i may iad backward instead of doing falling j.a to bait dp, or do 5aaa j.d.

the fun thing about teddie is there really is no "best" combo for any given situation because the items can be used however you choose to use them. these setups i just mentioned are obviously not completely fool proof and players can get out of them, but they put you in a strong position to do damage.

On this topic, I feel like the corner combo using smart bomb is a waste of the smart bomb, unless you're going to go for an added teddie circus. The damage on the bomb is scaled to about 25% of what it otherwise would be. Post corner combo, throw the bomb item to make them choose between your corner pressure or taking their chances with an air-unblockable item for 2000 damage. Throw them to avoid having them roll out of the corner.

Any thoughts?

Hello...ummm loopers?

Just registered to look for some insight into teddie and this game. First time with any of the GG engine games and I was here for some advice hopefully. For starters I have been reading the teddie forums a bit and the only terminology I got lost on was AoA so I would appreciate some help on that.

I am still working on getting some basic sort of bnbs down. Am I correct in assuming that teddies combos are reasonably short but mainly revolve around continuous pressure with short combos. In my very limited experience it seems that way. I have seen a corner loop in some combo videos using 5b into jumpcancelled 5c but was wondering if there is a good standard way into that loop and how many reps you can get out of it. Standard ender seems like 5b, j.a, dj.a then either j.b into item oki or bear screw into missile (in the corner missile into circus bear seems impossible even with D missile is that right?)

The main thing I am having problems with is opening people up so I can actually try practicing combos in match situations. His 2a has terrible range, but most people block low as standard anyway and the only overhead is his all-out attack and it seems incredibly easy to spot coming. Short hop j.a also either doesn't overhead or just doesn't come out fast enough to be of any use and although I have been trying to cross up with j.a because of the speed of air dashes in this game and the cross up guard mechanic my friend told me about it seems difficult to get something is either ambiguous and puts me in a good position or hits and leaves me close enough to follow up with anything.

Bear in mind these are all first impressions from someone with a pretty novice understanding of this type of fighting game engine. I have plenty of experience with sf, mvc, sc and doa but in terms of mechanics they're pretty simple compared to the arc sys engines so I can't exactly tell if my hunches are accurate or not. :/

@wiredgod. I almost always use the parachute bomber in combo just because it gets me extra damage before getting barrel oki. so after missile, puppeteddie - missile - parachute bomb throw the barrel as they wakeup. this forces them into a situation where they have to guess. you will either grab them or not grab them since they are in fear. HOWEVER, since the barrel is there as well, you can easily bait dp, and if they don't dp, they are still blocking the barrel. if you choose to grab them, they are in fear and cannot tech.

If i don't have meter, i will often OMB (one more burst) after corner combo - 5c 5d 2b j.a j.236a OMB 2c - missile hits - 214b which puts them in a similar tech into the barrel + fear situation

@duffath. as far as bnbs, i would suggest checking the OP (original post) of the combo thread. to open ppl up with teddie, you essentially have to wait for them to jump. you can make them jump trying to escape pressure because they are afraid of getting grabbed. if they are not jumping out of your pressure, then you bait their grab tech either with run forward - backdash or j.b

@brkrdave Thanks for the very useful advice!

Hello...ummm loopers?

I am still working on getting some basic sort of bnbs down. Am I correct in assuming that teddies combos are reasonably short but mainly revolve around continuous pressure with short combos. In my very limited experience it seems that way.

The main thing I am having problems with is opening people up so I can actually try practicing combos in match situations.

Teddie doesn't deal a lot of damage outside of his counter-hit 2C, corner, or corner carry combos. Your bat will help you here - on counter-hit it will send them flying to the corner (run after them). Midscreen he's not going to deal a lot of damage off a confirmed hit besides what I've mentioned. Mid-screen, I mostly use 5AA, 2B, super-jump cancel ja, jb, item drop. If they are far enough away that the sjc j.A will whiff, I use 5AA, 5B, 236D, which will give you a TV and another (optional) way to approach them.

Teddie has great range with his 5A, 5B, and throw. Try to avoid having characters in your face since the startup on your attacks is slow. Many of your items also have hitboxes, so use these items in combination with your other tools to present an offense. Teddie only has his AoA as an overhead, so your hardest to defend mixups are going to be crossups and rolling through an enemy as an item is about to hit them. Not many people can block a barrel with Teddie rolling through them repeatedly.

Hope this helps.

@wiredgod. I almost always use the parachute bomber in combo just because it gets me extra damage before getting barrel oki. so after missile, puppeteddie - missile - parachute bomb throw the barrel as they wakeup. this forces them into a situation where they have to guess. you will either grab them or not grab them since they are in fear. HOWEVER, since the barrel is there as well, you can easily bait dp, and if they don't dp, they are still blocking the barrel. if you choose to grab them, they are in fear and cannot tech.

If i don't have meter, i will often OMB (one more burst) after corner combo - 5c 5d 2b j.a j.236a OMB 2c - missile hits - 214b which puts them in a similar tech into the barrel + fear situation

Up until now I've been using the puppeteddie after the bounce from missile explosion. In terms of frames, is this inferior to the more conventional way of doing the puppeteddie just before the missile explodes? I'm thinking you want as much frame advantage as possible to put barrel pressure on them in the corner.

Up until now I've been using the puppeteddie after the bounce from missile explosion. In terms of frames, is this inferior to the more conventional way of doing the puppeteddie just before the missile explodes? I'm thinking you want as much frame advantage as possible to put barrel pressure on them in the corner.

depends on what you want to do. doing puppeteddie AFTER the explosion will make them airtech. puppeteddie BEFORE explosion will make them tech from the ground.

I usually opt for a ground tech. however, if I want them to airtech, I usually will still do puppeteddie BEFORE the explosion in such a way that I can 5b them after the explosion (you delay the explosion slightly after the puppeteddie to give enough time to 5b). this way you get extra damage while still making them airtech, possibly into air grab reset

How does one approach the Aigis matchup? She really takes my Teddie out of his game with her 2B and strong aerial game.

I'm still new myself so take my advice with a grain of salt but I usually try to sit just outside bat range and try to wait for her to 2b so I can roll or wait for sheild yo break with bat. I try to lame her out since I feel like if she gets one hit she can get a lot of momentum. I make her come to me because the more orgia she wastes trying to reach me the less mixups I have to block once she's in

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

the biggest mistake that teddies make against aigis imo is doing autopilot super jump summon item, which is a free 2b for the aigis player. once you super jump, she can automatically 2b, which will break your persona card before it can even summon an item