Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RadRed

[P4A] Teddie - Q&A Thread

I'm struggling win the AoA FC launch combo into j.A, j.B, j.A, dj.A, etc. Mainly the j.B into the second j.A - I keep spiking them into the ground. What's the timing here?

I'm struggling win the AoA FC launch combo into j.A, j.B, j.A, dj.A, etc. Mainly the j.B into the second j.A - I keep spiking them into the ground. What's the timing here?

It's important that right after you launch them, you want your first j.A to hit them WHILE GOING UP. After all the kicks are done for that first j.A (Teddie should be at his peak height), you will have to wait a few frames so that Teddie will start falling back down. In other words, once Teddie starts descending, you will chain j.B into j.A. Keep doing this until you get it. Once you get that part, you can either do another j.A into corkscrew OR you can simply do Puppeteddie A.

What's the purpose of the whiffed air throw attempt after a blocked j.B? Is this to stop them from jumping away from you or is there something else useful about it?

blocked j.b is almost always punishable by air throw if you follow up with j.a. so if you do something like airdash air throw then you're getting away, while os'ing air grab tech if they try to air grab you

Dave, at TFC Omex mentioned something about a gold burst corner setup into rage can that you use. I imagine its pretty simple, but how exactly do you set this up?

Dave, at TFC Omex mentioned something about a gold burst corner setup into rage can that you use. I imagine its pretty simple, but how exactly do you set this up?

it was more get opponent in rage -> land goldburst because why not rather than that order of events, but yeah!

if i dp successfully out of the corner -> gold burst for full meter while they cant block -> missile oki as they tech

they're still in rage when they tech into the missile

Hi, what should I be looking out for so I do 5aa 2b sjc j.a(3 hits) j.b j.d correctly? Right now when I try it with dry ice Teddie and the ice land behind the opponent.

Also how do I know if I'm doing it right? Teddie lands in front, the ice lands on top of the opponent and it's a safe jump?

Hi, what should I be looking out for so I do 5aa 2b sjc j.a(3 hits) j.b j.d correctly? Right now when I try it with dry ice Teddie and the ice land behind the opponent.

Also how do I know if I'm doing it right? Teddie lands in front, the ice lands on top of the opponent and it's a safe jump?

Try changing the time you hit the D button. I wouldn't worry too much about this setup - it's an easy block for them and is mostly useful for keeping them in blockstun as you fall. Having the ice be just left or right of the opponent might be even better in some cases. He also has another another bnb: 5AA, <slight delay>, 5B, iad, ja, 2B, sjc, j.A, j.B, <optional item drop>. This latter combo requires you to be very close to them to pull off. You may find its easier to drop the ice directly on top of them with this combo.

When my opponent is blocking, are my best options to J.b and J.a cross up and do something like 5aa, D / 5aa, 5B,D? Or is there something better (not including items btw)

Also, is max range sweep safe of block? I've been using it for a while and noticed other Teddie players are as well, so is it ACTUALLY safe or is it just sort of safe?

When my opponent is blocking, are my best options to J.b and J.a cross up and do something like 5aa, D / 5aa, 5B,D? Or is there something better (not including items btw)

Also, is max range sweep safe of block? I've been using it for a while and noticed other Teddie players are as well, so is it ACTUALLY safe or is it just sort of safe?

Teddie's sweep is awesome. It's safe if the fish hits them (I think it's actually +1 on block), and it's very not safe if you're up close and the fish misses them. A common blockstring for me is 5AA, 5B, sweep/backdash. Also try mixing it up with 5A sweep, and 5AA sweep to force them to respect your sweep and block low. j.B is good as you mentioned, especially if you cross them up with it. IAD crossup j.B, j.A, 2B, sjc, j.A, j.B (optional item drop) is excellent. You can also do jump, air turn, forward dash, j.A to cross them up. If you're very close to them, 2A and throw are options.

Alright fantastic, thanks very much for confirming and giving me some ideas. Yeah, I usually IAD, j.B, j.A, 2B, sjc, j.A, j.B, haha. Whenever I use 5AA, 5b I almost always get punished for it (whether I backdash or not) so I've been using 5AA, 5D which seems...fairly safe, depending on the item of course. But I'll try adding sweep to my block strings some more, seems much safer.

Try changing the time you hit the D button. I wouldn't worry too much about this setup - it's an easy block for them and is mostly useful for keeping them in blockstun as you fall. Having the ice be just left or right of the opponent might be even better in some cases. He also has another another bnb: 5AA, <slight delay>, 5B, iad, ja, 2B, sjc, j.A, j.B, <optional item drop>. This latter combo requires you to be very close to them to pull off. You may find its easier to drop the ice directly on top of them with this combo.

With changing the timing of hitting D do you mean letting j.B finish instead of cancelling j.B into j.D? The ice setup I'm looking at is this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ-AAqJN7dw;t=2m56s (you can change the airdash timing to make it cross up or not cross up?). I used ice as an example but I also assumed being able to drop the item on top of them is also needed for some other items. Thanks for the other bnb it works like a charm :). I still need to work out the original bnb for when I'm not very close to them though.

With changing the timing of hitting D do you mean letting j.B finish instead of cancelling j.B into j.D? The ice setup I'm looking at is this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ-AAqJN7dw;t=2m56s (you can change the airdash timing to make it cross up or not cross up?). I used ice as an example but I also assumed being able to drop the item on top of them is also needed for some other items. Thanks for the other bnb it works like a charm :). I still need to work out the original bnb for when I'm not very close to them though.

No, you want to cancel j.B into j.D. In practice mode, I was actually unable to make it so that ice fell anywhere other than on the practice dummy. Make sure that your practice dummy does neutral tech rather than teching away or towards you. Also, you want to input j.D when you still have upward momentum.

sweep is bad. you should generally only use it as a call out move. aka you think they're holding up-back and want a free 1200 damage. the fish is usually even or -1 on block. it varies depending on distance. combine that with the fact that even without an instant block, you can dp the fish for a free punish. sweep is a bad option during pressure.

the ice will whiff on a j.b j.d hit confirm if you are too close to them when you start the combo. try doing 5aa 2b from a bigger distance away and it won't whiff.

if you're in a situation where you know the confirm is too close to them, you should be doing the 5aa land 5b iad j.a 2b combo to increase your distance away from them, which will make the items drop on your opponent, not to mention netting you a good damage boost.

sweep is bad. you should generally only use it as a call out move. aka you think they're holding up-back and want a free 1200 damage. the fish is usually even or -1 on block. it varies depending on distance. combine that with the fact that even without an instant block, you can dp the fish for a free punish. sweep is a bad option during pressure

Going to have to test out some of this. I've had a lot of success using sweep, but that might be (a lot of) people not playing the matchup right. The thing is that people frequently play the Teddie matchup wrong since there are only so many Teddie players.

I was using sweep in blockstrings earlier and I always got DP'd for it. Sooo yeah, no more of that. I've got down cross ups with J.a/J.b down now so it's no biggie. Thanks again for the info, guys.

the ice will whiff on a j.b j.d hit confirm if you are too close to them when you start the combo. try doing 5aa 2b from a bigger distance away and it won't whiff.

if you're in a situation where you know the confirm is too close to them, you should be doing the 5aa land 5b iad j.a 2b combo to increase your distance away from them, which will make the items drop on your opponent, not to mention netting you a good damage boost.

No, you want to cancel j.B into j.D. In practice mode, I was actually unable to make it so that ice fell anywhere other than on the practice dummy. Make sure that your practice dummy does neutral tech rather than teching away or towards you. Also, you want to input j.D when you still have upward momentum.

Ahhhh I see. I was trying to get 5aa 2b to work while close to them.

I can do it now with 5aa 2b(not close range) and 5aa land 5b iad j.a 2b(close range). Thanks for the help.

Here's what I found on Teddie's sweep. Elizabeth, Labrys, SLab, Naoto, and Yukiko can't DP punish. At nearly max range, Akihiko, Kanji, and Chie (need to double check her) can't DP punish. You can see the very max range of the sweep if you go to the default training mode position, take a small step back, and then sweep. You might bet able to surprise people with the move's range if you're around its max distance. This would require a good read since sweep is awful if you whiff.

The timing for them to DP punish is right as the fish is about to fall on them. It's a tight window and requires some small amount of practice to get it down. I'm going to take it as a personal note that this is a weakness of the move, but I suppose I'm going to keep using it until people start punishing it.

Also, I'm kind of curious if you can OMC a blocked sweep, bait the DP, and then full punish.

You can indeed omc a blocked sweep and then punish. I've done it before.

And I have another question which has probably already been answered. How do I follow up from FC tv's with Teleport C, or what inputs do I have to do? I've done it before in training a few times but I have no idea how.

You can indeed omc a blocked sweep and then punish. I've done it before.

And I have another question which has probably already been answered. How do I follow up from FC tv's with Teleport C, or what inputs do I have to do? I've done it before in training a few times but I have no idea how.

The most basic one is 236CD, 236C, j.A, dj.A, (slight pause in air), dj.B, dj.A, dj.C, land, dash, j.A, dj.A, 236A, missile super. This combo is really useful in some matchups. Note that if they're too high off the ground when you FC them, the combo won't work.

There are other ones, but I'm not as familiar with them and I haven't practiced them. Maybe I should do that tonight.

Alright thats a sweet combo to learn. But the problem I have is getting J.b to connect. After the actual teleport do I have to input 66 or something or do I just need to time the J.b correctly?

Alright thats a sweet combo to learn. But the problem I have is getting J.b to connect. After the actual teleport do I have to input 66 or something or do I just need to time the J.b correctly?

No directional input is required there. You have to delay the j.B somewhat so it comes out on your way down, but not long enough so that you fall below them and the j.B won't connect. Try fiddling with the time you teleport through the TV and see if that helps the combo click for you.

Alright thank you very much. I must have been tired and read that you had to do J.b after the port and not J.a lol. Although I'm sure there's a FC TV's combo when used on an air borne opponent you can follow up with a falling J.b?

Anyways, I can get this combo to connect fairly consistently now, I'll keep practicing it.