Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NickExtreme1

[P4A] Labyrs - Q&A Thread

Oh.. so it needs to be charged. Still having trouble canceling [b+D]'s from 2C but will practice some more

another question is when does j.214B makes enemies bounce? which is better to connect on bounce? 2C(does that even connect) or 2B?

thanks a lot btw transient :)

Can't test, but I'm fairly sure 2C does not connect. 2B is strong, especially if you're fighting against Chie (check out the Chie specific ground bounce combos), but you can also go into 5A > 2C > FC B+D loops if you had a fatal counter red axe starter or 5AA > 5AA etc. if you had a normal hit yellow or red axe starter.

j.214B makes people bounce under two situations:

1) Enough falling momentum when hitting the opponent high in the air. Must not connect with the first hit of air guillotine.

2) If you happen to fall from high enough and hit a grounded opponent. In some cases, this height is as low as the top of a normal jump. It's guaranteed to ground bounce if you superjump or double jump, though.

The first case is the way you would probably want to combo it, though that typically requires red axe and often starts from an All-Out Attack.

I've tested it, it seems the 5AA>5A>2B works well for me in yellow axe after the bounce and also sets me up to red axe if finished with j.214A

Also tried the 22A setup for a hj.214B and it works fine

Thanks Tari :)

I'm having trouble connecting the super after j.214 moves

is there some sort of trick/character specific thing that causes this to miss?

i've lost so many rounds because this super keeps missing.

Make sure it's the D super (unless you hit them just right).

Even then, the timing is tight and the Internet will troll you because it feels mean that match.

C super:

- Combos most easily if you hit the opponent with the j.214x move while they are above you in mid-air.

- Can be combo'd into even if you hit the opponent while they're below you, but the cancel window shrinks to a window so small it's virtually not worth doing.

- Has slower startup than D super, hence the stricter requirements for comboing into it.

D super:

- Has faster startup than C super, so is almost always combo-able.

For both supers, you have to cancel as fast as you can after hitting the ground from the j.214x move. Note that the cancel windows also shrink if the combo leading up to them is heavily prorated.

- Video Reference/Tutorial

In some of my matches I've found it's actually possible to do this cancel too soon. There's a really odd window that exists the instant you hit the ground from j214, but before you get the hit during the 'slam' of that move. It looks really awkward, and it will never combo if you cancel during this window, so don't input the super until you are actually on the ground.

There's actually a pretty huge window where you can cancel too early, though in some cases it'll still combo. Best to always confirm that you've hit the ground before you hit the button to activate the super.

what do you feel are the best uses for her persona normals (5C, 2C, 5D etc.)

i really want to find a place for these and see what they would be best used for. i find myself playing games where i've never touched D, and only used j.C or 2C for combos

from what i can tell, 5C doesn't seem that great, is it + on block or comboable on CH? one thing i can see it being useful for is if you OMC it and you get a big mixup opportunity.

5D seems really gimmicky. the follow up is great for mixups. but getting it out seems really risky due to it's range and bad startup. i can see it being kinda useful in the corner at max range, where the opponent might be waiting for you to do something, then doing the follow up for a mixup. when else would someone use this?

j.D just seems like strictly space control for people with big air to air normals or people who like to dash in. also good for it's air momentum stoppage. since doing airdash j.B will get you thrown or counter hit out of in an air to air situation, i guess this is for baiting that and making them run into it. any combos that can be done off this? (sorry i'm at work, can't test atm)

j.C combos only as far as i can tell.

same with 2C, although i can see this work as a pre-emptive anti air, since the hitbox is so big. this is if you don't want to time and react with a 2B

let me know what you guys think of her normals.

5c is actually pretty good for oki. It can be cancelled into special moves, 2c, 5d, and sweep. For example, since most basic green axe combos end in 214a, 5c can act as a safe, far meaty attack that avoids many reversals but also catches rolls. You can then cancel it into 214a for overhead, sweep for the knockdown, or set up 22a and go for a throw. It's not as good in neutral situations, but it can get you started against someone that likes to keep their distance.

I haven't worked 5d into my game either. Spike oki is much easier to pull off because you can special cancel into it after a sweep. It's pretty much never safe to use 5d unless you combo into it from 2c or something, but if you land a 2c you should probably do a more damaging combo.

j.D can be useful for low corner air combos. Something like [2b] 5a 7jc j.bb j.d djc j.bb j.c j.214b. You have to wait until all the wheels are out before you can double jump. In neutral, it can be useful for catching people who try to chase you. I saw PurePure do a lot of IAD backwards j.d to cover the area above and in front of him temporarily. This can give you time to safely set up a spike or toss out the chain against non-projectile based characters.

j.C is mainly a combo tool, but if you RC it right after the first hit the rest of the hits keep going. So basically, the opponent is still stuck in block stun for a few more hits while you're free to go for the low or crossup. Since j.c has a vacuum effect, it can make for some pretty ambiguous crossups.

Same opinion on 2c. Maybe 2c > 5d to force someone high up in the air into block stun so you can safely set up a 5d.

5C is an amazing spacing tool. Gives you a free high/low on block or you can do shenanigans with strike pressure (delayed 236A to catch jump out, 2C for tricks, etc). The range of the move also catches a lot of jumpers (esp if they try to jump out to escape the incoming mixup).

5D is basically what kro said, the followup is good for mixups but comboing into this move is not always straightforward and rarely optimal

j.D is cool. IAD jD or 7 jD can be used to bait certain annoying DPs (ie. Yosukes) or set up some oki, cover some ground, stuff jump outs, etc Problem is that its slow... most viable after a knockdown, but then you lose chain oki or dash in mixup

2C the ghetto anti-air, much higher margin of error than 2B, but the reward is often not worth it unless spaced well for the charged B+D. I wonder if you can bait Kanji's j.C with this :psyduck:

Thanks kro! i didn't know you could cancel her 5C into anything, that should prove super useful!

when do you guys ever (or do you ever) use her charged B moves?

i can see 2B charge being somewhat useful for mistiming an anti air, or maybe even baiting a double jump bait (yomi layer 10).

is there a string (pushes you far enough) or situation anyone uses to charge up the 5B to get them scared to just mash dp or escape?

Charged 2B, like you said, is useful for combos and for yomi layer 10. Not a super solid option, by any means, but it's nice to take whatever you can get.

5{B} is ++++ and you can hold it to bait counters and out of the range of some DPs, although this only works until they learn your 5B range. It's also a decent spacing tool with its hitbox and all. Labrys has tons of way to space the 5B charge, no fancy strings needed. Just hit buttons until you're out of range.

is there a string (pushes you far enough) or situation anyone uses to charge up the 5B to get them scared to just mash dp or escape?

If you've got balls, do it after a knockdown on Akihiko. Space it outside of his jab range so he pretty much has to either throw kill rush and risk getting counterhit or block. Charged B after a point becomes plus on block and you can cancel it into high/low. They can always try to roll through, so spacing is very important.

Charged 5B is good against people who like to press DP with Kanji, Yukiko, Aki, and the counter DP characters. You just wait for their DP to end and then release it. If they block, the charged version is +8 on block, or you can be really gutsy and try the unblockable.

I don't know any blockstrings off the top of my head that space properly against Yu, but I'm sure they exist.

Seems less likely to work on mitsuru, I think hers has more horizontal range.

Labrys should never use her DP against Labrys in that sort of situation because you can just release the 5B and cancel into your own DP to win.

Liz...I think you can release 5B and cancel into invuln frames against her as well. Not sure, can't test right now.

tl;dr charged 5B is pretty cool in pressure.

You can't used charged 5B against Liz because she's invincible (but not with super armor) for the entire duration of her DP, so you can't hit it and cancel into something else.

i use 5b after i get them scared of stagger 5a(x n) pressure, or if i work a lot of 5a 5b special move into my game. you can get the chrage if you show them that usually it would get them counterhit

also, some moves (a few of the dp's for example) give you time to charge 5b CH punish. yu's on block/whiff for example.

Midscreen CH 5b leads into blowback? the aerial knockback state. What do you do when you confirm this? 236B > A followup? 236B > AB followup with meter? Nothing??

imo CH 5b normal (non-charged) can be more rewarding since it doesn't force aerial state, but bleagh

Guess I'll also tack in these fun questions.

What do you do on confirmed 5c aerial hit?

What do you do on confirmed 5b (non charged, non-CH) aerial hit?

I punish with charged 5b in the corner. It is more rewarding to do CH 5b 5c 2c [bd] at midscreen.

There's not much you can do on 5c aerial hit. Maybe 236a > 6 > a. Same with 5b aerial hit. Probably better to punish with 5a > 2b or autocombo instead.

Midscreen CH 5b leads into blowback? the aerial knockback state. What do you do when you confirm this? 236B > A followup? 236B > AB followup with meter? Nothing??

imo CH 5b normal (non-charged) can be more rewarding since it doesn't force aerial state, but bleagh

Guess I'll also tack in these fun questions.

What do you do on confirmed 5c aerial hit?

What do you do on confirmed 5b (non charged, non-CH) aerial hit?

CH 5B slide gets you chain into a followup of your choosing midscreen. In the corner, you can just kill them with buttons.

CH charged 5B has lower damage potential than normal CH 5B midscreen, I think. Haven't really checked that to be sure, though.

That aside, remember that against some characters, CH charge 5B > 236B will not work. I believe it doesn't work on Labrys and Shadow Labrys. Someone told me it doesn't work on Chie, but I'm not really sure about that one.

Just don't use charged 5B, if you have an option. Otherwise, unless you had a previously placed spike ready to catch the opponent, I think you have to cancel into super or something to combo, which is completely not worthwhile as a punish.