Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mindgam3

Slayer vs. Jam

I haven't had the chance to play against a practiced Jam player, so my experience with this matchup only goes as far as fighting the more often than not retarded CPU. She seems to be quite powerful when used correctly (Flash Metroid being first and foremost on my mind), so if any more experienced players have certain strategies and exploits they could share, it would be greatly appreciated.

Lessee.....she's very easy to anti air since a lot of Jam's WILL use instant air dashes in their pressure, so looking for those and reacting quickly is key in this fight. If you can deter her from jumping around constantly, you've already won the fight. On the ground, your usual zoning games works fine on her and remember that things like 2D help stop her rush. BBU will go through FB puffball if predicted correctly. Otherwise just don't try to beat that thing out, let her waste the meter. BDC when you can to avoid stupid 6H wake up pressure. Mostly this fight for me is looking for 2S opportunities, anticipating her rush move and countering accordingly, and zoning with 5K / 2H. Don't get predictable on wake up or in pressure with 6K as it's easily parried and then your ass. You both only really need 2 or so openings to kill each other, so make it count.

Villainous pretty much nailed it. I will help emphasize the anti-airing part - watch her closely and you will see many, many opportunities to 2S her out of the air and into a 50%+ aircombo. Another thing that stops puffball is 6P, but you have to do it in anticipation (or react if she's full screen).

if she's floating around your head trying to cross you up, 5p is also good to start an air combo and will often works in spots where 2s will come out too slow. you are going to have to play with this to figure out when to use it though as it doesn't beat moves as well as 2s does, but it can win purely on speed. as far as oki goes. remember that jam cannot parry low and use that to your advantage. also... if you have enough time, dash over them twice as they are getting up and it will almost always mess up their parry. another great thing to use vs jams that like to parry is to bdc bite on their wakeup. learn the timing for beating puff ball with bbu. your bbu has to either hit them really early, or really late. catching the end of the puffball momentum with your bbu is a key way to get a safe counter hit bbu, but often you can only do this if the puff ball would have stopped in front of you if you had not moved. and as mcr said, you can 6p to beat it too. if they do a puff ball from too far away from you, reaction 6p it for counter hit combo. and definitely watch out for jam's flame kick overhead. you must be able to block this on reaction and keep in mind that it does cross up when it is close to you (often when it looks like it shouldn't). if you can get 2s out early enough you can get a big ch combo off. but it comes down pretty quick so it is often better just to block. (5p actually has gotten me quite a few counter hit vs this move too). and if they do it from too far in front of you... definitely just bbu that thing! (6p counter hits it too for lulz combo, but you pretty much gotta predict it to hit this)

another great thing to use vs jams that like to parry is to bdc bite on their wakeup.

what's the BDC for? is there an "option select" parry/2p tactic that jam players like to use, or is that a kind of option select for yourself?

what's the BDC for? is there an "option select" parry/2p tactic that jam players like to use, or is that a kind of option select for yourself?

Typically they aren't going to just input parry and then nothing.

bdc bite, seems like it also makes bite's range a little bit longer :V... and the keyword is it "seems!" unless it really does then Lol..!

pretty much what crimson just said.

they usually parry and stick something out. or just stick something out if they just guess you're going to 6k instead of reacting to it.

(hmmm wonder what happens if you bdc bite and they do jam's srk... i'll have to test that)

bdc bite will get through a lot of their stuff.

also... zaido!!! i always thought it looks like it bites from farther away too lol. i'm pretty sure it doesn't though?

oh ok, so just to make sure: the parry input takes priority over whatever they choose to stick out, in case a hitbox comes their way?

beware TK ryuujin (regular ryuujin does just fine too) crushing 2hs for a nice juicy CH :gonk: you can 6p/2s them for large damage so I guess its okay.