Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Setsuna

[P4A] Labrys - Critique Thread

Main_Header_Critique_Thread.png

Post up videos of yourself playing and the resident Labrys players here at Dustloop will give you feedback in regards to your general gameplay. Be warned as some feedback may come off as harsh but as harsh as they may sound taking those words to heart may make a difference in the long run.

Hey guys, been around DL for a while but never really posted in the forums so I'm assuming my other account was set to inactive. Either way I'm digging P4 and Definitely trying to get the most out of it. So hoping the community can assess and lemme know what I can be doing to improve on my characters.

Both matches are me playing against my brother's Aigis.

http://youtu.be/h28girOz3Zc

http://youtu.be/1onSZn064Ow

Edit: Also, sorry about the quality. Getting a HD Pvr soon.

watched the last match of the first video

random thoughts as i see them (take my opinion with grains of salt. i would say im only average)

-dont dp to seeing aigis dash at you in orgia from too close. she can usually land and block in time. keep in mind

-dont dp to a neutral jump straight up. easy as hell to avoid your dp on.

-rolling at some/most ranges (example being at 17:49 first vid) is REALLY risky. thats a free CH to anyone with decent range. for aigis its a sweep at minimum, or chaingun, 2b, etc etc.

-far range 5d vs aigis is risky. most of her bullets can tag the persona, or she just chills out while you lose axe level. a lot of aigis like to cancel something into orgia, so if they are full screen and not in orgia.... they can just chill out if you 5d from full screen. dont like that move particularly.

-you use cross up j.a a lot. airturned j.b would serve the same purpose most the time, but builds axe meter, better range and has better blockstun. consider it.

-AA with 2b more. you seem to mostly use the command dp. 2b is a lot better for AA.

-19:14, i would say dont ever do 236236d in neutral like that. it didnt kill, very easily could have not hit, and you burn the axe meter either way. if you reacted to the jump, 2b would have been better and safer. at yellow axe, even a 2b jc jb jc 214x into 236236d would have killed instead. dp also in that case would have worked because he did the flame wheel. roll could have been an option too. (you did 236236d in neutral again in the last round, that one was a god awful idea. it got blocked, and you had to rc to make it safe. 100 meter, and your axe to gray for a little chip is not worth that gamble at all)

-after j.d, you can air dash. something to keep in mind as an option to approach since you can airdash into a falling j.b. not always a great idea, but using j.d at mid screen and just trying to space with it, aigis can 2b it for free mostly.

-tari posted a video in the general thread about linking 236236x super after air guillo axe. watch it to understand when you should/should not.

-aigis specific: roll thru her 2b. free punish at most ranges.

-aigis specific: you do pressure into 236a-6-a move. aigis dp beats both options and at the range you do it, it would be hard/impossible to just 236a-6-4 to block it on reaction.

-general note: sweep cancel into 236a isnt terrible on block, but on hit you give up momentum. if you cant confirm it, 214a is a safer idea since it hits on hit or block.

Ah thank you. I took note of everything. Since I've posted this I did start to use 2B as AA instead, it is definitely better. No more neutral beasts either that was just dumb all around >.> I appreciate the help though. Really pushing to get better with Labrys, Naoto and Liz.

Oh yeah, and no more mindless DP's either. Learned the hard way about doing that.

Played in a streamed room last night and found the archived vid of my matches:

http://www.twitch.tv/tbtgang/b/329695742

I also found the time-stamps for all of my matches:

0:00:36

0:03:50

0:06:19

0:08:55

0:12:15

0:16:42

0:19:30

0:29:00

0:33:33

0:36:06

0:46:55

0:55:17

1:10:50

1:13:19

1:29:58

i will watch a few and opinion them later tonight. pick out 3 in particular if you know ones that you think should be evaluated, otherwise ill just pick random ones.

i will watch a few and opinion them later tonight. pick out 3 in particular if you know ones that you think should be evaluated, otherwise ill just pick random ones.

Random would be bad; a number of those matches were a bit too lopsided in my favor. So all right, I'll pick three.

0:08:55

0:19:30

0:55:17

you got it, sometime later today ill look em over

@redsilversnake

8:55 match -----

9:31 = that second 214a is really risky. a lot of options beat it.

9:53 = if you IB something in the air, i wouldnt hit any button on the way down, i saw the j.b start and i doubt that woulda been active in time to hit him on the ground if he just stood there and stared at you. j.a/j.c for faster options in that case, or just use a air option, or land and go from there.

9:56 = cancel that blocked DP into gears. at worst you burn some meter that doesnt carry over.

10:45 = you jump into j.b/j.a air-to-ground very often. at this point in the match, you are very lucky the yu wasnt 2B'ing you to hell for it.

10:50 = CH 5a in the corner, you dropped. understandable that combos get dropped (trust me, i do it all the time XD), but that is too easy/too important to goof. work on that if it wasnt a fluke drop. that needs to be 100% conversion into at least something.

10:56 = good dp bait, good waiting to him to hang himself with the whiff super. have a better punish than 5a starter if you got infinite time to do it. practice something if you dont know one. i recommend having 1 maximum punish in your knowledge in case they do something crazy dumb/do a terrible burst/whatever. - side note being you wanna start gauging HP. it was match point, red axe and tons of meter. even autocombo into 236236d woulda killed. try to recognize when your kill combo would kill, and when it wouldnt. keep in mind that pre-awakening, 50% of most characters HP is less than 5k. including a 236236d red axe super, its very easy to get near/surpass that on any hit.

11:11 = another blocked dp, cancel into gears. keep it in mind as an option.

that match in general: little/no throw mixup, lots of 5a AA (try to use 2b instead, 5a is good, but 2b is better and more reliable, just a thought), not bad overall though

-----

19:30 match ----

20:38 = really try to avoid pre-emptive DPs. unless you are in his head, theres so few moves he could have done from neutral to get hit by that, let all him not doing them by seeing you start your DP. it cost you your burst. its a big deal.

20:40-20:50 = very patient. i like that. no need to be silly, just solid SF walking footsies and claiming the midscreen as yours. keep that up!

20:55 = i do not agree with that ender. i get the whole 'i should kill him while i can' thing, but if your gonna do that, go for it and do a 236x-6-AB combo into that super, or something. or just dont do the super and do the 236236c version. or better yet, dont do anything with the meter, besides maybe a 25 meter combo for a little more axe gauge, and save the 50 meter for a mixup/reversal gears. i would personally do the last choice, but its a choice. just if your gonna go for 'damage while you can' i would say fully commit to it.

21:06 = if you ever hit with 5aa, and you dont know what to do, just finish the autocombo. its very rare it wont connect all 4 hits, and you lose a lot by cutting it short. try to work on confirming in 2 hits. its a reasonable expectation, so do your best ^^ i believe!

21:47 = look at tari's beginner labrys guide video and learn the situations about air 214x into 236236x super.

overall notes in general:

you dont throw a lot (an option to use, get them afraid), you could confirm into better combos often with 25 meter. your hit confirming in general needs work. gear super is a great reversal, use it more often! 5b is a good neutral move. you dont really use 22x series at all. take it as you will

youll get it, just look over your matches and try to figure what you could do better yourself, then tackle 1 thing at a time.

i would honestly say work on your 5a confirms first. probably the thing you miss the most often, while being the poke you hit with the most often.

been busy. sorry you only get the notes for 2 matches! :D

============

@excelence

ill watch a match or two and do a writeup like above when i can. ;)

9:56 = cancel that blocked DP into gears. at worst you burn some meter that doesnt carry over.

FWIW, I did try. For some reason, I can't seem to get it consistently, though; but it's probably just that I'm screwing up the input, so yeah, I'll work on that.

10:45 = you jump into j.b/j.a air-to-ground very often. at this point in the match, you are very lucky the yu wasnt 2B'ing you to hell for it.

This is actually something I've noticed myself, and it has gotten me AA'd a good deal. I definitely do need to do it less often/predictably/more intelligently.

10:50 = CH 5a in the corner, you dropped. understandable that combos get dropped (trust me, i do it all the time XD), but that is too easy/too important to goof. work on that if it wasnt a fluke drop. that needs to be 100% conversion into at least something.

It was a fluke drop, yeah. I normally get it consistently, but I do drop it from time to time.

10:56 = good dp bait, good waiting to him to hang himself with the whiff super. have a better punish than 5a starter if you got infinite time to do it. practice something if you dont know one. i recommend having 1 maximum punish in your knowledge in case they do something crazy dumb/do a terrible burst/whatever. - side note being you wanna start gauging HP. it was match point, red axe and tons of meter. even autocombo into 236236d woulda killed. try to recognize when your kill combo would kill, and when it wouldnt. keep in mind that pre-awakening, 50% of most characters HP is less than 5k. including a 236236d red axe super, its very easy to get near/surpass that on any hit.

For not killing him, that was actually just me forgetting that it was match point. But for punishes, you're right that I need a better one. I'll be sure to find some in the combo thread off 5/2B.

that match in general: little/no throw mixup,

Yeah, I rarely try to throw. I've meant to incorporate it into my gameplan, but I keep forgetting to utilize it for some reason.

20:55 = i do not agree with that ender. i get the whole 'i should kill him while i can' thing, but if your gonna do that, go for it and do a 236x-6-AB combo into that super, or something. or just dont do the super and do the 236236c version. or better yet, dont do anything with the meter, besides maybe a 25 meter combo for a little more axe gauge, and save the 50 meter for a mixup/reversal gears. i would personally do the last choice, but its a choice. just if your gonna go for 'damage while you can' i would say fully commit to it.

Ugh. Rewatching that, you're absolutely right. That was a really bad decision. I'll try to do more 25 meter combos in those situations as you say.

21:47 = look at tari's beginner labrys guide video and learn the situations about air 214x into 236236x super.

Well, that time, it was possible (as I was going for the D version, not C), I just mistimed it.

gear super is a great reversal, use it more often!

I actually use it quite often. It's just that I occasionally screw up and only get 5C, and I wasn't willing to risk that at times. I've been getting it more consistently, though, so I am using it more.

you dont really use 22x series at all. take it as you will

Well, I'm still working on doing 22x~[D], but I will try to use that once I can do it reliably.

Anyway, thanks for the write-up. I'll be sure to keep your advice in mind next time I play.

grind out your 214214 motions if you are goofing the reversal gears. its one of our only reliable options, so you cant be afraid to use it because you might goof (especially not in casuals)

and if you are getting blocked dp, but arent cancelling into gears, just keep doing the motion. you can cancel at any point, so there really isnt that big an issue with just going 214c over and over until it comes out. it sounds scrubby, but if it ensures you get it for sure, then do it anyway

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4fu7jsoskA

ignore the second match.

This match was really sloppy on my part, yes. I tried a lot of things, some worked, some didn't. I'm looking for help to improve, and another person's input on what was right, what was wrong, and what could have been done better. I'm not going to lie and say that I understand very much about this game - I mainly play by doing really basic stuff and the occasional stupid trick.

@excelence (watched first 2 matches)

match 1 ----

0:17 : good punish on the DP!

1:04 : that super was a bad idea. 50 meter gone, and you do literally just enough for his awakening. he probably gained the life the super did in the defense bonus alone.

1:16 : that dp punish you were too far out for, you should have time to dash then 5b, just something to keep in mind.

1:19 : yu specific - he did the slide after his pressure. from that far, you can react to the overheads, so i would just block low and react high here.

1:23 : chain at neutral is really risky from a distance. if he iad's (which he did) hes in for free. if he blocks, and you follow it up, he will DP you out of the followups at a minimum. maybe cross slash, no idea.

1:31 : yu specific - ive seen yu's neutral jump at the end of that to go for air throw reset. vs labrys, if he does that and airdashes backwards if he decides he wont get it, he has options to avoid all of yours. be wary of teching right there mindlessly, just be aware of what yu can do in that situation. even after your double jump neutrally (or backwards, couldnt tell), when you fell and did a move, the 2b was a free kill. you were kinda boned, but think about what went wrong and how you might have been able to avoid it.

1:44 : 2B j.b j.b j.c j.214a (or 2b sjc j.b j.c 214x) is simple, if you get a 2b and dont know what to do with it, just keep it simple and get the 214x ender at a minimum.

1:56 : j214a right here was crazy risky. it does hit behind, but thats really a bad idea to use like that, especially vs yu. he has a lot of options to beat it, and if he did raging lion b on reaction to the startup, you woulda eaten a sick punish.

3:01 : j.b j.bb j.bb j.c 214x here. simple and had a better chance of getting super to hit. honestly, the super isnt a great idea in either situation (prefer to have the meter for a 25 meter combo/super when i get yellow or red axe/50 meter mixup/omc a throw) but thats a style thing. aside from that, never do the d super at below yellow unless you need it for the kill. if it hit, it would have put him in awakening, so your lucky it didnt.

3:37 : again, the 236236d was a bad choice. 236236c would have hit him. better option would have been that he couldnt OMC it, so just run up and get a real punish. at a minimum, 236B him. just another general poor use of meter.

3:53 : the dp punish was too early, so you hit him in the air. if you wanna hit him before he lands to avoid cross slash, 5a or 2b instead.

general notes after this video: work on your meter usage. neutral jump into double jump into j.b vs yu is asking to get air raging lion'd. work in 25 meter combos instead of super.

match 2 ----

4:51 : way way WAY too early to burn 236236d. it barely put him into awakening, and now he doesnt have to fear red axe normals. given the circumstance, this is actually a reasonable shot for yu to run it back. stop being so eager to 236236d him.

5:06 : balls of steel, or autopiloting, that you did a 236x here. if it was reaction to the raging lion, you had a better/safer punish in 2b. a better but equally risky punish in 5b or DP.

5:49 : bad choice here. theres so little that would have beat, and you are handing him a free ch on whiff/block.

6:32 : this would have been a great time to gear super reversal to get him off you. dont be afraid to burn some meter to get momentum back if hes getting too 'buttons-in-your-face' on you.

7:18 : again, try to stop doing the super at the end in spots like this. your meter is better used elsewhere. practice 5aaa 236b-6-ab combos if you dont know what to do after 3 hits of autocombo.

7:38 : again with the super. without the super, he was probably not in awakening.

7:47 : neutral long range chain is easy to blow up. against some chars its fine. vs yu, its not really. try to get that out of your system. jump, iad, roll, full screen laser super, b raging lion - just to name a few things that avoid/blow you up for doing it.

7:58 : YAH! (teehee)

8:18 : perfect example of why i dont like sweep at neutral so much.

8:22 : 5aa 214ab 22b 5a 5b (sword hits) into whatever. this was a perfect chance to burn 25 meter on a green-to-red combo. check the combo thread of examples. tari posted a very stable one, start with that one.

8:54 : never do the 214b after sweep. it doesnt hit ever, and it doesnt catch tech or any wake up options. at least not that fast to catch wake up options (though at that range, yu will win on dp or cross slash 100% of the time)

general notes after this video: this match he was punishing you a lot more for your autopilot j.b stuff. cant just be like 'o hey, im at neutral, i should jump at him and j.b' all the time. also, your ground neutral, you tend to get closer than you need to. you did run up 2b oki when you could have doing stand a little further and 5b instead. just work on being more patient in general and playing smarter, less gimmicky and 'i got 1 option so ill run it into the ground' ala your j.b as your approach 95% of the time. **ALSO GO TO THE COMBO THREAD AND LEARN SOME 25 METER COMBOS FROM 5AA OR 5AAA. MAKE THIS TRAINING MODE MISSION #1**

===============

@wintysosolo (watched first match only)

0:24 : really really REALLY try to avoid pre-emptive 'miracle' DPs. especially if you havent trained your opponent into certain responses yet.

0:34 : that super jump didnt look intential. grind out your execution to avoid that. the j.b would have been too early on a normal jump too.

0:46 : by this point in the video, theres too much moving in the air, too little actually doing things to give my opponent the idea that he cant do anything he likes.

0:53 : CH DP into autocombo doesnt work beyond the first 5aa at green axe (at least very rarely). just a fyi.

1:05 : ending this with 236236d would have killed. thats a style choice if you wanna save axe meter, but i would have just gone for kill. it was round one, you had the next round to build gauge back at worst. (the following shows exactly why you should take the kill when you can get it)

1:09 : he did that super too early to punish like that. imo, just from looking, better choice would have been land 5c - sweep - 214a - omc. 50 meter high low mixup with 50 more to kill if you got the hit.

1:16 : 236ab is projectile invul, roll to avoid that also, but you were way too far on the 236236c, and i dont even agree on the burst to save yourself.

1:19 : he whiffed his ice wave super. land 5c is dp safe. iad j.b is not, as you found out.

1:39 : red axe CH DP -> 5aa 2c [bD] -> 5aaaa at the very least. practice it.

1:47 : it wasnt a terrible choice, but i dont like the super here. work on some of the red axe meterless combos so you have more options. check the combo thread.

1:50 : crazy risky that roll. just letting you know. the combo following could have been a red axe meterless from 5a starter. you got a lot of options, but you need to learn 1 or 2 at least.

2:14 : you are getting very lucky with these rolls and your opponent not destroying you for them. follow up combo would be 5aa 5aa 2c [bd] into whatever.

2:45 : should have taken the easy kill here. fatal counter red axe 5a in the corner leads to a LOT of options, but at a minimum, he had like maybe 3k hp at most when you started. even 5aaaa 236236d should have killed. the combo you did should have worked if you did j.c into 214x into 236236d, but it got goofed.

general notes: the mitsuru didnt blow you up for it, but you need to dp less. a lot of spots you did were bad, just think before you do. the mitsuru also could have 2B'ed you to hell, with a lot of your empty jumpins/j.a/j.b from the angles he wants to 2B you from. the biggest thing though is HIT THE COMBO THREAD. learn some combos besides 5aaaaa. not trying to sound mean, but you need to.

general notes: the mitsuru didnt blow you up for it, but you need to dp less. a lot of spots you did were bad, just think before you do. the mitsuru also could have 2B'ed you to hell, with a lot of your empty jumpins/j.a/j.b from the angles he wants to 2B you from. the biggest thing though is HIT THE COMBO THREAD. learn some combos besides 5aaaaa. not trying to sound mean, but you need to.

The Mitsuru was pretty bad. He wasn't playing the matchup at all. Just flow charts all did. So how to improve? Pretty much that snippet sums it up very well. There were a TON of hella unsafe stuff you did that was specific to the matchup. Not to say don't use unsafe options, but just...don't use hella unsafe ones :kitty:

Empty jump is good, but against a good Mitsuru that is asking to eat 2b. Pre-emptive/yomi DPs are suuuuuper scary. Can't even super cancel them ouch. Definitely agree with hitting the combo thread, don't disagree with autocombos. Autocombos are great as long as you use them for 1) easy meter gain, 2) easy kill 5AAA A/236B 236236B is ez 4.2-4.4k in non-awakening AND works on aerial opponents (though some might argue with point 2 hahaha). Also, CH B+D > AAA does NOT work in green axe. Do CH B+D > 5A > 2B > air combo instead.

For the second match, experiment with 5C at distance a bit. It's extremely useful against even aggressive Kanji's in neutral. And in all cases, use 2a more. There will be a point where people just block and tech throws...so throwing in some mixup high/lows is a must.

0:34 : that super jump didnt look intential. grind out your execution to avoid that. the j.b would have been too early on a normal jump too.

It actually was. I was attempting to do some stupid trick with whiffed jB falling jA, but I did jB too late to get the jA in. Still bad execution on my part.

1:16 : 236ab is projectile invul, roll to avoid that also, but you were way too far on the 236236c, and i dont even agree on the burst to save yourself.

I seem to remember hitting from that sort of distance before, though that may have been with the D verison. Do they have different ranges?

2:14 : you are getting very lucky with these rolls and your opponent not destroying you for them. follow up combo would be 5aa 5aa 2c [bd] into whatever.

I actually was trying that in training mode a few days ago. I may have been doing something wrong, but it seems to require a a rather strict microdash between the first sets of 5AA to make the charged BD not whiff, unless I was doing something wrong. I'm only able to get it to work 40% of the time offline, which is nowhere near enough to make me confident enough to try online.

2:45 : should have taken the easy kill here. fatal counter red axe 5a in the corner leads to a LOT of options, but at a minimum, he had like maybe 3k hp at most when you started. even 5aaaa 236236d should have killed. the combo you did should have worked if you did j.c into 214x into 236236d, but it got goofed.

I don't actually know the health bars because I'm really dumb, and was worried that I wouldn't kill if I went for something simple. I ended up failing to cancel jC into 214x, which is something that happens way more often than I feel it should. Do you have any advice on how to make this cancel work properly? It seems like the special cancel frames on jC are in odd places, compared to pretty much everything else I've experienced. Coming from melty where you can cancel things really easily, this not only throws me off, but it's amazingly frustrating. I drop another combo in the second match for the exact same reason. Even offline, I can't get it to consistently cancel.

Oh, you don't sound mean, I'm highly aware that I miss a lot of damage opportunity. I'm slowly working on combos...or rather, confirms. I have a list of things I can do, but I often just end up doing other things that don't work because I either forget or misjudge the axe level. The advice about dping and jumping is very helpful, though.

"ended up failing to cancel jC into 214x, which is something that happens way more often than I feel it should. Do you have any advice on how to make this cancel work properly?"

do a j.c, and just mash the fuck out of 214a over and over (like j.c 214a214a214a214a214a214a214a214a214a) until you see when it actually happens.

do it like 20 times, in training mode, and watch when it happens. dont worry about the combo, just watch for when the cancel occurs.

if you see visually when the cancel actually happens, maybe youll get a better idea of when to do it. best advice i can give on the subject.

its kinda late though, so i get ya on that one.

and as for 5aa 5aa 2c [bd], you dont NEED the dash, but you need to release the [bd] manually perfectly to not need it. just work on getting the dash. its not hard once you grind it out. i struggled on for like a few days, then i do it 100% in training mode. just need to work for it until its natural.

j.C > j.214x can almost always be confirmed just by listening/looking for the last hit of j.C before you do the 214 input.

@excelence (watched first 2 matches)

1:04 : that super was a bad idea. 50 meter gone, and you do literally just enough for his awakening. he probably gained the life the super did in the defense bonus alone.

I do purposely do that super that barely get him into awakening mode, so i can kill him in the next combo without letting him enter awakening mode and get defense bonus ... miscalculating his hp thought orz

1:44 : 2B j.b j.b j.c j.214a (or 2b sjc j.b j.c 214x) is simple, if you get a 2b and dont know what to do with it, just keep it simple and get the 214x ender at a minimum.

I do actually face palmed on myself when i see this ... i do actually hit confirm 2b ch on this fight but forgot what stuff i can do with it :lol:

1:56 : j214a right here was crazy risky. it does hit behind, but thats really a bad idea to use like that, especially vs yu. he has a lot of options to beat it, and if he did raging lion b on reaction to the startup, you woulda eaten a sick punish.

I'll keep that in mind

3:37 : again, the 236236d was a bad choice. 236236c would have hit him. better option would have been that he couldnt OMC it, so just run up and get a real punish. at a minimum, 236B him. just another general poor use of meter.

Yes, i think i should just opt 236a/b>6>A+B

general notes after this video: work on your meter usage. neutral jump into double jump into j.b vs yu is asking to get air raging lion'd. work in 25 meter combos instead of super.

Will do

match 2 ----

5:06 : balls of steel, or autopiloting, that you did a 236x here. if it was reaction to the raging lion, you had a better/safer punish in 2b. a better but equally risky punish in 5b or DP.

It's a yomi, i thought it's a good range for Chain A and reverse the pressure

6:32 : this would have been a great time to gear super reversal to get him off you. dont be afraid to burn some meter to get momentum back if hes getting too 'buttons-in-your-face' on you.

Too comfortable playing character without DP and blocking/ib ing for hole ... i'll keep that in mind

7:38 : again with the super. without the super, he was probably not in awakening.

I'm pretty certain if i do the full combos of aaa>214xx he'll end up in awakening as his hp already goes down below 35% ... the reason why i blow up super before he get defense bonus.

8:18 : perfect example of why i dont like sweep at neutral so much.

Testing stuff how sweep hit box fare against dp :kitty:

general notes after this video: this match he was punishing you a lot more for your autopilot j.b stuff. cant just be like 'o hey, im at neutral, i should jump at him and j.b' all the time. also, your ground neutral, you tend to get closer than you need to. you did run up 2b oki when you could have doing stand a little further and 5b instead. just work on being more patient in general and playing smarter, less gimmicky and 'i got 1 option so ill run it into the ground' ala your j.b as your approach 95% of the time. **ALSO GO TO THE COMBO THREAD AND LEARN SOME 25 METER COMBOS FROM 5AA OR 5AAA. MAKE THIS TRAINING MODE MISSION #1**

Thanks, this review is much better than i expected, i'll definitely work on 25 meter combos, my meter and axe lvl management dull as heck ... my combo route also a total blow up there, hit confirming ch2b ... but didn't know what to do orz (mid screen green starter at least should be 2bch>66aa>214a+b>22>5a>2b]b[>[b+d]>whatever)

And also note for me or @2:28 ... <-smashing head to the wall there... if that ever happening again i'll do Brutal Impact setup :vbang:

No posts since August huh. Time to show my scrubby ass Labrys with ghetto phone footage. The videos I got bodied in are super old. Need to save more replays of me losing.

Vs :ballYK:

[04/29/13] (2) (3)

Vs :ballLB:

[04/18/13]

Vs :ballAK:

[04/25/13]

After watching these again I did some really derpy stuff at times.

You seem to have a pretty good grasp of your oki set-ups, but I would try mixing up what you do with 22B oki a bit more. I'm pretty sure I only saw you go for a crossup once, and you only throw in the corner. You play neutral pretty well, and you're pretty patient on defense, which is so important with Labrys.

I'd say your real weakness is lack of optimized combos and your hitconfirming. There are combos at green or yellow axe that will get you to red axe for 25 meter and allow for oki set-ups, I suggest you learn those, rather than that autocombo > OMC > air combo that you were doing. I think your combos in general could use some fine tuning, there was a lot of stuff that could have been stronger there. Also, you get a lot of hits, but don't capitalize on them. I saw quite a few 2Bs that you jump cancelled, but then nothing? Also, your air-to-air hits didn't get much of anything either. If you can confirm off of every combo, your opponent will have a lot more to fear from you, even if it's just something simple for now.

Thanks for the input

I think it was just a coincidence I didnt go for more oki setups in the videos. Usually Im doing other ones. But Ive played thse guys enough to know which oki setups usually work with them.

I dont throw to often. Its universal in all fighters I play. And I don't overhead to often either. Only reason I overhead often with Labrys is because it cant be helped, with Guillotine. I usually never do AoA. And if I did, it was most likely an accident. My playstyle is very passive aggressive. And my pressure is just me spacing my normals (like 5C > dash max range 5A > 5B stuff) or specials and waiting from a mistake from you. Making you impatient attempting to get away. A lot of people I play tend to say her j.D is extremely annoying it in the corner and it makes me wonder why other Labrys's dont do it as well. I guess I just really like her D normals. Labrys's pressure is very unorthodox and I cant really explain how to go about it. Just.... improvise and get your spacing down I suppose. 8/10, Im improvising my blockstrings.

I agree with my combos not being the best, thats always been my problem with her. I even have combos and combo videos saved in a folder I keep telling myslf to go over to learn all the optimal stuff. But I never practice them enough in training to be able to consistently do them in matches. But since youve pointed it out Im really going to put my mind to it.

My hitconfirming is usually on point but with Labrys is so-so. Since some of the confirms are weird, like 2B sending them freaking flying. One thing I do do with CH j.B air to air is just j.A j.C > j.214B. While a lot of people attempt 2B relaunch. Which fails from time to time. I'd rather be able to consistently do a knockdown than drop the combo occasionally.

Surf, you got a solid Labrys. Not scrubby at all! Not sure what else I can add that you don't already know; my labrys is really scrubby :)

I think in that Labrys match up, you could have tried more 5A meaty on tsurugi oki instead ... mix up with something like 5A > IAD, 5A > AoA, 5A > 2AB, etc.

On the yukiko match up, you should try to punish the super with your DP. I think one time you were able to counter with a throw, but DP is probably a safer bet in that case. And I guess make sure to not drop your super. I think I saw you not do super on match point where, you had red ax and the yukiko had fraction health after you landed the bnb.

And careful with the bursts I guess. Make sure to not burst right outside of awakening. Lot of the stuff I mention, I don't really do well myself >.> I'm also making more effort to do the SP combo to raise ax level/oki. I always end up doing 5 AAA > 236B > 6AB > J.AA > air combo instead. I mash 5A too much.

I know what time your taking about with the super. It happens in the Aki video too. Its either im not paying attention to my meter (which is rare) or i dont think itll hit 50 sp by the end of the combo. And when i see it does its too late to go into super, so i just do nothing in those cases.

And careful with the bursts I guess. Make sure to not burst right outside of awakening. Lot of the stuff I mention, I don't really do well myself >.> I'm also making more effort to do the SP combo to raise ax level/oki. I always end up doing 5 AAA > 236B > 6AB > J.AA > air combo instead. I mash 5A too much.

Nothing reallly wrong with mashing A (Labrys has one of the best auto-combos in the game) but if you have 25 meter you should try hitconfirming 5AA into 214AB instead of 236B -> AB followup. I'm pretty sure the latter gives you high yellow from green vs guaranteed red if you just hitconfirm one less A. Well my playstyle doesn't push red axe at all so I save my meter hahaha (if I get it, I use it, otherwise w.e)

When I have youtube access... I'll do a real critique lolwork