Sign in to follow this  
MikelAL93

[P4A] Yukiko Amagi - Q&A/FAQ Thread

Hold A for the 236a before doing the super, otherwise it'll knock them out of the combo before your super connects.

You don't actually need to hold A for the super to connect, you can hold the button you used to activate the super (C or D). That way you get the damage from the 236A explosion. Of course, you can hold the explosion for oki or to cover a fire boost/break charge after the super finishes.

Comboing into Maragidyne (214214D) is a little weirder. The only way I get it reliably is if I hold 236B until the super flash happens, then I release B and the combo connects. If the 236B explodes before the super flash, the Maragidyne doesn't hit.

After a 2B anti-air, what is a good way to follow up? From the wiki I guess I'm supposed to IAD A + A Agi hold + land + combo but I don't find it very consistent.

I guess I have to suck it up and practice hit confirm but I was wondering if there's a simpler confirm with something that is not optimal, but decent enough damage.

As was mentioned before, it depends on whether or not you get counterhit. Normally (I think) to be able to react to an anti-air 2B and combo, it has to be counterhit. In that case, if you're having trouble with the IAD, then you'll just need to practice it. If you're having trouble with connecting a combo after you land a j.236A, that's normal since it's kinda height dependent. You can opt for just doing IAD j.A > j.236A > j.236B which gives you two Agis in a combo and a B Agi knockdown where you can set up 2/3D oki stuff.

Thanks, I'm going to try that later. Is there anything else I should be practicing in training mode aside from combos?

I think the most important thing to practice other than combos is learning fan trajectories. Try and learn what fan will hit an opponent from any range. That'll help a lot. Practice stuff like:

jumpcancel > airbackdash > fanthrow

superjump > fanthrow > backdash

Because you'll be using them a lot in your spacing game.

Get used to doing 5AA > jc. It's easy to get into the habit of doing your b&b as a blockstring (5AA 5B 5C 2C . . . ) but doing that as a blockstring can get you killed against some characters.

I'd also recommend practicing blockstrings, combos and mixups after a 2/3D that leaves your persona behind your opponent. When I first started doing stuff like that I always wanted to reverse my inputs since the persona was on the other side, but you aren't supposed to.

You don't actually need to hold A for the super to connect, you can hold the button you used to activate the super (C or D). That way you get the damage from the 236A explosion. Of course, you can hold the explosion for oki or to cover a fire boost/break charge after the super finishes.

Comboing into Maragidyne (214214D) is a little weirder. The only way I get it reliably is if I hold 236B until the super flash happens, then I release B and the combo connects. If the 236B explodes before the super flash, the Maragidyne doesn't hit.

Yeah, I have to agree with the comboing into Maragidyne part. At times, it will lead into an invalid combo or it just won't connect at all. Truth be told, I don't recommend ending your combos with Maragidyne at all (Namely the C version).

I'm not sure what you mean about comboing into Maragidyne being weird; it's all a matter of spacing and how much hitstun decay you have in the combo. B Agi will almost never send the opponent directly into the first pillar that spawns from D Maragidyne, so you need to pop the Agi so that the opponent won't have recovered before the flames reach them; the superflash happens to be an ideal point in a basic combo (5AA 5B 5C 2C 236 214214D]B[), though if memory serves, you can actually delay it by a bit after the super flash (but not too much, or they'll hit the ground). Sadly, the Agi doesn't seem to have enough hitstun left at the end of Yukiko's bigger combos, so you can't do this following something like Maragi loops. On the other hand, comboing into D Maragidyne does provide a beautiful unblockable setup while giving you around 2.8~3k damage from the basic combo on a standing opponent, so it seems a fair trade.

Comboing into C Maragidyne is generally trickier given the basic nature of the move, but still possible. I know it works off a short string into A Agi, and theoretically (I haven't tried this), should be possible if you do a reversed persona combo that sends the opponent flying next to you with a B Agi (the sort where you'd normally follow up with 5AA; a reversed basic combo into D Maragidyne). That should allow for an unblockable D Maragidyne follow up if you have the meter and wait for their tech. I don't think you'd be able to get anything off an unblockable SB Agi in this situation...

I'm not sure what you mean about comboing into Maragidyne being weird; it's all a matter of spacing and how much hitstun decay you have in the combo. B Agi will almost never send the opponent directly into the first pillar that spawns from D Maragidyne' date=' so you need to pop the Agi so that the opponent won't have recovered before the flames reach them; the superflash happens to be an ideal point in a basic combo (5AA 5B 5C 2C 236[b'] 214214D]B[), though if memory serves, you can actually delay it by a bit after the super flash (but not too much, or they'll hit the ground).

Yeah, that's what I mean about 'weirder'. If you just want to combo into an Agidyne, it's as simple as holding down a button, since you can either store or pop the Agi explosion. With the Maragidyne you have to change the mindset just a little, making sure you hold B, do the super, and then release B.

Are the chances high for a landing a CH 5D? I just watched a combo vid showing combos off a counter hit 5D, but I don't feel like I hit the opponent with it very often. It's pretty easy to see a gigantic persona coming straight at you.

i feel like with the nature of yukiko, we need to have a thread for blockstrings/frame traps

is anyone down to make a thread like this?

i feel like with the nature of yukiko, we need to have a thread for blockstrings/frame traps

I guess I will make a thread like that, but it may take some time unless we have some blockstrings to add to it.

Edited by MikelAL93

I came here to say this. I feel like you can block low the whole match against Yukiko and have no problem.

I can't seem to figure out any good days to set up a high, even when I do, I can't land fast enough to finish the combo (if a j.a connects)

I came here to say this. I feel like you can block low the whole match against Yukiko and have no problem.

I can't seem to figure out any good days to set up a high, even when I do, I can't land fast enough to finish the combo (if a j.a connects)

I have the same problem. Blockstrings that lead to jc > instant backdash j.A can be kinda tricky sometimes but it's pretty telegraphed. I'm kinda interested in trying to find some throw setups to at least add to her mixup potential but ... yeah.

I think her only real overhead mixups are 2D/j.D and AoA, though in the case of the overhead D it's usually accompanied by a low to force an unblockable rather than mixing things up. While her AoA is indeed slow, the fact that nearly all of her stuff is either low or mid makes it a less thought of option from the opponent blocking.

don't forget that this game is HEAVILY based on frame traps rather than full on high/low, left/right mix-ups. 90% of the time watching a video people get hit because of a frame trap instead of side mix-up...so I'd say work on that as well if you haven't already.

does anyone have any theories of the usefulness of EX maragi?

the only thing i can think of is creating a whole bunch of stuff everywhere quick.

since the recovery is better than D maragi at least. you can throw it out, toss a fan upward and buffer the C pillar input

any thoughts?

Getting a bit more damage out of corner Maragi combos (à la challenge 30) and for being needlessly flashy; not that there's anything wrong with showing off. My main gripe with it combo-wise is that it actually seems to return a bit less damage than less extravagant variations (at least whenever it isn't used as a corner Maragi loop starter). You might be able to use it in blockstrings to provide enough time to setup high/low unblockables. Not with the maragis themselves, but use them to keep them pinned long enough to score 2A/2D or something. Nope, testing said otherwise.

Edited by Ryd'

does anyone have any theories of the usefulness of EX maragi?

the only thing i can think of is creating a whole bunch of stuff everywhere quick.

since the recovery is better than D maragi at least. you can throw it out, toss a fan upward and buffer the C pillar input

any thoughts?

That is one creative way to do combos with SB Maragi.

I'd use SB Maragi as a combo starter with the D pillar hitting the opponent from below, followed by Yukiko's fans or 5D Persona attacks and the C pillar buffer after you dash if the D pillar detonates on your opponent.

Another useful tactic for SB Maragi is when you are using it to go under a full-screen projectile like Narukami's Ziodyne and Elizabeth's Maziodyne, the recovery on it will help you guard against those projectiles after you summon the fireballs, but be sure to buffer the C pillar after you attack your opponent with your fans to extend your combo. You can also dash after the D pillar attacks the opponent, but be sure you use 6B because your fans will go fast enough to reach your opponent.

Edited by MikelAL93

I'd like to ask what might be a simple question but since I'd like to be able to do the move more regularly I think I need some help.

I'm trying to do Yukiko's challenge number 26: 5A > 5A > 5B > 5B > air 236[A+B] > release A > release B > 5A > 5A > 5A

My problem is going from the second 5B to air 236[A+B]. I do a 2369[A+B]. While it certainly helps to not go too high and waste time, I still rarely can get it to combo with the second 5B.

So, is there a better way to pull it off, or a certain distance I should be trying it?

Also, the second 5B can be cancelled into other moves?

Just do it as fast as you can without canceling your jump before you leave the ground; that's all there really is to it.

5BB can be canceled into just about anything 5B can be canceled into. Whether things will combo or not depends on spacing.

I feel like every match I get into, I'm so focused on keeping the opponent out/creating distance. I know pure zoning has its downsides so what are situations that are good for rushing down with Yukiko?

Depends on the character you're up against. Zoning has downsides in that most characters can just block Yukiko from full screen and not have to worry about much. If they aren't pushing buttons, they don't get hit. When you go in, some of the pressure is trying to trick them into pushing buttons so you can hit them with your Persona or far-reaching normals.

You can approach most characters by setting an Agi on top of them, or SB Agi and release if they try anything. You can also approach behind a moving Maragi pillar (C is best). You can also get aggressive after activating a Fire Break. People tend to panic when an unblockable is staring them in the face.

But you have to pick the right time to switch between these modes. Obviously if you have an 80% lifelead vs. a character like Kanji, just keep him out unless a really obvious situation arises where you can do something.

I find that I rarely use maragi c since the startup is so slow. The thing I find most challenging with this char so far is the intermediate to close range game because her normals seem to be slower than those of most of the cast. That's why I try to stay away and bait them into agi's or fans since people are impatient.

In most of the matches I've seen u play, you seem to stay in the intermediate range (5c, 2c range) and play in the air a lot. When I try to play from that range, my normals are usually beat out by faster attacks.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

Intermediate range isn't something you should be afraid of in a lot of matchups. 5A is extremely good and covers a lot of space... Plus it's jump cancellable, so from a 5A you can go either way; jump airdash in to close the gap, or jump backdash to give yourself more space. It really comes down to the 5A, so trying this stuff against Mitsuru's 5A or Kuma's 5B is more dangerous, and you should try to play a strong zoning game against them (Mitsuru in general can be pinned pretty well by just 3D, 5B at max range as long as they don't have meter for EX Coup).

Up close is the real issue. 2A is very good, though, with decent range and goes under a lot of moves.

You have to read tendencies, too. Intermediate range is great if your opponent loves to press buttons, because 5A and 5C/2C really help out a lot. If they're blocking everything, you either have to get in closer to try and go for a throw, mix in an AoA at max range, or build more space and start leveling your fire or activating a break.

If you play an air game, you have to be really mindful of the recovery on j.B. Stuff like Narukami slide or Akihiko's killrush can wreck it, so mix it up with j.A, j.C or empty jump every so often. j.D also is great... get used to the ranges and try to set up a j.D behind your opponent so you sandwich them a la puppet character. It creates an uncomfortable position for your opponent.

Thanks for the help. You seem to be the only Yukiko left that's still active in the forums. Do you think we can play a few matches sometime? I'm still god awful at this game and I don't know if mirrors mean anything in P4A, but I'd love to learn a few things from an established player.