Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kosmos badgirl

[CP] News & Gameplay Discussion (Old)

He gets around 4 If I remember right. Same works with Tsubaki who gets like 3 charges by doing instant OD at start.

Also interesting to do with Amane to get level 3 drill heat right out of the game. It is potentially an advantage you can leverage over the entire rest of the round.

I'm not so sure that blowing your OD at the beginning just for some more stars/charges is a smart idea.

Well, I guess it could work in the "completely out of left field option that catches your opponent off guard" way.

If you manage to drag out the match for quite a bit after using your OD, then odds are that you'll get another chance to use it that same round. At that time, you can use it either as a Burst or as a reversal OD. If you manage to drag out the round for that long, then you're probably going to be at pretty low health, which is when OD is at its strongest.

In the 11/21 Bururaji episode, Mori mentions that Burst/OD regenerates as you get hit. That and if you use your Burst for an OD, then you get a bit of your Burst gauge back. So yeah, for characters like Hakumen and Tsubaki, using their OD right away is actually a pretty sound idea.

There's that and using their OD at the start of a match helps to draw out and intercept those "first strikes". Some people start out with an attack while others back dash/IAD back to get some distance. If you're able to recognize the start-up animation of attacks, then you can intercept them with a reversal, a move that low profiles under it, a fast move, or you can jump over them.

The burst gauge also refills if you finish a match while in OD, I think you get back something like 30% of it so sealing the match with it or using it right away sounds like a good plan. The issue is that at the time where OD would last the longest, people are used to bursting. We'll have a lot of people simply forget the new option and picking a good-ole burst for quite some time, until at least people master OD combos and confirms from OD cancels and stuff.

For Hakumen I think early OD is the strongest, Izayoi seems to be able to get charges relatively easily with her projectile and also expends them as a quick pace so just having 4 charges right away doesn't seem that great when compared to a nasty OD-cancel combo. Tsubaki is in-between them I'd say.

The burst gauge also refills if you finish a match while in OD, I think you get back something like 30% of it so sealing the match with it or using it right away sounds like a good plan.

Actually, you get about 33% of your Burst gauge back the moment OD ends, whether you finish the round with it or not.

Out of curiosity, what if you OD at the beginning of a match, and thrash your opponent? What's to stop you from ceasing your attack with them at 1hp so that you can draw out the round to recharge your burst?

Out of curiosity, what if you OD at the beginning of a match, and thrash your opponent? What's to stop you from ceasing your attack with them at 1hp so that you can draw out the round to recharge your burst?

You mean aside from the fact that incredible comebacks happen all the time? OD on start is a tactic to give yourself a slight advantage from the get-go, it's not an all powerful move. Sacrificing a round for it is not worth it.

You mean aside from the fact that incredible comebacks happen all the time? OD on start is a tactic to give yourself a slight advantage from the get-go, it's not an all powerful move. Sacrificing a round for it is not worth it.

Still can become a effectives weapon though,but maybe not as effectives,when your health is low.

Not exactly what I mean. Let's say you have full health, and your opponent is a jab away from death. Comebacks do happen, but that would be an amazing comeback. Couldn't you drag things out for 10 or 20 seconds before finishing them off?

Not exactly what I mean. Let's say you have full health, and your opponent is a jab away from death. Comebacks do happen, but that would be an amazing comeback. Couldn't you drag things out for 10 or 20 seconds before finishing them off?

This could work for both sides, if you drag out the battle then either they will get their burst/OD back faster in the next round as well. Also if you leave your opponent at low health they might get enough heat and maybe even their OD back for a comeback (seeing that someone said that you get your burst and OD faster back when being hit) Especially if your opponent is Hakumen or maybe Mu or Amane :p.

I've done those type of comebacks where I have a pixel of health left and my opponent has nearly full health. I wouldn't risk giving my opponent a chance to run it back just to get my OD back. After all, Tsubaki, Hakumen, Amane, and Izayoi might use their OD at the start of the round just so that they can increase their chances at winning.

Watch this match: www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKgis_X4Rx4#t=7m31s

Hakumen uses his OD at the start of the round and gets it back by the end of it. The fight did drag on for quite a bit and that's why he was able to get it back. He wasn't showing any mercy though, it just happened.

Here's what we know about Burst and ODs:

- Getting hit boosts the Burst gauge recovery rate.

- If you use your Burst for an OD, you'll get 1/3rd of it back when your OD ends.

- Full invincibility start-up for ODs

- You can't Burst out of OD combos

- Using OD freezes the timer, allowing you to get a couple more seconds to either kill your opponent or get the life lead before time runs out.

I plan to use OD much more often than defensive Bursts. The pros just outweigh the cons of not having a defensive Burst when shit hits the fan.

Was there something to do with getting an OverDrive finish giving you a bit of your OD back as well?

This literally happened to me in GG today, I had a complete perfect going, they had literally NO health, but one mistake must've like mentally demoralized me cause I ended up loosing the round .__.

Haha, just never say never, all things are a matter of risk & reward.

That Haku match where he uses OD at first didn't seem like it helped that much. I mean, what's the big rush? It's not like, just because you have stars, suddenly you're going to be able to hit them. You're still going to spend a good 10 or more seconds playing neutral either way, and during that time you'll gain stars. When he finally did a combo that used stars, he used like 4 stars, which he would have had anyway if he hadn't used OD. So in the end him using OD made no difference.

I can see how it could be useful, but a lot of the time by the time I actually get in on the opponent I have tons of stars anyway. And now his meter gain is faster.

That Haku match where he uses OD at first didn't seem like it helped that much. I mean, what's the big rush? It's not like, just because you have stars, suddenly you're going to be able to hit them.

You're not suddenly going to be able to hit them but if you do hit them that early on, then you'll have the stars to capitalize on that hit-confirm.

Then again, I don't play Hakumen, so my input probably doesn't matter :v:

Eh, for all I know I'll end up using it at the start of the match since I'm pretty aggressive without stars anyway. Don't need stars to mess with people with 6B/3C and tick throws.

Biggest advantage I can see is the difference in resources. You'd have some meter and they haven't had a chance to build any up yet.

It's worth noting that you can burst if you're blocking an OD'd opponent.

What makes you say that?
I don't even have a real answer to give you, Sol. To me they just look like they were added in "Just because". Other than that I genuinely have nothing else to back it up aside from my own opinion.

My very unscientific observation has shown that the OD/Burst gauge recharges in about 45s.

So OD'ing right off the bat might not be such a bad proposition after all since matches can easily go on for 45-60s. Whether you win or lose the round, you'll have your gauge back in no time.