Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jourdal

[P4A] Mitsuru VS Kanji Tatsumi

This match up can be a little difficult for anyone who hasn't fought a good Kanji. Careful on how to approach him with air dashing or jumping. Do not j.a or j.b without spacing these tools. If you space wrong he will do a command grab with the invincibility frame he has during the command. Be weary if you're far away from him, for he might do his dive grab(easily avoided by crouching, most Kanji's will only use the dive grab if ur in the air jumping. Can use j.a to poke him out of it as well). The key to this battle is spacing him out and watch out for and DPs. When up close try to rush him down and not risk any resets or set ups without baiting ur Kanji opponent. Using ur D is a great way to keep him to stay as far away as possible. In most cases they will use the lightning move to space u out. That's my personal experience against fighting him. Other then that I have a terribly hard time fighting him GL!

This matchup is somewhat frustrating for me. The pros in this matchup can include how easily you can poke his persona attacks and apply somewhat safe pressure (Just look out for shock counter). Getsu-ei and jA are good counters for the spiderman dive air-to-air. 4B and hop jC are decent for dodging grabs. (Timed correctly) You have pretty good anti-air options but jC fatal counter can keep you somewhat respectful. I suggest bursting that if you get hit by it since there really aren't many ways to use your burst in this matchup. His chair normals honestly are no match for yours besides that.

Other then that learning to punish whiffed bullcrap was half the journey for me. Unless you can really get FC 5B/6B after blocking counter or dodging grabs, I found I really had to practice my 5A 2AB B coup counterhit confirm, and spend the 50sp when I had it to do 5A 2AB OMC.

Overall a lot depends whether I have the lead, and when I do have it I'm constantly on the look out for awakening grab.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I also need advice on this matchup... you can't really pressure him, and both people seem to want to stay far the fuck away from each other... it's a dumb matchup.

try poking him at max range, wathching out for dp, until he make a mistake, then [6b] him and go for the damage, [4b] let yoy in a safe position in blockstring.

I also need advice on this matchup... you can't really pressure him, and both people seem to want to stay far the fuck away from each other... it's a dumb matchup.

yea thats where im at on this pretty much; u can stay out of his range where he can easily block ur non existent mixup pressure; or get closer and have a better chance at damage as well as getting grabbed. For me i need to learn to capitalize on my confirms better; most of the counter hits on him are him standing tho so im not sure what to do on that; and i can only fatal him on his dp whiffs. when i jump his command grab i dont really have a good punish for it either. Maybe something like j.b>j.C>c bufula etc but my confirms in general are still kinda bad; ive just been doin like j.b counter hit 5AAAA coup

If you ever want to make a decently safe read that Kanji is gonna mash DP, you can sacrifice your Persona and either do j.C or 5C. The DP will effect your Persona and you'll lose a card, but you get a free punish.

Plus, this is one of those matchups where it's gonna be rare that Kanji will hit and Persona break you, nor are you heavily disadvantaged in the matchup when you're missing your Persona 'cause, you know, you still have your god damned 5A.

From what I've seen, if Kanji likes to jump around, get in his face with airthrows. That advice about baiting DPs with j.C is fantastic, and I'm going to try it. If he's respecting you, you can pressure him for free with pokes, but be weary of DP. I would avoid normal mixup unless you know what his particular command throw habits are, and then you can bait them by using jump cancels. Breaking his persona is pretty easy and he loses a shitton of damage when you do that. However, don't mindlessly run in after breaking it... he still has the batman dive and it's still annoying.

Also, be careful about super cancelling if you DP. Kanji can whiff a command throw to avoid the super and recover before you do. I'm not sure if this works, but you can try delaying Bufudyne. Alternatively, if you have the meter, you can stop his punish with a second bufudyne cancel.

i have tried it and j.c is the best punish, since it doent even take you a card if you are spacing right and he dps your j.c. kanji only solution to j.c is his persona anti air throw. and 2b works pretty well, to punish every jump he does.

I'm fairly certain of this (I originally mained Kanji). If you break his persona, there is almost nothing he can do. The command throws (214C/D) do require him to have his persona, as well as his DP. He does still have a normal grab, but it's slow compared to most (The range is decent, though).

Having these two as my mains, and spending lots of time on both sides of this, I can safely say that this is wayyyyy in Mitsuru's favor. Sure, he can punish you and it's scary to see his damage when you do something silly, but he has pretty much no options. Poke the crap out of him and just be weary of his DP. BCoup at max range is pretty much safe as well, unless he times his DP really well.

If you have a big enough lifelead and don't want to risk losing it, just sit back and crouch. If he approaches you on the ground you can poke him, and if he tries to jump at you just punish with 2B. Even if it wiffs against the batman dive, he'll still miss you because you'll be crouching. And if he hits you with a j.B, he still can't get good damage off of it.

Think of it as playing against a good tager, it's more about knowing the matchup than being good with Mitsuru in the first place. Once you understand how Kanji works, it's easy to see why he's bottom tier (Though, still a force to be wreckened with)

Oh ya, one more thing. Avoid jumping too much if you are spaced out because his j.214AB (AKA the mega batman dive) will auto track onto you from the other side of the screen. If he has a burst handy and you're near the corner, prepare for a 5.5k combo without the need of extra heat.

idk bout wayyyy in mitsuru favor; but i agree it should b in her favor if u line up both of their tools. just havent been able to find a good rhythm to constantly win. I play against my friends kanji normally and i always win majority; but it seems like im just rolling dice half the time. i suppose i would get alot more wins if i just poke him a few times then down back and wait for time and let him come at me tho.

Oh ya, one more thing. Avoid jumping too much if you are spaced out because his j.214AB (AKA the mega batman dive) will auto track onto you from the other side of the screen. If he has a burst handy and you're near the corner, prepare for a 5.5k combo without the need of extra heat.

j.214AB is irrelevant in this matchup. If you're ever caught in the air against Kanji and you see it happen, you still have access to your DP in the air, which makes the option just horrible in general.

And this matchup is so free for Mitsuru.

4B

ANSWERS

EVERYTHING

Played this matchup more, now I pretty much think this matchup is terrible for Kanji.

Mitsuru makes him hurt so much for every risk he takes. She can use 4B and 5B to move during shock. jA stops everything he tries (Confirm into jD off counterhit). Bufudyne beats his awakening, delayed grab, counter etc.

He's still a bitch to fight, and you will have to play differently against him. But it should be tough for him to get started.

From playing a couple of different Kanjis. I have had a lot of success using Artemisia's D attacks. It prevents Kanji from calling thunder down while removing a persona card and if he tries to air tackle you, you can react with a DP.

At close range I like the idea of using j.C because Kanji's DP will punish any of Mitsuru's pokes at any range. And whenever Kanji is in the air, 2b beats all of his options.

It's pretty difficult for him to apply pressure against mitsuru. Even if he shocks you, your normals can beat out most if his attempts to get close. Unless you're reacting to something, try not to DP too often. His fatal counters can easily (EASILY!) break 5k without heat. At the very least expect him to command grab.

Even against his dive (which good Kanji's shouldn't be doing often) you shouldn't DP unless you freak out. Mitsuru's 2B get's awesome damage and has no standing frames. So even if you wiff, his dive will still miss you flat out, giving you a free punish in most cases.

If you block his DP, you should have enough time to counter with a fully charged 4B, At least a regular one. Enjoy the free win.

It's pretty difficult for him to apply pressure against mitsuru. Even if he shocks you, your normals can beat out most if his attempts to get close. Unless you're reacting to something, try not to DP too often. His fatal counters can easily (EASILY!) break 5k without heat. At the very least expect him to command grab.

Even against his dive (which good Kanji's shouldn't be doing often) you shouldn't DP unless you freak out. Mitsuru's 2B get's awesome damage and has no standing frames. So even if you wiff, his dive will still miss you flat out, giving you a free punish in most cases.

If you block his DP, you should have enough time to counter with a fully charged 4B, At least a regular one. Enjoy the free win.

Depending on when you 2B, he may recover before you, and then you are sincerely fucked. Also, don't get locked into blocking by lightning. That shit is retarded - if Kanji is spaced well, he gets a free combo off that.

Depending on when you 2B, he may recover before you, and then you are sincerely fucked.

To be fair, I did say "in most cases". There are a lot of times when I 2B even when he goes right over my head which isn't good. But unless he ends up less than a foot from you, he can't do much more than just 2Ab > cruel attack