Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Setsuna

[P4A] Labrys vs Yu

Labrys_Vs_Yu_Header.png

Please use this thread to discuss and contribute to this matchup. Information will be added to the main post as information comes. Keep in mind that strats will be changed as the game evolves.

The Neutral Game

Long Range: Your Tools vs His Tools

Medium Range: Your Tools vs His Tools

Close Quarters: Your Tools vs His Tools

Offense

Your Offense:

His Offense:

Defense

Your Defense:

His Defense:

Gimmicks and Resets
-

Match Summary
-

What do you guys do against Yus 5D oki pressure strings, I haven't fought at Yus online who have completely mastered the full string yet but facing the OG Guilty Gear player in my area I was completely overwhelmed by his flawless succession of it. I wasn't able to roll or even attempt DP and I could do was block. I'm pretty sure I can condition myself to block the high lows in time but what bugged me was when it would sometimes roll through me and have Izanagi catch me with the follow up attack of 5D.

For those who don't know what I'm talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIwQPRTzY3c

You can't do anything but block (not including guard cancels and bursts) right? Isn't that way it is so good?

To my knowledge yeah, this particular player loved to converse his meter too so I would fall for Raging A OMC into low almost everytime. He would also end all his combos/confirms into knockdowns so I'm always going to eat that oki from the smallest tap. I ended up using guard cancels and bursts to get out but I can't just depend on those.

Wow...Yuu's sweep is soooooo unsafe...

If he's doing oki and combo's into sweep. If he does not use Izanagi to cover the recovery, punish that to hell...

On a similar note, it might not hurt to learn some Yuu pressure strings. Experimenting with when to take a hit might be one way to get out. I'm sure certain moves are easier to hitconfirm into knockdown or even combo into knockdown than others.

Wow...Yuu's sweep is soooooo unsafe...

If he's doing oki and combo's into sweep. If he does not use Izanagi to cover the recovery, punish that to hell...

On a similar note, it might not hurt to learn some Yuu pressure strings. Experimenting with when to take a hit might be one way to get out. I'm sure certain moves are easier to hitconfirm into knockdown or even combo into knockdown than others.

The Yus I fight don't just throw it out there, if they can get a hit confirm with 5B they do just a simple 5B > 2B > 2A+B > 5D or even catch me with 2A pokes into it and immediately go into Oki.

I feel as if my knowledge of Yu is lacking where my experimenting might not give me the best results but I'll try what I can based on the video I linked above.

I'm pretty positive there isn't anything that you can do during his oki. I believe it is extremely safe for him and one of his strengths. Though you could ask ShinSyn if Yu's oki has any weak spots in it.

It really really all depends on what the Yu decides to do. He can safely bait everyone's DP's (outside of his own and Akihiko's, who are air unblockable) simply by jumping forward and blocking. If he confirms that you are in fact blocking Izanagi, he can then

-do j.A or j.B, which both hit high

-empty jump 2A, which hits low

-empty jump A+B, which hits high

-air dash and do any of the following for added confusion

And all the while force you to block thanks to the 5D follow up. 5D is also good for ticking throws, once he knows you're respecting, and he can combo off throws in the corner. Should he choose to stay on the ground, he can use Raging Lion A or B, which both hit high, as well as command dodge through you to bait DPs, thanks to the invul on dodges, and this will cross you up, sandwiching you between him and Izanagi.

Really, your best bet to beat it is to tech and block the incoming mix-up. Since ALL of Yu's persona normals hit mid (even j.C and j.D), just watch Yu and his animations, and don't worry about the persona itself. That'll make it easier to block the mix-up. Yu's pressure is pretty average, and if he doesn't use meter, will more likely than not end in him putting himself back in a neutral position in order to remain safe, should you not get hit. Yu has no real safe way of resetting pressure without the use of meter. So if you block everything, you get out and back at neutral, where Labrys is strong too. You could always record the training dummy to perform all of these (thanks be praised for multiple recording slots) to practice blocking his options.

And like Toan said, you can always just block either him or Izanagi and Guard Cancel Attack to blow him away. Keep in mind that uses 50 meter, and he can bait it just like he baits DPs too. And that's not a fun punish to eat.

It's hard to deal with, but just learn to read your opponent and his habits, as well as practice against his options in training mode and you'll have a better chance. Hope this helps.

tl;dr Yu can do whatever he wants off this, learn2block

Thank you for your feedback LuminAbyss, I haven't gotten a chance to really apply this yet since I go straight for the Guard Cancel / Burst or I just roll out because I fight scrub Yus but I'll definitely do that in training mode when I get the chance.

I can't do anything in this MU, plz help me trick the game into thinking I can.

As dumb as it may sound, playing Labrys is largely about making good reads and blocking well. If you block effectively and can correctly guess when the opponent will do a move that you can actually beat, you can get yourself out of sticky situations and turn things around.

In particular, against Narukami, he usually has to do something unsafe in his blockstring after he uses up his persona moves, so you always have a chance to make a good call.

Otherwise, if you can't figure out when to make your move, once you're on the defensive Labrys is pretty much toast. You get one chance in the form of bursting, and another in the form of Guard Cancels, and then you're out of choices.

In neutral, the matchup against Narukami isn't terrible. While he has fast normals that can match or beat your normals in range and speed, your options are still quite viable against him. Sweep, j.B, air guillotines to call-out anti-airs, all of that stuff works against him. Once you have pressure, keeping it isn't that difficult against him, either. While his furious action isn't terrible, you can stay out of range of it or beat it out with hard call outs (like an AOA on his wakeup). The only thing you really have to be careful for when he's on the defensive is his Cross Slash, which he only gets in awakening mode.

Just remember, your goal in pretty much every match in this game is to not be forced to block. Labrys' defensive options are so terrible that against a large number of the characters, she's just dead once she starts blocking. This is most notable against Chie, where the matchup is arguably unwinnable if Chie plays it correctly.

I only got a second, but the keyword is 'not forced to block', not 'not block', since the moment you are forced to block (which is probably gonna happen) you're gonna have to block or eat a boatload of dicks. Actually, you'll probably eat a boatload of dicks either way. Consider getting hit to end your suffering. :3c

but yeah, do well on neutral, and...be right. aw yeeee.

In neutral, the matchup against Narukami isn't terrible. While he has fast normals that can match or beat your normals in range and speed, your options are still quite viable against him. Sweep, j.B, air guillotines to call-out anti-airs, all of that stuff works against him.

If you don't mind, could you elaborate on sweep? I can think of ways that would be situationally useful, but I don't know if that's how you mean.

As for j.B, that's almost never works in my experience. Air-to-ground, I lose to 2B or DP, air-to-air, I lose to j.B or 214A/B; hell, I remember seeing SKD recommend to Tectal (at least, I think it was Tectal) to just not go air-to-air against Narukami.

While his furious action isn't terrible, you can stay out of range of it or beat it out with hard call outs (like an AOA on his wakeup). The only thing you really have to be careful for when he's on the defensive is his Cross Slash, which he only gets in awakening mode.

Ugh, Cross Slash. Bane of this MU.

Anyway, it seems that players tend to get reliant on his DP, so I often just block. The problem there is when he does something other than DP, which is what really annoys me about the first hit being AUB, 'cause being in the air would make my oki strats much easier.

Sweep is situationally useful, mostly due to its raw range.

I agree with SKD's recommendation. Don't directly challenge Narukami air-to-air, because his air normals are both faster than j.B and can match j.B in range. Air-to-air, Labrys' air normals are more useful for spacing purposes, not for approach. Only use her air normals for air-to-air if you think the Narukami player will do something you can actually beat.

Instead, j.B is more useful as an oki or pressure option. As oki, you can safe-jump j.B against Narukami's furious action, seeing as how it's a traditional dragon punch with invulnerability, not guard point or a counter attack.

Air-to-ground, you can make call outs against his 2B with aerial guillotines. Air backdash j.B is fairly decent, as well, just for its odd movement and fall timing. If he is choosing to use DPs while you're high in the air, something's pretty wrong. If he's doing it when you're close to the ground, well... you probably shouldn't be that close to the ground with air-to-ground against Naru in neutral.

Also worth noting is that Narukami doesn't really enjoy the air-to-ground approach against Labrys very much, either. Her 2B is fairly good at stuffing any sort of raw jump-in from Narukami, so you usually won't see his air-to-ground game thrown out as much until he has persona lockdown going. He does have notably more options than Labrys for air-to-ground, though, so it's still more viable for him to approach that way than it is for Labrys to.

Honestly, even in neutral, a lot of the game for Labrys revolves around making correct calls about what the opponent is going to do. Playing a solid spacing game and trying to limit the opponent's options makes this a bit easier, but it's still an annoying game to play.

Air-to-ground, you can make call outs against his 2B with aerial guillotines. Air backdash j.B is fairly decent, as well, just for its odd movement and fall timing. If he is choosing to use DPs while you're high in the air, something's pretty wrong. If he's doing it when you're close to the ground, well... you probably shouldn't be that close to the ground with air-to-ground against Naru in neutral.

I wasn't saying he DPs when I'm high in the air or that I usually get hit by it at the height the first hit connects, just that it's annoying I can't bait it with a jump like I can with, say, Mitsuru's. Probably could've worded that better in my previous post.

Also worth noting is that Narukami doesn't really enjoy the air-to-ground approach against Labrys very much, either. Her 2B is fairly good at stuffing any sort of raw jump-in from Narukami, so you usually won't see his air-to-ground game thrown out as much until he has persona lockdown going. He does have notably more options than Labrys for air-to-ground, though, so it's still more viable for him to approach that way than it is for Labrys to.

2B may be a decent AA, but I've learned not to rely on it too much. As you say, it'll beat out normal air approaches, but it's best to keep an eye for if he uses Raging Lion, since the A version can get Labrys if she uses 2B a bit late and the B version can catch her on recovery. But luckily, you can throw any version if you block it, so that should help.

Honestly, even in neutral, a lot of the game for Labrys revolves around making correct calls about what the opponent is going to do. Playing a solid spacing game and trying to limit the opponent's options makes this a bit easier, but it's still an annoying game to play.

That seems to be common in these kind of MUs. I'm still working on both my spacing and my reads, but hopefully, I can retain what you've posted. Thanks for the advice.