Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chazmobile

[P4A] Yosuke vs Labrys

As far as I know, the good ones spam J.B till they get in on you and destroy you. Running up and 2Bing isn't working reliably for me but I really wish I could hear kurushiis advice on this matchup.

I desperately need help with this matchup. Maybe it's because I simply don't play against many Labrys' but I usually do pretty bad against even bad Labrys players. It just seems like her attacks have so much priority and range, especially compared to Yosuke, and that damn autoguard DP.

One of the main things to know about Labrys is that she's free on the defense before she gets into awakening. Her fastest normals are 7 frames IIRC and her R-Action is quite frankly trash.

I haven't managed to test this but you should be able to R-Action her R-Action if you confirm that you've hit the auto-guard. This is made even easier by the fact that the start-up gets slower the more you hit it. There's always the option of OMC>block>2C FC punish seeing as she cannot OMC it (she can still super cancel with 50 meter though, in awakening she can go straight into gears super to make it safe.)

Labrys' normals do have very large hitboxes on them in general, but then again so do ours. Keep in mind ours are also a lot faster and our walk and dash speed far outclasses hers meaning that we have a leg up in the footsies war as well. Unfortunately, her 2b is pretty darn good and leads into good damage so be wary of jumping in recklessly, that being said it has massive recovery on whiff so baiting it will let you punish it.

Labrys is also a very momentum based character and once she hits red axe you will most probably die off the next hit. Luckily for us though, stopping that momentum really dents her gameplan seeing as it forces her to lose axe levels and her bad defense doesn't do her any favours. IB>5a or even IB>R-Actioning out of her pressure to shift momentum to you can really hurt Labrys.

I'll add some more to this post once I actually fight a good Labrys.

One of the main things to know about Labrys is that she's free on the defense before she gets into awakening. Her fastest normals are 7 frames IIRC and her R-Action is quite frankly trash.

I haven't managed to test this but you should be able to R-Action her R-Action if you confirm that you've hit the auto-guard. This is made even easier by the fact that the start-up gets slower the more you hit it. There's always the option of OMC>block>2C FC punish seeing as she cannot OMC it (she can still super cancel with 50 meter though, in awakening she can go straight into gears super to make it safe.)

Labrys' normals do have very large hitboxes on them in general, but then again so do ours. Keep in mind ours are also a lot faster and our walk and dash speed far outclasses hers meaning that we have a leg up in the footsies war as well. Unfortunately, her 2b is pretty darn good and leads into good damage so be wary of jumping in recklessly, that being said it has massive recovery on whiff so baiting it will let you punish it.

Labrys is also a very momentum based character and once she hits red axe you will most probably die off the next hit. Luckily for us though, stopping that momentum really dents her gameplan seeing as it forces her to lose axe levels and her bad defense doesn't do her any favours. IB>5a or even IB>R-Actioning out of her pressure to shift momentum to you can really hurt Labrys.

I'll add some more to this post once I actually fight a good Labrys.

Her 2B is actually pretty sweet, too. Low to the ground all the time and moves her a little bit. She can even hold it briefly. Going in on her in the air is fine, just be really mindful of that 2B. Make her scared to not block and that'll make approaching a little easier.

I'll actually refute that Yosuke 2B vs. Labrys j.B isn't a great idea. Yosuke's 2B is a fantastic anti-air and will hit even if she goes for the cross up due to the hitbox in the back. If the Labrys spaces the j.B it'll just clash which, if you can react or are expecting it to do so, lets you act accordingly.

Her 2B is actually pretty sweet, too. Low to the ground all the time and moves her a little bit. She can even hold it briefly. Going in on her in the air is fine, just be really mindful of that 2B. Make her scared to not block and that'll make approaching a little easier.

I'll actually refute that Yosuke 2B vs. Labrys j.B isn't a great idea. Yosuke's 2B is a fantastic anti-air and will hit even if she goes for the cross up due to the hitbox in the back. If the Labrys spaces the j.B it'll just clash which, if you can react or are expecting it to do so, lets you act accordingly.

Ah, yeah it's kinda weird. You have to do it a little early and use your run momentum to slide you under her. Or you could also just brake your dash early, make them whiff their forward hitbox of j.B and then run in and start your offense.

- St.C is imo, Labrys best poke. the startup isn't really fast but it covers ALOT of range, setups for high low during blockstrings at max range, special cancellable and it blows up chicken blocking and rolling.. If she knocks you down after guillotine and does this on our wakeup, DO NOT JUMP BACK it WILL hit thanks the whole "you can't block in the first few frames of your jump". DO NOT ROLL EITHER. you may dodge half of it but the last part WILL hit you. you have a choice of either blocking(which i kinda don't recommend, because you still have to guess will she sweep or guillotine) or you could Run up to her on wake up(trust me on this one) and DP her. bam problem solved.

- Labrys axe levels are very important to pay attention too.

Green or Below: she doesn't have as much frame advantage as she does in red axe. so if she comes at you with a "blockstring" that ends with Guillotine it leaves her at neutral.

Yellow: Damage increase and Hitstun. Meaning she can now combo into stuff she couldn't before.

Red: BEWARE. this is the danger zone for all of us. one knockdown with 50 meter, means death. this is the point where you MUST stay out of her attack range.

- 5A is a brilliant AA option in this matchup imo. especially if she goes for IAD j.B

-If she dps, you could block, however during awakening she could do the "Gears of War" Super. there are other ways, you could dp or jc with the first normal, you could garudyne(3348dmg) or if you want(i know i do :D) Activate Sukukaja; her dp will whiff and you get a free FC 2C.

- When Labrys gains her red axe, remain calm. do your best to create distance from her attack range. get a few little hits here and continue to keep away and that should kill off her axe meter.

- Gears of War Super. (Awakening Only) If you played; Blazblue, it's exactly like relius super cept labrys will be an animation for half of it's duration then she has time for liek one mixup(either a j.c crossup, AoA, or 2As for pressure) when cornered, labrys won't be afraid to use this. it's a get out of jail free card. Do NOT DP this, you'll trip her but you'll be caught within the gears and she's free to get a possible reset. i say the best way to handle this is either bait(jumping to the other side, OH! be careful how you punish her also, the gears remain active for awhile. get some distance from her then 2C) block OR if you think it's worth it you could guard cancel at the last minute before she's outta of animation. if you do it before you'll take the little damage she'll be knocked away and you'll both be at neutral.

- Don't just throw jiraiya out brainlessly. Labrys has an Air normal(J.D) air gears that stays active for a short time but jiraiya gets destroyed if thrown towards it.

- 2B is a normal you have to respect also since it looks like this lol

la231_08.png

and yes it hits behind her too. so try not to go glide crazy.

- eh.. wouldn't really note this down but why not. watch out for wakeup bull super. 236236 A/B. some try to use it as a get out of jail free card(which stumbles me because WHY NOT GEARS super!?) if you see her do this super. DP. you won't trip her but she'll go right through you since your invincible then you have a dead labrys on her way down..but the thing is..you CAN 2C fatal but if she lands on the floor she's not in CH state for some reason.

- here is a great example on how the matchup should be played. just hit and run :3