Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Skye

[P4A] Akihiko vs Naoto

TL;DR verdict: ??:??

Naoto's tools

Akihiko's answer to them

-----------------------

Akihiko's tools

Naoto's answer to them

Another cross-post from Mayonaka since this match-up will eventually give everyone trouble:

This match-up is surprisingly difficult for Akihiko. I played 16 matches with OmniScythe yesterday and lost all of them, BUT I learned a lot. Naoto has a very unusual moveset that makes it more difficult than normal for Akihiko to get in. Don't try to close distance with corkscrew or kill rush because you'll just run into a trap. EX kill rush may help since it has armor, though. Naoto's normals are fairly weak compared to other footsie-oriented characters, but Akihiko has no footsies at all so it doesn't matter. It can feel frustrating but Naoto is a glass cannon and will melt under Akihiko's pressure once he's close, so don't ever give up!

Things that help this match-up:

* Naoto's R-Action can be crossed up after a knockdown to make the follow-up whiff. I'm fairly sure it can be safe jumped too, but I need to test how quickly the follow-up can be activated.

* If you have a life lead, DO NOT APPROACH HER. She has no mid-full screen mixup so holding back will negate any damage. Navigating her jungle gym of traps is extremely difficult for Akihiko so use every opportunity you can to keep her out of that position. Remember: the more traps you get hit by, the faster she can instant kill you from any hit confirm into super.

* Save your burst for SMP combos. If you're playing a good Naoto then it will happen. Use it after she blows the meter for her super, and only on something she can't interrupt for a burst prediction like Double Fangs to be extra safe.

* If you corner her, WATCH OUT FOR EX AIM. She can cross up and go straight into her SMP loop from there. If she has 75+ meter, then try to space yourself so that EX Aim can't cross-up and be ready to throw her out of a roll. God help you if you're the one in the corner.

Footsies is a player aspect.

So it's not really so much that Akihiko can't get it done.

Interesting thing to keep in mind I just saw in a match: Maziodyne does not wipe Naoto's traps, so don't think you're safe just by using it > OMC > run forward.

Maziodyne can still help clear away traps if they're already visible (Naoto's traps can't be hit until you move close enough to them to make them visible).

Maziodyne can still help clear away traps if they're already visible (Naoto's traps can't be hit until you move close enough to them to make them visible).

Well I meant more in the usual situation of -> Maziodyne on wakeup -> OMC -> run forward to pressure naoto while she's stuck blocking Maziodyne. It won't kill (invisible) traps so beware.

Obviously if you actually hit Naoto the traps will pop as well.